What Should a Woman Do If She Wants to Have a Child Despite Genetic Diseases?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Doctors have developed a process to test embryos for genetic defects, allowing parents to select healthy embryos for implantation.
  • A woman carrying a gene for a rare form of Alzheimer's disease wanted to have a family and underwent embryo screening, giving birth to a healthy daughter.
  • Experts have differing opinions on whether individuals with genetic diseases should have children, considering factors such as the ability to care for them and quality of life.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

困っています。

問題:次の文章を読んで、設問に答えなさい。 For a decade or more, doctors have been able to test embryos for certain genetic defects, discard the bad ones and put the good ones in the mother`s body. About 700 children in the U.S. have been born as a result of this process. Those who seek such screenig are usually carriers of genetic diseases, have seen severe genetic illnesses in their families, and want to protect their children from suffering. Consider the case of the woman who carried a gene for a rare from of Alzheimer`s disease that would cause her to develop the disease before age 40. But she wanted a family. So at age 30 she had her embryos screened at a clinic and 9 months later gave birth to a daughter who is free of the gene. This case raises major questions. Who should have chidren. Who should decide. One expert questioned the woman`s decision to have children at all, since she would soon be unable to take care of them, and they would have to suffer through her illness and death. Another expert questioned the woman`s decision based on issues of quality of life. This expert felt that the future facing the children was too break, the loss of their mother too inevitable and too great to bear. Other experts supported the woman`s decision. One expert said, "We can`t promise children that they will always have two parents to care for them. Accidents happen, sickness occur, people get divorced." This expert suggested that it is not the position of the state to make decisions about who can or cannot have children. Other experts support her decision based on quality of life issues. One such expert felt that diseases which occured late in life are somehow different. The woman has 40 good years to live and enjoy The possibilities of those years, including childbearing, should be respected. 設問:In 100-150 words in English, answer the following question. "What should a woman who carries a genetic diseases do if she wants to have a child?" この問題について、解説とヒントをお願いします!

noname#126371
noname#126371
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.2

#1.です。返事が遅くなりすみません。 医学の進歩により、遺伝病の様な難病を抱えた患者も、スクリーニングによって問題の遺伝子を持たない子供を出産できるようになったこと。 しかし専門家の間でも、子供を育ててゆく責任を取れない難病患者が子供を持つことに対する賛否両論があること。   この様な内容の文を読んだ後に、「遺伝病を持つ女性が子供を持ちたいと思う時どうすべきか」と言う質問がされていたので、あまり深く考えずに、私は「産むべきだ」という論旨で解答をしてみました。解答例をお誉めいただいて恐縮です。もちろん「産むべきでない」と言う論旨でも解答できると思います。 How should a woman ... で質問すれば、do は自動詞、What should a woman ... で質問すれば、do は他動詞と言うことになると思いますが、参考にするべき本文とあまりかけ離れた解答になっていなければ、解答はある程度自由ではないでしょうか? また What do you think about it? / How do you feel about it? と尋ねるべきところを、マスコミの海外特派員の方でさえ日本人はどうしても How do you think about it? と質問している風景を時々みかけるのを思い出しました。 私の解答例ですが「産むべきだ」の論旨を展開するには、論旨をサポートする本文からの引用が少なく「あまりいい解答は書けないな~」と思いながら書いていました。また難しい単語を使っていないのは、難しい単語を私が知らないからです。昔有名な同時通訳者の方のエッセイを読んだ時、その方の駆け出しの時代に「研究社の和英大辞典」の極力難しい単語を使って作文していた時代があったと書いていました。そうでもしなければなかなか難易度の高い単語を覚えるのは大変だろうと思って読んだ記憶があります。もちろん普通和文英訳の参考書などでは、難しい表現を使わずに、平易な表現で文法のミスのない文を書くことを勧めていますが。 それから私の仕事のことですが、以前小さな塾をしていました。 数年前から高齢の母親の介護が忙しくなり、生徒さんにも迷惑をかけてはいけないので、ここのところ教室は開店休業状態が続いています。塾は学校とは違い生徒さんにも先生を選ぶ自由があるという点では優れていると思います。最近始めたPCを使って、このようなQ&Aサイトで自身の無能を省みず、回答させていただくことが数少ない日々変化してゆく世の中とのかすかな接点となっており感謝している今日この頃です。

