The Story of the Abandoned Well: A Glimpse into the Past

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Villagers' Failed Attempt to Dig a Well Reveals a Treasure Trove of Letters and Records
  • A Dry Hole Transformed into a Trash Pit Holds a Peek into the Lives of the Past
  • Discoveries in the Abandoned Well Shed Light on Ancient Relationships and Daily Life
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

日本語訳を!

お願いします (10) To address the water problem, the villagers tried to dig a well. They dug, and they dug and they dug. The well stretched 33 feet across and plummeted 170 feet down, with a descending spiral staircase cut into the rock wall. And still they never struck water. Finally, they gave up. The dry hole became a trash pit. The villagers filled it to the rim with, among other things, hundreds of records and letters written on pieces of broken pots―notes that give us a peek into the past. There are woeful letters from father to son ("I am wretched; I am searching for my sight but it is gone") and letters between lifelong friends ("since I was a child until today, I have been with you..."). There are shopping lists ("seek out for me one tunic in exchange for the ring; I will allow you ten days") and promises to do homework ("I will do it! See, I will do it, I will do it!"). Some things never change.

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.4

(10) 水の問題に対処するために、村人は井戸を掘ろうとしました。 彼らは掘って、掘って、掘りまくりました。 井戸は、直径33フィート、深さ170フィートで、下ってゆく螺旋階段を岩壁に刻んでいました。 しかし、彼らが、水脈につきあたることは決してありませんでした。 とうとう、彼らは諦めました。 水の湧かない穴は、ゴミ穴になりました。村人は、その穴を縁まで(ゴミで)埋めました、とりわけ、割れた壺の破片に書かれた、数百の記録や書簡で埋めたのでした ― 我々に過去を垣間見せてくれる書簡でした。 父からの息子への悲しい手紙があります(「私は哀れである; 私は視力を捜し求めていますが、それはなくなりました」)、また、生涯の友人の間の手紙もあります(「子供の頃から今日まで、私はあなたと共にありました ... )。買い物のリストもあります(「指輪と引きかえに私のために1着のチュニック[横を縫いつけた2枚の長方形の布を肩で結び、ウエストでベルトをしたゆったりした内衣]を捜してください; 私は、あなたに10日与えます」)、それから、宿題をするという約束もあります(「私は、それをします! 見ていて下さい。私はそれをします、私はそれをします!」)。 いつの時代にも変わらぬものがある様です。 ☆http://okwave.jp/qa/q7821028.html 以降の質問への回答は、今晩(11月29日の夜)以降になります。ご了承ください。

chiyotomo
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (3)

• Him-hymn
  • ベストアンサー率66% (3489/5257)
回答No.3

水問題に取り組もうとして、村民は井戸を掘ってみた。掘って、掘って、掘り続け、井戸の大きさは直径10メートル、深さ52メートルにもなった。螺旋階段が岩場の井戸の下へと降りていた。それでもなお、水に到達せず、最後はとうとう諦めてしまった。  水のない穴はゴミ捨て場となった。いろいろなものがある中に、井戸の縁まで何百という壊れた土器の破片に書かれた記録や文字--我々が過去を垣間見るような走り書き--でいっぱいにした。父から息子へのひどい手紙もある(おれは不幸な人間だ、自分の視力を求めているが、ダメだ、盲目だ)。生涯の友の間の手紙のやりとりには、「おまえと一緒にやってきたのは、今まで子供だったからだよ」  ショッピングリストもある。(指輪とチュニックとの交換を求む。10日間の猶予があります。)宿題の約束まである(「ぼく、やるよ! やるったら、やるよ!)決して変らないものもある。

