Terrible and Dreadful: A Terrible Dining Experience

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Simon and Cathy have a terrible dining experience at a new wine bar.
  • They complain about the dreadful food and small portions.
  • Simon finds a thumb on his steak, but the waiter assures him it's not very hot.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

terribleとdreadful

SimonとCathyというカップルがレストランに行く場面です。 Simon and Cathy can't find a free table anywhere,so they try a new wine bar near their house. Cathy: This place is really terrible, darling. The food's dreadful and the portions are so small! Simon: Hey,waiter, your thumb's on my steak! Waiter:Oh don't worry,sir. It's not very hot. (1)barとpubってどう違うんでしょうか? (2)terribleとdreadfulは類義語ですが、どういったニュアンスの差があるでしょうか? 訳すとすれば “The food's dreadful”は「料理がすごくまずい」となるでしょうけど、 terribleに置き換えても同じような訳になると思います。 (3)thumb'sは thumb isの短縮形ですが、bは発音するのでしょうか?

noname#47281
noname#47281
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

Gです。 始めまして。 あなたのご回答を読ませて参考にさせていただいています。 では私なりに書かせてくださいね。 1) この違いはbarは酒だけ、Pubは料理も、と言う違いがこちらアメリカでは出していますね。 ごめんなさい、他の国のことは私は無知に近いです。 2) dreadfulはterribleよりもっと気分を悪くする(心理的な気分で吐き気を催すと言う意味ではなく)と言うフィーリングが強く感じます。 3)これは、sを発音するときにどうしてもmの後で唇が離れますので、そのときにbの音が「出てしまう」と言う人がいます。 仕方ないと私は見ます。 これでいかがでしょうか。 分かりにくい点がありましたら、補足質問してください。 

関連するQ&A

• cultureの解釈

CathtyとSimonの夜のテレビ番組をめぐっての会話です。 Cathy: What's on television this evening? Simon: I don't know. Look in the paper. Cathy: The news starts at seven o'clock and there's a good film on BBC at nine. Simon: Yes, but what time is “Match of the day”? Cathy: Oh Simon, you know I can't stand sports. Simon: Well, there's ice skating at quater past ten. Cathy: That's a much better idea. A bit of culture. ここでしっくり来なかったのは、SimonがMatch of the dayを見ようとしたら、Cathyがスポーツは大嫌いだと反論しますが、アイススケートで落ち着きますよね。しかし、アイススケートもスポーツの一つですよね。Cathyとしては、サッカーやホッケーのような球技はダメだがアイススケートはOKということですよね。 更に、最後の A bit of cultureですが、これはこのことを言っていると思います。しかし、スポーツもcultureの一つのような気がしますが、ここでは反対的な意味合いを感じます。A bit of cultureを「少しの文化」と訳したら まるっきり意味が通らなくなりますよね。私としては 前の much betterもやや消極的で 「よっぽどまし」くらいの意味で、 A bit of cultureで「こっちの方が少しは華があるわね。」と読みましたが、こういう解釈で正しいでしょうか? それから、look inはlook intoにも置き換えられると思いますが、ニュアンスの差はありますか?

• 2重構造の疑問文

Cathyが半年以上も前に求職を申し込んだ会社から面接の通知が電話で来て、面接の会場までどうやって行くか 夫のSimonと相談している場面の会話です。 Simon: You could drive, but it's quite a long way. Cathy: How far is it from here? About a hundred and fifty miles? Simon: No, it's more like eight. You could take the train. Cathy: I suppose so. How long does it take, do you think? Simon: Normally about two hours. But there are often delays on the Manchester-York line. There's always National Coaches. There're pretty reliable. Wait. I've got an idea. Brian goes to York every week on business. I'm sure he would give you a lift. Cathy: Brilliant. Would you mind asking him for me? Simon: Of course not. I'll call right now. そこで質問です。 (1)Cathyの“ How long does it take, do you think?”というセリフですが、学校で習う英語だと How long do you think it takes?”になると思いますが、意味的な違いもあるでしょうか? (2)あと、英語の質問とは少し反れますが、Simonのセルフの“But there are often delays on the Manchester-York line. There's always National Coaches. There're pretty reliable.”という部分で、この文を読む限りには 列車よりも coachの方が 時間が正確だと解釈できますが、渋滞などで時間が遅れることは少ないのでしょうか。確かに列車もマンチェスター・ヨーク間は本数も多いでしょうけど、それでもよく遅れが出るんでしょうかね?

