• 締切済み

Raymond Carver. Gazebo.

Raymondo CarverのGazeboに出てくる一節です。 "There was this funny thing of anything could happen now that we realized everything had."  村上春樹の訳ですと、「既にいろんなことが起こってしまったのだ。これ以上何が起ころうが知ったことか」になっています。しかし英文解釈のレベルで私には意味がわかりません。どう訳せばこのようになるんでしょうか?

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

みんなの回答

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.2

私も、この部分だけを見ると、何を言ってるのやら、チンプンカンプンです。 No.1 の回答者の方の読解力に感服するばかりです。 この文は、  There was this funny thing of anything could happen.  Now that we realized everything had. というふうに、2つに分けることも出来るのではないでしょうか。また、  of anything could happen の部分は、  of anything that could happen とも出来るのではないでしょうか。すると、前半は  There was this funny thing of anything that could happen. となり、「起こり得る事柄のうちの変なことがあった」 → 「とっても妙なことが起きた」という意味で、後半は  Now that we realized everything had (happened). で、now that は「(今や)~だから」ということで、「だから今やそれらすべてのことが起ったということを認識した」 → 「今や起ったすべてのことは分った」 → 「何が起ったのかは分っている」となるのではないでしょうか。 私の解釈はかなり強引で、しかも誤っている可能性もありますが、前後関係なしに、この部分だけを読めば、そう読めるのではあるまいか、と思った次第です。

• trytobe
  • ベストアンサー率36% (3457/9591)
回答No.1

翻訳には、原文の言葉を一言一句対応させて訳すものと、文の意味するところが同じになるよう日本語で書き換えるものがあります。 ご質問のように文学作品の翻訳では、小説家が同じ雰囲気と状況を表現する日本語を書く、というのも一つの手法です。試験では間違っていても、文学という芸術としては適切な「日本語文」というわけですね。 なお、原文もカンマを省いていたり、独特の言い回しや前置詞の使い方をしていて、文法的に解釈しようとすると混乱するかもしれません。 we realized everything had (happen) が、「既にいろんなことが起こってしまったのだ。」、There was this funny thing of anything could happen now が「今起こりうる中で funny なことはあったけど」(これ以上何が起ころうが知ったことか)、みたいな意訳になっているんですね。

関連するQ&A

• ■翻訳お願いします。

It had happend that morning at the Ministry, if anything so nebulous could be said to happen 「それは今朝、庁舎で起こった」 if anything~、どのように約していいかわかりません。 ご教授お願いします

• 恋人と別れた男の言葉で悩んでいます。

恋人と別れた男の言葉で悩んでいます。 男は遊び人で、彼女の親友と寝てしまいます。 当然2人は別れますが、最初は平気な顔をしてた男が 元カノの大事さに気づいて、親友を呼びだしてカラミ酒をしながら 泣き言を言っています。 「It never felt like we had to try or anything.  We just fell into this thing,  we could always just be ourselves.」 「努力しなくても2人一緒にいられたのに」という意味でしょうか? たぶんというか、絶対間違ってると思うんですが、意味が分かりません。 どなたか分かる方、お知恵を貸してください。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• この英文を訳して下さい。

この英文を文法的な解釈も添えて訳して下さい。 There was that about him which did not please me. I have had a very unpleasant thing happen to me.

• 文法問題

( )に入る番号を教えて下さい! (1)If I had had enough money then,I ( )the bag. (1)could buy (2)bought(3)could have bought (4)had bought (2)I ( )you if I had enough time. (1)can see (2)could see (3)cannot see (4)could have seen (3)( )I you,I wouldn't do such a shilly thing. (1)Am (2)Would (3)Were (4)If (4)He wishes he ( )a car;taxis are so expensive. (1)can drive (2)could drive (3)will drive (4)drives (5)If it ( )your advice,we would not be able to fish this task. (1)was not (2)had not for (3)were not (4)were not for (6)( ) (1)If it was nice tomorrow,we will go there. (2)If it had been nice tomorrow,we will go there. (3)If it is nice tomorrow,we will go there. (7)( ) (1)If I only could speak French! (2)Only if I could speak French! (3)If only I could speak French! (8)( ) (1)It's almost eleven. it's time you go to bed. (2)It's almost eleven. It's time you went to bed. (3)It's almost eleven. It's time you had gone to bed. (9)You( )have brought your umbrella. It didn't rain. (1)need not (2)should (3)must not (4)can