noname#126371
質問者

お礼

わざわざどうもありがとうございました。 この問題にもう一週間近く悩んでいまして、ようやく前に進めそうです。 自分もやはり「How should a woman~do?」と「What should a woman~do?」の違いをちゃんと理解してなかったみたいです。でも、saysheさんのおかげですっきりしました。 本当に感謝しています。大学受験まで後残り数少ないのに、今になってめちゃくちゃ焦ってます。英作文なんて自分ひとりでは勉強できないし、でも自分の受験校の青山学院や明治学院では英作文が余裕で出てくるので、とても焦ってました。本当に頼りになります。 やはりそういう方でしたか。さすがだな、と思います。 お母様の介護、きっと色々と大変なことがあると思います。(自分はまだそういうことを知らないガキンチョなので上手くいえませんが…)。でも、お母様も大変なことを色々と乗り越えつつ親を支えようとするsaysheさんのことを誇らしく思っていると思いますし、そんな子どもを持ったお母様は幸せ者だと思います。 自分の母親は今もうるさいくらい毎日元気で「これから先、動けなくなることなんてあるのかな?」と思うくらいです。でも、自分の塾や赤本、参考書などの費用を賄うために一日中働き帰ってきて、座椅子に座って眠っている母を見ると、なんだか申し訳なく思うし、親にこれだけ迷惑をかけているのだから親が認めるようなすごい大学に入りたいと常に思っています。今のところ第一志望は早稲田大学で、親のため、それから何よりも自分のために絶対に合格してやる!と思っています。 なんだか、変な話になってしまってすみません。でも、介護が必要な母親を支えつつこうして教育に携わっているsaysheさんに正直感動しました。自分も将来教育に携わる仕事につこうと考えています。そのときはsaysheさんを見習おうと思います。 話は長くなりましたが、とにかく本当にありがとうございました。これからも英作文の添削を頼むことがあるので、そのときはぜひ宜しくお願いいたします。

その他の回答 (1)

• sayshe
  • ベストアンサー率77% (4555/5904)
回答No.1

<和訳例> 10年以上の間、医師は胚を特定の遺伝的な障害を見つけるため検査して、悪いものを捨てて、良いものを母体に入れることができた。アメリカのおよそ700人の子供たちは、このプロセスの結果として生まれた。そのようなスクリーニング(選別)を求める人々は、通常遺伝病の保有者で、彼らの家族のひどい遺伝的な病気を見て、自分たちの子供たちを苦しみから保護したいと思っている。 年齢40歳前に発病するアルツハイマー病の珍しい型の遺伝子を持つ女性のケースを考えてみよう。しかし、彼女は家族を望んだ。それで、30歳で、彼女は自分の胚をクリニックで選別してもらい、9ヵ月後に、遺伝子を含まない娘を出産した。 この事例は、大きな疑問を引き起こしている。誰が子供を持つべきか。誰が決定すべきか。 1人の専門家がそもそも子供を持つということを女性が決めることに疑念を持った、というのは彼女は子供の世話をすることが間もなくできなくなるからであり、子供は彼女の病気と死のために苦しまなければないからである。もう一人の専門家は、生活の質と言う問題に基づいて女性が決めることを疑った。この専門家は、子供が向き合う将来があまりに暗く、母を失うことはあまりに不可避で重大過ぎて耐えられないと感じた。 他の専門家は、女性が決定することを支持した。1人の専門家は言った、「我々は子供たちに彼らを気にかける2人の親が常にいることを約束できない。事故は起こり、病気も発生し、人々は離婚する」誰が子供を持て、あるいは誰が持てないかを決めることは国家の立場ではないと提言した。他の専門家は、生活の質問題に基づく彼女の決定を支持している。そのような専門家の一人は、人生後半に発病する病気は幾分異なると感じた。成人女性には生きて、楽しむ歳月が40年以上ある。出産を含むそれらの歳月の可能性は尊重されるべきである。 <解答例> I think she should have a child if she really wants to have one. Of course she must have embryos screened at a clinic before she gives birth to a baby. Even if she is not able to see her child grow up, she enables her child to have his or her own future. Her child's future may be severe, but I believe he or she has the chance to struggle his or her way out of such severe circumstances and succeed in life. Some may be harsh to him or her, but others may support and help him or her. Life always has its ups and downs. I hope the world is not such a bad place to live in. [121 words]

noname#126371
質問者

補足

ものすごく参考になりました。和訳例までつけてくださり、ありがとうございます。 解答例も難しい単語を一つも使っておらず、なのに構造もしっかりしていて分かりやすいものだと思いました。ようやく書けるものが見えてきました。もしかして、先生か何かやっていらっしゃる方でしょうか? しかし一つ疑問が残りました。自分が元々この解答に困ったのが、設問そのもので、 「What should a woman carries a genetic disease do if she wants to have a child?」 遺伝性の病気をもたらす女の人が子供を持ちたいと思うなら、彼女は何をするべきか? 設問の和訳が合っているかどうか、ちょっと自信ないですが……この「彼女は何をするべきか?」に困りました。何をするべきか?と設問で聞かれているので、子供を産むか産まないかを聞いているわけではない。もっと違う具体的な行動を聞かれてるのかな、と自分はそう捉えてしまい、よく分からなくなってしまったのです 「How should a woman ~ do?」(どうするべきか?)なら、産むべきだとかいえるのですが…… それとも自分の解釈が間違っているのでしょうか?saysheさんの解答例どおり、産むか産まないかを書けばいいのでしょうか? ここがどうしても知りたいので、もしよろしければもう一度教えてください。お返事待ってます。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳お願いします!

