Understanding the meaning of 'to go with' and 'mixed in with'

このQ&Aのポイント
  • I am currently translating English articles as a hobby and I am struggling with how to translate certain phrases.
  • I need help understanding the meaning of 'to go with' and 'mixed in with'.
  • In the context of the article, it seems to refer to combining or including certain movies in a list, but I'm not sure.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文記事で分からないところがあります。

いま、英文記事を趣味で訳しているのですが、なんて訳せばよいか、 困っています。 Lincoln, Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan to go with E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind mixed in with the Indiana Jones series and that seminal classic Jaws? この中で、"to go with E.T." と "mixed in with the Indiana Jones series" がよくわかりません。 構造的には、 [Lincoln, Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan] to go with [E.T.] /and [Close Encounters of the Third Kind] mixed in with [the Indiana Jones series and that seminal classic Jaws]?   だと思うのですが…。 「リンカーン」「シンドラーのリスト」「プライベート・ライアン」???「E.T.」 そして、「未知との遭遇」???「インディー・ジョーンズ」そして、あの名作中の名作「ジョーズ」 どなたか、"to go with" と "mixed in with" の意味を、教えてください。 ちなみに全文は、下記のURLで閲覧することができます。 http://time100.time.com/2013/04/18/time-100/slide/steven-spielberg/

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • golime
  • ベストアンサー率33% (35/106)
回答No.2

構造なんですが、 [(1)Lincoln, Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan] to go with [(2)E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind] mixed in with [(3)the Indiana Jones series and that seminal classic Jaws]? ではないかと思います。 映画の種類でいくと、前段(1)は人道的、シリアスな側面の大きい作品、 (2)中盤は人道的内容にエンターテイメント性の中間的位置づけ、 (3)最後はエンターテイメント性のほうが強い作品 と分けられると思います。 したがって、人道的映画からエンターテイメント性の高い映画までを 2つずつ例示した文章ですが、それがスピルバーグ監督の場合 若い頃はエンターテイメント、年老いてから人道的、というふうに 時代的に一方向に続けて製作されているわけでなく ときにはエンターテイメント性の高いもの、今度は人道的、というふうに 製作されているので、 意味的には (例をあげれば)リンカーン、シンドラーのリスト(といった人道的作品)に加えて (ややエンターテイメント性の高い)ET,未知との遭遇、 さらには(高いエンターテイメント性により大成功した) インディジョーンズやあの不朽の名作ジョーズ(など) といったところで、上記のカッコ内を除いていただいたあたりが この訳のおとしどころかなと思いますがいかがでしょうか。

ralph-ailing
質問者

お礼

大変、ご丁寧なご回答を、誠にありがとうございます。 お礼を申し上げるのが、大変、遅くなってしまい、本当に申し訳ありません。 golime さまのご解説を読んで、「目からウロコ」です。 私は、そもそも、構造の解釈を間違えていたのですね(恥) でも、言われてみれば、そうですね。 golime さまがご教示くださったように分けていくと、 きれいに、映画のジャンルが分類されますね。 ところで、「不朽の名作」って、いい訳ですね。 これも、参考にさせていただきたいと思います。 大変、ためになるご回答をありがとうございました。 お礼を申し上げるのが遅くなった無礼を、どうぞ、お許しくださいませ。 そして、これからも、私の質問が目に留まられましたら、 どうぞ、ご回答をよろしくお願いいたします。

その他の回答 (3)

• pank09
  • ベストアンサー率60% (14/23)
回答No.4

「インディー・ジョーンズ」シリ-ズやあの独創的な最高傑作「ジョーズ」と趣をことにし、且つ 「E.T.」や「未知との遭遇」と路線を同じくする「リンカーン」「シンドラーのリスト」や「プライベート・ライアン」 to go with:1.~とともに進む、~と一緒に行く、~に伴う  -略-   9.~の線[路線]で行く mixed in with:混入する。→ここでは、スト-リの異なったものが混ざってるという意味。

ralph-ailing
質問者

お礼

ご回答をいただき、誠にありがとうございます。 お礼を申し上げるのが、大変、遅くなってしまい、本当に申し訳ございません。 私は、すでに、構造の解釈から間違えてしまっていたのですね。 ○「リンカーン」「シンドラーのリスト」「プライベート・ライアン」 ○「E.T.」「未知との遭遇」 ○「インディー・ジョーンズ」「ジョーズ」 と分類されるのですね。 また、"to go with" と "mixed in with" の意味を、ご丁寧に教えてくださって ありがとうございました。 ここでいただいた三人のご回答者さま方のご回答を参考にさせていただきながら、 今一度、自分なりの訳を考え直してみたいと思います。 本当にありがとうございました。

