The Dark Glassesからの英文を要約

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 15歳の主人公がSimmonds家の裏路地を散歩している途中、雨が降り出した。彼女は内部オフィスの汚れた窓の近くに成長している木の下に避難できることに気付いた。彼女は窓の上に立ち上がり、机に座っている人の姿を見分けることができた。
  • The Dark Glassesの物語の中で、主人公はSimmonds家の裏路地を散歩している途中に突然の雨に遭遇します。彼女は近くにある木の下で避難することができることに気付き、内部オフィスの窓から中の様子を眺めます。窓の上に立ち上がり、机に座っている人の姿を見ることができました。
  • Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesという物語では、15歳の主人公がSimmonds家の裏路地を散歩している途中に突然の雨に見舞われます。彼女は近くにある木の下で避難することができることに気付き、内部オフィスの窓から中の様子を覗き見ます。窓の上に立ち上がり、机に座っている人の姿を確認することができました。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

I took walks before supper round the back lanes, ambling right round the Simmondses' house, thinking of what was going on inside. One dusky time it started to rain heavily, and I found I could reasonably take shelter under the tree which grew quite close to the grimy window of the inner office. I could just see over the ledge and make out a shape of a person sitting at the desk. Soon, I thought, the shape will have to put on the light. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Mr Simmondsは検眼士です。 ------------------------------------------- couldについて教えてください。 I found I could reasonably take shelter under the tree which grew quite close to the grimy window of the inner office.のcouldは仮定法(判断、できるだろう)の意味で、 I could just see over the ledge and make out a shape of a person sitting at the desk.のcouldは直接法過去(能力として、することができた)の意味になりますか? 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> I found I could reasonably take shelter under the tree which grew quite close to the grimy window of the inner office.  この could は仮定法ではないように思えます。I found where I could ... と見て、can の過去形であってもおかしいことはないです。grew は grow の過去形で 「木が生えていた」 だから、「何とか雨をしのげるほどの木の下に雨宿りしたが、その木は店の事務所の汚い窓に近いところに生えていた」 と読めます。 > I could just see over the ledge and make out a shape of a person sitting at the desk.  ここの could も同じです。「その窓の出っ張りの向う側に、デスクに坐っている人影を認めることができた」 という文だと解釈できるように思います。

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

I found~と出だしがなっていたので、couldは「(もし雨宿りしようとするなら)雨宿りできるだろう(仮定法の判断)」となり、そのことを私は見出した、と読むのかと思ったのですが、canの過去形として読むといういうことですね。 ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (1)

• sknuuu
  • ベストアンサー率43% (408/934)
回答No.2

文の流れからして、一つ目の could と、二つ目の could が違うものとは思えません そして、I FOUND I could ... ですから、仮定的な「~だろう」的なあいまいなことを found するというのはなんか変な感じがします 単に can の過去でいいと思います 実は違うところに目がいっていて Soon, I thought, the shape will have to put on the light. の will です 文法的に言えば would でしょう でも will を使ってます(原文そのままで質問の際に打ち込みを誤ってなければ...) ここで現在形を使っているということによって、the shape will have to put on the light はその時点での登場人物の意識をそのまま写したような効果があって新鮮だなぁと思いました(よくある手法なんですが) (あくまで原文そのままという前提ですが) (質問と関係ない内容、失礼しました)

aduagrean
質問者

お礼

両方のcouldは単にcanの過去形でいいのですね。 Soon, I thought, the shape will have to put on the light. の個所は、私もwillはwouldでは?と思ったのですが、意味がとれたので敢えて質問しませんでした。 よくある手法ということですが、その時点での登場人物の意識をそのまま写したような効果を出している、という風に読めるわけですね。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• The Dark Glasses~(続きです)

After five minutes' long waiting time the shape arose and switched on the light by the door. It was Basil, suddenly looking pink-haired. As he returned to the desk he stooped and took from the safe a sheaf of papers held in the teeth of a large paper clip. I knew he was going to select one sheet of paper from the sheaf, and that this one document would be the exciting, important one. It was like reading a familiar book: one knew what was coming, but couldn't bear to miss a word. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Basilは検眼士です。 -------------------------------------------------------------------- It was like reading a familiar book: one knew what was coming, but couldn't bear to miss a word. ここのbearは”生む”という意味にとるのでしょうか? Basilが今からやろうとしている展開は、主人公には読めるのだけれども、 but couldn't bear to miss a word・・・ここのニュアンスが掴めそうでうまく掴めないのですが、しっかり状況を見ていたい、みたいな感じでしょうか? 前文は I took walks before supper round the back lanes, ambling right round the Simmondses' house, thinking of what was going on inside. One dusky time it started to rain heavily, and I found I could reasonably take shelter under the tree which grew quite close to the grimy window of the inner office. I could just see over the ledge and make out a shape of a person sitting at the desk. Soon, I thought, the shape will have to put on the light. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