• ann2000
  • ベストアンサー率27% (3/11)
回答No.2

水問題に対処するために、村民は井戸を掘ろうとしました。 彼らは掘りました、そして、彼らは掘りました、そして、彼らは掘りました。 井戸は直径33フィートを広げて、下に、下っている螺旋階段を岩壁に切って、170フィート急落しました。 そして、しかし、彼らは水を決してたたきませんでした。 最後に、彼らはやめました。 無産出油井は、ゴミ穴になりました。 とりわけ、過去に我々に覗き見をする壊れた部分に書かれる何百もの記録と手紙で、村民はそれを縁に満たしました。 父からの息子への悲しい手紙があります(「私は哀れです」; 私は視力を捜しています、しかし、それはなくなります」)、そして、生涯の友人の間の手紙∥(「今日までの子供であった時から、私はあなたといました ... )。 購入品目リストがあります(「リングと引きかえに私のために1着のチュニックを捜してください; 私は、10日をあなたに与えます」)、そして、宿題をするという約束∥(「私は、それをします! 確かめてください。私はそれをします、私はそれをします!」)。 若干のものは、決して変わりません。

回答No.1

(10) 水問題に対処するために、村民は井戸を掘ろうとしました。彼らは掘りました、そして、彼らは掘りました、そして、彼らは掘りました。井戸は直径33フィートを広げて、下に、下っている螺旋階段を岩壁に切って、170フィート急落しました。そして、しかし、彼らは水を決してたたきませんでした。最後に、彼らはやめました。無産出油井は、ゴミ穴になりました。とりわけ、過去に我々に覗き見をする壊れたpots―メモの部分に書かれる何百もの記録と手紙で、村民はそれを縁に満たしました。父からの息子への悲しい手紙があります(「私は哀れです」;私は視力を捜しています、しかし、それはなくなります」)、そして、生涯の友人の間の手紙∥(「今日までの子供であった時から、私はあなたといました...)。購入品目リストがあります(「リングと引きかえに私のために1着のチュニックを捜してください;私は、10日をあなたに与えます」)、そして、宿題をするという約束∥(「私は、それをします!確かめてください。私はそれをします、私はそれをします!」)。 若干のものは、決して変わりません。  

関連するQ&A

• 日本語訳お願いします。

Let them get on with this job in the way that seems most sensible to them,with our help as school teachers if they ask for it. The idea that there is a body of knowledge to be learnt at school and used for the rest of one's life is nonsence in a world as complicated and rapidly changing as ours. Anxious parents and teachers say,゛But suppose they fail to learn something essential,something they will need to get on in the world?" Don't worry! If it is essential,they will go out into the world and learn it.

• 日本語訳をお願いします。

至急こちらをお願いします。 The thought of havingto cook dinner at the end of a a long day is sometimes almost more than your tired parents can bear-even with the help of grocery stores,refrigerators,and microwave ovens.Imagine what it must have been like in he ancient village of Mehrgarh.Not only was there no fast food,there weren't even any pots or pans.For the village's first 1,500 years,vilkagers cooked their fond,using nothing more than hot stomes,baskets,and perhaps leather sacks.Every cook must have wished a hundred times for some kind of vessel that could be put directly over the fire,that could hold water better than a bitumen-coated basket,and that a rat couldn't chew through. About 5500 BCE,the villagers realized that a solutiom o the problem of cooking and food storage was right at their feet-the fine,silty mud called clay.They dug it out of its slippery deposits by the river with digging sticks,then pounded it to bits and dried it in the hot sun for a couple of days.Then they sifted it to remove any small rocks or leaves,kneaded it with water until it formed large balls,then covered the balls with a damp cloth.For several days,water seeped into the clay.Then it was finally ready to shape into a pot or a smalk human or animal figure.

• 日本語訳を!!(4)

お願いします (1) It was 493 BCE, and Rome's wealthy landowners were in a panic. They had held the reins of government of the new Republic while the workers (also called plebeians─or plebs, for short) farmed the land. The workers claimed that the rich were useless─that they did nothing except wait for the hardworking poor to feed and serve them. The landowners ignored these complaints at first. (2) But the plebeians began to abandon their plows and move into the city. There they became craftsmen, traders, and hired workers. As city folk, they no longer had to depend completely upon the landowners for survival. Now they were free to complain and demand greater equality between rich and poor. Justice, they believed, should be the same for everyone. And so they took action. They left the city in huge number and went to the Sacred Mount, a hilltop several Miles northeast of Rome. This got the landowners' attention! (3) Suddenly, the fear of war loomed large. What if an enemy attacked Rome? The landowners, also called patricians, could provide the generals to lead an army. But what good is a general with no men to command, no soldiers to fight? What’s more: with the workers gone, who would make sandals, weave cloth, tend chickens, and sell fish? Who would run the roadside inns, bake bread, drive mules, load wagons, and dye cloth for beautiful clothes? Rome couldn't survive without the work of ordinary citizens, and the aristocrats knew it. (4) The historian Livy tells how Rome's leaders solved the crisis of the workers' walkout. They sent Agrippa Menenius, a smooth talker who was popular with the people, to the Sacred Mount to talk to the rebels. Menenius told them a story about an imaginary time when each body part had its own ideas and could talk to one another. But the body parts didn't always agree and sometimes refused to work together. For example, the hands of this strange body sometimes argued with the feet, and the mouth sometimes disagreed with the teeth.

