• ベストアンサー

BANTAM CLASSIC の「50 GREAT SHORT STO

BANTAM CLASSIC の「50 GREAT SHORT STORIES」の中のO Henry の短編小説「The Man Higher Up」に出てくる184P上から7行目からの "'It's part of my business,' says Bill Bassett, 'to play up to the ruffles when I want to make a riffle as Raffles. の意味教えてください。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.1

>'It's part of my business,' says Bill Bassett, 'to play up to the ruffles when I want to make a riffle as Raffles. 'Tis loves that makes the bit go 'round. までが内容と思うのです。 たぶん語呂合わせの遊び言葉と思います。 ポイントは rufflesとrafflesの発音が同じであること。 Rafflesは固有名詞(人の名前として使われている) riffleとruffleには”さざ波”と言う意味がある。 ruffleには、”a noisy fight”と言う意味もある。 http://www.thefreedictionary.com/ruffle >Tis loves that makes the bit go 'round. の意味は、発音が同じであるために入れ替えが可能である。 It's part of my business to play up to the ruffles when I want to make a riffle as Raffles. ↓ It's part of my business to play up to Raffles when I want to make a riffle as the ruffles. 句動詞で play up = misbehave http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=play_up It's part of my business to play up to the ruffles when I want to make a riffle as Raffles. ラッフルズと偽りさざ波を立てたい時は、喧しく巻くり立て不正を行うことが私の仕事なんです。 It's part of my business to play up to the Raffles when I want to make a riffle as ruffles. ply up with = おべっかを使う さざ波をさざ波のままにして置きたいときは、ラッフルズ(役人)におべっかをつかって、(さざ波はさざ波として)物事を大きくしないことが私の仕事である・・・と言うほうが、Tisは好きだと思うよ。 ぐらいかな・・私の頭では・・

angyeti
質問者

お礼

詳細な解説でよく理解できました。 ありがとうございました。

その他の回答 (2)

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.3

何度もすいません。訂正です。 It's part of my business to play up to the Raffles when I want to make a riffle as ruffles. ↓ It's part of my business to play up to Raffles when I want to make a riffle as the ruffles.

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.2

NO1 play up with ではなく play up to おべっかを使う。 です。

関連するQ&A

• 英文翻訳

アメリカ人の友人から下記のメッセージが届きました。 Mark Linton氏の言葉からの引用との事。どのような意味になりますか? A real man is the kind of man that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says Oh Crap, he's up! Brother, life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat u right. Forgive the ones. よろしくお願い致します。

• 和訳お願いします。

My husband never speaks to me when he comes home from work. When I ask ,”How did everything go today? “ He says,” rough …” or “it’s a jungle out there” It’s a different story when we have guests or go visiting . Paul is the gabbiest guy in the crow-a real spellbinder. He comes up with the most interesting stories. People hang on every word. I think to myself , Why doesn’t he ever tell me these things ? This has been going on for 38 years. Paul started to go quiet on me after 10 years of marriage.

• it's like he gets off

When we started dating, things were sparky, but after a year, he says he's stressed out at work anddoesn't want to have sex. We used to have sex every day! Lately it's once every two weeks. (I agree this is TMI, but it's like he gets off and that's that.) it's like he gets off and that's thatの訳をお願いします。

• 至急!!英文をわかりやすい日本語にしてください。

I want to know why it's so hard when you are not Japanese to be accepted like a human before gaijin ? And I want to know what are you doing when you go out with your friends. If it's like in manga or its completely different. And what about relationship between boys and girls ? I think it's enough for this e-mail . see you later

• この'the end'について教えていただけないでしょうか?

ある俳優のbiographyからの抜粋です。 Of his life right now, he says: "When I'm in my 50's, I want a lot of good memories. I like to write... このあと、彼が興味のあること、やってみたいことなどの記述があり、こう続きます。 "But I don't want to get caught up in thinking about 'the end'. You know it's easy to say 'I want just to enjoy myself, now', but it's just as tough for me as it is for the next guy. I worry about the end a lot." ここでお聞きしたいのは2点、the endとthe next guyです。 the endを調べて、自分なりに考えてみました。 1)目標   ”目標は何か”なんてことにとらわれたくない。 2)結果   ”結果がどうなるか”なんてことにとらわれたくない。 どうとらえたら、彼の言わんとしていることに近づけるのでしょうか? the next guy この先、いろいろトライしてみたいことがあって、それを実現した彼自身をこう表現している、と感じましたが、いかがでしょうか? お時間ありましたら、よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳がわかりません。

there much kinder to the scalp and clean up's tend to allot easier. がうまく訳せません。 文法的にもわかりません。 The secret to achieving the best possible bond when using these types of adhesives is to make sure the Glue is dry as they are contact adhesives the last thing you want to do is attach your unit when the Adhesives wet as this can seap through the lace units. わかる方がおりましたら、翻訳よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語にしてくださいm(__)m

相手)Hehehe It's true. When I am with you I will do everything you want to do :p 私)Yippee* If I meet you, I may say my lots of selfishness to you(―᎕―)+Hehehe 相手)Anything for you :3 私)Why are you so kind? Are you angel? 相手)Hehehe I just want to make you happy :) と話していて、 『私はもう幸せですよ。 なぜかは分からないけど、 あなたと話していると落ち着くって言うか、 幸せな気持ちになります。』と返事をしたいです。 英語にしてくださいm(__)m

• 疑問文の答え方について

Q1:Why do you study English?「なぜ英語を勉強するの?」 A1:To go to America. A2:Because I want to go to America. 初歩的な英語のやり取りの一部です. whyで聞かれると,to不定詞,because節で答えられますよね. ではwhenで聞かれたときに,具体的な日付以外に,下のようにwhen節で答えられますか? Q2:When do you study?「いつ勉強するの?」 A2:When I'm free.「暇なとき」 また,[When is your birthday?]「誕生日いつ?」の答えで (1)It's January first.「1月1日です.」 (2)It's on January first.「1月1日です.」 (1)は,誕生日は○○(日付)である.と,日付を名詞的に答えている気がします. (2)は,誕生日は○○(日付)にあります.と誕生日がある日を答えている気がします. どちらか間違っていますか?

• 英語問題 質問

When Jennifer asks her son Thomas what he would like to be when he grows up , he answers that would like to be spiderman. She is surprised and says: Are you really ( )( )( )( )( )( )? (1)to be (2)sure (3)that's (4)want (5)what (6)you この場合どう並び替えるのが適切でしょうか?

• ホームステイ先へのメール

今からカナダのホームステイ先へメールを送ろうと思うのですがこれでいいでしょうか。 意見・修正・書いたほうがいいことなどあればお願いします。 How do you do? My name is ○○○. I am a Japanese sutudent. Thank you for offering me your house. It's my first time to go abroad.and I am not good at speaking English. so I am nervous but excited. Please pardon me when I can't hear your English.But I want to learn English and make an effort. When I go to Canada,I want to get some different point of view. I am looking forward to hearing from you. Sincerely,