• 締切済み

suicide attemptsとは?

There are said to be 18 suicide attempts a day among veterans in America, hundreds each month – handling the realities of being forgotten at home is tough. 上の文の訳をお願いします。 特にsuicide attemptsが辞書を見ても分かりませんでした。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数0

みんなの回答

• litsa1234
  • ベストアンサー率28% (230/795)
回答No.3

>特にsuicide attemptsが辞書を見ても分かりませんでした。 「自殺企図, 自殺未遂」(http://ejje.weblio.jp/content/suicide+attempt)と出ていますね。 この問題はそれで問題ないのですが、あなたの別の質問についてこの場所をお借りして回答させていただきたいと思います。 ___________________________________________ A couple does not have to argue for there to be problems. 「言い争っていない夫婦も問題を抱えていることがある」 上の文ですが、文法的にどのように解釈するのか分かりません。 A couple does not have to argue までで、SVの第一文型で、 残りは副詞句ですが、forが前置詞なのか副詞なのかが分かりませんし、 there to be problemsという箇所につきましては今まで見たことがなく解釈できません。 ___________________________________________ 先ず意味ですが、「言い争っていない夫婦も問題を抱えていることがある」は誤訳です。 「夫婦というものは、問題を抱えていることについて議論する必要がないのである。」→「夫婦は議論するまでもなく何らかの問題を抱えているものなんです。」ということですよ。 また、「for there to be problems」(名詞句)=「that there are problems」(名詞節)ということで、句と節の書き換え問題に昔はよく使われていましたよ。 以上、ご考慮願えれば幸いに思います。

• Him-hymn
  • ベストアンサー率66% (3489/5257)
回答No.2

アメリカの退役軍人の間で、日に18回、月に換算して数百件の自殺未遂があると言われるーーアメリカで忘れさられているという現実に立ち向かうのは過酷なことである。 attemptは実際にやってみるということで、自殺を実際にやってみることから、自殺未遂という意味になります。 以上、ご参考になればと思います。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

特にsuicide attemptsが辞書を見ても分かりませんでした。     これは下記のように、「自殺する試み」 > 自殺未遂のことです。 http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=suicide+attempt      アメリカにおける元軍人の自殺未遂は、一日に18件、毎月数百件にのぼる、といわれ、すなわち家庭(自国、家)に帰ったあと忘れられてしまうという現実への対処が難しい(事を示している)、

関連するQ&A

• 英文を訳したいのですが、、、

There is also much to be said for the self-confidence that comes from being able to appear on stage in front of hundreds of people. という英文で、訳は「何百人もの人々の前で舞台に上がることができるということから生まれる自信にも、多くの利点がある」だそうです。 なんとなくそんな風になるのはわかるのですが、" to be said for"の部分が、訳の中でどんな役割を果たしているのかがイマイチわかりません。 どなたか、よろしくお願いします。

• 英語(MADAME DOUBTFIRE)の小説の途中です。英語に詳しい

英語(MADAME DOUBTFIRE)の小説の途中です。英語に詳しい方和訳のほどお願いいたします。 Lydia and Christopher looked at each other quickly. They already knew what the letter said. Then the warm smell of cooking reached them from the oven. “The bread!” said Daniel. “Are you ready to eat?” The three children suddenly became alive. Lydia moved her father’s papers from the table top. Christopher looked for clean plates, knives and spoons for each person. Natalie went to bring glasses and bottle of milk. Daniel took the hot bread out of the oven and put it on a dish. It lay there for a minute, big and round; then suddenly it got much smaller. “What a pity!” said Natalie sadly. “Mum says that often happens if you cook it too long,” said Lydia. But Daniel didn’t agree. “I didn’t cook it too long,” he told them. “It waited too long. Like me, it had to wait forty minutes until your mother was ready to bring you here.” This annoyed Lydia. “It isn’t very easy for her, you know, being a single parent,” she said. “You don’t need to tell me that,” said Daniel. “I’m a single parent too. Your mother has the three of you with her for most of the week but I don’t. Now I’ve lost forty minutes of the very short time I have with you, just because she can’t be here on time and doesn’t worry about my feelings.” Picking up a big kitchen knife, Daniel pretended to cut the teapot’s throat. Christopher watched with a bored face but Natalie was ready to start crying again. “Oh, please stop being so stupid, Dad,” said Lydia, annoyed. “Natty’s going to cry again. You tell us not to do it and then you do just the same.” She turned to her sister. “Stop being a baby, Natty. He hasn’t hurt the teapot. Or Mum. He can’t control himself. You just have to learn not to notice.” “I promise you I’ll be better in future,” said Daniel quickly. “When your mother brings you on Friday, I’ll be perfect – wait and see.”

