Japan's Holocaust Education Center in Fukuyama City: Learning from Tragedy

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Japan has its own Holocaust museum, the Holocaust Education Center in Fukuyama City, Hiroshima Prefecture. Built in 1995, it houses donated items related to the Holocaust and serves as a place for learning and reflection.
  • Mr. Otsuka, inspired by a meeting with the father of Anne Frank, dedicated his life to promoting peace and understanding. He studied Hebrew and visited concentration camps in Europe to learn more about the Jews and the Holocaust.
  • The center aims to educate visitors about the Holocaust and encourage them to think about their role in creating a peaceful world. It has received over 12,000 visitors since its new building opened in 2007.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳してください(+_+)

There are about 350 Holocaust museums in the world and among them the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum and Yad Vashem in Israel are famous. But did you know Japan has this kind of facility, too? The Holocaust Education Center in Fukuyama City, Hiroshima Prefecture was built in 1995 and houses items related to the Holocaust that have been donated from around the world. Mr.Otsuka has been going to church since he was a child. As his pastor's way of living made a deep impression on him, he too became a pastor. A turning point in his life came when he visited Netanya in Israel in 1971 as a member of a chorus group. An old man came to speak to him in English when he was about to take lunch with other group members in a restaurant. "You are Japanese, aren't you? Would you plese sing a Japanese song?" After Mr.Otsuka and his group finished singing, the gentleman thanked them for it and began to talk. "You probably know the diary which my daughter wrote, don't you? I'm the father of Anne Frank." After this opportunity, a dialog between Mr.Otsuka and Mr.Frank began. "Peace will be born from mutual understanding. Please be a person who can do something to create peace in the world; do not only sympathize with the tragic death of Anne and other victims." Mr.Otsuka was moved by what Mr. Frank said and went to Israel to study Hebrew. He visited the concentration camps in Europe because he wanted to know more about the Jews and the Holocaust. Six million Jews are said to have lost their lives because of the Holocaust. Mr. Otsuka was shocked to know that among them were 1.5 million children. Since he wanted to show exhibits to Japanese children, he made up his mind to built a memorial center in Japan. Otsuka wrote letters explaining that he had little money for his project but plenty of passion and sent them to lots of people involved in the Holocaust and various facilities. After a while, packages came to him from all over the world : an inmate's uniform, a box containing ashes, and so on. Someone handed him a passport that was a memento of their family, and one painter offered pictures he had painted of the camp, saying, "You may take any pictures you like." Mr. Frank donated pictures of his family and some of the everyday items they had used. To make the exhibits accessible to everyone, Otsuka put English and furigana above every kanji character used in the explanations. A new building was opened in 2007. The room in which Anne hid and her diary were reproduced there. These are the only approved reproductions outside of Europe. After the death of Mr. Frank, one of his typewriters was given to the center and is now exhibited, too. Approximately 12,000 visitors have come to the center in the year since the new building was opened, twice the number before the renewal. All sorts of people, from kindergarten pupils to adults, visit the Holocaust Education Center. "This is a facility where not only will you learn the truth about the Holocaust, but you will also think about what you yourself can do to make peace for the world," Otsuka says. "I never heard Mr. Erank say anything hateful. I have been continuously questioning in my heart why the Holocaust occurred. Students from over 700 schools have visited the Holocaust Education Center. I hope all the children in Japan will visit it, and also wish that this center will be a place from which they are sending peace to the world, " Otsuka says.