• golime
  • ベストアンサー率33% (35/106)
回答No.3

No.2です。すいません、ちょっと書き落としたこと。 >時代的に一方向に続けて製作されているわけでなく >ときにはエンターテイメント性の高いもの、今度は人道的、というふうに >製作されているので、 というふうに制作されているので to go with ~とともに mixed in with ~にまじって という言葉が使われていると思います。 というのを書き落としました。 to go with や mixed in withは言葉の意味というよりは 作品の例示のされかたをみると どうして「一緒に」とか「まじって」という言葉が 使われるのかおわかりいただけるかと思います(^^)

ralph-ailing
質問者

お礼

ご丁寧に補足をいただき、ありがとうございます。 ここでいただいたご回答も参考にさせていただきながら、 私なりに、訳を考え直してみたいと思います。 本当に、ありがとうございました。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1.  まず、これ全体の枠から見て行きます。 What other director in the history of cinema has given us such a range of indelible films —     「映画の歴史で、忘れることの出来ないこれほど幅広い作品を見せてくれた監督が(スピールバーグの)他に居るだろうか?」     という疑問文の後に続くリストです。      ですから、その幅の広さの例示が続くことは予想されます。 2。  まず、ご質問の順に、次の略号を使わせていただきます。L、SL、SPR、E.T.、 CE、 IJ、 J。 構造的には、L、SL、SPR to go with E.T.,CE mixed with IJ、 J という平面的な物で「E.T.,CE と同類視される L、SL、SPR があると思えば、それが IJ、 J と混じっている」と言う意味でしょう。    どなたか、"to go with" と "mixed in with" の意味を、教えてください。     "to go with" =「~とともに行く」>「~と同類である」     "mixed in with" =「~と混じっている」     これらはむしろスピールバーグの作品の多様性を誇張するための言葉の綾でしょう。 意味の相違と言う寄りが言葉を変えて同じことを言っているだけだと思います。     

ralph-ailing
質問者

お礼

ご丁寧なご回答をいただき、誠にありがとうございます。 お礼を申し上げるのが、大変、遅くなってしまい、本当に、申し訳ございません。 ところで、No.2のご回答者さまより、 L、SL/SPR、ET/CE、IJ という構造ではないかとのご指摘を頂きました。 私も今では、そちらの解釈の方が、正しいような気がしています。 ところで、"to go with" と "mixed in with" の意味をご教示くださって、 ありがとうございます。 皆様よりいただきましたご回答を参考にさせていただきながら、 今一度、自分なりに訳を考え直してみたいと思います。 本当にありがとうございました。

ralph-ailing
質問者

補足

すみません。 もう一度、SPS700さまのご回答を読ませていただいたところ、 SPRさまも同じように、構造をとらえていらっしゃったのですね。 大変、失礼いたしました。

関連するQ&A

• 英文を訳して下さい。

to bless your's job, strengthen her to achieve the goal of her career, to be an excellent in your work with satisfaction and good channel in good things. bless me to be an outstanding businessman to help more people with the wisdom and talent from God. Dear Father God, help us to achieve our career and financial goal that we would have more time for our sweet relationship and love. May Go bless us to be the blessings to people via our jobs. よろしくお願いします。

• わからない英文があります

下記の会話でSethが言っていること(両方)を訳してください! Seth: oh really...ok Ryan let me present exhibit A to you. she opted to forgo sailing to go to the crab shack. Ryan: so, not everyone likes sailing. Seth: ok lets take it to exhibit B here...intense. some would even say smoldering eye contact at the dining room table, she was mad dogging you and finally the clincher, last night in the pool house she chose to sit on your bed even though there was an empty chair available.

• この英文どうでしょうか?

いつか(あなたの国)イギリスにいきたいです。 でも実際、私はほとんど海外旅行はしません。 (日本の)近くのサイパンや韓国には遊びに行きますが。 仕事が忙しいために、長期の休みを取るのが難しいのです。 Someday,I want to go to U.K. , but in reality i seldom go to travel abroad. I go to play to nearby, saipan , guam and korea ... though i am busy with my work, I am difficult to have long vacation. 自分なりに調べて書いたのですが、自信がありません。

• 英文を訳して下さい。

The Battle of the River Cherna opened with the Serbians trying to gain a foothold on its northern bank. Initially their progress was slow and further west the French and Russian initial attacks were repulsed. During the next weeks the battle developed in a series of attacks and counter-attacks in which the Allies were gradually gaining ground, owing to their artillery superiority. The Bulgarian and German commands also tried to stabilize the situation by reinforcing the Eleventh Army with troops transferred from the First and even from the Second Army.

• 日本語訳をお願いします

日本語訳をお願いします。 So our only option was to go to that place and try to find ballet somewhere or six months did Ryan in Kuwait.

