• ベストアンサー

otherwiseの使い方

Sound adds an amazing dimension to games. Even the simplest sound can bring an otherwise dull game to life. この文の訳し方を知りたいです。 後半の文章のotherwiseの使い方がいまいちわからないのが問題だと思うので、 どのような使い方がされているか教えてください。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sknuuu
  • ベストアンサー率43% (408/934)
回答No.1

otherwise というのは前述して(された)ものと対比して、「そうでなければ~となるであろう」とか、「そうでなければ~なるに違いない」というニュアンスで、otherwiseに続く言葉につながります この文の場合は、「そうでなければdull になるであろうgame を活気づける」という意味 "そうでなければ"というのは、Without the simplest sound, a game could be dull. というこです 言い換えれば、Even the simplest sound makes a dull game active (or, lively or interesting).

500cii
質問者

お礼

otherwiseのわかりやすい説明ありがとうございます。 なんとなく、そうじゃないかなと思っていましたが、確信が持ててよかったです。

その他の回答 (1)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.2

音は、ゲームに驚くべき次元を加える。最も単純な音でも「音が無かったら」つまらないゲームに活気を吹き込む。  と言った事でしょう、前の文から、後ろへ、意味を投影して行くと、後の文だけで意味を取ろうとするより樂です。

500cii
質問者

お礼

訳をありがとうございます。 自分がbring ~ to lifeの訳を間違えていることに気づきました。 ~をlifeに持っていくのだから、生活にdull gameをもたらしてしまうという 訳だと勘違いしていました。

関連するQ&A

• To hold otherwise ~ について

In any matter of which the public has imperfect knowledge, public opinion is as likely to be erroneous as is the opinion of an individual equally uninformed. To hold otherwise is to hold that wisdom can be got by combining many ignorances. この英文のTo hold otherwise is to hold that wisdom can be got by combining many ignorances.は、 "To hold otherwise "は"to hold that wisdom~である"と言っていると思うのですが、 (前文から続くと思われる)otherwiseの意味の取り方がわかりにくいです。 解説をよろしくお願いいたします。

• ...end to an otherwise.. のtoについて

The 29-year-old Inoue announced the end of his career after failing to make the Japan team for August's Olympic Games in Beijing. It was an ignominious end to an otherwise glittering career that has been wracked by inguries in recent years. 二文めにある 'to'を文法的にどう解釈して一文全体の意味を理解すればよいかわかりません。 区切りをつけて訳してみました。↓ It was an ignominious end /不名誉で終わった to an otherwise glittering career/輝かしいキャリアの一方で that has been wracked /それは苦しめられた by injuries in recent years./近年けがによって 言いたい意味はわかるのですが、この場合の to とは文保的にどう説明できるのでしょうか。 to an oherwiseで慣用表現だったりするのでしょうか。 それとも end to で決まりきった表現があるのでしょうか。 他に、類似するような例文をありましたら、それも併せて、回答していただけると大変たすかります。 よろしくお願いします。

• これはどういう意味ですか?

これはどういう意味ですか? A hole in one can be such an expensive ambition to realize that insurance companies even offer cover against the expenses.

• The videogames 2D future?

Is it true, that all arcade games can go from 2D game mechanics to another 3D if the artists and programmers know that things change, and what things do not?

• 【至急】和訳お願いします

急ぎなのですが、どなたかしたの文章を訳してください! よろしくお願いします…。 I always laugh when I see students slumped in the back of the lecture hall. They would be surprised if they realized how well I can see them. Although I tell my students that American professors rarely look at the front rows, they never seem to believe me. The myth of back-row anonymity lives on, despite my attempts to make students understand a professor's sense of space. My grandmother used to tell my sister and me that variety- even when we don't like it - adds spice to life! If we keep an open mind, all these fascinating and frustrating cultural differences will enrich our lives. *back-row anonymity…後の席は目立たない(注目されない)こと *variety...adds spice to life!…<諺>変化が人生に味わい(楽しみ)をそえる です。よろしくお願いします!

• 添削お願いします。

What I like to do in my free time というタイトルです。 I play TV games in my free time. Among the games I like a video soccer game. I sometimes go to the movies. This is because I love movies. I can learn various things from amovies. Therefore,I often go to movie theaters.

• 訳してください

以下の文章を訳してください                   We're Sorry! Your data indicate that you are prevented from watching this game LIVE due to local live broadcast restrictions. Please try an MLB.TV game that doesn't include this team. In addition, during national TV broadcasts, fans in the US, Japan, US Virgin Isls, Guam and S. Korea are blacked out. These games are indicated on the schedule with a grey icon: If you still feel you have been restricted in error, please call our Customer Support team at 1-866-800-1275. MLB.TV Full Game Replays are available to subscribers without blackout restrictions shortly after games are over. If you prefer, you can listen to this game live with GAMEDAY AUDIO.

• 以下の二文が分からないので教えて頂けないでしょうか

申し訳ございませんが、以下の2つの英文の意味が理解出来ないでおります。 アドバイスを頂けないでしょうか? 1. We might even get some rain. 雨も降るかもしれないね。 We can sure use it. 雨が降るとありがたいわ。 のWe can sure use it.の意味が分かりません。 canが可能性、sureが確信、雨をuse it??? って感じでサッパリです。 2. Did you happen to bring the handouts with you? 資料を持ってきた? ですが、happen toの意味が分かりません。 「偶然~する」というような意味ではこの文章は理解できないと思います。 この場合のhappen toはどのように考えればよいのでしょうか? 以上2点宜しくお願い致します。

• 主格主語、形式主語、無生物主語??

少し頭がパニックになってるので教えて下さいませm(_ _)m TV games are popular with both children and adults. Role-playing games where the player can become completely involved are the popularkind of game. They can be good way to relax,have fun and forge about your problems. この文章はロールプレイングゲームを客観的に説明した無生物主語の文章だとおもうんですが、 They can be の ゛They゛ ゛これら゛は、代名詞Itの複数形とゆうことは分かるんですが、コレは主格主語なので形式主語としてItを使ったら文法上バツになりますか? That Those などの指定代名詞では、置き換えることは出来ませんよね?

• 和訳をお願いします!

Time spent in a bookshop can be most enjoyable, whether you are a book-lover or merely there to buy a book as a present. You may even have entered the shop just to find shelter from a sudden shower. 2(Whatever the reason), you can soon become totally unaware of your surroundings. The desire to pick up a book with an attractive book jacket is irresistible, although this method of selection ought not to followed, as you might end up with a rather dull book. かっこ2と同じ内容になるように空所に適当な語を入れてください。 No matter () the reason may (). 宜しくお願いします!