• 質問No.9556143
  • 閲覧数54
  • ありがとう数1
  • 気になる数0
  • 回答数1
  • コメント数0

お礼率 88% (2483/2791)

House's views
Wilson's former friend Edward Mandell House, present at the negotiations, wrote in his diary on 29 June 1919:
I am leaving Paris, after eight fateful months, with conflicting emotions. Looking at the conference in retrospect, there is much to approve and yet much to regret. It is easy to say what should have been done, but more difficult to have found a way of doing it. To those who are saying that the treaty is bad and should never have been made and that it will involve Europe in infinite difficulties in its enforcement, I feel like admitting it. But I would also say in reply that empires cannot be shattered, and new states raised upon their ruins without disturbance. To create new boundaries is to create new troubles. The one follows the other. While I should have preferred a different peace, I doubt very much whether it could have been made, for the ingredients required for such a peace as I would have were lacking at Paris.
China
Many in China felt betrayed as the German territory in China was handed to Japan. Wellington Koo refused to sign the treaty and the Chinese delegation at the Paris Peace Conference was the only nation that did not sign the Treaty of Versailles at the signing ceremony. The sense of betrayal led to great demonstrations in China like the May 4th movement and the fall of the nascent Chinese Republic's government[when?] and poisoned relations with the West. There was immense dissatisfaction with Duan Qirui’s government, which had secretly negotiated with the Japanese in order to secure loans to fund their military campaigns again the south.

On 29 April, the German delegation under the leadership of the Foreign Minister Ulrich Graf von Brockdorff-Rantzau arrived in Versailles. On 7 May, when faced with the conditions dictated by the victors, including the so-called "War Guilt Clause", von Brockdorff-Rantzau replied to Clemenceau, Wilson and Lloyd George: "We know the full brunt of hate that confronts us here. You demand from us to confess we were the only guilty party of war; such a confession in my mouth would be a lie." Because Germany was not allowed to take part in the negotiations, the German government issued a protest against what it considered to be unfair demands, and a "violation of honour",soon afterwards withdrawing from the proceedings of the peace conference.
Germans of all political shades denounced the treaty—particularly the provision that blamed Germany for starting the war—as an insult to the nation's honor. They referred to the treaty as "the Diktat" since its terms were presented to Germany on a take-it-or-leave-it basis. Germany′s first democratically elected head of government, Philipp Scheidemann, resigned rather than sign the treaty. In a passionate speech before the National Assembly on 21 March 1919, he called the treaty a "murderous plan" and exclaimed,
Which hand, trying to put us in chains like these, would not wither? The treaty is unacceptable.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• 回答No.1

ベストアンサー率 80% (5941/7335)

英語 カテゴリマスター
>House's views
Wilson's former friend ~ were lacking at Paris.
⇒ハウスの意見
 ウィルソンの元友人エドワード・マンデル・ハウスは、1919年6月29日の日記に次のように書いている。
 私は、運命の8か月間の後に、相反する感情を抱いてパリを離れます。振り返って会議を見ると、賛成すべきが多々あり、また後悔することも多々あります。何をすべきであったかを言うのは簡単ですが、それを行う方法を見つけ出すのはずっと困難です。この条約はいまだかつてなかったほどひどい、それを強制することはヨーロッパを際限のない混迷に巻き込むことになる、と言っている人々がいます。そのとおりだと認めます。しかしまた、帝国が粉砕されてその廃墟の上に何の障害もなく新しい国家が築かれることなど、あり得ないだろう、と言い返したいです。新しい国境を作ることは、新しい問題を作り出すことです。1つのことは(単独では収まらず)、必ず他に波及します。私は別の平和を優先すべきだったかも知れませんが、私が求めるような平和の要素はこのパリにはありませんでした。

>China
Many in China ~ again the south.
⇒中国
 中国内のドイツ領土が日本に渡されたため、多くの中国人が裏切られたように感じた。ウェリントン・クーがこの条約に署名することを拒否したことで、「パリ平和会議」で中国代表団は調印式で「ヴェルサイユ条約」に署名しなかった唯一の国であった。この裏切りの感覚が、中国の5月4日運動、初期の中国共和国政府の崩壊、および西洋との関係汚染のような、中国における大きなデモンストレーション(示威運動)につながったのである。ドゥアン・チルイ(段棋瑞?)の政府が、南部の軍事行動資金を調達するための融資を確保するため、日本と秘密裏に交渉していたことに対して大きな不満があった。

>On 29 April ~ the peace conference.
⇒4月29日、ウルリッヒ・グラフ・フォン・ブロックドルフ‐ランツァウ外相の指導の下、ドイツ代表団がヴェルサイユに到着した。5月7日、いわゆる「戦争罪の条項」を含む勝利者の条件に直面したとき、フォン・ブロックドルフ‐ランツァウは、クレメンソー、ウィルソン、ロイド=ジョージに対して次のように答えた。「ここでは憎悪の矛先がすべて私たちに向けられていることを我々は承知しています。あなた方は、唯一の戦争犯罪者であったことを告白するよう我々に要求しています。(しかし)私の口からそのような告白をするとしたら、それは嘘になります」。ドイツは交渉に参加することが許されなかったので、ドイツ政府は、不当な要求、「名誉の侵害」に対する抗議の意を表明し、そしてその直後に平和会議の諸手続から撤退した。

>Germans of all ~ treaty is unacceptable.
⇒あらゆる政治的暗部(という十字架)を背負わされたドイツ人は、条約 ― 特に戦争開始の責任をドイツに負わせる条項 ― を国家的名誉への侮蔑であるとして非難した。彼らは、この条約を「強制命令」と呼んだ。その条文が「承諾するかしないかはそちらの勝手だ、いやならやめろ(どうなるか知らんぞ)」というような基盤に立ってドイツに突きつけられているからである。ドイツで初めて民主的に選出された政府首脳フィリップ・シャイデマンは、条約に署名するのを拒んで、辞任した。1919年3月21日、彼は国会前の情熱的な演説をしてこの条約を「殺人計画」と呼び、「一体、我々をこのような鎖(束縛)の中に押し込めようとしながら、腐らない手があるだろうか? こんな条約は容認できない」と叫んだ。
お礼コメント
iwano_aoi

お礼率 88% (2483/2791)

回答ありがとうございました。
投稿日時 - 2018-11-18 14:14:04
AIエージェント「あい」

こんにちは。AIエージェントの「あい」です。
あなたの悩みに、OKWAVE 3,500万件のQ&Aを分析して最適な回答をご提案します。

この言い回しでうまく伝えられた!あなたの知識や経験を教えて!
このQ&Aにはまだコメントがありません。
あなたの思ったこと、知っていることをここにコメントしてみましょう。

その他の関連するQ&A、テーマをキーワードで探す