• whoseの用法

CathyがSarahにペンを借りようとしている場面です。 Cathy: Whose pen is this? Sarah: It's mine. It's got my name on it. Cathty: Can I borrow it to write a letter? Sarah: I hate lending things! Where's yours? Ask Kate if you can borrow hers. Or maybe Simon can lend you his. Cathy: You're joking, he's got more sense! そこで質問ですが、「Whose pen is this?」で、私が学校で習った記憶では 「Whose is this pen?」という構文でしたが、それらは全く同じように使っていいのでしょうか? また この会話で少し分かりにくかったのは、最後の he's got more sense! の部分なんですが、これは 「Simonなら あなたと違ってペンくらい貸してくれるよ。」という皮肉を込めたセリフと解釈していいでしょうか?

• thumbs‥‥thumbが複数形になる理由が分かりません。

thumbs‥‥thumbが複数形になる理由が分かりません。 The thumbs and foreginger touching each other to form an "O" is the American expression for "ok". 一本の親指と人差し指が合わさって「O」になるのに、なぜthumb が複数形になるのでしょうか? どうぞ宜しくお願いします。

• reciprocateの意味

We are having a struggle in our family, and I'm unsure how to handle it. Three years ago, our adult nephew, Connor, underwent hormone therapy, counseling and transgender surgery. She is now our niece Cathy. The transformation was successful, and Cathy is happier than we've ever seen her. We loved Connor, and nothing has changed in our relationship with Cathy. She has visited us numerous times, and we have reciprocated. ここでのreciprocatedの具体的な意味について教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

The band is—black. In attire mostly, and hair. Delila’s hair is solidly a part of the act. The aptly named lead singer and front-woman for TLI, she throws it perfectly in time with her emphasis on vocals and the movement of her hips. And she’s sexy. There’s no denying it. She is beautiful to watch. Visually she’s somewhere between Joan Jett and Blondie, and vocally Janis Joplin and Joan Baez. And she’s a stunning performer. Dynamic, delicate, powerful, feminine, terrorizing, intense, edgy, poetic, all at once. She wears her guitar more easily and comfortably than a handbag, and the way she moves with it… The girl can move. Edgey, on the other hand, is definitely the power-force behind the band. His presence is very New York and so is his voice. He’s imposing and street and yet understated. His Jim Morrison black hair covers just slightly his eyes and parts of his face so you feel like you can never fully see him, but you want to, because he is so interesting, so multifaceted and with so much to say.

• 日本の中学の英語の教科書の英文はお行儀がよすぎて不自然では?

こんにちは。似たような質問が過去にも何度かありましたが、具体例をあげて検証してみます。 これは外国人向けの英語の入門書から拾った英文です。かなり自然な英文だと思います。 Dave: Cathy, Mike's arriving from Texas this afternoon. Can you meet him at the airport? Cathy: But I don't know him. How can I recognise him? Dave: You'll recognise him as soon as he gets off the plane. He's at least six feet tall and weighs twenty stone. He's got long grey hair, blue eyes and a white beard. He always wears a yellow and black shirt, red leather cowboy boots and an enormous green hat. Cathy: Yeah, no problem. しかし、日本の中学の英語の教科書だったら、次のように書き直すのではないでしょうか? Dave: Cathy, Mike is going to arrive from Texas this afternoon. Can you go to the airport to pick him up? Cathy: But I don't know him. How can I know who is him? Dave: You will know who is him as soon as he gets off the plane. His height is one hundred eighty centimeters at least and his weight is about one hundred thirty kilograms. He has long gray hair, blue eyes and a white beard. He always wears a yellow and black shirt, red leather cowboy boots and an very big green hat. Cathy: Oh,yes, that's all right. みなさんはどう思いますか?

• 英和を教えてください。

「イギリス料理はステーキ、ハム、ソーセージ、野菜や豆や肉を茹でたり煮込んだりしたもの、魚の燻製などのようなものが中心となる。主食はジャガイモで、ロースとポテトやマッシュポテト、チップスなど付けあわせとしてもいろんな料理と一緒に付いてくる」と言う文ですが、以下の所まで出来ましたが、後が分かりません。foodを複数形にするのかsteak、hamなどにa をつけるのか迷いましたが良く分かりません。教えてください。 The popular Britain foods are steak, ham, sausage, and stewed vegetables, beans, or meats. The staple food is potato ・・・

• この英文におかしいところがあったら教えて下さい。英会話パート2

Pleasu look at this picture. I go to the festival with freinds.We had a yukata on.I wore yukata for the first time this year.How is dressing in yukata? The festival is pieasant.They go to the fireworks,They are my best friends. We keep a dog and cat.The dog is name Hana and the cat is name Mike. I sometime take a walk with these two.However when the summer vacation came I took a walk.These two is my family's members. My parents run coffeehouse.I help the shop durning the summer vacation.I worked as a waiter ask guests and serve cooking and so on. I found the difficulty for the first time. です。

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

The truth is that Japan is so insular and tribalistic that foreigners will remain perpetual outsiders and will never be accepted in society. (“So...that...” means to the extent that. “Tribalistic” means advocating or practicing strong loyalty to one's own tribe or social group.)