Why is 'of' used in the phrase 'of which'?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Find out the meaning and usage of the phrase 'of which' in the sentence.
  • Learn why the preposition 'of' is used before 'which' in this context.
  • Discover the grammatical structure and function of 'of which' in the given sentence.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

invert

I have a friend who consistently misspells my name on texts and social media. (It’s written out right there!) I have a simple, four-letter name, of which they invert two of the letters. I have a simple, four-letter name, of which they invert two of the letters. の和訳を教えてください。なぜofという前置詞が使われているのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4115/5350)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9719/12087)
回答No.2

>I have a simple, four-letter name, of which they invert two of the letters. の和訳を教えてください。なぜofという前置詞が使われているのでしょうか? ⇒(訳) 「私は単純な4文字の名前を持っているのですが、彼らはその文字のうちの2つを入れ替えてしまうのです」。 of whichのof は普通に「~の」です。whichは、もちろん関係代名詞で、先行詞はfour-letter nameですから、of which they invert two of the lettersの部分を、whichを使わずに書けば、two of the letters of (my) four-letter nameとなります。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• lifeの意味

Letters in themselves are not language, but merely symbols which are used for the sounds of which language is composed. There is no life or meaning in written symbols in themselves; but they must be translated, as it were, into the sounds for which they stand before they become language or have any meaning. 2文目のlifeなんですが、どう訳したらいいんでしょか。書かれた記号そのものにはlifeあるいは意味がない・・・ このlifeは・・・

• 日本語訳お願いします。

Thought I seldom answer the telephone, I always answer a letter. I like writing to people I have never met,gradually finding out their interests in life and their personalities. I have made many new friends in this way but I have never made a friend for a telephone call. Writing letters is becoming a lost art. People make the excuse that they have no time to sit down and compose an interesting letter,just as they say they never have time to read books. Yet they find time to do all kinds of useless things:they waste half their lives in unnecessary activities.

• 急いでいます!!

Q1,( )内の文字から始まる単語を入れてください。 1,I (t) letters have some good points. 2,It takes a few (d) to send a letter ,but letters make us happy. Q2,( )内の単語を適する形にしてください。 1,(Two),sending e-mail doesn't take time. 2,Only a few minutes are (need).

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします (10) To address the water problem, the villagers tried to dig a well. They dug, and they dug and they dug. The well stretched 33 feet across and plummeted 170 feet down, with a descending spiral staircase cut into the rock wall. And still they never struck water. Finally, they gave up. The dry hole became a trash pit. The villagers filled it to the rim with, among other things, hundreds of records and letters written on pieces of broken pots―notes that give us a peek into the past. There are woeful letters from father to son ("I am wretched; I am searching for my sight but it is gone") and letters between lifelong friends ("since I was a child until today, I have been with you..."). There are shopping lists ("seek out for me one tunic in exchange for the ring; I will allow you ten days") and promises to do homework ("I will do it! See, I will do it, I will do it!"). Some things never change.

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします (10) We now know that the tablets are indeed letters―letters addressed to the king of Egypt more than 3,300 years ago, and copies of the replies he sent back. Nimmuriya is none other than Amenhotep III. And those chicken scratches are inscriptions written in the diplomatic language of the time, the language of ancient Babylon. Scholars today call the tablets the Amarna Letters―a priceless collection of letters between Egypt and its neighbors in the Near East. The mud bricks the peasant woman used for fertilizer once formed walls to an ancient Egyptian foreign office at Amarna―the House of the Correspondence of Pharaoh. And the stash of tablets was a file full of records stored there. Fewer than 400 survived outof who knows how many. The letters cover a timespan of nearly 30 years, from late in Amenhotep III's reign into his son's reign. The letters reveal greed and grievances. They detail petty fights and political alliances―30 years of diplomatic correspondence bdtween heads of state. (11) Scholars have divided the letters into two groups according to the opening words that led Budge to believe the tablets were letters. Some of the letters were between the king of Egypt and independent foreign rulers who considered themselves the king's equal. They opened their letters by addressing he king as "brother." (12) The second group of tablets begins quite differently. These senders wouldn't have dared to assume that they were brothers of the king, but merely "your servant, the dust of your two feet." The groveling continued for many lines. These chiefs of foreign lands under the king's dominion, or vassals, were so fearful of offending they don't even address the king by name, but instead called him "my king, my sun."

• I can lend you two books both of which are very good. はなぜ非文か

(1) 次の文1(”both of which” の前にカンマ「あり」)はよく目にしますし、尋ねてみたnativeたちもOKだといいます。 1. I can lend you two books, both of which are very good. (2) 一方、次の文2 (”both of which” の前にカンマ『なし』))は私自身見かけることはなかったように思いますし、尋ねてみたnativeたちも非文だといいます。 2. I can lend you two books both of which are very good. (3) かたや、次の文3(”the title of which” の前にカンマ『なし』)は相当『堅い』文体ではありますが、文法的に正しい英文のようです。 3. He’s written a book the name of which I’ve forgotten. (Michael Swan著 “Practical English Grammar” (OUP), p.481より) ● 質問です。書き言葉で、 ・ ”「名詞」 of which” の文3は、前にカンマなしで文法的に「正しい」 のに、他方 ・ ”「数量表現」 of which” の文2は、前にカンマなしでは文法的に「正しくない」 ということになるのでしょうか?  何かヒントをいただけるとうれしいです。

• 文法 関係詞

I got two writing assignments week,neither of which I have started yet. neither of whichの代わりに neither one of them は使えないのでしょうか?

• どこが間違っているのかわかりません。

並べ替えの問題を解いていたとき、疑問に思ったことがあります。 私は参考図書を2冊もっているが、役に立つ方をとっておくつもりです。 I have two reference books, the more useful of which I intend to keep. この文を have two reference books, which I intend to keep the more useful of. と書き換えるとどこが文法的に間違っているのでしょうか。

• 残念です...

"あなたに手紙を書いていたけど、渡せなくて残念です。"は どの様な文になるのでしょうか。 I've written a letter for you...??

• 英語和訳

1:They mentioned two famous tourist spots, neither of which we have visited as yet. 2:We tend to feel uncomfortable with people whose behavior is radically different from our own. 3:This is a game the rules of which I am quite ignorant of. 4:His portrait,which the painter claimed was based on memory,does not really resemble the poet. 5:There are few places downtown for parking which is really a problem. 訳をお願いします