peckishの空腹度とは?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • SueとTonyが海外旅行を計画している中、Sueがパスポートの申請をすることに気づきます。
  • Tonyはオンラインで簡単に更新できると伝えますが、Sueは初めてのパスポートなので申請が急がないといけないと思います。
  • Sueは小腹がすいているため、食事をする前にパスポートの申請に取り掛かりたいと言います。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

peckishの空腹度

SueとTonyが海外旅行を計画していて、Sueがパスポートを申請しようとしている場面の会話です。 Sue: I've just realised that I don't have a passport. Tony: No sweat. It's really easy to renew it on line. Sue: But I've never had a passport before because I've never been abroad. Tony: Then you'd better hurry up and apply for one. You know that there are always delays at this time of year. Let's call the inquiry line and see what you need. Sue: Don't bother. I'll pick up an application form from a post office. Tony: You're going to need your birth certificate. Bring the original: a photocopy won't do. Let's hurry. We don't want to waste any time. Sue: Can't we get a bit to eat first? I'm peckish. Tony: But you've only just finished breakfast! Sue: I know, but I hate eating on an empty stomach. そこで質問です。peckishというのはどのくらいの空腹度なんでしょうか? starvingほどではないですよね。 ちょっと小腹がすいた程度だとは思うんですが。それから最後の「but I hate eating on an empty stomach.」はどう解釈しますか? これは常に間食していないと落ち着かないということでしょうかね?

noname#47281
noname#47281
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • akijake
  • ベストアンサー率43% (431/992)
回答No.1

こんにちは。 peckishはおっしゃるとおり、「小腹が空いた」程度です。 ちょっとお腹空いちゃって・・・みたいな意味に訳しました。 「but I hate eating on an empty stomach.」 のところは、 空腹になってから物を食べるのが嫌=空腹なるまで物を食べないのは嫌 ということかな、と思ったので、 「いつも満腹じゃないと嫌なんだもん」 「空腹になるまで食べないなんてあり得ない」 みたいな感じかなぁと思いました。 >これは常に間食していないと落ち着かないということでしょうかね と言うことだと思います。

noname#47281
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 Here is the explanation of “peckish” on my book and my comment. Nous connaissons starving pour dire que l'on meurt de faim. Si on est peckish, on a juste une fringale: Let's get a bite to eat. I'm peckish, Mangeons un marceau. J'ai un petit creux. ・・・ Mais fringale doit signifier un faim violent et pressant... ・・・un petit creuxだったら そんなに腹ペコの状態ではないので、ちょっと首を傾げました。 私はSueが 妊娠しているんじゃないかと勝手に邪推していますが、、、 peckishもそうですが、日本の英語の教科書では出てこないような表現が他にもありますよね。一つはDon't bother.ですが、これは「わざわざこんなことをしてくれなくてもいいよ。」くらいの意味ですよね。訳は Ne te donne cette peine.となっていました。それから get a bite to eatもそうですね。意味はつかめるんですが、和訳しにくいですね。

その他の回答 (1)

• akijake
  • ベストアンサー率43% (431/992)
回答No.2

お礼有難う御座います。 1つのDon't bother でも、言い方や場面によっては非常に違った意味に読めてしまうので、注意が必要ですよねぇ・・・。 おっしゃるとおり、わざわざそんな事しなくていいよ、と言う意味もそうですが、 いいってば! 余計な事すんなよ! 放っといてよ。 どうぞ、お構いなく。 ま、いっか。 いいよいいよ、気にしないで。 まあいいや。放っておこうよ。 どうでもいいじゃん。 などなど。同じに見えて微妙にニュアンスが違う使い方ってありますよね。ほんとに挙げればきりがないです。 ここでは、「あ、いいよいいよ」くらいかなぁと読みました。 自分から話題を振っておいて、相手が一生懸命に助言してくれると「あらら、ちょっと聞きたかっただけなのに・・・」と思って「あ、いいやいいや」と話題を終わらせようとする感じじゃないですか?(←私もよくやってしまいます)。 =that's ok. みたいな。 教科書に出て来たことをそのままの意味で覚えてしまうと、間違った訳になってしまうことがあるので、やっぱり実際のこういう例文をたくさん見て、その度にニュアンスを掴むのって大事だなぁと思います。 get/have a bite to eatはたまに聞きますよ(教科書にあったかどうかは定かでありませんが・・・)。 こういうのをうまく訳せるかどうかは、もう日本語の範疇ですよね。 やっぱり日本語もちゃんと勉強しなきゃと思う今日この頃です。 会話するのに日本語にうまく訳す必要はないと思いますが、通訳とかになると重要ですもんね。

