• 締切済み

3/20の NBC Nightly News から

低レベルな翻訳の質問なのですが…。 大統領夫人のミシェル・オバマがトークショーで、バレずに普通にスーパーで買い物をしたという話題で、 映像が終わってからのアンカー、ブライアン・ウィリアムズの締めのコメントがよく分かりません。 M. Obama : No one knew that was me. Because a woman actually walked up to me, right?       I was in the detergent aisle, and she said, I kid you not,       "Excuse me, I just have to ask you something," and I thought, "Oh, cover's blown."       She said, "Can you reach on that shelf and had me the detergent?" (観客笑う) I kid you not (笑). B. Williams: (笑顔で)[The best part is] the woman not knowing who she had just spoken to said to the very tall First Lady,         you didn't have to make it look so easy. [ ]部分はHPの字幕には無いものの、こう聞こえるので付けたしましたが(自信なし)、それ以外は原文のままです。 to の後に said はおかしいし、発声のリズムからすると間にコンマが付くのかな等と思いつつも、繋がりがよく分かりません。 直訳してみるなら、    :頼んだ相手が何者か知らずに話しかけたその女性は、とても背の高いファースト・レディーと話した。     あなたは簡単(気楽)に見せる必要は無い。 ユーモラスに教訓?を話しているようですが……よかったら解説お願いします。 念のため動画はこちらです。http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/#46801919

• 英語
  • 回答数9
  • ありがとう数5

みんなの回答

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.9

先の言葉に関して少し気になったので調べてみましたら The 48-year-old, who stands 5'10", said after she obliged, the grateful woman joked with her, "You didn't have to make it look so easy!" "That was my interaction, and it felt so good!" she said. その女性がその言葉をジョークで言ったと言っていますので実際にのべた言葉のようです。 たぶんitは手助け(help)というより、178センチもある大柄な大統領夫人が簡単に高いところにある洗剤をいとも簡単に取る行為(deed)を示しているような気がします。すれば、 You didn't have to make it look so easy! http://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=make+look+easy ~を楽に思わせる。 You didn't have to make such a deed look so easy! すれば「洗剤を取る仕草を楽に思わせる。」言い換えれば 「そんな簡単に洗剤を取る必要も無かったのに。」おやまあ~。背伸びか、ジャンプをして取ってくれれば有難味も増し、感謝の言葉も違っていたはずなのに・・・との様な意味合いのジョークにも捉えられる。 これに対してウイリアム氏が遠まわしに言いたかったことばは 「The best part is」the woman not knowing who she had just spoken to said to the very tall First Lady, you didn't have to make it look so easy. 「」内の主語を付けてご婦人が言った言葉と繋ぎ合わせて新たな文章を作る。そしてこの文が前の番組の話を無くして彼のコメントだけの画面の意味を捉えてみろとなると・・ make it lookのitは主文の主語を示すことになる・・・ すれば You didn't make the best part look so easy! 「最高の場面をそんなに簡単に(演じないで)しなくても良かったのに。」となる・・ 知らぬといえども大統領夫人を顎で使ったのご婦人の極めつけの言葉は、おやま~人生最高のショット(場面)をそんなに簡単に(手を伸ばすだけで取っていまう)終わらせないでよ~もつといろいろなことをして私を楽しませてくださればよかったのに・・ ここからは下衆の勘ぐりですが、もっと考えれば・・・・このご婦人、ひょっとすれば「はじめから大統領夫人と知りながら、洗剤を取ってくれといったのかも・・・itの意味はhelpというよりdeedでその行為、ひいては、(大統領夫人がご婦人のお願いを聞いてくれた)最高の場面(写真でもあれば幾らの値段で新聞社に売れるか分からないほどの価値)としたほうが、全体の意味が鮮明になってくる。 一介のアナウンサーが「大統領夫人はご婦人が私のこと知らなかったのですよ。」と言っているのに、「そんなことはない、ご婦人は貴方のことを知っていたと思いますよ。」なんて言えるはずがない・・・ならば、ご婦人と同様に超遠まわしに、ご婦人は全てを知ってながら大統領夫人にたのんだのですよ。でも、わかるでしょ。知っていてそんなことしたら後々何を言われるかもしれない・・されど、分かってほしい気持ちもある・・・・・・・ならば You didn't have to make such it look so easy! itの解釈は勝手にしてみて!

