• ベストアンサー
  • 困ってます

in her honor

I work in a small office (fewer than 20 employees), staffed entirely by women. This is usually a good thing, and we get along well and support one another. There is one employee, “June,” who has been with the company for three to four years, and who recently announced she is leaving to pursue an opportunity with another company. We congratulated her individually on her new opportunity, signed a group card each reiterating a similar message, and had a catered farewell lunch in her honor. After the lunch, another employee found June crying in her office. Apparently, June was upset that we hadn’t given her a parting gift in recognition of her time with the company. Now two employees are asking everyone to contribute toward a gift for June because of how upset she was. I have been at the company for 10 years, and to my knowledge, it is not standard practice for us to give gifts to departing employees unless they are retiring—which June is not. I don’t feel inclined to contribute toward a gift for a grown woman who threw a tantrum because she wasn’t offered a present. But if I don’t, I look like a “bad guy” to my colleagues who I have to continue to work with. Can I draw a line in the sand and opt out of a collective gift? in her honorとcollective giftの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

共感・応援の気持ちを伝えよう!

• 回答数2
  • 閲覧数153
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 回答No.1
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率81% (7251/8919)

>in her honorとcollective giftの意味を教えてください。 ⇒これまで一緒に働いていた「ジューン」が転職で社を出て行くので、その壮行会をめぐって起こった問題に関する質問ですね。 in her honor:「彼女(の転職)を祝して・記念して(お別れの食事会をしました)」。 collective gift:「共同の贈り物(に一線を画して、抜け駆けしてもいいでしょうか?)」。 *何人かで共同してお金を出し合い、1つの贈り物をすること(いわば、寄せ書きの贈り物版)といったイメージです。それから「私」は抜けたいわけですね。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• acknowledge her

One of my co-workers constantly interrupts when I'm having a conversation with other people. It doesn't seem to matter who I am speaking with or what the subject is. She'll interrupt in the middle of the conversation, and everyone must stop and look at her or acknowledge her. ここでのacknowledge herはどう訳したらよいでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• start in

"Dear Prudie, I am a married woman in my early 40s with young children whose longtime, local job in New England is being transitioned to the corporate office in the Midwest. My husband works for the same company and has a job offer there and we’ve decided to relocate. The company is compensating us generously. The issue is that my mother, who’s in her late 60s, is having a very difficult time accepting our decision. She insists that I stay, even though she knows it would put my family at financial risk since I would no longer have a job. She is giving me guilt trips laden with mentions of emotional abandonment, threats that she’d “rather not be alive” if I go, and accusations of putting greed before family. We have asked her to move with us, and she refuses. We have told her we can bring her out for weeks at a time to stay with us, which she also refuses because she said she won’t drive such long distances and doesn’t like to fly. I understand her sadness, but I’m becoming angry and resentful that she thinks it is a viable answer to put my family in financial peril for her. Please help. —Leaving on a Jet Plane? Dear Jet, Though I don’t buy her claims of emotional abandonment, I do buy that you are being emotionally blackmailed. Your mother is insinuating she’ll kill herself if you follow the absolutely necessary path of transferring to headquarters. I believe that’s an empty threat, but if she keeps this up, she’ll only make your move easier by causing you to want to flee her harangues. You don’t say that your mother is infirm, so while she may not be up to driving herself such long distances, there’s no excuse for her to say she’ll refuse to get on a plane for a relatively short hop. But flying to see you wouldn’t even be necessary if she’d agree to take you up on your offer of moving to the Midwest. Presumably, she’s a lifelong New Englander with a web of family and friends, so she may not want to start over. But that’s her decision, and it means spending time with you and the grandchildren will require travel. Tell her you’re going, her options have been explained to her, and you are going to refuse to listen to more weeping and wailing. If she starts in, hang up the phone or leave—until you leave for good. " ここでのstarts inはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• , to which every guest brings a gift for the

A "shower" is a party by women for a bride-to-be, to which every guest brings a gift for the person in whose honor it is held. この文で、質問が2つあります。 まず、1つ目は、”, to which ”になる理由です。 bring a gift for と forで、「ために」となっていると思うのですが。 また、単に、” which " と、カンマ無しで、つなげてはいけないのでしょうか?  もう1つは、”in whose honor it is held”の意味が良くわかりません。 よろしくお願いします。

その他の回答 (1)

