• 締切済み

何のボランティア?

兵役のある国のペンパルに男性と同様に女性にも兵役義務があるのか という質問をしたところ下記のような回答が返ってきました。 自分なりに和訳してみたのですがおかしなところがあればご指摘 頂けないでしょうか? Women can go if they ask. You'd think someone had to be crazy to ask to go to do military service... But some do. Hopefully I was able to evade it. But I had to lie to the doctors -.- My personal doctor didn't like it either, so I was helped. 女性は希望すれば兵役につけます。兵役を自ら希望するなんて 気が狂った人だと思うでしょう?でも何人かそういう人はいるんです。 できることなら僕は兵役を避けたかった。 そうするためにはパーソナルドクターに嘘をつかなければいけないし パーソナルドクターがそういうこと(このitは兵役のことなのか それとも健康に問題があると嘘をついて兵役を逃れることを指して いるのか?)を嫌いだから僕は助かったんだけど。 とくに後半は自分でもめちゃくちゃな訳だと思うのですが・・・(T_T) 兵役を避けたかったけどそれができず彼は兵役についたのか? それとも兵役の良心的回避をパーソナルドクターのおかげで できたので兵役につかなくてよかったのか??がわかりません。 But I have to do "Civil Protection" instead. They call us from time to time to help doing things, like at a manifestation, or when there is a natural catastrophe. The Euro 2008 Football will be in my country this summer for example, and I received a letter this morning saying they would call me for that event... I'm already preparing a letter in order to avoid that 潤チ I'll be in the middle of my exams... How is it now in Japan? Is it only for volunteer? 最期の文章、は日本の何について聞いているのでしょうか? 自然災害等何か有事の際に出動するのはcivil protectionの ようなボランティアなのか?ということでしょうか? 長文で申し訳ありません。時制が難しくなかなか上手に訳せ ません。どうぞよろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

みんなの回答

• ucok
  • ベストアンサー率37% (4288/11421)
回答No.3

ネイティヴ・イングリッシュ・スピーカーではないようなので、なんとも言えませんが、ネイティヴじゃないにしても、文脈からすると、「Is it only for volunteer?」は「志願した人だけが何かするの?」というニュアンスで言っているのだと思います。つまり「徴兵にせよ、civil protectionにせよ、我が国では強制だが、そっちはどうか。志願者だけ何かするのか」ということですね。「it」の概念は、たいてい漠然としていて、ここでは「何か」という程度に解釈していればいいと思います。まあ、日本には「志願」どころか、軍すらないのですが。 結局、この人は、過酷な訓練を伴う兵役を逃れた代わりに、“登録制の自衛隊”みたいな(?)職務につか“されて”いるようですね。つまり、頼まれたときにだけ駆けつける義務のある「市民防衛隊」なのではないかと。英文検索エンジンで「Civil Protection+(国名を英文字で)」を検索すると、詳しい解説がヒットするかもしれません。でも、ご本人に質問すれば会話が弾みますね。 ちなみに、「同じ兵役のある国でもいろんな違いがあるのだなと思いました」と書いておられますが、私は「国」による違いではないと思うんです。どこの国でも、戦う意志のない者が弱腰呼ばわりされる風潮はあります。日本でだって、“同盟国”が戦争をしていれば駆けつけるのが本当だと信じている人が少なくありません。でも、どこの国にも、メールにある掛かりつけの医師のように、自分が信じることのために、奥の手を使ってくれる人がいるのだと思います。

ss006981
質問者

お礼

大変わかりやすいアドバイスをありがとうございます。 日本には兵役もなく何かあれば自衛隊がえってくれるだろうという 危機感のなさすぎる思いでいたのでお恥ずかしいです。 ucokさんのおっしゃるようにペンパルに直接質問してもっと話を したいと思います。 本当にありがとうございました!

