• ベストアンサー

how の訳し方

(1) How does she know we haven't received any letters from her? (2) How do you know she is fine?  (3) How to make a phone call (1)私たちが一通も彼女からの手紙を受け取っていないことを、彼女はどのような方法で知るんだろう? (2)彼女が元気だって事をあなたはどのようにして知るの? (3)電話のかけ方 とそれぞれ訳したのですが、おかしな点はありませんか?  よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.3

アメリカに36年住んでいる者です。 私なりに書かせてくださいね。 3)は問題ないですが、1)と2)には二つの意味があります。 ひとつはyumehitoyoの訳のとおりです。 これをもう少し普通の日本語に書いておきますね(A)。 もうひとつは日本語でも同じ言葉の遣い方をする使い方(B)ですが学校英語では高学年で教えていると思います。 (1) How does she know we haven't received any letters from her? 私たちが一通も彼女からの手紙を受け取っていないことを、彼女はどのような方法で知るんだろう?  A) なんで彼女からまだ彼女の手紙を受け取っていないと知っているのですか? (疑問文として答えを求めている表現ですね) これはHow did she find out that we haven't received any letters from her?と言う文章と殆ど同じ意味を持ちますね。 B) なんで彼女は知っているっていえるんだよ、知っているはずないだろう。 知っているわけはないんだけどな。(逆のことを言っている肯定文です。 反意、と呼んでいますね。) I doubt she knows for usre that we haven't received any letters from her.と似たフィーリングを持っています。 (2) How do you know she is fine?  彼女が元気だって事をあなたはどのようにして知るの? A)なんであなたは彼女が元気と知っているのですか? How did you find out that she is fine? B) なんで知っているんだよ(知っているといえるんだよ)、知っているはずないだろう。 I doubt you know for sure that she is fine. A)ではknowにアクセントがつきます。 B)ではyouにアクセントがかかります。 この違いによって殆どの場合どちらを言っているか分かります。 これでいかがでしょうか。 分かりにくい点がありましたら、補足質問してください。

yumehitoyo
質問者

お礼

なるほど、反語的意味を持つわけですね。しかもアクセントの位置までお教えいただき、本当に参考になりました。ありがとうございました。 また何かありましたら、ご迷惑でしょうが、よろしくお願いします。m(_ _)m

その他の回答 (2)

• rose_jp00
  • ベストアンサー率33% (7/21)
回答No.2

おかしな点はまったく無いですが、ニュアンス的に2)は下記の様になると思います。こうアメリカ人が言った時は、知るはずが無いと思っていたのになぜあなたはその事を知っているの?と言うニュアンスが含まれている事が多いです。 2)あなたは彼女が元気だってどうして分かるの?

yumehitoyo
質問者

お礼

そうですね、反語的な表現になるようですね。 ご回答ありがとうございました。m(_ _)m

• tdpixy
  • ベストアンサー率20% (38/186)
回答No.1

合っていると思いますよ。

yumehitoyo
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございました。m(_ _)m

関連するQ&A

• How's things?

A: Good morning, Monsieur Lefevre. How's things? B: Well, thanks, and you? A: Fine, thanks. B: Do you have any butter? A: Yes, of course. B: Well, a pat of butter. Do you have any Italian Cheese? A: Any parmesan? No, I don't have any Italian cheese. B: Pity! Well, give me some ordinary cheese. A: But, Monsieur Lefevre, we don't have any ordinary cheese in France. We have a cheese for each day of the year! B: So, give me today's cheese! そこで質問です。 (1)How's things?のhow's って how isの短縮形なんでしょうか? それなら なぜ thingが複数になっているのが分かりません。それから、この表現は How are you?より くだけた表現なのでしょうか? 他にも How's life? という表現もありますが、どういったニュアンスの差がありますか? (2)someとかanyって絶対にないといけないんでしょうか?

• sync up

I am black, while my longtime girlfriend is white. We have been talking about marriage for a while, but after the recent shootings, she told me that she couldn’t have a black baby in this world. She is too afraid. I don’t know what to tell her—she hasn’t had to grow up with sermons on how not to get killed by the police or how to speak “right.” We live on the coast in a diverse city and everything else syncs up: our education, political goals, spending habits, etc., but our skin difference has never been more apparent. I know my parents like her but would rather see me with a girl of my own racial background. I really don’t know how to move on here. Can you help? Should we split up? Does that mean the bigots win? Or are we fooling ourselves? everything else syncs upとfooling ourselvesはどのような意味でしょうか? ”"Get back to me on this and we'll sync up later"という例文があったのですが、we'll sync up laterはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳をお願いします!

