• ベストアンサー

友人達からもらったE-mailの中で質問があります。1つでもいいので教えてください。 (1) Yesterday I was called into work for this magazine that is due on Tuesday, so I had to stay. 大体内容はつかめますが、call into workの意味がとりにくいです。仕事で呼ばれたというような内容だと思いますが、intoは職場に行ったことを表しているのでしょうか。それとも仕事にとりかかるように電話があったという意味でしょうか。 (2) Today I have this meeting with Japanese college students that want to become teachers. They practice their lessons on us and stuff. ☆1文目のthis meetingのthisはなんでしょうか。新しい情報を述べるときにもthisをこういった形で使うことはよくあるのでしょうか。 ☆2文目のand stuffがわかりません。「~とか」というand thingsのcasualなものかなと推測しますが、だとしたら、「私達とかに授業をする」と訳すと何だか違和感があるのですが・・・

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#2733
noname#2733
回答No.2

(1) Yesterday I was called into work for this magazine that is due on Tuesday, so I had to stay. called into workなら、出社するよう、指示があったとの意味。 但し、called in to work on○○なら、呼ばれ(指示され)て○○の仕事に参加し手伝う、との意味になります。 例文の場合、intoになっていますが、最後にあるso I had to stay = 残らざるを得なかった、の部分が気になります。休みなのに呼び出されて出社した場合なら「残る」とは言わないかと。called in to work for this magazineなら、昨日、火曜日が締切の雑誌を手伝う為に呼ばれてしまったので、残業せざるを得なかった。でもここはon this magazineではなく、for this magazineとなっているので、ちょっと疑問が残ります。 違う解釈としては、work for this magazineは、雑誌を発行している出版社で働く、と捉える事もできますが、そうならthat is due on Tuesdayとつながりません。 よって、前後の文脈が分からないのですが、intoが正しいとすれば、so I had to stayはstay lateの意味と解釈し、遅くまでいなければならなかった、と理解するべきかと。 従い、まとめると、 「昨日、火曜日が締切の雑誌の仕事を手伝うために出社するよう、指示され、遅くまで会社に残っていた」と言う感じではないでしょうか。 (2) Today I have this meeting with Japanese college students that want to become teachers. They practice their lessons on us and stuff. 普通なら、Today I have a meetingとなりますが、Today I have this meetingと言うと、その後にそのmeetingに対する説明がくる事を示唆する言い方であります。 例えば、頭痛で医者に診断してもらう時、 I have this headache that keeps me awake at night. 頭痛があり、それが原因で夜眠れません。 以外と口語で良く使われます。 and stuffとは、これも口語で良く使われます。and other thingsの意味です。訳ですが、彼らは我々に対し、授業の練習等をします。ここの「等」がstuffです。 「今日、教師になりたい日本の大学生との会議があるんだ。そこで彼らは我々に授業の練習とかをするんだ。」 stuffの使い方ですが、 My desk is always untidy with a lot of books and stuff. 私の机はいつも本とかで散らかっているんだ。

sinc29
質問者

お礼

詳しい解説をありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

アメリカに35年ほど住んでいる者です。 1) called into workは仕事によびだされた、と言う意味です。 つまり、昨日は本当は休みだったんでしょう。 でも、so I had to stay.と書いてあるので、借り出されて残業になっちゃった。と言う事でしょう。 2)this meetingはThey practice their lessons on usのことですね。 でも、私にはこのstuffが分かりません。the stuffとなれば、レッスンに関する事、でしょうが。 on usとは私たちを使って、と言う意味ですね。 これでいいでしょうか。 分からない点がありましたら、補足質問してください。

sinc29
質問者

お礼

回答いただきありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• この英語の問題がわかりません!

この英語の問題がわかりません! This (1) my father. And this (2) my mother. These (3) my sisters. We (4) ahappy family. I (5) in the Music Club. We (6) after school on Monday,Tuesday,Thursday,and Friday. Mr.Takahashi (7) us on Tuesday. We (8) on Weday,Saturday, and Sunday. I (9) avert good singer, but I like the ckub very much.

• よろしくお願いします

Now I’m in college in a very rigorous major, and I despise it. The work is fine, and even when I’m challenged I don’t feel overwhelmed, but being forced into this major has made me overwhelmingly apathetic to anything requiring more than basic algebra. The workとは何のことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• actually とは?