• ナショナルジオグラフィックの英文記事の英文の意味を教えてください

下記はナショナルジオグラフィックの、南米に棲むジャガーについての記事ですが、臨場感を持たすため(多分)、筆者は現在形で書いています。 下記は、若いオスが、巣離れしたはいいが、人里近くに来てしまったという箇所です。 2文目 の冒頭が Creeping close ~になっていますが、これは、 カンマのあとの箇所(he instantly ~)との文脈を考えると、 After creeping close before ~ または After he crept close before~のほうが正しいのではないかと思って、考えているうちにわからなくなり、ご教授いただければと思ったしだいです。 どうして、Creeping close ~ なのでしょうか? どなたか教えていただけないでしょうか? どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 He’s now in a land of cattle ranches, and one night his hunger and the smell of a newborn calf overcome his reluctance to cross open areas. Creeping close before a final rush, he instantly kills the calf with one snap of his powerful jaws.

• 次の英文の和訳をお願いします。

The American Journal of Public Health continues to be a leader in the field of Public Health, publishing quality research that is highly cited. Our 2013 impact factor is 4.229, an increase over last year, and ranks the journal #4 out of 136 titles in the Public, Environmental and Occupational Health category in the Social Sciences Citation Index and #14 of 160 titles in the same category for the Science Index. Dr. John Ruffin, Director of the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities, was interveiwed by Dr. Stephen Thomas and Dr. Sandra Quinn of the University of Maryland Center for Health Equity and Guest Editors of this theme issue. Dr. Ruffin discusses a variety of issues related to the importance of including minorities in research, the changing demographics of the US population, new challenges for researchers, the value of community participation, and how minority inclusion research is "not one size fits all." In the wake of the tragic shooting at the Washington, DC, Naval Yard on Monday, September 16, 2013, the journal has compiled a collection of papers and other resources to help promote awareness and policy change surrounding gun violence, veterans health, and suicide. For those seeking more information on organizations that work with victims of gun violence and other types of violence, please consult Chapter 11 from APHA's book, Confronting Violence. Additionally, the following articles and content have been unlocked to public viewing: Shim et al: Primary Care, Behavioral Health, and Public Health: Partners in Reducing Mental Health Stigma. Lewiecki et al: Suicide, Guns, and Public Policy. Siegel et al: The Relationship Between Gun Ownership and Firearm Homicide Rates in the United States, 1981–2010. Henderson et al: Mental Illness Stigma, Help Seeking, and Public Health Programs. Magruder et al: The Role of Pain, Functioning, and Mental Health Suicidality Among Veterans Affairs Primary Care Patients. Keyes et al: To Flourish or Not: Positive Mental Health and All-Cause Mortality. Kaplan et al: Suicide Risk and Precipitating Circumstances Among Young, Middle-Aged, and Older Male Veterans. Vernick et al: Availability of Litigation as a Public Health Tool for Firearm Injury Prevention: Comparison of Guns, Vaccines, and Motor Vehicles. Branas et al: Investigating the Link Between Gun Possession and Gun Assault. Fledderus et al: Mental Health Promotion as a New Goal in Public Mental Health Care: A Randomized Controlled Trial of an Intervention Enhancing Psychological Flexibility. Druss et al: Mental Health Promotion in a Reformed Health Care System. Davis et al: Reduced Mortality Among Department of Veterans Affairs Patients With Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder Lost to Follow-Up and Engaged in Active Outreach to Return for Care. Lane et al: Prevalence of Perceived Stress and Mental Health Indicators Among Reserve-Component and Active-Duty Military Personnel. Ilgen et al: Patterns of Treatment Utilization Before Suicide Among Male Veterans With Substance Use Disorders. Katz et al: Lessons Learned From Mental Health Enhancement and Suicide Prevention Activities in the Veterans Health Administration.

• 英文これでいいですか?

〇車に財布忘れたから取りに行って来る I forget my walet in the car so I'll go to take. ★〇〇さんもあなたと一緒に来る? Are you going to be here with 〇〇? お願いします

• 英文レターを書いてみたんですが・・・

文章に自身がありません。おかしいところがあったら直して欲しいのですが・・・。よろしくお願いします。 Thank you for your kind letter and great pictures. I often see these pictures and it reminds me when I have stayed in _____. Someday I hope to go your country again. Take care of yourself and please regards to your family. With best wishes,

• この英文について教えてください

下記の英文のseem to end up with face down in the snowの部分がよくわかりません。 withは付帯状況と呼ばれるものだと思いますが、訳してみても今ひとつよくわかりません。 My sisters and I have made up all kinds of races and games that always seem to end up with me face down in the snow. 英語に詳しい方がいらっしゃったら、どのように解釈したらよいかご教授をお願いいたします。