• 次の英文の和訳をお願いします。

“Unlike previous investigations, we were able to assess association of consumption of caffeinated and non-caffeinated beverages, and we identify caffeine as the most likely candidate of any putative protective effect of coffee,” said lead researcher Michel Lucas, research fellow in the Department of Nutrition at HSPH. The authors reviewed data from three large U.S. studies and found that the risk of suicide for adults who drank two to four cups of caffeinated coffee per day was about half that of those who drank decaffeinated coffee or very little or no coffee. Caffeine not only stimulates the central nervous system but may act as a mild antidepressant by boosting production of certain neurotransmitters in the brain, including serotonin, dopamine, and noradrenaline. This could explain the lower risk of depression among coffee drinkers that had been found in past epidemiological studies, the researchers reported. In the new study, researchers examined data on 43,599 men enrolled in the Health Professionals Follow-Up Study (HPFS) (1988–2008), 73,820 women in the Nurses’ Health Study (NHS) (1992–2008), and 91,005 women in the Nurses’ Health Study II (NHSII) (1993–2007). Caffeine, coffee, and decaffeinated coffee intake was assessed every four years by questionnaires. Caffeine consumption was calculated from coffee and other sources, including tea, caffeinated soft drinks, and chocolate. However, coffee was the major caffeine source — 80 percent for NHS, 71 percent for NHS II, and 79 percent for HPFS. Among the participants in the three studies, there were 277 deaths from suicide. In spite of the findings, the authors do not recommend that depressed adults increase caffeine consumption, because most individuals adjust their caffeine intake to an optimal level for them and an increase could result in unpleasant side effects. “Overall, our results suggest that there is little further benefit for consumption above two to three cups/day or 400 mg of caffeine/day,” the authors wrote. The researchers did not observe any major difference in risk between those who drank two to three cups of coffee per day and those who had four or more cups a day, most likely due to the small number of suicide cases in these categories. However, in a previous HSPH coffee-depression study published in JAMA Internal Medicine, the investigators observed a maximal effect among those who drank four or more cups per day. One large Finnish study showed a higher risk of suicide among people drinking eight or nine cups per day. Few participants in the two HSPH studies drank such large amounts of coffee, so the studies did not address the impact of six or more cups of coffee per day.

• "and"の訳

Women do smile more than men, but when occupying similar work and social roles, the differences in the rate of smiling disappear, a Yale researcher has found.  Also, there are large differences in the degree to which men smile less than women depending on a person’s culture, ethnicity, age, or when people think they are being observed, according to the study funded by the National Science Foundation.  “It would be interesting to look at these data because the wide cultural, ethnic and other differences suggest that the sex difference is not something fixed and impossible to change,” said Marianne LaFrance, professor of psychology at Yale. “This is not determined by the fact of being male or female. Each culture gives men and women rules about appropriate behavior for men and women.” (質問) 上記文章の3段落目のandの訳は「~しながら(それでいて)」でよろしいでしょうか? the sex difference is not something fixed and impossible to change の部分。

