• ベストアンサー

この節のCは??

入試問題からの抜粋ですが、 However, I feel that the teacher's role is more fundamental than the critic's. It comes down ultimately, I think, to the fact that his first obligation is to the truth of the subject he is teaching, and that for the reading of literature ever to become a habit and a pleasure, it must first be a discipline. のthe fact以下。 that his first obligation is to the truth of the subject he is teaching // that は同格のthat でthe fact の内容を説明していると考えると、それに続くhis ~teachingまでの節中では、 his first obligationがS。isがV。ではCは何なのでしょうか?toから始まる前置詞句はCにはなれないと思うのですが、、、わかりません。 どなたかご存知の方、ぜひ教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ryu_chan
  • ベストアンサー率37% (69/186)
回答No.3

be動詞の後に前置詞句は普通にきます。 He is at the station. 彼は駅にいます。 Kyoto is to the west of Tokyo. 京都は東京の西にあります。 Journalism's first obligation is to the truth. Its first loyalty is to citizens. ジャーナリズムの第一の責任は真実である。最も忠実であるべきものは市民に対してである。 副詞も普通にきます。 He is up. 彼は起きている。 これらをSVCのCというかは知らないですけど。^^; link to the official site(公式サイトへのリンク)というフレーズがセンテンスになると、 The link is to the official site. そのリンクは公式サイトに関連付けられています。 だから、obligation to the truth(真実に対する責任)というフレーズが分かれば、だいたいの意味をつかみ取れると思います。 his first obligation is to the truth 彼の第一の責任は真実である。 subject he is teaching 彼が教えている教科 全体の意味は、No.1さんの訳でいいと思います。

inoinoko
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございました。 「前置詞句(副詞句)も補語になりますよ」の書き出しにハッとしました。高校までの英文法基本では、「補語になれるのは名詞・代名詞・形容詞」ですが、「一部の副詞も補語になる」んでしたね。 I'm from Kyoto.のように... 大事なことを思い出させていただきました。ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

• Riverview
  • ベストアンサー率63% (227/355)
回答No.2

今気づいたのですが、ご質問の意図を正確に捉えていませんでした。前の回答に書いたことを理解していなかったと誤解したのは失礼の至りで、お詫びします。改めてご質問の主旨に沿って回答します。 まず、使用例を挙げると The judge's only obligation is to the rule of law. 判事のただ一つの責務は法の原則に対してである。 Journalism's first obligation is to the truth. ジャーナリズムの一番の責務は真実に対してである。 つまり、is to+名詞という使い方はあるということです。では、これをどう考えるかです。文章として成立するためにはここでは補語が必要になりますが、toの前にobligation(または、one)が省略されていると考えてはどうでしょうか。obligation is obligation toでは冗長で、省略しても誤解の余地はないと思います。

inoinoko
質問者

お礼

早速の回答ありがとうございます。 文章を文法にガチガチに当てはめて解釈しようとすると疑問点が山のように出てきて頭が痛くなります。。。でも分かったときは、その分爽快なんですがね。 is+to名詞の例をたくさん挙げていただき、ありがとうございました。 また、よろしくお願いします。

• Riverview
  • ベストアンサー率63% (227/355)
回答No.1

that his first obligation is to the truth of the subject he is teaching <<that は同格のthat でthe fact の内容を説明していると考えると、それに続くhis ~teachingまでの節中では、his first obligationがS。isがV >> この部分は同じ解釈です。 <<ではCは何なのでしょうか?>> 前置詞句がCになれないという指摘も正しいといえます。しかし、to the truth of the subject he is teachingの部分をもう一度見つめてください。truthにとらわれすぎてはいませんか。ここでは、subjectも目的語なれます。つまり、「教えている教科」と捉えたらどうでしょうか。直訳調だと、「彼の第一番の責務は彼が教えている教科の正しさにある」となりますが、もう少し分かりやすく言うなら、「一番の責務は担当する教科で間違ったことを教えないこと」という感じでしょう。

