• ベストアンサー

訳がどこか変なのですが・・・

keeping one's face expressionless when uncertain may work in Japan but seem cold in another culture. その人の顔が無表情に保たれる時日本で入り込むのは不確かかもしれない、しかしもうひとつの冷たい文化に見える。 と訳したのですが、文としておかしい気がするのはなぜですか? 直していただけるとうれしいです。 ちなみに 入り込む=work in として考えました。

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Parismadam
  • ベストアンサー率65% (2756/4211)
回答No.3

こんにちは。5/5のご質問以来ですね。 既に回答は出ていますが、少し補足します。 1.ご質問文で混乱の元になっているのがwhen uncertainの使い方だと思われます。 whenは接続詞なので、その後にS+Vという文がくるのが一般的なので、このwhen節がmay workという動詞を従える、と考えられたのではないでしょうか。 2.接続詞whenには、節を従える以外に、この例文のように形容詞や名詞だけで「~の時」という接続詞の働きをすることがあるのです。 例: when necessary「必要な時」 when a child「子供の時」 3.ご質問文はwhen uncertainをwhen+形容詞だけで、「不確かな時」という副詞句の働きをしているのです。 4.また、この文にある等位接続詞butに注目します。等位接続詞は同じ位(同じ働き)のものを等位に並列します。 何と何を並列しているのかを見分けるには、接続詞の後の単語に注目します。ここではbutの後にseemという動詞がきていますから、その前の「動詞」と等位に並列してることがわかります。 その前にある動詞とはmay workになるのです。 5.以上から、この文の構造は以下のようになることがわかります。 keeping one's face expressionless:主語S when uncertain:主語にかかる副詞句M may work:動詞(1)V in Japan:動詞(1)にかかる副詞句M but:等位接続詞 seem:動詞(2)V cold:動詞(2)の補語C in another culture:動詞句(2)にかかる副詞句M つまり、この文は2つの動詞を等位接続詞で接続した重文であり、前半の文はSVの第1文型、後半はSVCの第2文型になっているのです。 重文はこのように、接続詞を前後して文型が変わることも可能です。 6.keeping one's face expressionless: (1)keep+目的語O+補語Cの関係になっています。 (2)このイディオムの訳し方は「OをCの状態に保つ」です。 (3)主語が人でない無生物構文は、主語を「~すると」「~すれば」といった副詞的に訳すと、こなれた訳になります。 7.work: (1)ここでは「うまくいく」という意味の自動詞として使われています。 例: It works in that point.「その点はうまくいく」 8.以上を踏まえて訳例は (直訳)「不確かな時、顔を無表情に保つことは、日本ではうまくいくかもしれないが、他の文化では冷たく見える」 → (意訳)「確信が持てない時に無表情でいると、日本ではそれで通じるかもしれないが、他の文化では冷たく映ってしまう」 となります。 以上ご参考までに。

m741015
質問者

お礼

いつもありがとうございます。 私は英語が本当に苦手で単語をつなげるだけで訳してしまうのでいつも日本語にならないんです(^-^;) しっかりと解説までしていただけるので本当に理解できてうれしいです。 これからもよろしくお願いします。

その他の回答 (2)

noname#73834
noname#73834
回答No.2

No.1氏のご指摘の通りです。 「あやふやなとき顔に表情を出さないというやりかたは、日本では通用するかもしれないが、他の文化圏では冷淡な印象を与えると思う」 S= keeping~(when [you're] uncertain [about something]) V1= work C= in Japan V2= seem~ かなり長い主語が、2つの動詞をしたがえている文章です。

m741015
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。 補足があるとよりいっそうわかりやすいので嬉しかったです。

• Reffy
  • ベストアンサー率32% (1317/4014)
回答No.1

ご自分で訳した……のではなく、どこかの翻訳サイトの機械翻訳ではないのですか?日本語になっていない気がするのですが……。 uncertainな時、keeping one's face expressionlessすることは日本では効果があるかもしれませんが、別の文化(外国)では冷たいと取られるかもしれませんね、 といった文章にするべきでしょうと思います。 work inで熟語ではなく、may work=機能する in Japan=日本ではと切りましょう。

m741015
質問者

お礼

教えていただきありがとうございます。 自分で単語つなげたらこうなったんです(^-^;) ちなみに翻訳機ですと 不確かなとき、無表情にしてその人の顔をおくことは日本で働くかもしれないが、もう一つの文化において冷たいようかもしれません。 と訳されます。

関連するQ&A

• この英語はあっていますか・・・?