• 一橋大学 自由英作文 添削のお願い

一橋大学 自由英作文 添削のお願い 2009年度 (120~150字)                                                                                 条件・ ユーモアのセンスは、人生の中で重要なことである。について述べなさい。                                                                         I agree to this idea. These days, there are many sad accidents such as bullying, suicide,and so on. I think that the one of reasons why these problems happen is a lack of sense of humor. I have an experience supporting my idea. When I was a junior high school student, I had a friend. He was a funny boy and always made me laugh. One day, we had a quarrel and our friendly relationship broke. We couldn't talk each other for a few days. I wanted to say to him "I'm sorry", but I couldn't. After a while, he suddenly came to me and said a funny word to me "How are you". We laught at that word each other and then we could recover our relationship. Thus, I think that a sense of humor make us happy and it will be a good thing for sad accidents. (142字)                                                                        今回は少し難しかったです。ユーモアのことについては考えたことがなかったので・・・。なので文法面はそうですが、今回は文章の組み立て方を中心に添削していただけると助かります。宜しくお願い致します。

• 和訳おねがいします

翻訳機は使わないでください^^; So she said to Tammy, "Why would anyone write about school?" Tommy looked at her. "Because it's not our kind of school, stupid. This is the old kind of school that they had hundreds of years ago." He added, saying the word carefully, " Centuries ago." Margie was hurt. "Well, I don't know what kind of school they had all that time ago." She read the book over his shoulder for a while. Then she said, "Anyway, they had a teacher." "Sure they had a teacher, but it wasn't a regular teacher. It was a man." "A man? How could a man be a teacher?" "Well, he just told the boys and girls things. He gave them homework and asked them questions." "A man isn't smart enough." "Sure he is. My father knows as much as my teacher." "He can't. A man can't know as much as a teacher." "He knows almost as much, I'm sure." Margie wasn't prepared to argue. She said, "I wouldn't want a strange man in my house to teach me." Tommy laughed. 'You don't know much, Margie. The teachers didn't live in the house. They had a special building, and all the kids went there." "And all the kids learned the same thing?' "Sure, if they were the same age." "But my mother says a teacher has to be adjusted to fit the mind of each boy and girl it teaches. Each kid has to be taught in different ways." "Just the same, they didn't do it that way then. If you don't like it, you don't have to read the book." "I didn't say I didn't like it," Margie said quickly. She wanted to read about those funny schools. They weren't even half finished when Margie's mother called, "Margie! School!" Margie looked up. "Not yet, Mama." "Now," said Mrs. Jones. "And it's probably time for Tommy, too." Margie said to Tommy, "Can I read the book some more with you after school?' "Maybe," he said. He walked away whistling, the book under his arm.

• 以下の英文を訳して下さい。

Not only was it problematic finding qualified British officers to command the companies and battalions of the Indian Army, there was also a shortage of trained Indians to be granted a Viceroy's Commission. Viceroy Commissioned Officers occupied a unique position between the junior British officers and the senior non-commissioned officers. During its year in France, the VCO's of the Meerut had also suffered heavy casualties. Prior to the war, when most operations of the Indian Army were along the North-West Frontier, there had never been a need to quickly produce VCOs. Consequently, those who were promoted to the rank of VCO was typically a long service soldier of many years of experience. With the heavy casualties of France, the system had not yet caught up to the realities of the new type of war they were fighting. Confronted with a type of war they had never expected to be a part of, morale among the Indian troops plummeted. As an added insult, when the Meerut and Lahore Divisions were withdrawn from France, they ceased receiving combat pay, even though they were being shipped Egypt, under threat from Ottoman force, and then to Mesopotamia, to actively take part in an offensive.