For the rest of the holidays I thought of him as "Basil", and by asking questions and taking more interest than usual in the conversation around me I formed an idea of his private life. "Dorothy," I speculated, "and Basil." I let my mind dwell on them until I saw a picture of the rooms above the shop. I hung round at tea-time and, in order to bring the conversation round to Dorothy and Basil, told our visitors I had been to get my eyes tested. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Basilは検眼士です。(DorothyはBasilの姉です) 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 ----------------------------------- ●I let my mind dwell on them until I saw a picture of the rooms above the shop.のsaw(see)は「・・・を心に描く」「・・・を想像する」の意味だと思うのですが、imagineとはどのような違いがあるのでしょうか? ●I hung round at tea-time and, in order to bring the conversation round to Dorothy and Basil, told our visitors I had been to get my eyes tested.の I had been to get my eyes testedは、「検眼をする予定だった」と読むのでしょうか? be動詞+to不定詞は「予定」の意味ですか? (なんとなく、すでに検眼を終えてきているので、I had got my eyes testedとしてもいいような気がするのですが。) 前文は She looked at me, then returned to attend to the person in the shop, leaving the intervening door wide open. She was back again almost immediately. My examination was soon over. Mr Simmonds saw me out at the front door and gave me pleading unhappy look. I felt like a traitor and I considered him horrible. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

Then he took up the pen. I can still smell the rain and hear it thundering about me, and feel it dripping on my head from the bough hanging above me. He raised his eyes and looked out at the rain. It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station between the tree and the window. I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain. Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he me, for it was growing dark. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 he=検眼士です。 窓の外から主人公が検眼士の様子を窺っている場面です。 ------------------------------------------ ●It seemed his eyes rested on me, at my station ~・・・ここのmy stationとはどういう意味ですか? ●I kept still and close to the tree like a hunted piece of nature, willing myself to be the colour of bark and leaves and rain.について a hunted piece of natureとはどういう意味ですか? ●Then I realized how much more clearly I could see him than he meについて he meのつながりがわかりません。どう読むのでしょうか? 前文は He did extract one long sheet of paper, and held it up. It was typewritten with a paragraph in handwriting at the bottom on the side visible from the window. He laid it side by side with another sheet of paper which was lying on the desk. I pressed close up to the window, intending to wave and smile if I was seen, and to call out that I was sheltering from the rain which was now coming down in thumps. But he kept his eyes on the two sheets of paper. There were other papers lying about the desk; I could not see what was on them. But I was quite convinced that he had been practising handwriting on them, and that he was in the process of forging his mother's will. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

He did extract one long sheet of paper, and held it up. It was typewritten with a paragraph in handwriting at the bottom on the side visible from the window. He laid it side by side with another sheet of paper which was lying on the desk. I pressed close up to the window, intending to wave and smile if I was seen, and to call out that I was sheltering from the rain which was now coming down in thumps. But he kept his eyes on the two sheets of paper. There were other papers lying about the desk; I could not see what was on them. But I was quite convinced that he had been practising handwriting on them, and that he was in the process of forging his mother's will. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 he=検眼士です。 窓の外から主人公が検眼士の様子を窺っている場面です。 --------------------------------------------------- ●I could not see what was on them.について ここの訳は、”私は紙の上に何が書かれているのか見ることができなかった” ですか? what was on themのところがよくわからないのですが。 ●I pressed close up to the window, intending to wave and smile if I was seen, and to call out that I was sheltering from the rain which was now coming down in thumps.について to call out that I was sheltering from ~の部分はintending toにつながるのでしょうか? call out that~は、that以下を叫ぶ、という意味ですか? 前文は After five minutes' long waiting time the shape arose and switched on the light by the door. It was Basil, suddenly looking pink-haired. As he returned to the desk he stooped and took from the safe a sheaf of papers held in the teeth of a large paper clip. I knew he was going to select one sheet of paper from the sheaf, and that this one document would be the exciting, important one. It was like reading a familiar book: one knew what was coming, but couldn't bear to miss a word. となっています。 教えてください。宜しくお願いします。