回答No.2

>But some do. Hopefully I was able to evade it. >But I had to lie to the doctors -.- My personal doctor didn't like it either, so I was helped. 恐らく,「私は兵役(it)に行きたくなかったし,主治医もit(=兵役)が好きでなかったので,私は助かった」というニュアンスだと思います. 間に入る「But I had to lie...doctors」の解釈が微妙で,完全な憶測ですが,「兵役を逃れるために嘘をつかなければならなくて,医者も兵役が好きでなかったので,大目にみてくれて(或いは嘘だと感づいていても),兵役にいかなくていいように取り計らってくれた」と,私は読みました. >How is it now in Japan? Is it only for volunteer? 恐らく,Civil Protectionは兵役の代わりの強制的な奉仕活動ということでしょう."have to do ... instead"と言っていますし. 私の国では,EURO2008のようなイベントがあると,この奉仕活動の召集状が届いて義務につかなければならないんだけど,あなたの国ではそういったイベント(あるいは災害有事)の際は,任意のボランティアに頼むの?それとも強制力がある奉仕活動部隊が召集されるの? という意味だと思います.

ss006981
質問者

お礼

早速の回答ありがとうございます。 なるほど、civil protectionは兵役につかない代わりに社会奉仕を しなさいという強制的なもので、ボランティアというのとはちょっと ニュアンスが違うんですね。 文脈の中からitが何を指しているのかを探すのが難しくて困って いましたが本当に助かりました。 ありがとうございました!

• Nao_F
  • ベストアンサー率24% (22/90)
回答No.1

まず最初の部分。Hopefully 以下が確かに変ですね・・・ これは実際に起こったできごとを述べています。つまり、 "幸いなことに僕は兵役を免除された。 でも医者にウソをつかなければいけなかった。 かかりつけの医者も兵役は嫌いだから、協力してくれたけどね" 最初の the doctors は多分軍医(兵役につく人の健康に問題がないかどうかを判定する係)で、「実は健康に問題があるので兵役にはつけません」とウソの申告をするために、personal doctor にウソの診断書でも作ってもらったのでしょう。 最後の質問ですが、 「日本では(兵役があるのか、それとも)兵士はすべて自主志願なのか」 という意味ではないかなと思います。 自分の国の兵役(と代替役務)についてはこの通りだが、日本ではどうか? と尋ねているのではないでしょうか。

ss006981
質問者

お礼

早速の回答本当にありがとうございます! とっっってもわかり易い回答で助かりました。 お医者さんの中でも兵役の良心的回避に協力的な人も いるんですね。ある国では兵役逃れをした人は社会的に 落ちこぼれの烙印を押され、厳しく非難されると聞いた ことがあるので同じ兵役のある国でもいろんな違いが あるのだなと思いました。 本当にご協力ありがとうございました!

関連するQ&A

• where to stick it

I’m (over)due with my second child, and I am not looking forward to the “help” that will come when she is born. When my son was born, my in-laws came for a week. They helped by holding my son, soothing my son, playing with him—all the things I wanted to do. To be fair, they also cooked and cleaned a bit, but I had no idea how to tell them to let us bond. My in-laws are coming again this time around, from what I understand. My husband insists they are helpful, but all I feel is that they are intrusive and disrespectful of my boundaries. My own family is popping in too, for just a few days, but I have no qualms about telling them where to stick it if they overstep! telling them where to stick it if they overstepの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I'm a teenager living with parents who I would hesitate to describe as abusive, but they are difficult, often angry, and they can be really mean. I swear I try not to be a brat. I am going to the college they told me to. I am majoring in the major they told me to. I am going into the career they told me to. A lot of my life is spent trying not to upset them and trying not to show that I am upset. They don't like my expressing negative emotions. I have one thing I want that requires their assistance. It is a hobby. They don't like to say no, but they like to indicate in other ways that this is a burden and I am burdensome for wanting it. At this point, it's the only thing I am doing that isn't specifically a thing they told me to do. I try just to ask them, but they say yes and then sigh and mutter and eye-roll me into retracting my request because I feel guilty. I disagree with this whole martyr routine designed to trick me into feeling bad because if they don't want to do it, all they have to do is say no. ここでのbratは「わがままなガキ」といったところでしょうか? eye-roll me into retracting my request の意味を教えてください。 martyr routineの意味を教えてください。 以上、よろしくお願いします

