• ベストアンサー
  • 困ってます

Global Equalityの記事です。

What the Empire Didn't Hear: US Spying and Resistance in Latin America. 帝国が聞かなかったこと。ラテンアメリカにおける合衆国の諜報と(それに対する?)抵抗。 - という記事の中の文です。 "US imperialism spreads across Latin America through military bases and trade deals, corporate exploitation and debt. 軍事基地、金融取引、大企業の搾取、債務を通して、USの帝国主義はラテンアメリカを席巻している。 そこに続く文、 It also relies on a vast communications surveillance network, the recent uncovering of which laid bare Washington's reach into the region's streets and halls of power. の訳と文の構造がよくわかりません。 どうぞよろしくお願いします。

共感・応援の気持ちを伝えよう!

• 回答数1
  • 閲覧数23
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • 回答No.1
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)

It also relies on a vast communications surveillance network, the recent uncovering of which laid bare Washington's reach into the region's streets and halls of power. = It also relies on a vast communications surveillance network, and the recent uncovering of it (= the vast communications surveillance network) laid bare Washington's reach into the region's streets and halls of power. それ(=米国帝国主義)は巨大な通信監視ネットワークにも依存しているが、最近その通信監視ネットワークが暴露されたことによって、ワシントン(の諜報網)がその地域(ラテンアメリカ)の街角や権力の回廊まで届いていることが明らかになった。 the recent uncovering of which 最近それ(=whichの先行詞であるa vast communications surveillance network)が発見されたこと laid bare ~ ~を露わにした http://eow.alc.co.jp/sp/search.html?q=lay%20%20bare&pg=1

共感・感謝の気持ちを伝えよう!

質問者からのお礼

d-yさん、この文章は、記事のキーとなるところなので、訳してくださったもの、とてもよく理解できました(US帝国主義の底知れなさが怖くなりました)。解説くださった言い換えもわかりやすかったです。ありがとうございました! 関係詞というのは、 ●先行の名詞を後の節と関係させて名詞節をつくったり、 ●あとの節を名詞化するような言葉 と教えてもらっていましたが、不十分だな、と思いました。 なぜならこの文で、of which の後には、先行詞を修飾する節が連なっておらず、覚えていた考え方ではカバーできなかったからです。 which とか、関係詞のもっとシンプルな理解の仕方がありましたら、是非教えてください。

質問者からの補足

追記:自分で調べてみました。 of which の先行詞はその前出の名詞にかかって帰属を表す、というきまりのようなものと理解しました。 We saw a large oak tree, the trunk of which was badly damaged. 私たちは、大きな樫の木を見ました、その幹はひどく痛んでいました。 coins some of which are made of gold and others of which are made of silver コインがあって、その中のいくつかは金で、他は銀でできていた。 ありがとうございました!

関連するQ&A

• TIMEの記事の一部、和訳できません。

TIMEの映画の記事を読んでいたら、Jennifer Hudsonの紹介の文で どうしても意味が通じないところがあります。 ・・・ ジェニファー・ハドソンが歌うAnd I Am Telling You I'm Not Going はまるで彼女のために作られたかのようだ。 というくだりがあって、 その後、 One of those rare movie moments with the spine-chilling immediacy of a sensational live performance, it's great theater on film.  カンマの前までの文は、分詞構文でBeing が省略されていると、 考えたらよいのでしょうか? ・・・ さらに、 Now, at 25, she has a record deal and a batch of critics' awards, a record deal は of critics' awardsにつながるのでしょうか? ・・・ また、ハリウッドはこの「スター誕生」的な歌手兼女優に他の ふさわしい役を見つけることができるのだろうか? という文から最後までのですが、 They'd better, because if talent and charism have anything to do with it, she is not going. で締めくくられています。  これが、最高に難しく頭をひねっているうちに、 She is not going、の部分は、彼女歌っている歌の  I Am Not Going のもじりかな、と思いつきました。 でも、その前の文とのつながりがわかりません。 長くて申し訳ないのですが、 どなたかヒントをくださったらうれしいです。

