Anecdote: A Funny Story of Ancestry

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In this anecdote, Dumas cleverly responds to a question about his ancestry, jokingly stating that his great-grandfather was a baboon, implying that his ancestry predates that of the interviewer.
  • The humorous aspect of this joke lies in Dumas' sarcastic remark, suggesting that his lineage is far superior and ancient compared to the reporter's.
  • The joke highlights the absurdity of placing importance on one's ancestry and mocks the interviewer's fascination with the topic.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

Anecdote

以下のジョークはどこがおもしろいのでしょう? どなたか教えて下さいませんか? 先祖の出身を聞かれたDumas がアタマに来て 曾祖父はヒヒだ、と言ったら、 「ヒヒ! 私の先祖は貴方の先祖が終わったところから始まったんだ」ですよね? どういう意味なのでしょう? The elder Dumas was once interviewed by an enterprising reporter, who, like many other admirers of the novelist, was curious about his ancestry."Is it true that you are a quadroon, M.Dumas?" he asked."I am sir," Dumas replied. "So your father ---?" "Was a mulatto." "And your grandfather ---?" "Was a negro." Dumas' patience was running out but the reporter was a bold man. He continued: "And may I inquire who your great-grand father was?" "A baboon, sir !" thundered Drumas. "A baboon ! my ancestry begins where yours ends !"

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#140046
noname#140046
回答No.1

もしかしたら、あなたは最後のせりふが reporter のせりふだと勘違いされていませんか? これはデュマのせりふです。 つまり、あんまりしつこい質問に対して、頭にきてこう答えたのです。「そのまた先祖はヒヒですよ。そう、ヒヒ。あんたのご先祖もヒヒだったでしょ? あんたの先祖はそこで進化を止めちまったんです。(ほら、あんたはヒヒそのまんまじゃないですか。)しかし、わたしの先祖はそこから進化を続けてきたのですよ!」 すんごいジョークですね。 英語のせりふを読む場合は、日本語以上にせりふが途中で、「~とかれは言った」などで区切られることが多いということを意識しておきましょう。

toko0503
質問者

お礼

わぁぁぁ、そうだったんですか!! その前の会話の流れから読んでくると、確かにそうですよね。なるほど、痛烈なジョークな訳ですね。ichi-kumiさま、ありがとうございました!! これですっきりしました。

関連するQ&A

• ここの訳について

Then Gawain was glad, and he too laughed joyously. I thank you, sir, for this news - and greatly also for your kindness.←本文 この本文のsir,からの訳がよくわかりません。 どなたか最適な訳を教えていただけないでしょうか? 自分なりの解釈としては 「感謝しています、男爵様、この便りに対して、そしてまた大いにも、あなたの親切のためです。」です。 どうかよろしくお願いします。

• 「お父さんの小さい時にそっくりね」は英語では?

ある子どもを見て、「あなたは、パパの小さいときにそっくりだよ」と英語で言いたいとします。 何て言ったらいいのでしょうか? You really look like your father ......で、どう続けたらいいのでしょう。 このままでは「(今の時点での)お父さんにそっくり」でしょうし。 かと言って、You really look like your father when he was a child. だと 「お父さんが(昔)子どもだったとき、あなたは彼(お父さん)に似てる」という、 現実的に不可能な文章になりますよね…。 ご存じの方、教えてください。ご回答お待ちしております。

• 和訳

これの和訳お願いしますO(><;)(;><)O ↓ ↓ A young man was getting ready to graduate from college. For many months he had admired a beautiful sports car in a dealer's showroom,knowing his father could well afford it. As graduation day approached the young man waited for signs that his father had bought the car. Finally,on the morning of his graduation,his father called him into his private study. His father told him how proud he was to have such a fine son,and told him how much he loved him. He handed his son a beautifully wrapped gift box. Curious,but somewhat disappointed,the young man opened the box and found a lovely,leather-bound Bible,with theyouog man'sname embossed in gold. Angry,he raised his voice to his father and said,“With all your money,you give me a Bible?” and stormed out of house,leaving the Bible.

• 英作の添削のお願い

英作の添削をお願いします。 「お父さんはイチゴジャムをパンにのせて食べてジャムをほめたわよ。それからもう2切れ、全部で3枚も食べたのよ。」 自分作の英文 Putting the strawberry jam on a slice of bread and eating it,your father praised it. Then he ate another two slices so the total he ate was three. 何か不自然な箇所があればよろしくお願いします。

• 英語 訳

この2つの英文の訳がいまいちわかりません。 1つは、your Father had an accident there;he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor. と、画像のItからfortnight!の訳もお願いいたします。

• for what he was

Abby had an emotionally abusive alcoholic father, and she recognized my boyfriend for what he was. for what he wasとfor who he wasの違いについて教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英文の和訳を希望します

和訳をしていただけるかたのみで、 お願いできますでしょうか? 1つの段落の後半部分となります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 He liked music, dance and prophecy ands poetry and may have liked to travel a restless character He may have played a musical instrument, and did not much like work or hard labor, though he was a dutiful man. He would have worked long and hard for poor return in the past and developed no taste for it. He was the keeper of family secrets. People could confide in him knowing it would go no further. When they were small your soul mates father would have seemed to have had a cold and forbidding exterior. Stern gruff traditional, occasionally cruel and harsh;. The dominant head of the house. But as the children grew older they could see through this father act, to his wealth of kinder character and his love and affection. He had many material goods and was practical and prosperous.

• 大至急、翻訳をお願い致します。

“He is the only person I’ve ever seen change their body type. He was chunky, or he was like a linebacker or a quarterback or football player, and he starved himself to the point where he was like a fashion model all of a sudden, he was all just skin and bones. He kept it his for whole life, I was like, how did you change your body? He did it, and I don’t know how he did it.” “I don’t think he was taking any diet aids, he wasn’t into that speed stuff, he was into the other stuff.”

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

I was doing some last-minute Christmas shopping in a toy store and decided to look at Barbie dolls for my nieces. A nicely dressed little girl was excitedly looking through the Barbie dolls as well, with a roll of money clamped tightly in her little hand. When she came upon a Barbie she liked, she would turn and ask her father if she had enough money to buy it. He usually said "yes," but she would keep looking and keep going through their ritual of "do I have enough?"  As she was looking, a little boy wandered in across the aisle and started sorting through the Pokemon toys. He was dressed neatly, but in clothes that were obviously rather worn, and wearing a jacket that was probably a couple of sizes too small. He too had money in his hand, but it looked to be no more than five dollars or so at the most. He was with his father as well, and kept picking up the Pokemon video toys. Each time he picked one up and looked at his father, his father shook his head,"no".

• 和訳して下さい

Hamlet was naturally very upset by what he had done to Ponius. After all,the young prince was at heart a kind and gentle person. But he had more important things on his mind. He dropped his bloody sword and began admonishing his mother once again.He held up two drawings in front of her. One was of the late king,his father.The other was of Claudius.“Mother,"placeed Hamlet,“can't you see the difference? You must be able to see what a good man my father was,and what a villain your new husband is!" But at that moment,the old ghost reappeared out of nowhere.“Hamlet,"it said in the same eerie voice,“have you forgotten that you gave me your word? Why are you causing your mother so much agony? And why are you still hesitating? Get on with it!" Hamlet started to explain himself,but the ghost vanished as quickly as it had appeared.