"That seems to be all right," Mr Simmonds said. "But wait a moment." He produced some coloured slides with lettering on them. Miss Simmonds gave me what appeared to be a triumphant one-eyed leer, and as one who washes her hands of a person, started to climb the stairs. Plainly, she knew I had lost my attraction for her brother. But before she turned the bend in the stairs she stooped and came down again. She went to a row of shelves and shifted some bottles. I read on. She interrupted: "My eye-drops, Basil. I made them up this morning. Where are they?" Mr Simmonds was suddenly watching her as if something inconceivable was happening. "Wait, Dorothy. Wait till I've tested the girl's eyes." She had lifted down a small brown bottle. "I want my eye-drops. I wish you wouldn't displace--Are these they?" I noted her correct phrase, "Are these they?" and it seemed just over the border of correctness. Perhaps, after all, this brother and sister were strange, vicious, in the wrong. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 主人公は15歳ぐらいの女の子です。 Basil=検眼士です。 Dorothyは検眼士の姉です。 主人公が検眼のためにBasilの店を訪れている場面です。 ---------------------------------------------------------- ●Miss Simmonds gave me what appeared to be a triumphant one-eyed leer, and as one who washes her hands of a person, started to climb the stairs.のone who washes her hands of a personとはどういう意味ですか? ●最後の行の方にあるit seemed just over the border of correctness.とはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? (itはAre these they?のセリフの部分を指していると思うのですが、それがどうしてjust over the border of correctnessと思われたのかわかりません) ●一番最後に主人公が2人の姉弟に対してPerhaps, after all, this brother and sister were strange, vicious, in the wrong.と思っているのですが、この根拠がよくわかりません。 小説を前から読んでいないと大変わかりにくいかと思いますが、教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 前文は Dorothy was beside us in no time. She peered one-eyed at the glasses, then at me. "Are you constipated?" she said. I maintained silence. But I felt she was seeing everything through her green glasses. "Put them on," Dorothy said. "Try them on," said Basil. They were ganged up together. Everything was going wrong, for I had come here to see how matters stood between them after the affair of the will. Basil gave me something to read. "It's all right now," I said, "but it was all a blur when I tried to read this morning." "Better take a dose," Dorothy said. I wanted to get out of the shop with my glasses as quickly as possible, but the brother said, "I'd better test your eyes again while you're here just to make sure." He seemed quite normal. I followed him into the dark interior. Dorothy switched on the light. They both seemed normal. The scene in the little office last night began to lose its conviction. As I read out the letters on the card in front of me I was thinking of Basil as "Mr Simmonds" and Dorothy as "Miss Simmonds", and feared their authority, and was in the wrong. となっています。

I had seen Miss Simmonds once before, at a garden fete, where she stood on a platform in a big hat and blue dress, and sang "Sometimes between long shadows on the grass", while I picked up windfall apples, all of which seemed to be rotten. Now in her white overall she turned and gave me a hostile look, as if I had been seducing her brother. I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air. ここの、 I felt sexually in the wrongとはどういう意味合いですか? in the wrongとはどういうことを言いたかったのでしょうか? (主人公の女の子は何も悪くはないと思うのですが) また、 and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air.の個所の with a wide-eyed airという表現は(主人公の状態として)どんなことを表しているのでしょうか? 小説なので書いている表現を読み取るのが難しいのですが 教えていただけると幸いです。 前文は I was sent to have my eyes tested. He took me into the darkened interior and said, "Sit down, dear." He put his arm round my shoulder. His forefinger moved up and down on my neck. I was thirteen and didn't like to be rude to him. Dorothy Simmonds, his sister, came downstairs just then; she came upon us silently and dressed in a white overall. Before she had crossed the room to switch on a dim light Mr Simmonds removed his arm from my shoulder with such a jerk that I knew for certain he had not placed it there in innocence. となっています。 (お手数をおかけしてしまってすみません) he(Mr Simmonds)=検眼士です。 宜しくお願いします。

"Can you read?" said Mr Simmonds.   I stopped looking round. I said, "Read what?"--for I had been told I would be asked to read row after row of letters. The card which hung beneath the dim light showed pictures of trains and animals.   "Because if you can't read we have pictures for illiterates."  This was Mr Simmonds' joke. I giggled. His sister smiled and dabbed her right eye with her handkerchief. She had been to London for an operation on her right eye.  I recall reading the letters correctly down to the last few lines, which were too small. I recall Mr Simmonds squeezing my arm as I left the shop, turning his sandy freckled face in a backward glance to see for certain that his sister was not watching. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 Mr Simmonds=検眼士です。 ーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーーー ●row after row of lettersのところはどうやって読むのでしょうか? ●Mr Simmonds' jokeというのは、主人公の女の子が字が読めないなら、と言って(検眼のときに)文字ではなく絵を見せたことですか? 前文は I had seen Miss Simmonds once before, at a garden fete, where she stood on a platform in a big hat and blue dress, and sang "Sometimes between long shadows on the grass", while I picked up windfall apples, all of which seemed to be rotten. Now in her white overall she turned and gave me a hostile look, as if I had been seducing her brother. I felt sexually in the wrong, and started looking round the dark room with a wide-eyed air. となっています。 宜しくお願いします。

