『誰がために鐘が鳴る』の詩から学ぶ人類の結びつき

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 『誰がために鐘が鳴る』の映画に引用された詩は、ジョン・ダンの英文詩であり、人類の結びつきを表現しています。
  • 詩の中で、人は孤独な島ではなく、大陸の一部であり、他の人々と結びついていることが示されています。
  • また、誰かが死ぬと、私たち自身も減少していくことが強調され、人類全体が繋がっていることが伝えられています。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

下記の詩は『誰がために鐘が鳴る』の映画に引用されたものですが(どちらも

下記の詩は『誰がために鐘が鳴る』の映画に引用されたものですが(どちらもネット上からの引用)、同じジョン・ダンの英文詩ですが、何故、最後のところだけ同じで、最初の文節は違っているのでしょうか?英文詩の得意の方、専門家の方で御存じであれば、教えてくださいな。 No man is an island, Entire of itself. Each is a piece of the continent, A part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less. As well as if a promontory were. As well as if a manner of thine own Or of thine friend's were. Each man's death diminishes me, For I am involved in mankind. Therefore, send not to know For whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee. John Donne Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, no. 17 (Meditation) 1624 (published) なんびとも一島嶼にてはあらず、 なんびともみずからにして全きはなし、 人はみな 大陸 くが の 一塊 ひとくれ 、 本土のひとひら そのひとひらの 土塊 つちくれ を、波のきたりて洗いゆけば、 洗われしだけ欧州の土の失せるは、さながらに岬の失せるなり、 汝が友どちや 汝 なれ みずからの 荘園 その の失せるなり、 なんびとのみまかりゆくもこれに似て、 みずからを 殺 そ ぐにひとし、 そはわれもまた人類の一部なれば、 ゆえに問うなかれ、 誰がために鐘は鳴るやと、 そは汝がために鳴るなれば (ジョン・ダン) Meditation XVII, 1624: "All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;(『誰がために鐘が鳴る』) it tolls for thee."

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

「英文詩の得意の方」でも「専門家」でもないので申し訳ないのですが、ざっと調べたところをご報告します。 これは、ともに John Donnne の説教(Meditation XVII)からの引用です。 出現する順番に並べると、 1) "As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come, so this bell calls us all; but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness." 2) "all mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies, one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated;" 3) "No man is an island, entire of itself;" 4) "any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee." となるのですが、質問者さまの下の引用文は 2) → 1) → 3) → 4) という順序に置き換えられています。 As therefore ... で始まる文を 2) の後に置いた方が、自然な流れになるからという理由だったのかもしれません。 「最初の文節は違っている」というより、一つの説教の中からいくつかの部分を抜き出して、それらの順番を変えて配置しなおしたということで、オリジナルの説教の文と異なるように見えるだけで、文自体は正確にコピーされているようです。 それにしても、私の貧弱な読解力で読んでも、過激とも思える説教ですね。 なお、John Donne の説教の文は、下記のページにあったものを参照しました。

参考URL:
http://www.online-literature.com/donne/409/
4219hidepon
質問者

お礼

自力がない愚者正機ものなので、まさに他力本願で行っておりますが、大変丁寧に調べていただき心から感謝しております。提供いただいたサイトの方もじっくり読み勉強したいと思っております。有難う御座いました。

関連するQ&A

• どなたか名訳お願いします。

どなたか名訳お願いします。 Meditation XVII, 1624: "All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better language; and every chapter must be so translated...As therefore the bell that rings to a sermon, calls not upon the preacher only, but upon the congregation to come: so this bell calls us all: but how much more me, who am brought so near the door by this sickness....No man is an island, entire of itself...any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind; and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;(『誰がために鐘が鳴る』) it tolls for thee."

• 副詞句を比較変化させたい場合は、副詞の比較級と同等扱い?

副詞句中の名詞が形容詞比較級によって修飾された場合、副詞句自体が副詞の-er変化と同等扱いされるということでいいでしょうか? 例:As I know more of mankind I expect less of them, and am ready now to call a man a good man, upon easier terms than I was formerly. この場合、upon easier termが一つの副詞とみなされ、 副詞の-er変化と同等扱いされるということでいいでしょうか? upon the easiest terms...は副詞の-estで。

• 英文を訳してください

英文を訳してください strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose. From the situation of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know; that man is here for the sake of other men- above all for those upon whose smile and well-being our own hapiness depends, and also for the countless unknow souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. お願いします

• アームストロング船長の名言について

アームストロング船長が亡くなって、有名な名言が紹介されていました。 私が高校の時にならった名言は下記のとおりです。 That's one small step for a man, but one giant step for mankind. しかし、現在は下記のような言葉になっていて、昔習ったのと違っていて 違和感を覚えます。 That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind. なぜこのようなことがおきたのでしょうか?生中継の時 電波状態が悪く聞き取れなかったからかな? 大きな飛躍より、大きな一歩のほうがしっくりくると思うのですが。

• 2通りの訳し方

To ask disinterested question about nature is one of the distinguishing marks of mankind. 上記の英文なのですが、この場合、distinguishingはどこまでかかるのでしょうか? (1)mankind の the distinguishing marks なのか、 (2)marks of mankind を見分けること(distinguishing) なのか・・・ そしてこの場合のmarksの意味は何なのか(>_<) 分からなくてずっと悩んでいます(;_;) どなたかアドバイスお願いします。