I am actually writing this email at work.という文が解かりません。そして この文の後にI work on the weekends and go to school during the week. My job is very simple though and doesn't require much attention, so I can write emails.です。学生が書いた文に何故work があるのですか?教えて下さい>0<

• 英作文

この間英会話で、「その大学はたくさん良い先生がいることで有名です」という文を英語に変えたとき、the college is famous for that there are a lot of good teachers. という文をとっさに作ったのですが、後々考えてみるとfor のあとにthat 節ではつなげないので文法ミスということに気づきました。  そこでthe college is famous for the fact that there are a lot of good teachers という文を考えたのですが、この文章は変でしょうか?  自分の解釈だと、前置詞にthat 節は繋げないので(例外を除く)、代わりにthe fact that を使ってSVのある文章をつなぐようにしてるんですが、the fact にすると少し変な文章になってしませんかと心配しております。 ご教授ください。

• 和訳お願いします

英語で書かれた専門書を読んでいるのですが、どうしても分からない英文があり質問させて頂きました。 1文が長く、文量も多いですが、和訳お願いします。 The role of academic ability is somewhat different in that it has strong direct eggects on high school performance, independent of socioeconomic status, and direct and indirect effects on significant other's influence and on education and occupational aspirations and, through these, on educational and occupational attainments. Recently, we have further elaborated our model by disaggregating socioeconomic status into its component parts --- parents' income, mother's education, futher's education, and father's occupation --- and by decomposition of significant others' influence into parental encoragement, teachers' encoragement, and peers' plans. Most of the analysis reported in the chapters that follow involves the extension, elaboration, and interpretation of this model as it is applied to socioeconomic attainments --- particularly occupation and earnings.

• 和訳でわからないことがあります。

who's your biggest threat do you think from getting ripped off and bet up and stuff like that. という会話文があるのですが、 who's your biggest threat は、なんでwhoなんんですか。  誰が脅威になるという質問なら、 正しくは、 who do you think is your biggest threat from getting ripped off and bet up and stuff like that. となると思うのですが、わかる方がおりましたら説明お願いいたします。 また、beat up、stuff like that は、文法的におかしくないですか、 どれも、who beat up, who stuff like となるのでしょうか。 訳文と文法的に説明をよろしくお願いいたします。 また、 i have slept on this bench over here on the other side. の訳がおかしな感じになるのですが、 訳文を教えてください。

• 和訳と構文についての疑問です。

和訳と構文がわからない一まとまりの文が2つあります。 わかる方がいらっしゃいましたら教えて下さい。 (・・・急いでます!) (1) It has provided us, in a broad highway of knowledge-sharing, on every topic. (2) Contrast this with the American practice of putting teacher's college graduates into the classroom after a few months of training and then leaving them alone to succeed or not, to the good or ill fortune of a generation of sutudents.

• 英作文の添削をお願いします

前回に引き続き、英作文の添削をお願い致します 文法や段落構成の仕方など、なんでもご指摘いただけると嬉しいです 構成を3段落以上にすること 150字以上 序論・本論・結論が明確であること テーマ:医学部6年間の学生生活における期待と不安について書きなさい It is expected that medical students are required for acquiring all kinds of knowledge about human and establishing the faithful relationships with other students, teachers, and patients during the school day at medical college. Considering about this, I am looking forward to acquiring various kinds of knowledge about human. If I got to know first-aid, I would be able to help people around me at emergency. I think this is the first step for becoming a doctor. In addition, making best friends is my dream. Years ago, a doctor did all cures for a patient by himself or herself. However, these days team work is needed and it is not over mentioned whether a patient can recover from illness is up to doctor’s team work. On the other hand, I worry about that I can keep up with the speeds of lessons at college. High leveled subjects need not only memorizing, but also understanding. I also think just memorizing for exams dose not make sense at practice. Needless to say, I should study hard at college, when I cannot understand something, it is important to ask other students or teachers. It is not just because I get to understand the subject, but this lead to make good relationships with them. (210words)

• 訳をお願いします。

One time I had this thought that when we have the money and he gets going with his music or whatever that I would search the world for top teachers, psychologists, and doctors,and I would be behind the scenes. 意味が取れません。訳をお願いします。宜しくお願いします。

• この文脈の中の”it takes”の意味を教えてください。

以下の文、 The Obama administration says American schools should produce students who are "college and career ready." What is the best way to do that? One group that has some ideas is the National Center on Education and the Economy. Marc Tucker is president of this nonprofit organization. MARC TUCKER: "The president has called for focusing in on what it really takes to be successful in work and in college, and he has called on America's educational institutions, primary and secondary educational institutions, to do whatever it takes to get our kids college ready. That is precisely what we are doing." で、後半のMARC TUCKERの言葉の中で "it really takes" "it takes" とあるのですが、itは何を指すのかと、takaはここではどういう意味なのかわかりません。itが仮主語だとすると、takeはどう訳すのですか。 よろしくお願いします。