masacla
質問者

お礼

さらなる回答で、ありがとうございます。 私の印象は「いくら背が高いとはいえ、簡単に取ってくれるわね(笑)」という軽口でしょうか。 ちょっと、それ以上の解釈はまだ私には高度ですので…。

回答No.8

済みません、出だし部分の補足ですw The best part is, は "何が面白いって" 以下意訳で「その女性は誰と話したのか気づいてないまま、背高のファーストレディーに "見せ付けてくれるじゃないの" って言ったことですね。」

masacla
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。様々な意見が聞けてとても嬉しいです。 実は偶然、まったく同じ記事を訳していらっしゃる方のブログを見つけました! http://kobajun.chips.jp/ この方の最後のコメントの解釈は、回答者の方々とはちょっと違うようです。 おおもとの トーク・ショーも探してみようと思います。 ほんの箸休め的と思っていた話も、自分はきちんと理解できていないかもしれない… 政治や経済の話題を理解できる日はくるのか、身が引き締まります(笑)。

回答No.7

映像見れないとこにいるのでなんですが、書かれた文章を読む限り、多分聞き取りは完璧ですね。訳す時の区切りに問題があるようです。 The best part is, the woman not knowing who she had just spoken to / said to the very tall First Lady, "you didn't have to make it look so easy". / までは, 「誰と話していたのか判ってない女性は」(the woman not knowing who she had just spoken to) / 以降は, 「とても背の高いファーストレディーに言った」 女性の台詞(意訳で) "やすやすと届いちゃうのね" (背の高さを見せ付けてくれるわね, 的な意味) こんな感じです。

回答No.6

ちなみに,the best part というのは, ウィリアムズが,この映像をみて一番よかった部分。 ウィリアムズ自信のコメントとして The best part と言っている。 他に意味はありません。 もっとも,アメリカ人が「あなた」を「穴田」だとして 全然違う日本語に感じるような無茶苦茶なことを 「それでも通じるはずだ」と適当なことを考えるのは自由です。

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.5

言い忘れたいましたitを書き換えると、 The best part is that the woman said to the very tall First Lady, "you didn't have to make your help look so easy." The best part is that the woman said to the very tall First Lady, "you didn't have to make the best part look so easy." この2文のコントラストの面白さになるのかな・・・

masacla
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 誰の発言かも分からなかった自分にとって、お二人の考察はついていけませんが(笑)、 回答の広がりは、なにげない話をより深く感じられ勉強になります。 皮肉や冗談のニュアンスを感じとる余裕はまだまだないですが、地道にやっていこうと思います。

回答No.4

say to 人 前置詞 to が必要という点で,speak や talk と同じです。 ただ,speak や talk と違って,「話した」と完結するものではない。 すなわち,普通,何と言ったのかを表現するものです。 >~その女性は、とても背の高いファースト・レディーと話した。 と「話をした」として終わるのでなく, 「~へ言った」,何と言ったのかはもちろん,その後です。 the woman ... said to ... Lady, "You didn't ..." でないと,ここで said という動詞を使う意味がありません。 あと,セリフとして didn't という過去形を使っているように, オバマ夫人が実際にしたことについて, 「必要はなかった」と言ったということです。

masacla
質問者

お礼

遅くなりましたが、回答ありがとうございます。丁寧に解説して頂き、勉強になりました。 あらためて自分の訳そのものを見ると、そんなにおかしくはないんだなと。 けれど意味は全くわかっていなかったという事に、自分の非力を良い意味で確認できました。

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.3

何も知らない婦人がファーストレディー頼んだ言葉は "Can you reach on that shelf and had me the detergent?" ですから  ”you didn't have to make it look so easy.” はWilliams氏がご婦人の言葉をユーモラスに仕立てた言葉になるはずです。 youはファーストレディーになりますよね。 First Lady didn't have to make it look so easy. のほうが分かりやすいと思います。 ここで、itをどのように捉えるかです。 婦人いわく、it=高いところにある洗剤を取って下さい。 「高いところにある洗剤をいとも簡単に取れるように見せかける必要もないですよ。」と婦人は続けざまに言った。 とも取れますが・・・Williams氏はitをThe best partの代名詞として使っているとすると、partには俳優の役と言う意味もあり、最高の見せ場と訳してもかまわない。すれば、 「ファーストレディーが最高の見せ場を容易く演じる必要はないですよ。」ともご婦人は仰っているような気がしますが如何ですか?