• ”What I Believe"

Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: that man is here for the sake of other men--above all for those upon whose smile and well-being our own happiness depends, and also for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. Many times a day I realize how much my own outer and inner life is built upon the labors of my fellow men, both living and dead, and how earnestly I must exert myself in order to give in return as much as I have received. My peace of mind is often troubled by the depressing sense that I have borrowed too heavily from the work of other men. [”What I Believe" by A. Einstein] この英文の以下の個所がよくわかりません。 --above all for those upon whose smile and well-being our own happiness depends, and also for the countless unknown souls with whose fate we are connected by a bond of sympathy. 1) above allは「なにより」という意味ですか? 2)for those upon whose smile and well-being our own happiness depends ここの構造はどうなっているのでしょうか? our own happiness がdepends uponするthose smile and well-beingのために、ですか? (私たち自身の幸せが依拠する人々の笑顔と幸福のために?) depend onとdepend uponの違いは何かありますか? (他にもon earthとupon earthなど) *Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to divine a purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, 【however】, there is one thing we do know: この【however】は、前文のsometimes seeming to divine a purposeの個所に対して”しかしながら”と言っているのでしょうか? ときに目的を予知するように思われる、しかしながら私たちが知っている一つのことがある? divineは“予知する”という意味ですか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳お願い致します。

With the view of furthering these various lines of interest, I have undertaken a somewhat laborious enquiry, part of which has already been published in the International Scientific Series, and a further instalment of which is con tained in the present volume. The two works, therefore, " Animal Intelligence [1881] and Mental Evolution in Animals, although published separately, are really one ; and they have been divided only for the following reasons. In the first place, to have produced the whole as one volume would havebeen to present a book, if not of inconvenient bulk, at least quite out of keeping with the size of all the other books in the same series. Moreover, the subject-matter of each work, although intimately related" to* that of the other, is never theless quite distinct ' The first is a compendium of facts relating to Animal Intelligence, which, while necessary as a basis for the present essay, is in itself a separate and distinct treatise, intended to meet the interest already alluded to as attaching to this subject for its own sake ; while the second treatise, although based upon the former, has to deal with a wider range of subject-matter.

• 下記の英文の訳し方がわかりません。

Or he may give what on face of it is a polished lecture, but one which takes for granted that the lecturer can take for granted that the class takes for granted all that he takes for granted. この英文は長文問題集の本文の下線部訳の部分を抜き出しました。最後に全文を掲載しました。(12個の文があり、番号を付けました) 疑問が2つあり、また自作の和訳も書いてみました。長くなりますが、よろしくお願いします。 1)「but one which takes for granted」の「one」が何を指しているのか、わかりません。 2)「take for granted」が4回繰り返される英文の訳し方(意味の取り方)を教えて下さい。 [自作の和訳] 「あるいは、彼はその表面上は洗練された講義をするかもしれない。 しかし、その講師が当然だと思っている全てをそのクラスの学生も当然だと思っていることを、その講師も当然だと思っているとone も当然だと思っている。」 (1)In passing from school to college the student must prepare himself for the fact that he may be going to a place in which he will receive the best education in the world by the world’s worst teacher. (2)His teachers at school had been trained to teach. (3)At the university hardly any of those who teach will have been trained to teach. (4)Their major concern will be about the advancement of knowledge. (5)They may indeed like lecturing, just because they are bursting to express their new ideas. (6)But they may lecture in a way which has no relation to well-prepared lessons which students have been accustomed to receive. (7)The university teacher may turn his back on the class and excitedly write formulas on the blackboard, all the time delivering his statements very fast which are intended to give the class some clue to what he is so excited about. (8)Or he may give what on face of it is a polished lecture, but one which takes for granted that the lecturer can take for granted that the class takes for granted all that he takes for granted. (9)To be taught by such teachers is one of the greatest educational privileges in the world. (10)But in the odd forms of communication that occur in the lecture rooms of universities, the chief responsibility is at the receiving end. (11)That is why, rather paradoxically, university education is the most advanced form of self-education. (12)The student has to find out for himself the best way of listening to lectures.

• 下記の英文を訳してくださる方はいませんか?

Therefore, they are not prepared to enjoy leisure (Birren & Woodruff, 1973). The result is that many who retire are unhappy, and many who could retire choose to continue working. Retirement is seem as a kind of punishment, with consequent loss of self-esteem which sometimes result in suicide. During adulthood and old age, the suicide rate remains fairly level, at around 5 to 15 per 100,000 persons, except in white males, for whom the rate increases throughout adulthood and is greatest in old age (Toll,1975). お願いします。

• 構文分析をして欲しいです。

One of the most painful circumstances of recent advances in science is that each of them makes us know less than we thought we did. When I was young we all knew, or thought we knew,that a man consists of a soul and a body;that the body is in time and space,but the soul is in the time only. Whether the soul survives death was a matter as to which opinions might differ,but that there is a soul was thought to be indubitable As for the body, the plain man considered its existence self-evident, and so did the man of science, but the philosopher was apt to analyze it away after one fashion or another. できるだけ詳しく教えていただけると嬉しいです。 よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m