• ベストアンサー

number か numbers か

Though relatively small in numbers/number, the Amish people have established a strong identity in North America. numbers と number, 単複どちらを使うべきですか?どちらでもいいのでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数5
  • ありがとう数0

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Parismadam
  • ベストアンサー率65% (2756/4211)
回答No.5

こんにちは。 既に回答は出ていますが、別の角度から説明します。 1.答えはnumberが正解になります。 2.small in numberで、「数が少ない」という意味になります。数が多い・少ないはsmall、largeを使います。 3.このinは数・量について制限する用法として用いられる前置詞です。 例: small in size「サイズが小さい」 seven in number「数は7」 5m in length「長さは5m」 4.この時、「数」「サイズ」「長さ」を表す単語は、基準となる単位を示す普通名詞ですので、単数扱いになります。 以上ご参考までに。 PS:先ほど回答しました、この後にあるご質問「最後に死なせたかった」の補足として、以下の例文を添えておきます。 last~toの強調用法: He is the last man to do that. 「彼はそれをする最後の男だ」 =「彼は絶対にそんなことはしない」

その他の回答 (4)

• taked4700
  • ベストアンサー率37% (777/2050)
回答No.4

>Though relatively small in numbers/number, the Amish people have established a strong identity in North America. この文脈なら、in number です。 in numbers は、numbers と複数形なので、具体的なイメージが出てきて「多数で」となるのが普通です。

• ANASTASIAK
  • ベストアンサー率19% (658/3306)
回答No.3

>どちらでもいいのでしょうか? どちらでもよいです。

回答No.2

(訂正) immgrants

回答No.1

in number は人など。ここでは identitity なので in number です。 「数の上で」という意味。 e.g. The immigrant, while small in number, cause no probrem. small in numbers を使うなら もの、製品、金額などです。 e.g. The budget is small in numbers. in numbers には「大勢」でという意味もあります。

関連するQ&A

• お願いします!!続きです。

About 900 million people speak a variety of Chinese. Other languages have very few speakers. Eyak, a language in North America, has only one speaker. ↑訳お願いします。

• FIBONACCI NUMBER

今アメリカの学校の数学の宿題をしてるんですが直接英語で問題出させてもらいます。(日本語に訳そうと思ったんですがいってる意味が不確かなので訳せませんでした。ごめんなさい) there are so many relationships involving the fibonacci numbers that a journal and numerous books have been devoted to them. here are two that you are to investigate: 1 let S(n) be the sum ofthe first n Fibonacci numbers. Find a formula for the sequence formed by the partial sums S(n) 2 let Q(n) be the sum of the squares of the first n fibonacci numbers. find a formula for Q(n) in terms of the nth fibonacci number, F(n) 一応自分でfibonacci numberはgeometricなので合計の式はSn=An(1-r^n)/1-rを使うと推測させてもらいましたがそれからどうするのかがさっぱり分かりません。

• a number of とa variety of

A numbers of workers have recently left the conpany. A variety of countries has participated in Expo 2010 Shanghai China. a number of とa variety ofは両方とも複数で受け、the number of とthe variety ofは単数で受けるのですよね?? この様な用法についてサイトで見て勉強していたら、上の2つの文を発見したのですが、 下の文章はhasになっています。これは単なるミスなのでしょうか??

• この場合の動詞は単数か、複数か?

1 in 7 people in North America ( ) at least one tattoo. という文では、動詞はhasですか、それともhaveですか。全体的に考えればtattooをしているのはたった一人ではないことはもちろんわかります。しかし、each / everyのように、この場合は動詞が(主語のoneを受けて)hasになりますか?どうぞ教えてください。

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

Does anyone in the LA/SFV/Pasadena area have an electrician they can recommend ? I have a relatively small job that is out of my DIY skill set.

• 英語の間違いについて

この英文に間違っているところや、アドバイスなどがあれば教えてください。 Many people live in big city. I live there, too. (私もそこに住んでいる) A big city have many stores, schools, subway and more. But we can favor anyone in a small town. (しかし小さい町に住んでいれば親しくなることができる) This is because a small town don't have many people. However, I want to live in a big town. I would like to discuss the reasons why I think so by talking about friends and dreams. よろしくお願いします。

• 【至急】 和訳お願いします!

分からない和訳問題を載せました。 ご協力お願いします! (1) The tremendous population growth Europe experienced in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries increased the peasants' problems. (2) The Jewish immigrants who settled in North America during the colonial period also were seeking religious and political freedom. (3) So the resistance to falling in the case of the small animal is relatively ten times greather than the driving force. (4) An insect going for a drink is in as great danger as a man leaning out over a precipice in search of food. 以上4問です。 よろしくお願いします!

• in whichの文法的役割

こんにちは。 Geysers -geological phenomena in which heated subterranean water shoots up into the air at relatively regular intervals- can be found in New Zealand,Iceland and North America. 「間欠泉-熱せられた地下水が比較的一定間隔で空中に噴き出す現象-はニュージーランド、アイスランド、北アメリカで見られる」 で "in which" は文法的に何のためにあるのでしょうか? "熱せられた地下水が比較的一定間隔で空中に噴き出す" と "間欠泉" は同格関係だと思われますので "in which"は接続詞なのでしょうか? 同格を表す接続詞だとすると "that" を用いて Geysers -geological phenomena that heated subterranean water shoots up into the air at relatively regular intervals- can be found in New Zealand,Iceland and North America. と書いてもいいのでしょうか?

• 英文

『(今までご縁があって)出会うことができたいい人達とは 連絡をとり続けた方がいいと真剣にそう思ったから。』 I though seriously I should keep in touch with good people that I could meet. I though seriously that I should have keep in touch with good people I could meet. アドバイスお願いします。

• 英文質問 その2

When designing Congress, what kind of representation did the small states want? What kind did the big states want? という質問に対して該当する文章を探しています。 As the country developed a stronger sense of national identity after the Civil War, and as claims of corruption in the selection of Senators grew, the demand for direct election of Senators grew. This was finally achieved with the 17th amendment in 1913. A minority of people still argue that this amendment was a mistake, and that an important check on the federal government was lost when the state legislatures’ representation in Congress was eliminated. But even though the state legislatures are no longer directly represented in the Senate, each state still has equal representation, and are so are still represented as distinct political bodies: Wyoming’s less than 600,000 people and California’s 40 million people have the same voice. Some people argue that this is undemocratic, and see the Senate as illegitimate, while others see it as important to ensure the small states are not dominated by a handful of big states. こちらの文章の1段落目を参考にしたのですが、 質問に対して、small stateは州議会の議論を求めている。ということでいいでしょうか? そして2段落目では、big stateはsmall stateが数の少ないbig stateを支配しないことを求めている。 ということでいいでしょうか?