• ryr
  • お礼率89% (17/19)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

およそ350のホロコースト博物館が世界にあります、そして、それらの中では、米国のホロコースト記念博物館とイスラエルのヤド・ヴァシェムが有名です。 しかし、あなたは、日本にもこの種の施設があるということを知っていましたか? 広島県、福山市のホロコースト教育センターは、1995年に造られました、そして、世界中から寄付されたホロコーストに関する品目を所蔵しています。 子供の頃から、大塚氏は教会に通っていました。 彼の牧師の生き方が彼に深い印象を与えたために、彼も牧師になりました。 コーラス・グループのメンバーとして1971年にイスラエルのネタニアを訪問したとき、彼の人生の転機が訪れました。 彼がレストランで昼食を他のグループのメンバーと一緒にとろうとしていた時、一人の老人が来て彼に英語で話しかけました。 「あなたは日本人ですね? 日本の歌を歌ってもらえますか?」 大塚氏と彼のグループが歌い終わったあと、紳士は彼らにそれに対して感謝して、話し始めました。 「あなたは、娘が書いた日記を多分知っているでしょうね? 私は、アンネ・フランクの父です。」 この機会の後、大塚氏とフランク氏の間の対話は、始まりました。 「平和は、相互理解から生まれます。 世界で平和を生み出すために何かすることができる人になってください; アンネと他の犠牲者の悲劇的な死に共鳴するだけにしないで下さい」 大塚氏は、フランク氏が言った事に感動して、ヘブライ語を学ぶために、イスラエルに行きました。 ユダヤ人とホロコーストについてより多くを知りたかったので、彼はヨーロッパの強制収容所を訪問しました。 600万人のユダヤ人が、ホロコーストのために、彼らの命を失ったと言われています。 大塚氏は、彼らの中に150万人の子供たちがいた事を知ってショックを受けました。 彼は日本の子供たちに展示を示したかったので、記念センターを日本に建てることを決心しました。 大塚氏は多くの情熱以外プロジェクトのためのお金がほとんどない事を手紙に書きました、そして、それらをホロコーストに関わった多くの人々や様々な施設に送りました。 しばらくして、小包が世界中から彼のもとに届きました: 収容者の制服、灰の入った箱、等でした。 誰かが、彼に家族の記念であったパスポートを手渡しました、そして、1人の画家は彼が描いたキャンプの絵を提供しました。そして、「あなたは、気に入った絵はどれでもお取り下さい」と言いました。 フランク氏は、彼の家族の写真と彼らが使った日常的な品物のいくつかを、寄付しました。 展示物を誰でも理解しやすくするために、説明で使われるあらゆる漢字に、大塚は英語と振り仮名を付けました。 新しい建物は、2007年に開業しました。 アンが隠れた部屋と彼女の日記は、そこで複製されました。 これらは、ヨーロッパ以外で唯一の承認された複製です。 フランク氏の死亡後、彼のタイプライターの1台が、センターに贈られて、現在、それも展示されています。 新しい建物が開かれた時から、およそ12,000人の訪問客が、一年間にセンターにやって来ました、これは改装前の二倍の数でした。 いろいろな人々、幼稚園児から大人までが、ホロコースト教育センターを訪問します。 「これは、ホロコーストについての事実を学ぶだけでなく、世界のために平和を生み出すためにあなた自身、何ができるかについて、考える施設でもあります」と、大塚は言います。 「私は、フランク氏が憎しみのこもった事を言うのを一度も聞きませんでした。 私は、心の中でずっと、なぜホロコーストが起こったのか尋ね続けてきました。 700校以上の学校の学生が、ホロコースト教育センターを訪問しました。 私は、日本のすべての子供たちがそこを訪問することを望んでいます、そして、このセンターが彼らが平和を世界に向けて発信する場所になることを願っています」と、大塚は言います。 <参考> http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9B%E3%83%AD%E3%82%B3%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B9%E3%83%88 http://www.urban.ne.jp/home/hecjpn/

ryr
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 助かりますっ。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳

When we think of Chagall’s works,bright and beautiful and pictures come to mind. But this picture expresses a dark and tragic mood. People are running to escape the fighting. Some Jewish buildings are being set on fire. In the center we can see the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. We also see a few Jewish rabbis. Is this just a religious picture? Chagall did not live only in a word of beautiful imagery. His pictures sometimes expressed the chaos around him. In his younger days,he had hard times during World War I and the Russian Revolution. In 1935,Chagall visited Poland and was shocked to find that the Jewish people were being treated badly. He foresaw great danger for the Jewish people,and the start of another war. He painted pictures warning the world of the danger. Soon after that,World War II broke out and the Holocaust began. In 1940 the Nazis took over Paris. He feared for his safety and moved to the United States in 1941.