• 回答No.2
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3495/7223)

in her honor は in honor の honor という名詞を her という人称代名詞で限定したもの。「彼女が新たな転職先を見つけたことを祝って」 collective gift は、ネットの英和辞典 (Weblio辞典) を見ると 「選別」 とありましたが、ここでは 「会社からの贈り物 (もしくは記念品とか)」 くらいの意味だと思われます。collective は組織とか会社などを表しています。学校の 「卒業記念品」 みたいなものを想像するとよいのではないかと思います。その女性はそういった 「思い出の品」 のようなものが与えられるだろうと期待していたのでしょう。

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

関連するQ&A

• on her own terms

Hoarding is a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder, and it's something she needs to seek help for on her own terms. ここでのon her own termsは辞書にあるような意味とは違うと思うのですが、どのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• gift grab

Our daughter's classmate has a July birthday. Her parents always organize a birthday party for her shortly after school is in session, when all of her friends are around. The invitations never state to not bring a gift. My take is that this is nothing more than a gift grab for their daughter to maximize what she gets. gift grabとは何でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• wired her the money

I am a struggling student who works full time. My sister called begging me for $500 for rent and that she was on the verge of being kicked out. I stupidly wired her the money. It was a lie. Her idiotic dog got out (again) and hit by a car and needed medical attention and she posted about it on social media. I called her on it, and she confessed, saying I wouldn’t give her the money otherwise. The money I sent her was all my savings, my grocery money for two weeks, and leftover birthday money. I lost it. I screamed at her and called a selfish little bitch. She cared more about this stupid dog than her own sister. I am barely keeping my own head above water as is. wired her the moneyの意味を簡単に説明してください。あと、I am barely keeping my own head above water as is. の意味も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• I understand she don't stole it............

外国人の友達に話したいことがあり、訳がわからない箇所があります。教えてくださいお願いします 1 私は仕方ないと彼女を許したのに。彼女は古くからの友達だから盗むことなんてしないことぐらい分かっている。ましてや彼女の子供を疑うなんてしない。(彼女がうちの子が盗んだと思ってるの?とキレてきたので) You know I did forgive her that lost my necless, I DON'T suspect that she stole it. mush less dont suspect to her kids. I know she don't person who is stealing something. I trust in her. 2 でも、彼女は私の言葉を聞こうとしない。勘違いしてヒステリックになって私に怒った。おかしいよね?(ネックレスを)なくしたのは彼女だよ!!?なんで私が彼女から怒られるの? 彼女の性格にはあきれた。 but she dont hear me and she beeing histeric and mad at me. its funny. why am I got angry for her!? who is it to lost?? thats her. Im too shocked to her.

• had her pick of colleges

My daughter “Sarah” is 21. She did extremely well in high school and had her pick of colleges. She chose to attend a great college about two hours from home. had her pick of collegesはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• ask for her company

"Must you wear those glasses?"  "Well, yes. The glare."  "The wearing of dark glasses," she said, "is a modern psychological phenomenon. It signifies the trend towards impersonalization, the weapon of the modern Inquisitor, it--"  "There's a lot in what you say." But I did not remove my glasses, for I had not asked for her company in the first place, and there is a limit to what one can listen to with the naked eye. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 (二人の女性が湖に歩いて来たところです) I had not asked for her company in the first placeの部分なのですが、 ここは、 私は第一に彼女に同伴することを求めなかった、でしょうか?(companyは動詞) それとも 私は第一に彼女の仲間(になること)を(自分自身に)求めなかった、でしょうか?(companyは名詞) どちらにもとれるのでしょうか? その場合は文脈から判断するのでしょうか? 前文は Coming to the edge of the lake we paused to look at our reflections in the water. It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. She had not stopped talking.  I put on my dark glasses to shield my eyes from the sun and conceal my recognition from her eyes.  "Am I boring you?" she said.  "No, not a bit, Dr Gray."  "Sure?"  It is discouraging to put on sun-glasses in the middle of someone's intimate story. But they were necessary, now that I had recognized her, and was excited, and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment. となっています。(前文の冒頭が物語の出だしになっています) 教えてください。お願い致します。