noname#47281
質問者

お礼

再度回答ありがとうございます。 Don't bother.はセールスの断り文句でも使えそうですね。日本語だと「結構です。」に近と思うんですが、 「結構です。」を裏手(むしろ文字通り)に取る悪い輩もいますからね。 >教科書に出て来たことをそのままの意味で覚えてしまうと 日本の英語の教科書だったら、「peckish」は 「hungry a little」に、「Don't bother.」は 「You don't have to worry about it.」に、「get a bite to eat」は「eat something a little 」に書き換えるというか、元の日本語文があって これを英語に直訳するので、そういう表現自体 編集者が思いつかないかもしれません。 >こういうのをうまく訳せるかどうかは、もう日本語の範疇ですよね。 意味は分かるが、和訳がピンと来ない時って多いですよね。学校の英語だと和訳が基本になりますが、こういうのって、良い意味で考えれば むしろ英語のニュアンスやフィーリングを掴んでいるということでよね。

関連するQ&A

• 10th Anniversary -Tony and Kate-

Tonyは会議中に緊急の電話だと連絡を受け、受話器を取ります。すると… Tony: Hello, Tony here. Who is this? Kate: Hi, it's me, Tony. Surprise? I was just wondering .. about what time are you gonna come home tonight... I mean, you know, today is our... Tony: Oh, come on! Are you out of your mind? I'm in a meeting right now. I'll call you back later, okay? Kate: Tony, just listen. We've been married for ten years, and I believed that counted for something, but I was wrong. You've never been listening to me, huh? You've been putting off everything even if I... Tony: Hey, hey, give me a break! What are you talking about? .. Wait, Bob wants me right now so I'll call you back in one minute, okay? Kate: Tony, you just don't understand, do you? All right, you don't need to call me any more. Look, you blew it, it's over, it's finished. Tony, I'm leaving you. Dave is expecting me to come over to his place tonight. Let me tell you one thing, I had a tough life with you, I remember the pain but not the love. Tony: Kate, just take it easy, will you? Listen to me, we need to talk about it later. Just give me one minute. We are not even close to finish this... Kate: Absolutely no! Tony, there's nothing I can do for you and say to you any more. And you figure it out! お時間ありましたら、添削などいただけるとうれしいです。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• She is the one who.............

NHKラジオ英会話講座より Dave:You've got to do some sleuthing. Try looking it up in your personal documents,like your marriage certificate, or an old invitation card. Ted:But Sue is the one who organaizes all that stuff. I don't know where she keeps it, and she'd find out that I was rummaging around in our files. (質問) テッドの会話から質問です。 (1)[Sue is the one who..]の[the one]は[Sue]のことを指しているのではありませんか? (2),(1)が正しければ固有名詞(Sue)にtheが付くことになりますが、よくあることですか?  (3)Sue organaizes all that stuff.と同じことでは? (4)[I was rummaging.....]は何故過去形[was]が使われているのか判りません?和訳は「・・、僕たちのファイルを引っかき回していたら彼女にわかっちゃうよ。」です。 初心者にもわかるやさしい説明を期待します。よろしくお願いいたします。以上

• 英語の訳がわかりません。

訳がわからなくて問題が解けません。英語の全部の訳を教えてください。 (トニーはジェニーと自分の仕事についての話です。) Tony and Jenny are talking about Tony's job. Jenny: Hi, Tony. You look exhausted! Tony: I am. I feel really, really tired. Jenny: You're working too hard. You need a vacation. Tony: I know. I'd love some time off. But I only started my job five months ago. I can't take a vacation yet. Jenny: What time did you finish work last night? Tony: Eight o'clock. Jenny: You shouldn't work so late. You ought to leave at six― at the latest. Tony: But I have so much to do. Working late is the only way I can get everything done. Jenny: Well, I still think you need a break. What about taking a few days off? It would do you a world of good. Tony: Hmm. Maybe you're right. I'll talk to my boss about it.