• 至急 和訳お願いします

When we think of Chagall's works, bright and beautiful pictures come to mind. But this picture expresses a dark ando tragic mood. People are running to escape the fighting. Some jewish buildings are being set on fire. In the center we can see the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. We also see a few jewish rappis. Is this just a religious picture? Chagall did not live only in a world of beautiful imagery. His pictures sometimes expressed the chaos around him. In his younger days, he had hard times during World War I and the Russian Revolution. In 1935, Chagall visited Poland and was shocked to find that the Jewish people were being treated badly. He foresaw great danger for the Jewish peopl, and the start of another war. He painted pictures warning the world of the danger. Soon after that, World War II broke out and the holocaust began. In 1940 the Nazis took over Paris. He feared for safety and moved to the United States in 1941. この文を和訳して欲しいです。 教科書の一部分なのですが、明日テストなのにわからなくて。

• 和訳をお願いします

和訳をお願いします 1 A fool is one who expects things to happen that never can happen. 2 The deceased left a wife and three little ones. 3 The nurse began to bind the wounds of those inside the hospital. 4 You will never be the man your father was,though you have some of his looks. 5 He ate the meal in silence , and after dinner he busied with a bottle of gin as was his custom. 6 There are houses on either side of the river. よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします

The operative then sums up by saying that Edison seemed dissatisfied and looked as if he had been sick.He thought Edison was all right but was a tool for his bankers,who wanted to make money out of the company. That there was great excitement and speculation in the district about Wall Street at the time,the following clipping(one out of many)proves:THE EDISON BOOM.HOW LONG,HOWLONG!!(under the above heading,The New York World in one of its early issues of January,1880,runs the following comment): Kirkland&Milliken,of 47 Williams Street,reported yesterday that speculators are anxious to trade in Edison Electric Light Company stock,and that investors are picking up five and ten share lots.Mr.Laportas,of the firm,said to a World reporter that two shares were sold vesterdav at $3,500 each,but that lots of ten shares, which are more desirable,are in strong demand and are worth $5,000to $5,000 a share.Our of the largest shareholders,who was offered $700,000 last week for 200 shares,was bid $800,000 cash last night,and says that he won't sell under $1,000,000.

• 和訳して下さい

Hamlet was naturally very upset by what he had done to Ponius. After all,the young prince was at heart a kind and gentle person. But he had more important things on his mind. He dropped his bloody sword and began admonishing his mother once again.He held up two drawings in front of her. One was of the late king,his father.The other was of Claudius.“Mother,"placeed Hamlet,“can't you see the difference? You must be able to see what a good man my father was,and what a villain your new husband is!" But at that moment,the old ghost reappeared out of nowhere.“Hamlet,"it said in the same eerie voice,“have you forgotten that you gave me your word? Why are you causing your mother so much agony? And why are you still hesitating? Get on with it!" Hamlet started to explain himself,but the ghost vanished as quickly as it had appeared.

• 和訳お願いします

和訳お願いします I flew downstairs and turned around as if on a stage,posing and smiling,modeling my new coat for my father who was paying attention to me and telling me how pretty I looked. then he said he wanted me to model the hat,too. “No,Daddy,I just want to show you the coat. Just look at the coat on me!” I said,still swimming around the hallway and trying to avoid the subject of the missing hat. I knew the hat was history. He was giggling,and I thought I was cute and loved because he was laughing and playing with me. We went around a couple times about the hat,and in the middle of his laugh,he slapped me. He slapped me hard on the face, and I didn't understand why. At the sharp sound of his hand on my face,my mother shouted,“Mike! What are you doing! What are you doing ! ”She was breathless and surprised. His anger pierced both my mother and me. I just stood there holding my hand to my burning cheek,crying. And then he took my new hat out of his coat pocket.