関連するQ&A

• 再び構文把握の問題です

教えてください。本当にすみませんが、自分なりに頑張っても分からないので再投稿させていただきました。先ほどと違う文章です。 強調構文の考え方です。It is~thatと言う文章でこれらを省略しても文章が成り立っているのなら強調構文である。と書いてありました。 It is a fact that he wants to know.→a fact he wants to know→He wants to know a fact.となり、たとえば、It is a fact that he has won the game.は同じようにやるとa factの役割が不明になり、前とは違って成り立たない。よってこれは強調構文ではない。ここまでは理解できます。 しかしこの考え方が次の文章では分かりません。この文章ではどうやって上のような考え方を当てはめればいいのでしょうか。 It ewasn't until mysuitcases and I were piled into a little Fait and the man in dark glasses was telephoning to his mamma that he would be late for supper, that the voice of my mamma could be heard above my desperation. この文章は「It ewasn't until」と「that the voice of 」の「that」が呼応してます。

• 構文把握 教えてください。

強調構文の考え方です。It is~thatと言う文章でこれらを省略しても文章が成り立っているのなら強調構文である。と書いてありました。 It is a fact that he wants to know.→a fact he wants to know→He wants to know a fact.となり、たとえば、It is a fact that he has won the game.は同じようにやるとa factの役割が不明になり、前とは違って成り立たない。よってこれは強調構文ではない。ここまでは理解できます。 しかしこの考え方が次の文章では分かりません。この文章ではどうやって上のような考え方を当てはめればいいのでしょうか。 It is not the fact virtue wins out at the end which promotes morality ,but that the hero is the most attractive to the child,who identifies with the hero in all his struggles. よろしくお願いします。

• 前置詞+wh-節とthat節の違いについて

例えば、 He is aware that it is difficult to do ~ . という文章と、 He is aware of how difficult it is to do ~ . という文章を比べた場合、なぜthat節の時はofが抜け落ちて、wh-節の時はofがつかないとダメなのですか?

• 日本語訳を!c14-5

お願いします!  At about the same time as Mahavira was wandering around the forest and cities of the Ganga Valley,another prince was asking similar questions.His name was Siddhartha Gautama.Like Mahavira's father,Siddhartha's father tried to protect him from anything ugly or painful.Like Mahavira,Siddhartha married and had a child.And like Mahavira,Siddhartha gradually realized that the world was a place of suffering.He gave up his life of luxury,left his palace,and began to seek enlightenment.Buddhists believe that after six years of fasting and long periods of meditating in the same position without moving a muscle,he realized that physical discipline was not the way to achive enlightenment.When he told this to five fellow sages,they left him in the forest,disgusted that he had given up so easily.But Siddhartha continued to meditate.One night,as he sat on a grass mat under the arching branches of a bodhi(wild fig) tree,he realized something that would change his life forever.It occurred to Siddhartha that  1)humans experience pain  2)desire or wanting is what causes this pain  3)the only way to avoid suffering is to control desire  4)a person can be freed from desire,and achieve Enlightenment,by living with others and following the Eightfold Path.  Siddhartha called this form of enlightenment Nirvana.Once he experienced Nirvana for himself,he became known as the Buddha.  Although he did not think anyone would be interested in his message,he decided to share what he had discovered.At the town of Sarnath,the five friends who had abandoned him in the forest came to listen to him teach.These five became his first followers.For the next 45 years,the Buddha traveled from city to city and village to village,teaching people about kindness,compassiom,and truth,as he did in these instructions to one of his followers:  The wise and moral man  Shines like a fire on a hilltop  Making honey like a bee  Who does not hurt the flower.

