ウェンディ・チャン: 自閉症とは何ですか?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 自閉症についてのTED動画の要約です。
  • 動画内の8:33および9:31の箇所について質問します。
  • 8:33の場面での表現や9:31でのフレーズの意味について教えてください。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

TED動画: ウェンディ・チャン: 自閉症

以下の添付リンクのTED 動画についての質問です。 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wKlMcLTqRLs&list=PL30zjok3FlgBahnG25C-PZZYuwOt-AnSM&index=2&t=612s 動画の中の8:33 ,9:31の時点で現れる 文章の理解が難しいです。 ① 8:33 And the reason is because in certain individuals, they can actually have genetic changes or mutations that are not passed down from the mother or from the father, but actually *start brand new in them*, mutations that are present in the egg or the sperm at the time of conception but have not been passed down generation through generation within the family. brand new は辞書で見ると、形容詞として載っているのですが、今回の文章で形容詞として見ると理解できなくなります。どのように解釈すればいいのか教えてください。宜しくお願いします。 ② 9:31 In doing so, I apologize, I'm going to use an outdated analogy of encyclopedias rather than Wikipedia, but I'm going to do so to try and help make the point that as we *did this inventory*, we needed to be able to look at massive amounts of information. did this inventoryは 以下の意味と同じで、ただ、take やmake の代わりとして、didが使われているという理解であっているのか分からないです。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。 > [take [or make] (an) inventory of ... (1)…の一覧表[目録]を作る. (2) ⦅比喩的⦆ …を詳しく調ベる] (ランダムハウス辞典)

noname#252302
noname#252302
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#250479
noname#250479
回答No.1

(1) start brand new in them は start in a brand-new pattern (way, manner, etc.) in them と解釈すればいいのではないですか?一般的に、動詞のあとにいきなり形容詞が来たら、副詞として解釈すればおしまいというパターンが多いですよね。 (2) take, make の代わりに do (did) が使われているということで、間違いないです。一般的に話し言葉では、いちいち正確な動詞を使う代わりに do で済ませてしまうことが多いです。日本語だって同じですよね。正確な難しい動詞を使う代わりに、日本語でも「する」とか「やる」で済ませてしまうことが多いです。

noname#252302
質問者

お礼

分かりやすく解説してくださりありがとうございました。そのため、理解する事ができました。わたしのためにお時間割いてくださって、回答してくださりありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• よろしくお願いします

Q. Help is not needed: I recently tried to assist a disabled person getting out of an SUV onto a wheelchair. At the time, it seemed like she had trouble controlling the chair, and I rushed to help. She was brought to tears as she tried to get me to move away. But then she seemed like she was about to fall again while trying to sit in the chair. In retrospect, I think I might have overreacted. But, again, she insisted that I did not help her. I see that person more or less every day, and I am uncomfortable about the right thing. I don’t know if apologizing will make things worse. Is there anything to do to make this right or less awkward? A: You say the woman in question seemed “about to fall again” but not that she ever actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happened. she insisted that I did not help her.は「彼女は私を助けないでと主張した」でしょうか?あと、 not that she ever actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happenedのeverはどのような役割でしょうか?また、had it actually happenedは仮定法でしょうか?not that以下の全体の訳も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• このwhatの使い方を教えて下さい

英文で "But in terms of going from campaigning to what we did in the laboratory, that’ a large leap." という文章が出てきたのですが、何と訳せばいいでしょうか? 直訳すると 「しかし、選挙運動、私たちが実験室でしたこと、飛躍しすぎです。」 となって、意味が分かりません。 間に入っているwhatって何でしょうか? ご存じの方が見えましたらご教授の程、よろしくお願い申し上げます。

• 謝辞

論文などの謝辞で、 若くして亡くなった、しかし~~学に偉大なる貢献をした~~へ。 とスマートな英語でかきたいのですが。。。 To ~~ , who passed away young but did make a great contribution to ~~. でいいのでしょうか? かっこいい(でも失礼じゃない)書き方に直していただけませんか?