回答No.2

(最高の部分は) the woman 修飾 not knowing who she had just spoken to 「~を知らない女性」 ~の部分が who she had just spoken to「誰に,自分が話しかけたのか」 という間接疑問文。 「誰に話しかけたのかわかっていない女性が」 said to the tall First Lady, "You didn't have to make it look so easy." 背の高いファーストレディに「~」と言った。 it は高いところから取ること。 「そんな簡単そうにみせることないじゃない」 修飾というより,分詞構文的に the woman, not knowing who she had just spoken to, said to ... 「その女性は,誰に話しかけたのかもわからずに,背の高いファーストレディに 「~」と言った。 の方が,knowing という ing 形になっていることが理解しやすいです。 最後は締めのコメントでなく,その女性がオバマ夫人に話しかけた内容。 全体として,そこが the best part だというコメントではあります。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

>>ユーモラスに教訓?を話しているようですが……よかったら解説お願いします。     大統領夫人と知らずに、「あなた背が高いからと言って、私のようなチビの前で、そうやすやすと高い棚の上の物を、取れるって見せびらかなくてもいいじゃん」と言ったからでしょう。

masacla
質問者

お礼

遅くなって申し訳ありません。回答ありがとうございます。 最後の一文が女性の発言ということもわかっていませんでした…。

関連するQ&A

• この問題が解けません。教えてください!!

この問題が解けません。教えてください!! 1,2,3,4直接話法の文に、5,6,7,8,9は関節話法の文にしてください。 1.She told me that she had never met him before. 2.He told me that he was going to sell that book the following day. 3.Out teacher advised us not to forget that. 4.She asked me if I was all right and where I had been. 5.She said to him, "Are you going? Please stay here with me." 6.He said, "Betty is a good girl, but I don't like her. 7.He said to me, "Let's go out for dinner tonight." 8.Mary said to me, "Is this the bag you bought yesterday?" 9.George said to me, "What are you reading? Show it to me."

• 話法を変えて書き換えるにはどうしたらいいですか

話法を変えて書き換えるにはどうしたらいいですか 1 The man said to me ,"Would you show me your album?" 2 She asked her mother whether she might go on a picnic some of our friends if it was fine the next Saturday. 3 This morning my father told me that he was going fishing in the lake tomorrow and asked me if I would not go with him. 4 She said she hada seen her brother the previous week but that she had not seen him since. 5 She said he was giving a party that week but she was sorry not be invited to it. 6 I said to my mother ," I am thirsty . Please give me something to drink." 7 The child said ,"What a long nose this animal has!" 8 Tom asked Lucy what she thought of his plan. できたら和訳も教えてください。 よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします

和訳をお願いします He had found it lying in the street,and as he looked at me over the top of his glasses,he said,“Maybe now you'll learn not to be careless and lose things.” I 'm a grown woman now,and I still lose things. I'm still careless. But what my father taught me that day was not a lesson of responsibility. I learned not to believe his laughter.Because even his laughter hurt.

• 話法の問題が解けません。

話法の問題が解けません。 1. She said to him, "Please help me with her homework." She ( ) him ( ) help her with her homework. 2.She said to me, "Do you remember me?" She ( ) me ( ) I remembered her. 3. She said to him, "What do you mean?" She ( ) him ( ) ( ) ( ). 4. She said to him, "Let's talk about it." She ( ) to him that ( ) ( ) talk about it. 5. She said, "How happy I am!" She said with joy that she was ( ) happy. 6.He said, "May God help me!" He ( ) that God ( ) help him. 7. Yesterday she said to me, "I'll see you tomorrow". Yesterday she told me that she would see me ( ).