• 和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたに。 お願いできますでしょうか? 変な箇所があればご指摘いただけるとありがたいです。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 In the period before you meet he may have suffered some ill health. and conditions in his life have been uncertain and subject to frequent change and indecision on his part. He will have put emotional barriers up between himself and others in this period. Or else will feel he was imprisoned without walls, that circumstance have imprison him, he has a life that he seeks escape from. He is sensitive to atmospheres, unspoken hostilities His outer confidence will hide a feeling of weakness and helplessness. and falling in love with you may be a form of escape from the things in his life he is unhappy with. Love will provide him with a kind of liberty, freedom, while he is tied to the limitations and responsibilities of his former existence.

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

For those of you who don’t know who Mr. Arudou Debito is, please allow me to present the following links. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debito_Arudou https://ja.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%9C%89%E9%81%93%E5%87%BA%E4%BA%BA Having looked at both sites, I can say the Japanese Wikipedia article seems to be more thorough. However, the English Wikipedia article talks about the time when he led a protest in Nishi Ward, Yokohama in 2003 against the honorary granting of juuminhyou to Tama-chan the male bearded seal. The protesters even dressed up as seals. The protest was trying to raise the point that if juuminhyou could be granted to animals and cartoon characters, then there was no reason that it couldn’t be granted to foreign residents. Furthermore, in August 2009, Mr. Arudou began a campaign against a McDonald’s Japan advertisement featuring a burger mascot named Mr. James. Mr. Arudou’s grievance was that Mr. James perpetuates negative stereotypes about non-Japanese Caucasian minorities living in Japan. I can tell you that on English-speaking websites, Mr. Arudou is very controversial. The website reddit.com has entire topics devoted to bashing him. There are a number of people who hate his guts. There are people who think he has some legitimate points, but he resorted to extreme measures to get those points across. For the record, he is no longer living in Japan. He moved to Hawaii a number of years ago. Now he spends his time writing articles for The Japan Times. So I would like to ask you. What do you think of Mr. Arudou Debito? After all, Japan was the place where he spent decades of life living and leading protests, campaigns and so on.

• 和訳

こちらの文を和訳していただける方がいましたら よろしくお願いしますm(__)m But his thoughts did not appear on Albert Edward's clean-cut and distinguished features. He stood in 20 respectful but not obsequious attitude. He had in service before he was appointed to his ecclesiastical office, but only in very good houses, and his deport. ment was irreproachable. Starting as a page boy in the household of a merchant prince, he had risen by 25 due degrees from the position of fourth to first footman, for a year he had been single-handed butler to a widowed peeress, and, till the vacancy occurred at St Peter's, butler with two men under him in the house of a retired ambassador. He was tall, spare, grave, and dignified. He looked, if not like a duke, at least like an actor of the old school who specialized duke's parts. He had tact, firmness, and self- s assurance. His character was unimpeachable. The vicar began briskly. Foreman, we've got something rather unpleasant to say to you. You've been here a great many years and I think his lordship and the general agree with me that you've fulfilled the duties of your office to the satisfaction of everybody concerned. The two churchwardens nodded. 'But a most extraordinary circumstance came to my knowledge the other day and I felt it my duty to us impart it to the churchwardens. I discovered to my astonishment that you could neither read nor write.' The verger's face betrayed no sign of embarrass- ment. "The last vicar knew that, sir,' he replied. "He said a it didn't make no difference. He always said there was a great deal too much education in the world for 'is taste.

• 和訳教えてください

He was such a great inspiration to the young and to all in baseball,and above all, to the proud people of his homeland, Puerto Rico. この文の和訳して いただけませんか??