How To Make Babies After much controversy, a school adopted a sex-education program. One mother hadn't been too enthusiastic about it and was worried how her small daughter would react. Imagine her feelings when the youngster came home and asked, 'Mommy, guess what? We learned how to make babies today!' 'What?' the mother gasped. Then, trying to speak calmly, she asked, 'Tell me ,dear,how DO you make babies?' 'Easy,' the little one said. 'You drop the Y and add I-E-S.' ジョークの部分も教えて貰えると嬉しいです!

• 現在完了の否定

こんにちわ。英語初心者です。 英語の参考書に次の文章と訳文が書かれていました。 We haven't received any mail today. (今日は郵便物を受け取っていない) この文章で現在完了の否定が使われていますが、次の文と何が違いますか?どう使い分けるのでしょうか。 We don't receive any mail today. よろしくお願いします!

• yet etc.

いくつか質問があるのですが、一つでもいいので教えていただけるとうれしいです。よろしくお願いします。 (1)学校では現在完了形で「まだ~ない」だとyetを使ってWe haven't decided yet.だとしか習わなかったのですが、次の3つの文が使われているのを見ました。ニュアンスの違いはありますか? We still haven't decided. /We haven't decided yet./ We have yet to decide. (2)My parents weren't too thrilled about her not living with us any more and getting her own apartment. という文でnot too thrilledで、「あまりよく思っていない」くらいなのか「怒るくらい嫌だと思っている」のか教えてください。 (3) Is there any chance that....?とIs it possible...?に違いはありますか?丁寧度の違いなどがあれば教えてください。

• How much better...?

小説を読んでいるのですが、ちょっとニュアンスがわからないところがあり、質問させてください。 医者と恋仲になったある女性が、女友達と話している場面で、 "彼は素晴らしい人だし、凄い仕事をしているわ。世界で尊敬されている医療施設でエイズの脅威から人類を救おうとしているのよ。How much better does it get?" "It gets better than that." she grinned, the dark clouds suddenly gone from her face. 簡単な英文なのですが、そのまま訳すと意味がよくわかりません。 「それがどれほどよくなるのか」 「それよりはよくなるだろう」 お分かりの方、ご教示よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

My husband and I enjoy going to estate sales. Recently, we were shocked when we heard an estate sales representative ask an older lady if she could afford what she was looking at. The woman answered yes. Shortly after that, as the woman was leaving, the estate representative asked her if she could search the pockets in her jacket! She said yes, and nothing was found on her. The estate sales representative followed up with, You know how it is. We were appalled, to say the least. We had been browsing right along with the older lady and saw nothing suspicious. What do you make of this? Should we have said something? The estate sales representative followed up with, You know how it is.の和訳をよろしくお願いします

• Do you know a way ~? / Do you know the way?

質問を投げかけるときの冠詞の使い方なのですが、 それぞれのケースで the なのか a なのかよく分かりません。 ここではあえて how は使用しないで考えさせてください。 1.ある特定の場所に行くとき。(実際は色んな行き方がある) Do you know the way/s to go to this store? Do you know a way to go to this store? Do you know any ways to go to this store? 2.ある特定のオペレーションの方法を聞くとき。(実際は色んな方法がある) Do you know the way/s to delete dipulicated files on this computer? Do you know a way to delete dipulicated files on this computer? Do you know any ways to delete dipulicated files on this computer? 3.お好み焼きの作り方を聞くとき。(お好み焼きには色んな種類があって方法はまちまち) Do you know the way/s to cook Okinomiyaki? Do you know a way to cook okonomiyaki? Do you know any ways to cook okonomiyaki? 4.出来上がったお好み焼きを食べながらその秘訣を聞くとき  Do you know the way/s to make this okonomiyaki? Do you know a way to make this okonomiyaki? Do you know any ways to make this okonomiyaki? 5.特定の人物に対して Do you know the way/s to make her happy? Do you konw a way to make her happy? Do you know any ways to make her happy? 6.特定の問題に対して Do you know the way/s to solve this problem? Do you know a way to solve this problem? Do you know any ways to solve this problem? 7. secret の場合はどうなるのでしょうか? Do you know the secret/s of her boyfriend? Do you know a secret of her boyfriend? Do you know any secrets of her boy friend?

• muchとanyのちがい

We haven’t received _____ word yet as to the fate of the seamen who were thrown overboard.で答えはanyになっているのですが、muchも選択肢にあるのですが、muchはこの文章では使えないのでしょうか。なぜ使えないかを教えていただければありがたいです。

• 動名詞の書き換え問題

She is pround that she has a fine collection of painting.をShe is pround ( )( ) a fine collection of painting.にしなければならないとき何を入れればいいのでしょうか? 同じようにJhon regrets that did not call her. Jhon regrets (  )(  )(  )her. I insisted that he should answer the question. I insisted (  )(  )(  )the question. 等もあるのですが,( )中になんと入れていいのか分かりません!!どういう風にまず,説けばいいのでしょうか?アドバイスお願いします!!