• ベストアンサー

うまく訳せません、アドバイスをお願いします!

小説「ピグマリオン」(マイフェアレディーの原作)を課題で訳しているのですが、次の2文があまりうまく訳せません。 みなさんに和訳をお願いしてしまうとズルになってしまうので、どう訳せばいいかのアドバイスをどうかお願いしますm(__)m 両方とも音声学者ヒギンズがしゃべっているシーンなのですが。 I waste the treasures of my Miltonic mind by spreading them before you. (Miltonic mind?ミルトンの思想??ですか?イマイチわかりません…) Once for all, understand that I go my way and do my work without caring twopence what happens to either of us. (ここの2ペンスというのは、主人公がヒギンズに正しい英語を教わるのに最初に支払った額なのですが)

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数5

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • dripdrop
  • ベストアンサー率78% (149/191)
回答No.2

1.I waste the treasures of my Miltonic mind by spreading them before you. my Miltonic mind は、「(大詩人の)ミルトンにたとえられるような私の (偉大な)精神」という意味です。 tresures は、「宝物」ですが、ここではもちろん比喩的な意味で、「精神の宝」のことです。 全体の意味は(訳しませんが)そういう宝物を、その価値のわからないお前(ライザ)に見せても豚に真珠だ、という傲慢なせりふです。 もう少し深読みすれば、ミルトンの『失楽園』は世界創造の物語ですから、自分の精神を Miltonic mind と呼ぶことで、ヒギンズはライザに対する自分の立場を創造主、神の立場になぞらえていると考えることもできます。 2.Once for all, understand that I go my way and do my work without caring twopence what happens to either of us. twopence はこの場合、支払った具体的なお金のことではなく、「ほんのわずか」という意味で副詞的に使われています。 without caring twopence は「ほんの少しも気にすることなしに」という熟語的表現です。 Once for all, understand.... は、「これが最後でもう二度と言わないから、次のことを理解してくれ、...」という感じです。

star-fruits
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます!! 1はそういうことですか!質問の部分にも書いてある通り、ミルトン派の思考とかってよくわからない風に勘違いしてました! 2でのtwopenceも、支払ったお金のことが頭にあって、そこまで考え付きませんでした!!

その他の回答 (1)

• snowbees
  • ベストアンサー率22% (173/760)
回答No.1

下記の書評では、ピグマリオンは、ジョン・ミルトンの失楽園の改作だと。したがって、ヒギンス氏は、ミルトン的な態度をとると。(私も詳しくないが)

参考URL:
http://www.abacci.com/books/book.asp?bookID=1901
star-fruits
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます! ピグマリオン=失楽園の改作、というのは知りませんでした。だからここで 'Miltonic mind' なんて出てくるのですね。

関連するQ&A

• 何が入るのでしょうか...

何が入るのでしょうか... I didn't talk to my brother last night and my mother( ). 1 did neither 2 didn't, either 3 didn't, neither 4 neither did when I first studied abroad, I made many linguistic err and ( ). 1 my fellow foreign students did either 2 so did my fellow foreign students 3 either of my fellow foreign students 4 my fellow foreign students did so

• 英語で

先日京都に行ったときにすごいかっこいい外国人がいました。 写真を撮りたかったんですけど英語が得意ではないのでなんと言ったらいいかわかりませんでした。 「写真をとりたいんですけど いいですか?」 と英語ではなんていえばいいのでしょうか? Can I take your picture? Can I take a picture of you? Do you mind my taking your picture? Would you mind my taking your picture? Would you mind taking your picture? Would you mind taking a picture of you? わかりません・・・ どういう言い方をすればいいのでしょうか? 自然な言い方を教えてください。 英語の得意なかた教えてください。

• 英語にして下さい!!

以下の文章を日本語にして下さい!! お願いいたします。 we will see, if that happens, but not now I would like have some possibility I have my mind in 1000 things, hehe I mean its very difficult, too much

• 仮定法について

I am sending two kids off to college, and my husband and I are able to pay for most of their tuition. I am allowing my children to go anywhere they want and study anything they wish. I do, however, expect that they maintain a GPA of 3.33 (B-plus) at the end of each academic year. I do not think this is unreasonable. If either of my children were to fall behind I would not withdraw funding completely but would contribute only as much as in-state tuition in our state costs. If either of my children were to fall behindのところはIf either of my children fell behindというのとはどう違うのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• byの使い方を教えてください

以下の英文のby which以下の構造とbyの役割を教えてください。 Suffice it, that when I left home it was with the intention of going to some new colony, and either finding, or even purchasing, waste land suitable for cattle or sheep farming, by which I means I thought that I could better my fortunes more rapidly than in England.

• 関係詞の使い方・・・?

I hear he is going to marry a girl. The girl happens to be a friend of my wife's. という2文があり、これを関係代名詞を用いて1文にせよ、という問題です。 答えは The girl whom I hear he is going to marry happens to be a friend of my wife's. となっていました。 これを、 I hear he is going to marry a girl who happens to be a friend of my wife's. としてはいけないのでしょうか? 前者ならば意味は「私が、彼が結婚すると聞いた女の子は、たまたま私の妻の友人である。」 後者ならば、「私は、彼が、たまたま私の妻の友人である女の子と結婚すると聞いた」 となるのではないでしょうか。日本語で考えると、どちらも言ういい方ではありますよね。 英語では、前者のような言い方しかしないのでしょうか。何か、文法的根拠があるから、解答は前者になっているんだと思うんです。どなたか、詳しく、教えてください。お願いします!

• 和訳をお願いします

和訳をお願いします(>_<) When we got our first cat, rather than doing everything herself, my motor insisted that my sister and I heplp care for out cat by feeding and brushing her. This was a valuable lesson for both of us. Caring for a pet can also help children develop caring social responsibility, and that has been useful to me in other areas of my life.

• 英検の問題

I have ( ) a few lines of a famous poem in my mind. 1.inscribed 2.memorized 3.scratched 4.engraved 括弧に当てはまるのは何番ですか?

• 和訳お願いいたします。

I had to think of you ... in my mind we were already enjoying our holiday :) I won't keep you awake anymore. 以上です。ありがとうございます。

• 日本語訳お願いします!

It's sunday for me just now! I just woke up, I have a few friends who ride scooters, But I don't want one I think it'll be a waste of money >.< I'd rather wait till i finish university and get a car and a stable job! ;D I don't really mind my school to be honest! It's better than my old school that's for sure! I have tons of home work to do aswell, I have homework due in tomorrow and I jut remembered now so I'm working really hard! How's your weekend been?