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします (22) In his fervor for the Aten, Akhenaten forgot Egypt. The city of Amarna was like the royal firstborn son who took all the attention. The rest of Egypt became the second son, ignored and neglected. Egyptians outside Amarna were paying taxes to build a city they would never see, dedicated to a god they did not want. (23) Egypt's foreign subjects fell one by one to outside conquerors. The Amarna letters flooded in with pleas for help. They fell on deaf ears. One poor prince wrote at least 64 times, "Why will you neglect our land?" (24) Akhenaten had inherited an empire but left a country in decline. After his death the new capital was abandoned. The kings who followed Akhenaten demolished his temples and erased his name. Once Amarna had been stripped of stone it was forgotten and left to crumble. The sun had set on he Amarna Period.

• 日本語訳が分かりません。

以下の英文を日本語に訳し、さらに英語で返事をしないといけないのですが意味がよく理解できません。 どなたか教えてください。 By the way do you know that in the capital city of Japan they do a kind of experiment with a mouse (which they excise some genes) so that the mouse it not afraid or scared anymore of cats. Which this the scientists want and proved that the fear of the mouse is inborn or naturaly. And that when you just "removed" that gene it will not try to escape. So what do you think about it?is it not incredible. I mean if they can do this also with us human beings then they can "remove" all the fear that we have on certainly or particulary things. 私が分かる範囲では、 「By the way do you know that in the capital city of Japan they do a kind of experiment with a mouse (which they excise some genes) so that the mouse it not afraid or scared anymore of cats.」 ・・・ところであなたは日本の首都を知っていますか。彼らはexperimentの一種でねずみと一緒です。そしてそのねずみは猫のそんなに怖い物ではなかった。 「Which this the scientists want and proved that the fear of the mouse is inborn or naturaly.」 ・・・どの科学者はそれが欲しく、供給したかったのか....? 「And that when you just "removed" that gene it will not try to escape.」 ・・・...? 「So what do you think about it?is it not incredible.」 ・・・あなたはこれについてどう思いますか? 「I mean if they can do this also with us human beings then they can "remove" all the fear that we have on certainly or particulary things.」 ・・・もし彼らがこれをまた人間の初めとしてできたのなら...? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 日本語訳お願いします。

Thought I seldom answer the telephone, I always answer a letter. I like writing to people I have never met,gradually finding out their interests in life and their personalities. I have made many new friends in this way but I have never made a friend for a telephone call. Writing letters is becoming a lost art. People make the excuse that they have no time to sit down and compose an interesting letter,just as they say they never have time to read books. Yet they find time to do all kinds of useless things:they waste half their lives in unnecessary activities.

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします (6) The Hyksos army was made up of professional soldiers. They drove chariots, wore body armor and leather helmets, and wielded bows designed to shoot arrows farther than ordinary wooden bows. It's no surprise that the Hyksos beat the Egyptians in those first battles. But the Egyptians learned from the encounters. They stole the ddsign of the chariot from the Hyksos and then improved upon it. The Egyptians made the chariot lighter. The redesign positioned the driver over the axle and they covered the wooden axle with metal so that it turned more smoothly. These changes made it easier for the horse to pull the chariot. The driver stood, holding onto straps for balance, with a soldier at his side. The soldier held a shield and was armed with a bow and arrows, a sword, and a javelin. The back of the chariot was open so that the charioteers could jump out with ease and engage in hand-to-hand combat with the enemy. (7) The Egyptians trained. They held battle competitions in front of the king. Archers shot at targets. Wrestlers grappled with one another. Swordsmen clashed blades. What had once been a rag-tag scrabble of men became an organized military. But they still had work to do on their style of waging war. Before a battle, the Egyptians notified the enemy which day they planned to attack and where. If the enemy wasn't ready, the Egyptians rescheduled. And if the enemy retreated into their fortress, rather than rudely barging in, the Egyptians would patiently wait outside hoping to starve them out. Unfortunately, Egypt's enemies weren't always as courteous.