• The Dark Glassesから

Coming to the edge of the lake we paused to look at our reflections in the water. It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. She had not stopped talking.  I put on my dark glasses to shield my eyes from the sun and conceal my recognition from her eyes.  "Am I boring you?" she said.  "No, not a bit, Dr Gray."  "Sure?"  It is discouraging to put on sun-glasses in the middle of someone's intimate story. But they were necessary, now that I had recognized her, and was excited, and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 ●It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. her faceは I recognized her face looking up from the lakeという繋がりですか? ●and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment. ここの意味がよくわかりません。 隠蔽のポイントから彼女が言う必要があることを見事に聞くことができるだけでした? どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? from a point of concealmentは直前のsayにかかるのでしょうか? それともhearですか? 教えてください。お願いいたします。

"I took up psychology during the war. Up till then I was in general practice." I had come to the summer school to lecture on history and she on psychology. Psychiatrists are very often ready to talk to strangers about their inmost lives. This is probably because they spend so much time hearing out their patients. I did not recognize Dr Gray, except as a type, when I had attended her first lecture on "the psychic manifestations of sex." She spoke of child-poltergeists, and I was bored, and took refuge in observing the curious language of her profession. I noticed the word "arousement". "Adolescents in a state of sexual arousement," she said, "may become possessed of almost psychic insight." Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 過去の回想シーンが続いていましたが、ここから現代に戻ります。 主人公とDr Grayが湖の近くを一緒に歩いて話しています。 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ● I did not recognize Dr Gray, except as a typeの個所はどういう意味でしょうか? typeは典型ですか? 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 以下は物語の冒頭の部分です。この場面に戻ってきています。 Coming to the edge of the lake we paused to look at our reflections in the water. It was then I recognized her from the past, her face looking up from the lake. She had not stopped talking.  I put on my dark glasses to shield my eyes from the sun and conceal my recognition from her eyes.  "Am I boring you?" she said.  "No, not a bit, Dr Gray."  "Sure?"  It is discouraging to put on sun-glasses in the middle of someone's intimate story. But they were necessary, now that I had recognized her, and was excited, and could only honourably hear what she had to say from a point of concealment.

After lunch, since the Eng. Lit. people had gone off to play tennis, she tacked on to me and we walked to the lake across the lawns, past the rhododendrons. This lake had once been the scene of a love-mad duchess's death. ".....during the war. Before that I was in general practice. It's strange," she said, "how I came to take up psychology. My second husband had a breakdown and was under a psychiatrist. Of course, he's incurable, but I decided.... It's strange, but that's how I came to take it up. It saved my reason. My husband is still in a home. His sister, of course, became quite incurable. He has his lucid moments. I did not realize it, of course, when I married, but there was what I'd now call an oedipus-transference on his part, and..." How tedious I found these phrases! We had come to the lake. I stooped over it and myself looked back at myself through the dark water. I looked at Dr Gray's reflection and recognized her. I put on my dark glasses, then. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 過去の回想シーンから現代に戻って、主人公とDr Grayが湖の近くを一緒に歩きながら話している場面です。 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ●It's strange, " she said, "how I came to take up psychology.と It's strange, but that's how I came to take it up.の中に I came to take up psychologyと I came to take it upがありますが、前者はtake up psychologyとtake upが繋がっているのに、何故後者は take it upのように、take とupの間にitが入るのでしょうか? 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。 前文は "I took up psychology during the war. Up till then I was in general practice." I had come to the summer school to lecture on history and she on psychology. Psychiatrists are very often ready to talk to strangers about their inmost lives. This is probably because they spend so much time hearing out their patients. I did not recognize Dr Gray, except as a type, when I had attended her first lecture on "the psychic manifestations of sex." She spoke of child-poltergeists, and I was bored, and took refuge in observing the curious language of her profession. I noticed the word "arousement". "Adolescents in a state of sexual arousement," she said, "may become possessed of almost psychic insight." となっています。