自分で書いた文章なのですが、合っているかわからないので 間違っていたらご指摘お願いいたします><! However, English is not the one in one country alone. In fact, this English is used all over the world. But, the opportunity to meet British English is of rare occurrence to me when I'm in Japan. In addition, I suffer inconvenience from I can’t understand British English. --------------------------------------------------------------- It is to understand British’s culture. But, the opportunity to meet British English is of rare occurrence to me when I'm in Japan. Even if I am the international class, the chance to meet British culture is of rare to me. It can be recognized that there is a different culture. But, if this goes on I may end to live without learning other culture in the culture of Japan.

• 訳お願いしますm(._.)m

訳お願いしますm(._.)m 夢についての話です! (1)The interpretations given above may seem reasonable, yet it needs to be stressed that they do not apply to everyone in the same way. (2)People have various backgrounds, so a dream about the same event could mean different things to different people. (3)For example, people have different ideas about snow. (4)If you live in the northern part of Japan where it snows heavily, you may think of snow as a burden. (5)But if you live in the south where it seldom snows even in winter, you may think of snow as romantic. (6)In this way, when you try to interpret the hidden meaning of a dream , you cannot be too careful.(7)Even if the same person has the same dream again, the interpretation could change. (8)After all, brain scientists may be right when they say dreams have no real meanings. (9)But if dreams could help us understand ourselves better, why not make good use of them?

• この英文の訳をお願いします

Today's kids seem to be too busy, going from one extracurricular activity to another. As they lead such organized daily lives, they become "programmed". This may discourage them from being creative and inventive. As the old saying goes,"all work and no play make Jack a dull boy".

• 英文の訳をお願いします。

私が女性を描いた絵に対するコメントです。 The thing I would work on is facial clarity - making the facial features look more feminine. She looks a little masculine in her face. 自分なりに 「私が手を加えるとするなら、表情を明確にすること、よりフェミニンな表情にね。 彼女はちょっと男性っぽい。」 と訳してみたのですが、合っているか不安です。 特に、"I would work on"をどうやって訳すのかが分かりません。 ご回答よろしくお願いします。

• すみませんが、訳がわかりません。教えて下さい

日本語に訳すとどうなるか教えてください。 A: Why did you lose your job? B: Because I called in one night - I had that black weightlifter with me. thought I had one more day of sick leave, but I didn't. So I decided to spend the night with him, throught I'd still have a job in the morning. But that did it. 多少意訳でもかまいませんので、お願いします。手がかりになるかわかりませんが、Bはゲイの男性です。 お願いいたします。。

• 翻訳をお願いします

翻訳をお願いしていただける方 よろしくお願いします His Neptune is in your second house. This is a negative aspect, it means that at the time when you form the relationship, he will seem free, generous, and with big ideas about money, but there may be financially difficulties or debts in the background of his life. Some poverty or struggle. He may seem to hit a bad patch in an otherwise solvent life. But when you know him better, you will find this is a habit. You will be tempted to save him from disaster financially at some point. But it is unwise to give this man money at all, or to allow him to handle or influence your financial life. For losses may occur. This man could impose on your generosity, become a drain on your income in one way another. He may either always be making use of your money, borrowing, finding things for you to spend on, or invest in, but they wont work. You may have too much faith in him. He may not be as competent financially as he seems. So the impulse to help him out or to give to much could be unfounded, a bad investment in the future both emotionally, if you end up disillusioned and out of pocket in a big way, and financially.