• 翻訳お願いします

So she said to Tommy , "Why would anyone write about school?" Tommy looked at her. “Because it's not our kind of school , stupid. This is the old kind of school that they had hundreds of years ago. He added , saying the word carefully , “Centuries ago.” Margie was hurt. “Well , I don't know what kind of school they had all that time ago.” She read the book over his shoulder for a while. Then she said , "Anyway , they had a teacher." “Sure they had a teacher , but it wasn't a regular teacher. It was a man” “A man? How could a man be a teacher?” “Well , he just told the boys and girls things. He gave them homework and asked them questions.” “A man isn't smart enough.” “Sure he is. My father knows as much as my teacher.” “He can't. A man can't know as much as a teacher.” “He knows almost as much , I'm sure.” Margie wasn't prepared to argue. She said , "I wouldn't want a strange man in my house to teach me." Tommy laughed. “You don't know much , Margie. The teachers didn't live in the house. They had a special building , and all the kids went there.” “And all the kids learned the same thing?” “Sure , if they were the same age.” “But my mother says a teacher has to be adjusted to fit the mind of each boy and girl it teaches. Each kid has to be taught in different ways.” “Just the same , they didn't do it that way then. If you don't like it , you don't have to read the book.” “I don't say I don't like it , ” Margie said quickly. She wented to read about those funny schools. They weren't even half finished when Margie's mother called , “Margie! School!” Margie looked up. “Not yet , Mama.” “Now,” said Mrs. Jones. “And it's probably time for Tommy , too” Margie said to Tommy , “Can I read the book some more with you after school?” “Maybe,”he said. He walked away whistling , the book under his arm.

• 英語でいくつか質問があります。

英語でいくつか質問があります。 解答がないので、自分の解釈が全然違うところもあるとおもいますが、お願いします。 It seems likely that mutually unintelligible forms of English will increasingly develop as the language is taught and learned in various parts of the world which are isolated from contact with first-language speakers. 「互いに理解できない英語がますます英語として発達していること」が教えられ、学ばれている と解釈してしまったのですが、何かおかしいと思いました・・・。 It is said that the ancient Hindus were the first to believe that when thirteen persons sat together it was unlucky. 最後の「when thirteen persons sat together it was unlucky」の意味がわかりません。 One evening there came to the store a man who had been well-educated, but whose love for drink had brought him to poverty. 「whose」の役割が分かりません。 She was so shy that for a long time I hesitated to tell her what I felt for her. 「what」の意味に確信がもてませんでした。 「何を」と訳すwhatなのか、関係代名詞で「~こと」と訳すwhatなのかが分かりません。見分け方を教えてください。 Cellular phones enable you to make more productive use of your time. 「make」の用法が分かりません。どういう意味でつかわれているんですか? There were only two ways in which people could keep great happenings from being forgotten. 代替の意味は分かるんですが、細かく見ると分からなくなります。 S prevent O from doingの構文なんですが、preventがkeepに変わったのはいいんですが、「could」が入る理由が分かりません。 couldがなければ、「人々によってすばらしい出来事が忘れられない方法はたった2つしかなかった」となると思ったのですが、あっていますか?そして、ここにcouldが入るとどういう意味が加わるのでしょうか? 質問が多いんですが、よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします

大学の予習ですが和訳お願いします。 前回の続きなんですがよろしくお願いします。最後の質問も和訳お願いしたいんですが内容から答えがわかればお答えいただきたいです。 http://okwave.jp/qa/q6777999.html http://okwave.jp/qa/q6754442.html Mr Coleman said: “Zimbabwe now has the highest level of public health worker mobility in Africa. It may well account for the drop in HIV infection rates 〔from 24 per cent three years ago to 16 per cent now, according to World Health Organisation figures〕. there isn't a system like this anywhere. It is simple. It is made for Afirica. This is good news for global health. ” There are 529 Riders for Health motorbikes in the Health Ministry, serving every district. In the whole of last year, thanks to the charity's training programme, the only accidents were two fall-offs with minor injuries; there have been no accidents this year. But economic collapse is now causing the extraordinary achievements of the health system to crumble. Fuel and spare parts have become erratically available and EHTs are losing tough with their villages. “In Makoni district 10 out of 14 EHTs were immobilised for lack of fuel,” Mr Nyamandi said. “More and more motorbikes are breaking down. Now a bike can spend six months without being ridden. “We made big gains in the health system. We have to keep that momentum---the Riders system has to be sustainable.” Questions 1.In the Makoni district, how well does the health system function? 2.What percentage of the ministry's vehicles are managed by Riders for health? 3.What does the health system comprise? 4.In 1998, when Zimbabwe faced the economic crisis, what was done to prevent the health system from collapsing? 5.What influence is the economic collapse in Zimbabwe having on its health system? よろしくお願いします。