• override my own worries

I have an upcoming long-weekend visit with my spouse, my two siblings and their spouses. We haven't seen one another in years. I have gained a lot of weight in the interim, and I am very self-conscious. Should I just not mention it? What if they make snide comments? I have a long-term, binge-eating disorder that they don't know about. I don't want to be dreading this weekend, but I'm wringing my hands. Any advice? -- The Elephant in the Room Dear The Elephant in the Room: You might want to contact your siblings in advance to let them know that you have been wrestling with an eating disorder, and that you've gained weight over the years. Be transparent about this, and convey, very simply, "I'm pretty self-conscious about this, but I'm so excited about seeing all of you that I'm overriding my own worries. I'm overriding my own worriesは「心配を通り越して心配していない」ということでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• この英文を和訳するとどうなりますか?

Can I take it That you don't need my help And I am finally absolved a value I can face it, but I don't need anyone else Nobody does it like you do And for all the others There'll be better days ahead And while I recover I'll be wishing I was dead I've lost myself along with everyone else And now the safest place is here in my head But I've been left on my own to survive But I'm wishing I was dead Well I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong I plan to stay back, but not for long The time has passed and other things has changed So I gotta grow wings or die I don't need another reason not to die in life Tell me if I'm doing it right this time But let me know, what did you change Do you feel the same? Did it ease your pain? I've lost myself along with everyone else And now the safest place is here in my head But I've been left on my own to survive But I'm wishing I was dead You say you hate it, but you can't really tell The future is smiling right at you I'm not gonna make it, so you should save yourselfs There's no time to tell you I miss you You lack for new a frontier But I decided to stay back here Inviting my time by waiting it out Looking up to the sky this fight These weakly wings that will never take flight I don't even have the lungs to shout But I need to know, what did you change Do you feel the same? Did it ease your pain? I've lost myself along with everyone else And now the safest place is here in my head But I've been left on my own to survive But I'm wishing I was dead

• この英語の訳を教えてください。

「I don't hate snake like you hate me.」 普通に訳したらなんか変な日本語になっちゃうんですけど、これって何か意味があるんですかね? 良かったらお答え願います。

• 訳をお願い致します

my good Lord,how are you?Very well,thankyou.I have more letters from you. I've wanted to return them to you for a long time. Please take them. I never sent you any letters. My Lord,you know very well that they're yours.Please take them.Are you an honest woman?I don't understand. An honest woman must forget that she's pretty.prettiness can make an honest woman bad, but honesty cannot make a pretty woman good.In the past,I found that hard to believe. Now I know that it's true.I was in love with you. I believed you.

• What's eating (at) you?

NHK実践ビジネス英語で「蝕む・破壊する」という意味の他動詞”eat”のを使った例文として”What’s eating you?”が登場します。が、一方で、” what's eating at you.”と前置詞atを伴う自動詞としても出てきます。どちらもWeb検索で出てきますが、両方の表現はどういう違いがあるのですか? eat vt.2.破壊する、蝕む、<虫などが>食って<穴を>あける eat at~の部分を食いちぎる、~を食いつぶす Fine: Once you realize your blood pressure is rising, you've get a problem. However, you've got to check out your own behavior before you blame other people for what's eating at you. If you don't like your job, you could be blaming the people, instead of the work, for your dissatisfaction. @ 2007年5月L3(1) 「けれども、自分の悩みを人のせいにして責める前に、自分の振る舞いを省みる必要がありますね。」 Tony Hughes: What's eating you, Jay? You look more than slightly peeved. @ 2009年9月L12(1) 「どうしていらいらしているのですか、Jay。」 ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• 翻訳お願いします

どなたか英語の得意な方、下記英文を翻訳していただけないでしょうか? I'm good but busy. I have a special project I'm working on right now. How are you? I hate to do this but I feel I should be 100% honest with you. You are a very nice person and I enjoy teaching you in class, but I just don't feel like pursuing a relationship outside with you. I'm really sorry. I really hope we can still enjoy chatting at Sannomiya school. :-) Take care.

• Big Girls Don't Cryの歌詞

こんにちは。 Fergieの曲「Big Girls Don't Cry」で We've got some straightenin' out to do And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket But I've got to get a move on with my life という部分があります。 I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket は"a child"なのに何故"their" blanketなのですか? I'm gonna miss you like children miss their blanket なら納得がいきます。 歌詞だと三人称の"s"をつけなかったり、"it doesn't"を"it don't"としたりするのでその類いでしょうか。 よろしくお願いします。