違い:tend not to ~ と tend to not ~

このQ&Aのポイント
  • tend not to ~ と tend to not ~ の違いは何でしょうか?
  • 「tend not to ~」では意味が通じないのでしょうか?
  • 例文の「tend not to go」はなぜ「tend to not go」ではないのでしょうか?
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

tend not to ~ と tend to not ~ の違い

tend not to ~ と tend to not ~ の違い 下記の英文を、私は「tend not to talk」と書いていたところ、正しくは「tend to not talk」であると教わりました。 We, Japanese people, tend to not talk with people who have different points of view because we hate being in an awkward situation. この場合は、「tend not to talk」では意味が通じないのでしょうか? 例えば、アルクのサイトには、 I tend not to go there. (そこへ行かないようになった)という例文がありますが、この場合は何故「tend to not go」ではないのでしょうか? よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.3

ネイティブの人でto不定詞の否定について、 tend not to be/talk, etc. tend to not be/talk, etc. 上記文の意味の違いを説く人がいますし、意味は変わらないという人もいます。 違いの説明を読んだことはあるのですが、ニュアンスの違いは解かりませんでした。私が言葉に関してsensitiveではないからだと思います。 文法的解釈をすると、 quote Negative infinitives are normally made by putting not before the infinitive. Try not to be late (NOT:Try to not be late) You are silly not to have locked your car. unquote Practical English Usageからの抜粋です。 ですから、tend not to talkが正しい言い方と考えられます。 よくある例で I am going to not は正しく I am going not to は間違いである とするネイティブが多いです。 理由を調べてみると”be going to”は”go to” の進行形ではなく、”助動詞”としてみなしている人が多いために間にnotを入れてはいけないとしているのでなないかと勝手に推測しています。 同様に、”tend to”も句動詞としてみなせば"tend to not"になるのが正しいとされると思います。 但し、tend to を英英辞書で調べると句動詞としているのは一冊だけで、他の辞書は、動詞+前置詞(または、to不定詞)の扱いをしています。 とすると、一般的な英英辞書の解釈からすれば、tend to not より tend not to の方が正しい表現になるとも言える。 ともあれ、この場合どちらでもかまわないとおもいます。但し、tend not to を間違いとするのは、間違いと考えます。

mawota
質問者

お礼

なるほど、とてもよくわかりました!! 学校で習ったのと違ってたので納得いかなかったのですが、句動詞とみなすか、動詞+to不定詞とみなすかの違いであって、どちららも間違いではないと分って納得しました。 ご丁寧に説明頂き本当にありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

• sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.2

以下の URL に質問者様と同様の質問が出ていました。ただし「なぜ」に関しては満足のゆく答えになっているかどうか分かりません。2つ目の URL のほうが詳しいかなと思います。tend not to, tend to not で goole 検索すると確かにたくさんの用例が出てきますが、理由は分かりませんでした。ごめんなさい。ただ do not tend to, tend not to に比べると tend to not の例が少し少ないように感じました。多少とも参考になればと思います。 http://alcom.alc.co.jp/questions/show/3520 http://alcom.alc.co.jp/questions/show/3454

mawota
質問者

お礼

過去の回答を探して頂いてありがとうございました。博士論文になってしまうほどの高度な質問だったんですね(笑)

• KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.1

tend not to talk with, tend to not talk with も使われます。否定の仕方でニュアンスが変わって来るということでしょう。 1. tend not to talk with xxx 「話す」という動作を取り上げてそれを否定していていますから、積極的に話すことはしていない、と受け止められます。求めて話してはいないというだけで、話さない理由は別段「避けている」からではないのですね。 2. tend to not talk with xxx 「話さない」という動作を取り上げていますから、話すことを避ける傾向がある、と受け止められます。「話さない」ことを求める人がいると指摘しています。

mawota
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。not以下の否定であると考えると、ご説明頂いたような違いがあると理解できました。

関連するQ&A

• too~not toの意味と文章の訳

ポッドキャストのスクリプトです。 “Politically correct” の意味を説明する箇所がありました。 “Politically correct” is using words and language carefully so that you don’t offend other people – to get other people mad at you. You often will change the words that we perhaps used to use to describe someone and use language that is less offensive to them. Some people use “politically correct” itself to be an insulting term, saying that people are being too careful not to be offensive. 4行目の Some people use “politically correct” itself to be an insulting term, saying that people are being too careful not to be offensive. の文章ですが、まず、itselfは「そのもの」と解釈し、too~ not to・・・は、いろいろ調べたのですが、 「~しすぎて・・・でないわけにいかない」という意味があるとあったので、 「人はあまりに気を使いすぎるのが不快でないわけないと言って、無礼な言葉である“politically correct(差別のない表現)”を使う人もいる。」 と訳をつけました。 訳をつけましたが、“politically correct”を使う理由は何なのかが理解できませんでした。 以上わからなかった所をまとめますと、 1. itself を付けるのはなぜ? 2. too~ not to・・・の意味 3. “politically correct”を使う人もいる理由 よろしくお願いいたします。

• Used to の使い方

【問題】 Complete the sentences. Use the correct forms of used to and the verbs in parentheses. 【例】1. Amelia didn’t use to sing. But she used to dance. (not sing/dance) 2. Emma (not study hard/read a lot) 答…..Emma didn’t use to study hard but she used to read a lot. 3. Eric (not play soccer/swim) 答…..Eric didn’t use to play soccer but he used to swim. 4. Tim and Dan (not ride bikes/go running) 答…..Tim and Dan didn’t use to ride bikes but they used to go running. 5. We (not study chemistry/study biology) 答…..We didn’t use to study chemistry but we used to study biology. 6. My friends (not watch DVDs/go to the movies) 答…..My friends didn’t use to watch DVDs but we used to go to the movies. 2.~5. の答えのチェックをして下さい。よろしくお願いします。

• able toの関係代名詞的用法

We need to help elderly people who are not able to do household works. というような文章を、 We need to help elderly people, able to do household works. というように略して書いてある文章を見かけるのですが このような用法って正しかったでしょうか? どうやって検索すれば正しいかどうか分かりますか?