• prominenceII P64,65

Newt nodded. "All right,"he said. "Remenber me from time to time. Remember how much I love you." Involuntaily,Catharine burst into tears. She turned her back to Nert,looked into the infinite colonnade of the woods. "What does this mean?"said Newt. "Rage!"said Catharine. She clenched her hands. "You have no right-" "I had to find out,"he said. "Yes,"she said. She faced him, looked up at him,her face quite red. "You would have known,"she said. "How?"he said. "Yow would have seen it,"she said. "Women aren't very clever at hiding it." Newt looked closely at Catharine's face now. Newt was ceeing love now. And he did what he had to do.He kissed her. "You shouldn't have done that,"she said. "You didn't like it?"he said. "What did you expect,"she said-"wild,abandoned passion?" "Ikeep telling you,"he said,"I never know what's going to happen next." "We say goodbye," she said. He frowned slightly."All right," he said. She made another speech. "I'm not sorry we kissed,"se said. "That was sweet. We should have kissed,we've been so close. I'll always remember you,Newt,and good luck." "You,too,"he said. "Thank you,Newt,"she said. She noted uneasily that they had begun to walk again. The farewell had been forgotten. "You really love him?"he said. "Certainly I love him!"she said hotly. !What's good about Henry! Yes,"she said,"and many,many,many things are probably bad too. But that isn't any of your business. I love Henry,and I don't have to argue his merits with you!" "Sorry,"said Newt. 誤字があるかも知れませんが 和訳お願いします。

• 話法教えてください

話法教えてください 1He said to me "Where did you buy this dictionary?" He asked me Where ~ 2Tom invited me to join them. Tom said to me, ~ 3She asked him why he hadn't told her the truth. She said to him,~ 4She asked me if was sure I would get a letter from Judy. She said to me ,~ 5He said to me , "I'm going fisihing tomorrow , Will you come with me?" He told me he was going fishing ~ よろしくお願いします

• The Dark Glassesからの英文です。

"And attempted to forge the will?" I said. She stopped. "What are you saying?" "Does he admit that he tried to forge his mother's will?" "I haven't mentioned anything about a will." "Oh, I thought you had." "But, in fact, that was his sister's accusation. What made you say that? How did you know?" "I must be psychic, I said." She took my arm. I had become a most endearing case history. "You must be psychic indeed," she said. "You must tell me more about yourself. Well, that's the story of my taking up my present profession. When my husband started having these delusions and making these confessions I felt I had to understand the workings of the mind. And I began to study them. It has been fruitful. It has saved my own reason." "Did it ever occur to you that the sister's story might be true?" I said. "Especially as he admits it." She took away her arm and said, "Yes, I considered the possibility. I must admit I considered it well. She saw me watching her face. She looked as if she were pleading some personal excuse. "Oh do," she said, "please take off those glasses." "Why don't you believe his own confession?" "I'm a psychiatrist and we seldom believe confessions." She looked at her watch as if to suggest I had started the whole conversation and was boring her. I said, "He might have stopped seeing eyes if you'd taken him at his word." She shouted, "What are you saying? What are you thinking of? He wanted to give a statement to the police, do you realize...." "You know he's guilty," I said. "As his wife," she said, "I know he's guilty. But as a psychiatrist I must regard him as innocent. That's why I took up the subject." She suddenly turned angry and shouted, "You damned inquisitor, I've met your type before." I could hardly believe she was shouting, who previously had been so calm. "Oh, it's not my business," I said, and took off my glasses to show willing. I think it was then she recognized me. Muriel SparkのThe Dark Glassesからの英文です。 過去の回想シーンから現代に戻って、主人公とDr Grayが湖のまわりを一緒に歩きながら話している場面です。 ここでこの物語は終わりになります。 ***************************************************** As his wife," she said, I know he's guilty. But as a psychiatrist I must regard him as innocent. というDr Grayのセリフがあるのですが、 以前に Then there was an accident, one of those psychological accidents. She was a trained dispenser, but she mixed herself the wrong eye-drops. Now it's very difficult to make a mistake like that, normally. But subconsciously she wanted to, she wanted to. But she wasn't normal, she was not normal." とあって、姉は潜在的に盲目になりたくて点眼薬の調合を間違えたのだと思っていたのですが、 結局つまり、姉の点眼薬を別の劇薬にすり替えたのは弟(Dr Grayの夫)だったのか。 最後のオチがよくわからなくなってしまいました。 もしわかるようでしたら教えてください。お願いします。 (英語そのものの質問ではないのでここまで物語を読んでいただいていない方には質問の内容がわからなくて申し訳ないです。) 前文は I had my glasses on again, and was walking on. "How did your husband react to his sister's accusations?" I said. "He was remarkably kind." "Kind?" "Oh, yes, in the circumstances. Because she started up a lot of gossip in the neighbourhood. It was only a small town. It was a long time before I could persuade him to send her to a home for the blind where she could be looked after. There was a terrible bond between them. Unconscious incest." "Didn't you know that when you married him? I should have thought it would have been obvious." She looked at me again. "I had not studied psychology at that time," she said. I thought, neither had I. We were silent for the third turn about the lake. Then she said, "Well, I was telling you how I came to study psychology and practise it. My husband had this breakdown after his sister went away. He had delusions. He kept imagining he saw eyes looking at him everywhere. He still sees them from time to time. But eyes, you see. That's significant. Unconsciously he felt he had blinded his sister. Because unconsciously he wanted to do so. He keeps confessing that he did so." となっています。