• よろしくお願いします

My brother is 30 years old and has a history of making bad choices, including a DUI and probation. After several years adrift, he finally seemed to be getting his act together. He got accepted to graduate school and did well enough that he was offered a teaching position upon graduation. However, I recently found out that my brother was accused of sexual assault by a female undergraduate student. The college rescinded his teaching contract, and basically told him that if he disappeared, no charges would be filed by the institution or the accuser. My brother didn't fight it or get an attorney, he simply packed up and left town. I talked to him about it briefly and he shows no remorse, regret, guilt, or desire to defend his name. In fact, his attitude was cavalier and entitled, as though he was baffled that anyone would make a big deal about it. While I have no proof, his attitude toward the situation makes me fairly confident that my brother is, indeed, a sexual predator of some nature. 1 なぜbad choicesにprobationが含まれているのでしょうか? 2 remorseとregretはなにが違うのでしょうか? 3 his attitude was cavalier and entitledの意味を教えてください。 4 of some natureの意味は何でしょうか? 以上、よろしくお願いします

• paying his way

Two years after my mom made that decision, my dad successfully applied to be transferred to a prison closer to us. I would love to say that he did it because he really wanted to reconnect with his daughter, but the truth is that he wanted to be closer to his mother. She was paying his way in prison. paying his wayとはどういうことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします!高校の課題です。

Even if he is well past retirement age , it is not safe to take note of his advanced age unless he himself mentions it first, something that many elderly people avoid doing. 特にsomething が何を指しているのかがわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 日本語訳を!c12-1

お願いします!  Which of ancient India's treasures would you most like to take home with you? One of those cool carnelian belts? A rope of milky pearls? A personalized seal carved with your name and favorite animals? An intricately inlaid chest of shisham wood? Or perhaps a brightly glazed and gracefully shaped ceramic pot?  Many of the people who love ancient India would choose none of those things.They would vote for the narratives Mahabharata and the Ramayana,religious poems that are as widely read and loved today as they were when they were first composed thousands of years ago.  The hero of the Mahabharata is a great warrior named Prince Arjuna.He falls in love with Princess Draupadi,and wins her hand in marriage by stringing a massive bow that is too heavy for anyone else to use.Then he uses the bow to shoot out the eye of a golden fish spinning on top of a tall pole,while lonking at the fish's reflection in a vat filled with boiling water.  Despite his beautiful wife and fabulous archery skills,Prince Arjuna has a problem.He and his four brothers,the Pandavas,are at war with his cousins,the Kauravas.Arjuna wants to win tge war and defeat his evil cousins.But at the same time,he wants to be a good man,and good men don't go around making war on their relatives.In the Bhagavad Gita,a poem that is part of the Mahabharata,Arjuna tells his charioteer that“conflicting sacred duties confound my reason.”  Lucky for Prince Arjuna,his charioteer turns out to be Lord Krishna,who is an avatar of Vishnu,the deity who preserves life.Krishna explains to Arjuna that even though he may not want to hurt his cousins,it's Arjuna's duty-his dharma-to protect what is right.Krishna asks Arjuna what he thinks would happen to the world if the deities didn't do their duty,and dxplains that performing his dharma is the only path to peace and salvation.Otherwise,he will just be reborn endlessly until he gets it right.

• 英語の文法ミス指摘してください

I like this story because there are many points, which makes me thinking about what human-being happiness is many times. Even though, Robert has a physical disability, he enjoys his life more than me. He did not imply negative contents of his physical disability. On the contrary, he has great pride in himself. For example, when the wife offered him to move his staff to his room, he said, “it can go up when I go up”. He declined her gentle offer because he wanted to do whatever he could do it by himself because of his pride. Also, he alway tries enjoying his life. When the husband offers blind man to smoke together, he accepts that offer, and he said, “There is a first time for everything”. Although it was a first time to smoke, He didn't to hesitate to do it. He likes doing new challenge, which is worth doing. That is why he enjoys his life.

• 英文和訳

That sort of inaccuracy is not likely to place Woods in contention this weekend. Indeed, Woods is closer to missing the cut at the Open for the first time since 1995, when he withdrew from his first Open after shooting a first-round 83 here at Shinnecock, than he was to Maruyama's lead. 上記英文の he was to Maruyama's lead.はどう訳すのですか?