• We’re not heroes for

夫 We’re not heroes for having unprotected sex on prom night. 妻  I get it, now that you know you could’ve had it better, you resent me for holding you back. 夫 Well now that we know you think the tables are turning, we know you thought there were unturned tables. 夫婦げんかをしているようなのですが、どんなことを言っているのかが分かりません。訳を教えていただけないでしょうか。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 過去完了

They once took my son when he was small and drove him around and grilled him because they thought he was being abused. He had fallen and hit his face on a bleacher at the pool. My mom was there and saw the whole thing happen but pretended not to know. I worked for Child Protective Services at the time and was humiliated. But thank goodness, my son and I were interviewed, so we could prove nothing bad had happened. He had fallenとnothing bad hadのところはなぜ過去形ではなく過去完了なのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• compromise oneself

But frankly, I’m pretty much done. I don’t really want to be married to him anymore, especially now that I’ve realized there are men out there who are willing to give me everything I want without my compromising myself. compromising myselfはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• BIGBANGの歌詞なのですが

BIGBANGの歌詞なのですが 自分で少し訳したのですがわからないところが多くて困っています。 誰か訳していただけないでしょうか... カジュアルな感じでいいので よろしくお願いしますm(_)m I don’t wanna be without you girl (Got me slowly dying) Where did we go wrong my girl (Why can’t we keep on trying) I don’t wanna be without you girl (I gave my heart to you) Going outta my mind, cuz I love you, I need you girl Baby baby baby You know we go back for oh so long Baby baby baby Used to having you here in my arms Baby baby baby You know what we had was oh so strong Just say you’ll still be mine Cuz I love you, I need you girl My homey lover friend, together yea we had it all Could never see an end, just roll forever deep in love We’d get our groove on Do everything so happily, so free And nothing anyone could ever hate on (Yea, yea, yea) Baby you’re my everything; I’ll do anything for ya Never knew another girly quite like ya And I wanna excite ya Like, like giving you what you wanna do girl If there’s anyone, I’ll straight run ‘em Unfadeable, GD stun ‘em What up, what up, can’t put up, put up When you’re telling me you’re gonna need time alone Tried to call you a thousand times up on the phone ( I called you on the phone) Never did you answer once, you know that’s wrong (You know that’s really wrong yea) Can we talk this out, I wanna know why did you leave me hanging, oh so dam Yo, we used to be one, lovers on the run, no doubt Fosho, we got each other’s back, that’s fact yo Never had a big prob we’d solve and evolve like a couple should is all, that’s all It seemed we had the love thing on locked With everything we were top But little did I know That you would just up and go How could I’ve known Cuz all in my eyes It was all good Had everything we ever wanted Now that you’re showing your True colors baby, now I know (You Know) Oh, that we weren’t meant to be no, nooo

• 翻訳をお願い致します!

Asked where everything stands with Weiland right now, Dean told 93X: "I just can't believe it even went to this [us suing each other]. "Anybody he was affiliated with or anything kind of just left us for dead; they kind of had their minds made up that we were… Scott was the singer, Scott was this and that.

• 英語日記2 東日本大震災

英語日記2 東日本大震災 すいませんが最近英語力のライティングをあげようと英作文をまいにち書くようにしてます。 レベルのひくい英作文ではずかしいのですが。できれば文法や細かい間違いを指摘して頂けると幸いす。 What can we do now about the severe earthquake. We are facing a great big challenging now. On the 11th of March, we had seen the terrible scene what we couldn’t believe it. But it was really, we are not into dream. Fortunately, my family and my relatives were not there. I don’t know what I can have a light to say it. But if I had been there, I couldn’t have escaped the earthquake. But please don’t forget. We had been able to get over more big challenges. We can do it until we believe us. And think about what we can do now. 内容はあまりきにしないでください。