• 訳を見てください

訳と質問なんですけど、まず訳を見てください。Eパルとのやり取りでの彼からの返事です。 right now im back at @@@. But this place has really changed. This place was so great when I was here before but now it's really boring. May be it's just in my mine, I don't know. So you have been busy huh? Well I hope you are taking care of yourself........................ @@に戻ったよ。この場所は俺がいた以前はとてもすばらしかった。でも今は本当にたいくつ。 ここまでしか訳せないのですがこの訳であっていますか?ご指摘などございましたら宜しくお願いします。 そしてこの先のmay be からなんですが、私は彼に、 最近は忙しかった。色々あったけど今はもう大丈夫・・・。 と入れたのですが、may be からの訳を教えて下さい。huhとはいっていますがいやみな感じで言っていますか? 宜しくお願いします。

• 英語の翻訳をお願いします。

翻訳できる方いらっしゃいますか? 特に、But with me in it の意味が分かりません。 I have one looking the same, but with me in it. I'll post it when I get a chance, so you'll see me in Japan in my past visit.

• 訳を教えてください。お願いします

ペンペルになった人からのメッセージで訳に困っています。この文なんですが訳をおしえてください、自分でわかる部分は書きますが間違っていたら教えてくださいお願いします。 ある国でミリタリーの仕事をしていてアメリカに住んでるというのはアメリカ人だといっているのでしょうか? わかる部分は私はとても疲れた。でもどうしてる(butをいれると分がおかしいような・・・) 日本はどう?・・・ です。辞書みたり考えたりしましたがわかりませんでした。教えてくださいお願いします。 Im in the military in ある国名 I live in america, we are just out here for a mission and then we go back home, and when we get home I'm coming to Japan for vacation, i am so tired, :P but how are you doing, how is japan, is there some place you would recommend for me to go?

• 訳が知りたいです🙏

What is world heritage? The answer seems to be simple: something natural or man-made which is so valuable that it is not important to just one country or one region but to the whole world. However, it can be difficult to say what these things of such value are. To one person, a grassland may be a wonderful example of natural beauty; to another it may look like a great place to build houses or shops. Governments are constantly having to resolve such matters, and very often big business wins out over conservation. The situation is even more difficult if the valuable place belongs to more than one country or is affected by activities in another country. A nation may want to build a dum on a river, even if it damages an important site in another country downstream. Some countries may not be able to care for their heritage, or groups there may even want to get rid of it. In 2001, two huge Buddha statues of Bamiyan in Afghanistan were deliberately destroyed by the Taliban. It was to handle situations like this that the World Heritage Committee was set up by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization in 1972. However, the idea for a World Heritage List goes back to the 1950s, when the Abu Simbel temples in Egypt were being threatened by a dam. At that time, the Egyptian government did not seem concerned, so UNESCO started a worldwide campaign that saved the temples by relocating them to higher ground. While officially UNESCO is concerned with protecting world heritage, in most countries nowadays, it is seen more as an organization for promoting it. Nations strongly demand that their important places be added to the list of World Heritage Sites. This means that a site can receive some money from UNESCO's preservation fund, but the real reason is that it gains media attention and more tourists start coming. Indeed, becoming a World Heritage Site is not always good for a place -sometimes it can be the very worst thing that could happen for its preservation. After Beijing's Forbidden City became a World Heritage Site in 1987, the city government destroyed a large area of traditional buildings around the City and replaced them with heritage streets full of hotels and restaurants for the tourists visiting the Forbidden City. The Angkor temples in Cambodia, which became a World Heritage Site in 1992, now attract more than two million visitors annually and the nearby Siem Reap, which was once barely more than a village, is by some counts now Cambodia's second-largest city. Cleary, UNESCO has helped with the preservation of less famous sites, particularly in poorer countries, by providing money and expert assistance, and also placing pressure on governments to protect them. But with the more famous sites, which would have been protected anyway, it has unintentionally encouraged tourist development which may ultimately destroy them.