• 英文の和訳をお願いします。

But he postulated a change of human nature fostered by communism. It took many generations to prove him wrong. With the exception of a few diehards, none of today’s communist leaders hold to that orthodoxy. In the West, the moral validity of property rights is accepted, or at least acquiesced in, by virtually the whole of the population. This is true even in societies which are disdainful of competition. Attitudes toward property ownership are passed from one generation to the next through family values and education. These attitudes derive from the deepest values governing social interaction that people hold.

• 英語の訳の問題です

Los Angeles is unique unto itself;but unique in a special way that makes it strangely familiar to an English academic of my generation and experience. but以下がよくわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英語の翻訳をお願いします

長文ですが、次の英語の翻訳をお願いします。 ある俳優にファンが出演した映画について聞いています Q:I was going to ask you Randy about Lorton Lake. A:You know Danny finished that and like re-edited it and did something with it. The director, sorry, the director has had like full control of overall about whatever we make and then he is going to cut down. And I think he did some weird re-edit of it and it played at some places under a different name, but I don't actually have that in control over that anymore. I was like… Q:Don't know if we are going to get to see that then? A:I don't know, I should talk to him while I am here, I need to… Probably not. Q:There is so many things that you guys do that we don't get to see. A:I know, I know, but it's like not good enough for you guys yet, if you see it now. 宜しくお願いします。

• TED Jonathan Bricker 文章解釈

添付ファイルリンク: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tTb3d5cjSFI 2:53にある以下の文章ですが But there is one piece of this puzzle that may hold the key: Our choices about what we do with our cravings to engage in addictive behaviors like smoking or overeating. Our choices about what we do with our cravings to engage in addictive behaviors like smoking or overeating.は one piece of this puzzle that may hold the keyの説明をしていると分かるのですが、 with our cravings to engage in addictive behaviors like smoking or overeating の部分を文法的にどのように疑問理解すれば良いのか分からないです。 Our choices (about what we do )(with our cravings to engage in addictive behaviors like smoking or overeating). のようにour choicesを補足説明するのに (about what we do ) 私たちがする事についての 選択、 (with our cravings to engage in addictive behaviors like smoking or overeating). 喫煙や過食のような依存的行為をしたくなるような渇望に関わる 選択 となっているという理解であっているのか分からないです。 解説宜しくお願いします。

• 訳せない。

Whether it was dancing or fighting that was going on to the music I did now know, but whatever it was, the violence was such that was surprised that the house did not come falling about my ears. butの前までがわかりません。 「夜中に大きな音があって私(筆者)は起こされて、(なぜか)レコードプレーヤが鳴り出した。」(大意) の後の文です。

• 翻訳をお願い致します。

The new GOP health bill only has 20% approval - but they are going to move heaven and earth to get that thing passed. I don't understand the pride of men. This is going to get people killed. There is no place for politics or pride in health care. This is a criminal undertaking and someday these guys will all have to answer for it. We need to tattoo this onto the foreheads of all who voted for it - this kind of cruelty should not be forgotten.

• 英語論文についてです。

今、英語の論文を読んでいるのですが、訳せないところがあります。 As illustrated in Fig. 3C, site directed mutagenesis of either site 1 (S1) or site 2 (S2) resulted in a moderate but significant (P<0.0001) decrease in the expression of sseL::lacZ. Additionally, an sseL manipulated promoter containing both mutations (S1+S2) demonstrated accumulative reduction in the expression of sseL::lacZ by more than 2-fold (P<0.0001), indicating that the S1 and S2 sites are required for optimal expression of sseL, possibly due to their role as PhoP binding sites. To further examine this idea and to rule out the possibility that these positions are used as SsrB binding sites, we analyzed the expression of an altered sseL promoter harboring both mutations in a phoP ssrB background complemented with PhoP or SsrB, provided in trans. In the presence of SsrB, this mutated promoter was readily able to induce sseL::lacZ expression, suggesting that SsrB does not bind to these sites. In contrast, providing PhoP in trans did not induce sseL::lacZ expression from the modified promoter (Fig. 3D), supporting the function of S1 and S2 loci as potential PhoP binding sites. 少し長いですが、どなたか訳せる方、よろしくお願いします。 私事ながら時間がないのです!!助けてください!!