• 日本語訳を!

お願いします (12) The most extreme punishment was death and destruction of the corpse so there would be no entry to the afterlife. Execution was a cheap way of getting rid of criminals. Egyptians were not willing to pay to house and feed lawbreakers. Prisons were used only for those waiting for trial or waiting for their punishment. They were never used as they are today as the punishment. If the punishment was execution, the method was most often impalement on a wooden stake or, less often, burning. The most severe punishments were applied to crimes against the state. It wasn't wise to mess with the king's property―and, technically speaking, everything hn Egypt belonged to the king. The king would not tolerate such a challenge to his authority. The offender was punished not only as an example to others, but also to reaffirm the king's supreme power. (13) Government investigators had the right to arrest and question suspects. If they doubted the testimony of a witness, they had the right to torture him, and the investigators didn't hesitate to do it. Peasants accepted flogging as a part of life. Teachers beat students, overseers beat servants, police beat suspects. Even tax collectors were armed with sticks for beating tax delinquents.

• 日本語訳を! 6-(3)

お願いします。 (8) With so much to lose, the Egyptians came up with a cheat sheet. During the Old Kingdom, only pharaohs could get into the Field of Reeds. Not wanting to risk forgetting a name or a spell, the kings had the answers to all the questions, along with all the magic spells, buried with them. We call the book of spells from the Old Kingdom the Pyramid Texts. During the Middle Kingdom, when the Field of Reeds was open to everyone, the spell were conveniently written on the sides of the coffins. We call those the Coffin Texts. In the New Kingdom the spells were written on scrolls and buried with the body. The words written during the New Kingdom are now known as the Book of the Dead. The Egyptians thought of every possible unpleasantness and wrote spells to protect against it. They even had a spell that prevented them from having to stand on their head and eat feces―or step in some. "What I detest is feces, and I will not eat it... and I will not touch it with my toes." Obviously the ancients weren't taking chances on anything less than a perfect afterlife.

• 日本語訳をお願いします 3

お願いします!! 続き Have you ever met someone who looks totally ordinary,but turns out to have a really interesting life? Maybe she plays in a rock band.Or he designs theme park rides.The people of the Indus civilization left no great monuments behind.But that's because they were too busy making a good life for themselves,lives whose richness was in the living,not the stuff they left behind.It wasn't until the early 1920s that archaeologists realized that there might be more in the mounds of crumbling brick than met the eye.And so,30 years after Sir Alexander Cunningham's death in 1893,archaeologists finally rediscovered the great city nf Harappa. Harappa was built on a low ridge between the Ravi and Satluj Rivers.It was a good location for a city.The land was fertile and villagers could hunt for animals and gather wood for fuel in the ndarby forests.The rivers kept the fields around the city well watered,and the mud from floods made the land fertile.Lakes full of fish sparkled in the distance.Traveling merchants liked to stop in Harappa,where they could get a good meal and a snug bed safe behind the mud-brick city walls. As it happens,Harappa's city walls are as mysterious as its script,the signs and symbols Cunningham found on the stone seal.Building and taking care of town walls must have been expensive and complicated.The earliest city wall at Harappa was 8 feet wide (2.5 meters) and may have stood more than 13 feet (4 meters) high.Archaeologists have added up the work hours required to dig the clay,shape and dry the mud bricks,mix the mortar that joined the bricks together,bring materials to the site by oxcart,and then actually build the wall.They estimate that it would have taken more than 500 people a full three months to construct a city wall when Harappa was still a small city.The city walls must have been very important-but why?