• 大学受験対策の自由英作文の添削をお願いします。

問題文「Is a lie always bad? Why or Why not? 」、65~74字で書くこと。 I think that a lie is not always bad. There are different lies used not to hurt people or to keep good relationships. For example, if we know that one hate the other, we tell the other that no one hate you and everybody like you. Though it seems that we should not deceive people, it is essential to us to live comfortably everyday. 論理的に文章を展開させているか、また正しい文法を使って英作できているか、の二点に留意して添削して下さると助かります^^ また、質問にも答えて下さると嬉しいです。 質問(1)問題文はa lie と単数形になっていますが、英作する時にliesと複数形にして一般化してもいいのでしょうか? 結局、「色々な嘘」という形で第二文から複数形にしているので、第一文から複数形にしても差し支えないのでしょうか? 質問(2)For example以下の二文ですが、主語・目的語をwe,usで統一しましたが、こういう場合はweとyouどちらを使うべきなのでしょうか? では、よろしくお願いします!

• 以下の英文についてお尋ねします。san3

1When Japanese people talk to each other, they usually call them putting San after his/her (family) names likeYamamoto-san. 2When we speak to somebody in Japan, we usually put San after their(family) names like Yamamoto-san.  3When Japanese people call each other, they add "san" after the names to be polite. So, when you talk to Japanese people, please say "san" after their names. 1~3までなのですが、1の場合、そばに友人がいる時に言うときは、自分も入っている(話者は日本人であるから)との意味で用いられるでしょうか?2よりも客観的な言い方になるとは思うのですが。 3なのですがcallに話しかけるとの意味での用法は一般的なのでしょうか? また,代名詞のtheyをwe add~とするとやはり不自然でしょうか? 宜しくお願いします。

• 次の英文を和訳してください

The organization was paying for computer projects at universities all over the USA. But Bob Taylor was not happy with the results. He went to see his boss, Charlie Herzfeld. Charlie, we have a problem, he said. What is that? Herzfeld asked. We are throwing money away, said Taylor. We are paying different people all over the USA to do exactly the same study. What is wrong with them ? shouted Herzfeld, who had a strong Austrian accent and scared many of the people who woreked for him. Dont not they go to meetings? We pay for them to go to meetings. Why do not they just tell each other what they are doing? No, Charlie, that is not the problems, explained Taylor. Of course our people talk to each other. The trouble is that their computers do not. Their computers do not talk? What do you mean? asked Herzfeld. Well, look at my office. I have got connections there to all of our biggest computers. But if I want to communicate with the people at Santa Monica, I have to sit down at one machine. And if I want to talk to the computer at Berkeley, I have to get up from that machine, go over and sit at another one, and use a completely diffrent computer language.

• 英文法

We go to the coffee shop. We talk about our school life. この2つの文章をつなげる時は We go to the coffee shop and talk about our school life. で and の後にwe は不要ですよね?  また、  We are talking とつなげる時は  We go to the coffee shop and are talking.  ですか?

• 日本語訳お願いします。

1. The ability to speak and understand Japanese. Extra bonus points if you can read and *appreciate* the newspapers, “Yomiuri shinbun” or “Sankei shinbun” in Japanese. 2. The ability to read the atmosphere without any verbal communication. 3. The knowledge of tacit protocols that are unique to Japan to help accomplish No.2. (Maybe you can pick up some from the other posts). 4. The ability to push yourself onto a packed train every morning. The Nightmarish Reality For Japanese Commuters 5. The ability to accept any unfortunate/unreasonable/disconsolate situation or outcome by saying “Shoganai” especially when it’s caused by authorities or people in power. 6. The ability to not think for oneself and blend in the whole community as not to draw attention to oneself. (we know we’ll suffer the consequences if we do). 7. The inclination to be obsessed with being clean and hygienic. 8. The inclination to classify people with Japanese nationality as foreigners due to their looks or their willingness to ignore protocols — especially nonsensical protocols. 9. The ability to be intentionally naive without knowing it.

• 英語の間違いについて

少し長いのですが・・・ First, I am going to talk about friends. Many people have views. (たくさんの人がそれぞれの考え方を持っている) And it is not similar. (それは似ていない) If I had live in a big city, I could meet people who have some views. I have friends when I was high school student. Some friends of mine goes to college. But others don't go to college. This is because they have a dream. A friend of mine wants to be dancer. She don't go to college, but go to dance school. Thus, I can meet many people because I live in a big city. So I can make many friends. They and I have different views. Therefore, I like talk people. I suppose that we can meet many people in a big city than a small town. もし、間違いやアドバイスなどあれば教えてください。

• 英作の添削お願いします

Do you think that everyone should learn to speak one common international language? Explan why or why not. Write a passage of 5 sentences in English on your answer sheet. に対する英作です。 問題の文章の意味がはっきり分からなくて、 よく分からないまま書いてしまいました・・・。 I think that everone should learn to speak one common international language. But, it not means that remove many different language in the world. Many language are being lost, month by month, year by year. So, we need to save many different language. In addition, we need to speak one common international language, because if we do not know common international language, we can not conversation among people who speak different language. 宜しくお願いします。