• ベストアンサー

He's a cop, and a ~の訳

He's a cop, and a great one, having made detective in Vice at the ripe old age of mid-twenty-something. こちらの訳を教えてください。よろしくお願いいたします。

noname#223717
noname#223717
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

普通、the ripe old age = 熟した老齢期: http://ejje.weblio.jp/sentence/content/%E7%86%9F%E3%81%97%E3%81%9F しかし、この文章では逆説的な意味で使われています。つまり、風俗班の刑事に mid-twenty-something の年齢で昇進するのは驚くほどの若さです。 「彼は警官だ。それに優秀な警官で、なんと20代半ばの時にもはや風俗班の刑事に昇進したんですよ。」 ご参考までに。

noname#223717
質問者

お礼

お礼が遅くなりまして申し訳ありません。丁寧に説明をいただきましてありがとうございました。文章の意味がよく分かりました。

その他の回答 (1)

• cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

彼は警官、しかも優秀な警官さ。20代半ばだったっけか?その若さで当然のごとく風俗班の刑事に昇進したんだからな。 [注] "at the ripe old age" とは 「十分に成熟した年頃で」という意味ですが、ここでは、20代半ばの若さで出世した刑事に対する嫌味で言っています。

noname#223717
質問者

お礼

お礼が遅くなりまして申し訳ありません。おかげで意味が良く分かりました。ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 長文訳おねがいします。

He says, “If Mick Jagger can make a comeback at an old age, why can not I”? Wolfgang is almost 70. He is an artist. In his homeland, Germany, he is very famous. フォルフガングはほぼ70歳です。彼は歌手です。彼の故郷はジャーマニーです。彼はとても有名 He paints sunlight very well. Everybody praises him. 彼はよく日光を描きます。みんなが彼を称賛する。 At the age of 65, he sold his luxurious France chalet, and moved to a small farm in Australia. In Germany and France, he held parties for rich customers. Now, he cuts the lawn and repairs the house. The tie and suit are gone. Only shorts and slippers are left. Wolfgang works like a 20-year-old. Elizabeth is over 80. She works full-time at the U.S. District Court in Chicago. She staeted there over 50 years ago. She is a judicial assistant. She edits legal documents, and sometimes she argues with law clerks. She remembers some big-time cases. On her desk she has a sign. It says “Things young, and you will feel young.” So, how old is “old”? 至急お願いします;;

• 同意文作成問題の解答を教えて下さい(高校受験)

(1)Will you wait here for me?  Will you wait here (     )I come back? (2)He went up to Tokyo at the age of twenty.  He went up to Tokyo (     )he (     )twenty. (3)I am tired because I worked hard.  I am tired (     )(     )hard work. (4)While he was staying in Paris,he visited his old friend.  (     )his(     )in Paris,he visited his old friend. (5)When I was going to station,I saw a friend of mine.  I saw a friend of mine (     )my(     )to station. (6)Look at the girl who has a beautiful lily in her hand.  Look at the girl (     )a beautiful lily in her hand.

• years old と year old

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 下記に挙げます二つの英文の違いが分からず、困り果てております。 1,She lived sixteen miles from London in the village of Highbury and at nearly twenty-one-years old she thought her life was perfect. 2,Seventeen-year old Harriet Smith had been a pupil at the school in Highbury. 教えていただきたいのですが、なぜ、1の英文では 「twenty-one-years old」とyearの後ろにsが付くのに、2の英文ではsがつかないのでしょうか? どなたか、教えてはいただけないでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文の訳

英文の和訳をよろしくお願いします! From 1978 to 1982, he sailed around the globe north and south, though he stopped at some ports along the route. If a person sails around the world alone by yacht, that is news. But Horie has made it three times! Moreover, when he set out on his third around-the-world voyage, he was already 66 years old.

• "and"の訳

Women do smile more than men, but when occupying similar work and social roles, the differences in the rate of smiling disappear, a Yale researcher has found.  Also, there are large differences in the degree to which men smile less than women depending on a person’s culture, ethnicity, age, or when people think they are being observed, according to the study funded by the National Science Foundation.  “It would be interesting to look at these data because the wide cultural, ethnic and other differences suggest that the sex difference is not something fixed and impossible to change,” said Marianne LaFrance, professor of psychology at Yale. “This is not determined by the fact of being male or female. Each culture gives men and women rules about appropriate behavior for men and women.” (質問) 上記文章の3段落目のandの訳は「~しながら(それでいて)」でよろしいでしょうか? the sex difference is not something fixed and impossible to change の部分。

• 訳お願いします。

An ex-cop overreacts to seeing his grandson point a water pistol at him, and he takes the kid down to "remove the threat." 元刑事が孫息子に水鉄砲を向けられて過剰反応して、takes the kid downして脅威を取り除いた? takes the kid downが分かりません。

• よろしくお願いします

am a 17-year-old girl living in a stable home with a protective, loving family. I play basketball and have practice or training five days a week. I get one-on-one training from my assistant coach, who is 22 years old. He sends me links to articles and videos about basketball almost daily. These often turn into a conversation that ends up being about something else besides basketball. There’s been nothing sexual at all—he’s a really decent guy who has never made me feel uncomfortable. It’s just friendly conversation with some teasing in there, which is the part I’m a little hesitant about. I really like him, but because he’s my coach I’d never want to pull something with him and get him in trouble. in thereはどのような意味(何のこと)でしょうか?あと、pull somethingの意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• この英文の訳わかるかたおしえてください(長文です)

この英文の訳わかるかたおしえてください(長文です) But what `s so special about the man who is called the naked chef? I t stared one day in 1997. At that time Jamie was working at the famous river café in London. H e appeared on television as part of a documentary about the restaurant. H is passion , his easygoing style. And his good looks made an impression . soon he was the star of a cooking program whose title is the naked chef . it was an overnight success. He was only 21years old. 本の一部です。訳がわからないのでわかるかたながくなりますが教えてください

• 訳を手伝ってもらえませんか?

自分で訳しました。 曖昧にしかわからなかったので、確かな訳が知りたいです。 間違えを指摘して正しい和訳を教えてください。 お願いします。 1.The sun having set, we hurried to our home. 太陽が沈んで、私たちは急いで家に帰った。 2.You should have come with us any day when it was convenient for you. あなたは都合のいい時にいつでも私と一緒にくるべきです。 3.Having received a telegram, he flew home, only to find his father dead. 彼は家について電話を受け取った。結局~ 4.That was somrhing he was at a lose to explain, much less understand. 彼は説明することを失い、理解もできなかった。

• 誰かこの物語を日本語に略してください。お願いしま

One day, a hungry fox was walking in the forest. His stomach grumbled as he looked for something to eat. Finally, he saw a bunch of ripe, juicy grapes hanging from a high vine. The fox looked at the round, perfect grapes and drool began to drip and splash as he thought how delicious they would be. the fox tried to reach the grapes but they were too high. He would have to jump. the fox sprang into the air and snapped at the grapes but he missed.Next,he took a running leap,but missed again and thumped down to the ground with no grapes. Again and again ,he jumped but the fox just could not reach the grapes.Finally, he sat ,huffing and puffing and looked at the high grapes one last time.「Bah!Look at those old,wrinkled grapes. They are probably sour anyway. Why am I wasting my time trying to get them? said the Fox. In the end, the fox went home still hungry,listening to his empty stomach growl all the way.