• ベストアンサー

単語調べたのですが、訳せないので教えて下さい(><)!!

After all, she was the daughter of Boston's mayor, one of the most colorful leaders to hold office in a long time. ★after all…そもそも、なにしろ、お忘れかもしれませんが、やはり、とうとう ★mayor…市長、長

noname#93626
noname#93626
  • 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • mota_miho
  • ベストアンサー率16% (396/2454)
回答No.3

★colorful という語ですが、 〈時代・人・物語などが〉変化[波乱]に富んだ というような意味でしょう(訳語はプログレッシブ英和中辞典より)

その他の回答 (2)

noname#102281
noname#102281
回答No.2

やはり、彼女は長い間会社を支える最も華やかな指導者のひとりであるボストン市長の娘だった。 colorful leaders にちょっと惑わされたのですが、 結局のところこれが一番自然かなと私は思いました。

• ohboy729
  • ベストアンサー率41% (244/589)
回答No.1

「何と言っても彼女は長い間在職しているもっとも華やかな(政界の)指導的立場の人間の一人であるボストン市長の娘だったということさ。」 hold (the) office : 在職する、任期をつとめる 同格表現がありますね。 意味はこんな感じだと思います。

関連するQ&A

• one の使い方

When she heard her daughter was missing, her expression was ____ of grief. という問題で、選択肢がone かthe oneで迷っているのですが、答えは one でした。どうしてthe one はだめなのでしょう? Her expression was the expression of grief. Her expression was an expression of grief.でもいいような気がするのですが。

• 和訳お願いします

Terror of the Deep Kronosaurus lived in the seas that covered Australia, but it probably left the water to lay its eggs on land. Its head was seven feet (2m) long and its teeth were as big as bananas! The prime function of a set of teeth like this, says paleontologist Colin McHenry, was to grab and crush its prey. In fact, Kronosaurus was one of the most powerful predators of all time.

• 英語を教えて下さい><中学のです

She was famous as an actress 彼女は有名な女優だった。                               as ってなんですか?いみわからないです as~asとかで囲むのでは? Her dream of becoming a ballerina had to wait 彼女の夢のバレリーナになることは 待たなければいけなかった Had to wait って?もつ まつことを?  Hepburn's talent started to bloom after the war. ヘップバンのタレントはスタートした 戦争の後に開花した なんか to の使い方が自分は間違ってる気がしました あと 最初の方 she was cast as a princess in roman holiday                asの使い方がわかりません she became one of Hollywood's most popular actresses oneって女優ですか? あと ハリウッドの後に the は つけないといけなくない?

• よろしくお願いします

Once upon a time a daughter complained to her father that her life was miserable and that she didn’t know how she was going to make it. She was tired of fighting and struggling all the time. It seemed just as one problem was solved, another one soon followed. Her father, a chef, took her to the kitchen. He filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Once the three pots began to boil, he placed potatoes in one pot, eggs in the second pot, and ground coffee beans in the third pot. He then let them sit and boil, without saying a word to his daughter. The daughter, moaned and impatiently waited, wondering what he was doing. After twenty minutes he turned off the burners. He took the potatoes out of the pot and placed them in a bowl. He pulled the boiled eggs out and placed them in a bowl. He then ladled the coffee out and placed it in a cup. Turning to her he asked. “Daughter, what do you see?” “Potatoes, eggs, and coffee,” she hastily replied. “Look closer,” he said, “and touch the potatoes.” She did and noted that they were soft. He then asked her to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard-boiled egg. Finally, he asked her to sip the coffee. Its rich aroma brought a smile to her face. high fireとladled the coffee outとpulling off the shellの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• cherry on top

My daughter has been friends with “Eve” since kindergarten, they are now in third grade. She adores her friend and wants to see her all the time. They play great together and have play dates once or twice a week—always at my house. Eve’s mom never invites my child over, and my daughter has been in their house all of five times. It didn’t bother me at first but now it feels like a thorn in my side. Eve recently got a pet that my daughter wants to see. My daughter asked to see said pet and was “allowed” to go over one day after school for an hour. Eve’s mom has Eve’s cousins over all the time (same age) for play dates and never invites my daughter to join in. This is starting to piss me off. The cherry on top is that Eve’s mom regularly uses me as free “child care” if there are any issues in her personal life. The cherry on topは辞書には「色をそえるもの」とあったのですが、ここでは当てはまらないと思います。どのような訳になるでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• (   )に入る単語を教えてください。

教えて頂けると幸いです。よろしくお願いします。 1 I don't have the ( ) idea of the result. ( biggest / smallest / fainest / most ) 2 E-mail is a convenient way ( ) we communicate with foreign people. ( which / of which / by which / from which ) 3 I ( ) the dentist that day, but I had to call and cancel. ( saw / had seen / was seeing / did see ) 4 To ( ) matters worse, it began to rain. ( do / make / become / get ) 5 Oil has ( ) an important part in man's progress. ( put / made / played / kept ) 6 It is likely that he kept me waiting (  ). ( in nature / in time / at heart / on purpose ) 7 Ten thousand yen will (      ) all your expenses for the trip. ( cost / spend / give / cover ) どうぞよろしくお願いします。

• 文法解釈・構造

She spends most of her time keeping the house clean. この文の、 s=She v=spends o= most of her time だと思いますが、 keeping the house clean. はどのように解釈すればよいのでしょう。

• shoveling snow was the one chore.........

NHKラジオ英会話講座より Shoveling snow was the one chore I hated most of all. 雪かきが何より一番嫌いな雑用だったからね。 (質問)the one choreで「一番の雑用」と訳していいですか?直訳すると「雪かきは私が何より嫌いだった一番の雑用だった。」でいいでしょうか?「・・・雑用の1つだった。」ではありませんね?  以上

• 構文分析をして欲しいです。

One of the most painful circumstances of recent advances in science is that each of them makes us know less than we thought we did. When I was young we all knew, or thought we knew,that a man consists of a soul and a body;that the body is in time and space,but the soul is in the time only. Whether the soul survives death was a matter as to which opinions might differ,but that there is a soul was thought to be indubitable As for the body, the plain man considered its existence self-evident, and so did the man of science, but the philosopher was apt to analyze it away after one fashion or another. できるだけ詳しく教えていただけると嬉しいです。 よろしくお願い致しますm(_ _)m

• most surprising of all

Most surprising of all, Chris was chosen to be the torchbearer for the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympic Games. 教科書にこの文がありましたが、このMost surprising of all,の構造(品詞)は何だと考えればよいのでしょうか。 most of all, は副詞句ですが、surprisingという形容詞が入った場合、most of allからの類似表現でよいのか、 it is ~ that か何かの省略と考えるのか、分詞構文で省略が行われているのか、なぜsurprisingly ではないのか、、、、教えてください!  ちなみに、Most surprising of all, の入った表現は60万件ほどヒットしているので通用しているとは思います。でもその解釈が不明なのでモヤモヤしています。よろしくお願いします。