• ベストアンサー

時を表す[by]について教えて下さい?

時を表す[by]について教えて下さい。 (1)Tim is older than Olivia by almost five years. (2)Sylvia works by day and studies by/at night. (3)Teria is going to finish playing tennis by 6:00. 上記の[by]は3つとも表現が微妙に違います。 (1)は「およそ~」「~ぐらい」、(2)は「(昼、夜)~には」、(3)は「~まで」、と解釈しました。間違いはありませんか?このほかに時に関する[by]の表現はありますか?特に(2)の表現が「by]の持つイメージと結びつきません。初心者にわかりやすい説明を、どなたかよろしくお願いいたします。  以上

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

(1)Tim is older than Olivia by almost five years. by 程度 差異  ~だけ、~の差で (2)Sylvia works by day and studies by/at night. by 期間 ~の間   (3)Teria is going to finish playing tennis by 6:00. by 期限 ~までに by の後に来る名詞によって意味が微妙に変わります。後は文全体から考えるしかないと思います。これ以外の基本的な意味もありますから

tommy0313
質問者

お礼

いつもご回答感謝申し上げます。よく理解できました。少しづつ学んでゆきます。今後も質問を続けますので、ご助力よろしくお願い申し上げます。  まずは御礼まで。

その他の回答 (2)

noname#25513
noname#25513
回答No.3

3はその解釈で問題ないでしょう。 2は by day で「午後まで」のようなニュアンス。 1は、「差」をあらわします。 わかりやすい例は I got 700 points at the TOEIC test yesterday. It has increased by 100 points from the privious score.

tommy0313
質問者

お礼

• Wu-Wu
  • ベストアンサー率27% (29/106)
回答No.2

1の訳は、TimはOliviaより三歳ほど年上です。 となり、この場合のbyは年の「差」を表します。またこの表現方法は時に限らず長さや重さなどにも使われます。 2と3は質問者さんの解釈で問題ないです。 2のbyは「~の間」という意味ですがあまり使わないような気がします。 このほかのbyの時に関する使い方は無いのではないでしょうか。

tommy0313
質問者

お礼

関連するQ&A

• トムの趣味は~することです。

中学校2年レベルです。 「トムの趣味は野球をすることです。」を英語で書く場合、 動名詞を使って、 Tom's hobby is playing tennis. だと思いますが、これを不定詞を使って、 Tom's hobby is to play tennis. と言うことは可能でしょうか。 更に「~すること」を主語にして、「野球をすることは、トムの趣味です。」を Playing baseball is Tom's hobby. はもちろん言えると思いますが、、 To play baseball is Tom's hobby. も正しい表現と言えますか。 こんなレベルの低い問題・・・!  とおっしゃらないで、回答いただけでばありがたいです。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

• 中3の英作の問題です。

兄弟のなかで誰が一番テニスがうまいかを尋ねる場合 模範解答は、Who is the best tennis player among your brothers?ですが Who plays tennis the best of his brothers? Who is the best at playing tennis of your brothers?ではだめでしょうか 君は次に何を歌うつもりですか 模範解答はWhat are you going to sing next ? What are you sing a song next ? とa song をいれたらいけないでしょうか。よろしくおねがいします。

• 下記の英文を訳してくださる方はいませんか?

Note that in the twenty-nine centuries between 1000 B.C. and 1900, life expectancy increased by almost thirty years, and in the seventy years between 1900 and it increased almost another twenty-four years. These striking increases are misleading, however, because the averages reflect to a very large extent reductions in infant mortality. The figures we have been discussing-the ones in the first row of the second section-are life expectancies at birth. The second row of this table shows the life expectancies at the age of sixty-five years. It can be seen that in 1970, the average sixty-five-year-old could expect to live about fifteen more years, to the age of about eighty-nine years longer than the average life expectancy of the newborn infant. That is, when you were born you could expect to live seventy-one years, and as you grew older and survived longer, you could expect to live longer. (See P&L Close-up, Life Expectancy: How Long Is long?) お願いします。

• 続いている、の表現は?

この祭りは10年間続いています、を英訳するとどれがいいのですか? 1. this festival continues for ten years. 2. this festival has been continuing for ten years. 3. this festival has been going on for ten years. 4. this festival is going on for ten years. また、表現内容のニュアンスの違いなどありましたら、教えてください。

• Whose bag is this?の答え方

Whose bag is this?という質問ではIt's my friend's.のように答えるという事は理解しています。ただ、そのmy freind がどういう人であるか、という説明を加えて、一文で表現したい場合を質問します。 例えば、It' s my freind’s. He is playing tennis over there. といえばいいかもしれませんが、「あっちでテニスをしている友達のものだよ」って一文で言うとしたら、どう表現できますか。関係代名詞とか動名詞は使えますか?

• 至急!英文の添削をお願いします

1)We are going to leave for Australia (for two weeks). 2)I (usually take my habit) never to eat between meals. 3)(Every time) I talk to her, I feel so happy. 4)(It is) almost ten years since I met you in New York. 5)This book contains (much of) new information. 6)He has to stay at home (by) next Friday. 7)I don't know (to some extent) I can trust them. 8)Hardly (had) I arrived at the station (before) the train started. 9)"(How often) did you visit the place?"-"(Every) five years." 10)(How much) wine is left in the bottle? ()内の添削をお願いします。 解説も加えてくださると助かります。 よろしくお願いします。

• it について

The local truck plant is going to expand its production line over the next five years as it closes factories in other parts of the country. この文で it closes の it はどう理解すればよいかを教えてください。お願いいたします。

• 動詞の時制について

(1)I(watch) the TV program when a friend of mine called me up. (2)It was discovered later that the earth (move) around the sun. (3)My uncle gave me the wacth that he (buy) in Switzerland. (4)I (finish) all the course work for the degree last year. (5)They (be married) for five years. (6)If she (study) English hard, she will definitely pass the entrance exam. 自分なりに解答しましたが、自信がありません英語の得意な方教えてください。 (1)was watching (2)is moving (3)had bough (4)finished (5)are married (6)studied

• どなたか和訳を教えて下さい

You will have plenty of time to wonder about what movie you will see to-night, or where some girl is going, or when you will see some certain boy at some time other than while playing tennis.”

• E-mail 送る前にチェックお願いします。

Is it cold in Italy? Japan is hit by the cold wave . Now, it is snowing. By tha way,My second daughter goes to Italy . Her name is SI. she is 30 years old. She arrives in Rome on February 3,and Rome is left on March 16. She is going to go to Ferrara at the time past February 20. She hopes to visit your house. Would you teach the address and telephone number? Good-bye ! 奥さんが書きましたが私は goes to Italy. を is going to Italy. arrives を is going to arrive Would you teach を Would you like to teach me your address and telephone number. などにしたほうがいいかな? と思いますが おかしな所 教えてください。