• her flight

NHKからの抜粋です South Korea's transport ministry says it will refer a former Korean Air vice-president to prosecutors for her outburst over how nuts were served on board and the consequences it led to. Cho Hyun-ah ordered her flight back to a boarding gate when the aircraft was taxiing for takeoff at JFK Airport in New York earlier this month. この文中に2つのherがあります。 (a)her outburst (b)her flight 文法書を読むと、 (1)所有格の意味 (2)主格・目的格関係 (3)起源・著者・作者 (4)性質・特色・対象・目的・用途 (5)長さ・時間・距離・価値・重量 がありました。他にもあるかもしれませんが、(a),(b)について考えると (a)her outburst -> she outbursted ->(2) (b)her flight -> 彼女の飛行? で、(b)については、意味はわかりますが、考えると不思議ですで所有格を使う理由がわかりません。 乗客が彼女(Cho Hyun-ah)一人だけなら(1)を活用して良いと思います。 いくら副社長(辞職したそうですが)でも、航空機は彼女の所有物では無いし、飛行自体を所有できないと思います。彼女の操縦でもありません。 面倒でも、「その旅客機には彼女が客として搭乗していた」と背景を説明すべきかと感じます。ニュースだし。 どうでしょうか。 全文です: S.Korea refers 'nut rage' case to prosecutors Dec.16, 2014 - Updated 06:40 UTC South Korea's transport ministry says it will refer a former Korean Air vice-president to prosecutors for her outburst over how nuts were served on board and the consequences it led to. Cho Hyun-ah ordered her flight back to a boarding gate when the aircraft was taxiing for takeoff at JFK Airport in New York earlier this month. The executive, then in charge of cabin service, was angered when she was served nuts in a bag and not on a plate in first class. She claimed the service breached protocol and ordered the cabin crew chief to disembark. Transport ministry officials told reporters on Tuesday that Cho may have violated the aviation safety law, which requires the cooperation of passengers to ensure safe operation of the flight. Cho's loud voice reprimanding the crew is said to have been heard even in economy class. The ministry says it will entrust the prosecutors to look into whether she used physical violence against crew members. Transport ministry officials also said they plan to impose administrative punishment against the airline, possibly in the form of suspended operations or fines.

• 英文和訳をお願いします。

以下はある映画の結末についてのネイティヴ?のコメントですが、私の英語力では把握しきれません。分かりやすく訳していただけませんでしょうか。 When Amy dives in to rescue Dan, her real world experience gets mixed up with her memories and phobias about the past, where her Dad drowned and she was unable to pull him out of the water. We see her struggle with Dan, but they are appearing to sink lower and lower into the sea. Amy refuses to let Dan go as she let her father go, so she simply doesn't give up. It's all tied into her deep trauma. She drowns with Dan. Then we see the sailor circling the boat, the baby crying, and no one else in sight. All the adults have died. Then finally, the movie cuts to Amy, who can hear her baby off in the distance. She looks down to the deck, and it is her father that is laying in his front, "rescued" finally once and for all by his daughter. "Rescued" in heaven, that is. Amy has died and wherever or whatever she now is, she's finally reunited with her father and has managed to do what she has spent her entire life wishing she could have done - she has pulled him from the sea. But sadly yes, she's dead. She didn't pull Dan out of the sea, he and she both drowned in the real world. It's supposed to be a sort of spiritual, transcendent ending like Silent Hill or Solaris. I don't know why people don't get this ending. The body is too old to be Dan, with greyish hair and the same marks on his back as Amy's father in the earlier scene where we see him drown.

• 英文が正しいか教えてください。

英文が正しいかどうか教えてください。 First, I talk about my friends. We can meet new person in school. And we can favor them. I didn’t know anybody when I went to high school at first time. I wanted to make friends. So I was speaking her who next to me sat down. Now we are friends. But we don’t always talk. Then I thought her who is very kind by external appearances. Of course, she is kind. But rather than she is very cheer up. I can’t know she is very cheer up only external appearances. I know that I talked to her a lot of things. Then I judge a person by external appearances. But, the fact, she is very cheer up. この初めの文のfirstは、firstよりもfirstlyの方がいいのでしょうか? 違いがあれば、教えてください。 あと、訂正などあれば教えてほしいです。

• 添削お願いします

The author, XX, is an Arab Muslim woman who her mother is Cuba and her father is Iraqi. She found it is difficult for people who meet her to understand her identity. 「筆者のXXはイスラム教徒の女性で、父親がイラク人で母がキューバ人である。彼女は、出会う多くの人が、彼女のアイデンティティを理解するのが困難であることを発見しました。」 こちらの英文を添削して欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。