• 訳し方が分かりません。

訳し方が分かりません。 that, came out of us talking about end-of-life care and talking about comparative effectiveness research, .... 最初が切れていて、主語も分からないのですが、came out of us talkingがどんな文なのかよく分からず、訳せません。 よろしくお願いします。

• ebbs and flows

I am a part of a circle of friends that tend to do things together (girls' nights, weekend getaways, etc.). Obviously, some of us are closer than others, and that ebbs and flows, but this seems largely accepted. that ebbs and flowsの訳をよろしくお願いします

• 和訳をお願いします。

I think i had forwarded you photos of my animals earlier,so why do you need more photos?I am becoming skeptical about this all since many people do contact us and get this photos and papers and end up not purchasing from us,so am afraid its not the case here.

• 和訳をお願いします。

以下の文の和訳をお願いします。 Ms. Laws said the company was in a global “war for talent.” Construction booms in the Middle East, Asia and Latin America are pulling experienced engineers away from Europe, she said.

• 前置詞 including

前置詞 including の前には,なぜいつもコンマがついているのでしょうか? includingの例文をひくと,(1)のように,いつもコンマがついています。 (1) There were twelve of us, including me and Tom. という文があります。 このコンマは何でしょうか? 同格?

• 和訳してくださいm(_ _)m5

Before his tragic death, most people had not known much about what he had done for the people of Latin America. But now people everywhere were deeply moved by his braveand humanitarian actions. In Latin America and the United States, a great number of people paid their last respects to this real hero. In 1973, many events took place in honor of Roberto. He became the first Latin America to be elected into the National Baseball Hall of Fame. The Pirates retired Roberto's number 21. That means no other Pirates player would ever wear that number. Major League Baseball honored him by setting up the "Roberto Clemente Award," the highest award in baseball for sportsmanship and devotion to people in need. "He was such a great inspiration to the young and to all in baseball, and above all, to the proud people of his homeland, Puerto Rico."

• Of these foreign-born childrenのofの意味

下記の文の「Of these foreign-born children」のofの用途は「~については、...」のような「about」に近い意味で使用されているのでしょうか? they say thirteen percent of the adopted children in the United States were born in another country. Of these foreign-born children, one-sixth are from Europe. One-third are from Latin America. And almost half are from Asia.

• in what以下について

There is in America a curious combination of A and genuine delight in what one is able to accomplish with his hands. 質問なんですが、accomplishは他動詞で目的語を取りますよね?その役割がwhatが持っているというのは分かるんですが、in whatのように[前置詞+名詞]に なっている場合には後ろには完全文が来るんじゃ ないんですか? これはどういうことか分かる方いたら教えて ください。ちなみにAの部分は長いので省略させて いただきます。

• 日本語訳のご協力をお願いします><。

This explained why the terms of trade – the number of sacks of coffee, say, necessary to buy a Singer sewing machine – had for the previous half century moved in favor of the exporters of industrial products and against those of raw material or agricultural producers. Latin Americans had to run faster and still lost ground. Indeed, in the example at hand, Latin Americans had to sell only six sacks of coffee or wheat in 1900 to buy a sewing machine, but in 1939 the same machine cost ten sacks. Here then, was a central explanation for Latin America’s continued “underdevelopment,” a term that gained popularity in the 1940s. The solution was crecer hacia adentro, or inward directed growth, the policy of state assisted industrialization, or even state owned industries, behind the high walls of protective tariffs. This was a project designed to produce at home those things previously imported – in the language of the time, import substitution industry. Local industry would thus eventually absorb the underemployed rural population, which would in turn, it was believed, drive up the prices for Latin American raw material exports. These policies, put into effect in all of the major Latin American countries, led to spectacular results in economic output and consumption patterns in the 1950s and 1960s.