• in small doses

My in-laws currently live six hours away. I like it that way. They keep talking about moving to our town, but this would be at the cost of our relationship. They're lovely people in small doses, but we lived near them for a year when I had my first child, and Amy -- it was awful. They're lovely people in small dosesはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英語から日本語へ翻訳お願いします。お金の送金のことだと思います。ちょっ

英語から日本語へ翻訳お願いします。お金の送金のことだと思います。ちょっとだけ長い英文ですが宜しくお願いします。 I just wanted to update you on my payment I had no Idea it took so long for paypal to transfer the money from my bank acct they said 3 to 5 days I was hoping it was going to be 3 days but not my luck they said id should be there on June 1. As soon money is in my paypal acct I will send you the funds once again I am sorry about the delay I do really want this lv This is a holiday weekend here so that is part of the problem if you have any other questions email me

• 英訳教えてください!

タトゥー好きの海外の方から、以下のメールを頂きました。 ちょっと訳を教えて頂けないでしょうか? I would really love to get my tattoo in Japan cause they do the hand tattoos not with the machine it hurts more but it has more meaning, I have one on my lower back that looks like eyes but there not its really cool. 大変申し訳ございませんが、よろしくお願いします!

• 翻訳願います。

It is not that I do not want to marry you, it would be a lovely dream to do so, I think. I do not think that we have this path ahead of us... but I want to have you in my life always, somehow. Duty as a man? To stand and hold the load, to carry it forward. To move and put the wants of man away. 宜しくお願いします。

• 私にとって難しいのですが、続けなければと思っています。今日も添削をお願いします。

Hi, Everyone, as I said yesterday I played golf. Next time I come here, I will write about it. Today, I will write about my feeling. 今日も、よろしくお願いいたします。 Hi, My Crystal! As you know, I want to learn and I want to speak English when I get a chance to go to US someday. Everyday I say it to me in my heart. What do you think about my dream? These days I am feeling it is so hard to me. Of course, when I see you I do to do my best. And I am thinking I want to see you everyday. When I am with you, I speak only English. I can’t speak well, but I feel comfortable to talk with you. Crystal, what do you think about my English? Did you get my feeling in English? I hope you get my feeling. Well, I have to clean up my room. I want to be with you more and more. But I say to you “Ciao for now, My Little Sweet crystal!”

• keep me on the hook

My in-laws last year asked if I could babysit their 11-year-old this April so they could go away for a weekend, which they never get to do. I agreed and told them I would just need a few weeks’ notice to organize my own child care around it. Well, it’s April, and they still haven’t picked a date. I haven’t been able to make any plans of my own for weeks, and as we get closer to summer, the heat affects my health condition and puts me at a higher risk for seizures. My in-laws definitely need the time on their own and don’t have other child care options (my niece-in-law is poorly behaved), so I would feel like a bit of a jerk withdrawing my offer. But I feel like they’re not being very reasonable. Is it fair for them to keep me on the hook, or should I tell them I’ll no longer be available? keep me on the hookはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• please tell me your opinion

I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any. これはガンジーが残した言葉です。直訳の意味は分かるのですが、そうするといまいち分かりません。これは何を意味してるのでしょうか? 簡単に言うとどういう意味なんでしょうか? ガンジーはこの言葉にどういう意味をこめてると思いますか? 教えてください

• 文法的な解釈を教えて下さい。

次の2つの疑問文の用法が良く理解できないでおります。 1.Why is it some people want to finght the moment they get drunk? 2.Why is it I don't want you to answer my questions in future by using these shor forms? この英文の両方に使われている「is it」は文法的にどのような働きをしているのでしょうか? 「Why do some people」「Why don't I」とは言えないのでしょうか? どうぞ宜しくお願い致します。