• よろしくお願いします

Q. Help is not needed: I recently tried to assist a disabled person getting out of an SUV onto a wheelchair. At the time, it seemed like she had trouble controlling the chair, and I rushed to help. She was brought to tears as she tried to get me to move away. But then she seemed like she was about to fall again while trying to sit in the chair. In retrospect, I think I might have overreacted. But, again, she insisted that I did not help her. I see that person more or less every day, and I am uncomfortable about the right thing. I don’t know if apologizing will make things worse. Is there anything to do to make this right or less awkward? A: You say the woman in question seemed “about to fall again” but not that she ever actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happened. she insisted that I did not help her.は「彼女は私を助けないでと主張した」でしょうか?あと、 not that she ever actually fell, a detail I believe you would have included had it actually happenedのeverはどのような役割でしょうか?また、had it actually happenedは仮定法でしょうか?not that以下の全体の訳も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 話法教えてください

1誤りを正しての書き直し When he said to me what is the matter with me,I said him that I have not slept well. →When he asked me what was the matter with me ,I (    ) that I had not slept. 2文意が同じになるように He said to her , "Why didn't you attend the party?" = He asked(                                 ). 3話法を変えて 3-1Ken said ," What's wrong with you, Jon ?"・・・・"I have a headance," said Jon. →Ken asked Jon what was wrong wtih (  ). Jon (    ) (    )had a headance. 3-2He said to me ,"Let me do it ." →He asked me to let (   ) do it. 4直接・間接話法に 彼は私に「明日は忙しいから行けないよ」と昨夜言っていた 直接→Last night , he said to me ,"I won't go (    )because I will be busy ." 間接→Last night , he told me he wouldn't go (    )because I would be busy . よろしくお願いします

• 和訳してください。

英語に詳しい方、翻訳機を使わずに和訳してください。 細かい部分がよく理解できません。 I trying to convince her that she didn't need to ask me for everything, that I wasn't always right about everything, that she should speak up and stand up for herself and argue with me when I had the wrong idea... but she just didn't want to learn. Deep down inside, I discovered, she was the sort of woman who wanted a strong man to dominate her, whom she could lean on and rely on for anything she needed. She wanted to feel safe and taken care of. I don't think that's a bad thing on its own... but over those years I started to become a man I don't want to be: arrogant, controlling, overconfident. Like I couldn't help but enjoy all that power she was always giving me. But I don't want to be that man. And I don't want to live that relationship. I *have* to be able to grow, to learn, to always be taking life as a new lesson, but how can I do that if I'm never wrong about anything? It was too tempting, and it made me a darker person. So, though I loved her very much and it tore my heart to do it, I had to end our relationship. I was not the man she was looking for, even though she wanted me to be. And she was not the woman I have been looking for, even though I desperately loved her beauty and inner light