JAPAN TIMESの記事よりわからない箇所がありました。 Japan is in dire need of role models who manage to have a large family and find happens there, of a society that makes it possible for mothers, single or attached, to work and thrive. France, for one country, is striving to create such a society, and achieved, in 2006, the highest birthrate in Europe, at 2,01 children per woman of childbearing age. In contrast,in much of southern Europe, even where government policies have aided woman,People's condescending attitudes to single mothers and children born out of wedlock have kept birthrate low. 長文でお手数おかけしますが、どなたかお答えいただけたら嬉しいです!

• 英文和訳 大学入試

(1) A teacher who grades the class on a sliding scale with A’s going to the children who complete the most problems correctly or write the most imaginative or sophisticated papers and B's, C's and D's awarded to the other children as their work compares to that of the A children, is setting up a competitive situation that will defeat some children all of the time. with A’s going to the childrenここが不明です。また、as their work compares to that of the A childrenここも不明、thatは何を示している? (2) A child who does not excel in this group might have been one of the pacesetters of the class had he just come along one year sooner or later and had lesser or different competition. 仮定法なのはわかりますが、 had lesser or different competition.ここの訳し方がわかりません。平常文?になおすとif he come along lesser or different competitionになるんでしょうか?

• よろしくお願いします

I was making small talk at a work function when a woman asked if I had children. I said no. She expressed pity that I hadn't experienced life's greatest joy and said she couldn't understand why women these days prioritize careers over family. She added that parenthood is a prerequisite for being a good manager since women without children lack the maturity necessary to lead teams. Carolyn, it wasn't my choice not to have kids, and this is a painful subject for me. In my 20s, I would have brushed this off and changed the subject, but now I am in my 40s struggling to save for retirement on a salary that falls far below that of my married-with-children peers in the same profession. I have been passed over even though I have always had outstanding performance evaluations. I am always expected to work overtime and take a hit for the team because I don't have kids, yet I am also resented and belittled for it. So, this time I calmly asked her, "Do you think having a genetic disease makes a person immature? Do you think watching an 8-year-old relative die from said genetic disease makes a person immature? There are a lot of reasons people don't have kids, and a lot of paths to maturity." That did not go over well. Now my presence clears the room. passed overとtake a hit for the teamとmy presence clears the room はどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• (困ってます!)英語の文を省略してください

英語のままでいいので、短く分かりやすく省略して欲しいです。 単語は変えなくても簡単にしても、どちらでも構いません。 急いでて、困ってるのでどうかお願いします!! Haiti and the Dominican Republic, uneasy neighbors on the sun-baked island of Hispaniola, share a tangled and contentious history, by turns violent, cooperative and exploitative. That is the background, though hardly an excuse, for an unconscionable decision by the highest Dominican court that strips at least 200,000 ethnic Haitian migrants of any claim to citizenship, including those born on Dominican soil decades ago. The court’s decision enshrines the deep-seated racism and discrimination suffered by Haitian migrants and their children, who have worked back-breaking jobs in Dominican sugar-cane fields and construction sites for many years. It leaves the migrants stateless, lacking even the certainty that their children can receive an education. Compounding this injustice, the court ordered the authorities to comb through birth records, back to 1929, to weed out ethnic Haitians no longer entitled to citizenship. Tens of thousands will be left in legal limbo, including those who have never set foot in Haiti and speak no Creole, Haiti’s main language. The Dominican economy, much like that of the United States, depends on migrant labor to fill jobs at the bottom of the wage scale. And much like the United States’ political class, Dominican authorities have balked at extending fair treatment and equal status to those migrants. For many years, the children of Haitian laborers born on Dominican soil were denied official documents on the grounds that their parents were “in transit” — even if they’d been working in the country for decades. A constitutional amendment in 2010 codified that systemic discrimination, and the court decision, handed down last month, set the rule in stone — and applied it retroactively. The court gave officials one year to draw up a list of residents to be excluded from or stripped of citizenship. The implications of the court’s xenophobic ruling are disastrous. Ethnic Haitians — as well as the Dominican-born children of immigrants from Europe, China and elsewhere — may no longer be entitled to subsidized tuition, public health insurance or other benefits. As in the United States, mass deportation of immigrants on whom the economy relies is not a viable option for the Dominican Republic. The Dominican president, Danilo Medina, acknowledged that the decision had created “a human problem that we have to solve.” U.S. officials should press the issue through diplomatic channels with their Dominican counterparts. By ignoring the plight of ethnic Haitians, the international community would only compound an injustice.

• 大学受験 この英文の文法を教えてください!!!

In that case you will be aware of the fact that to do a good job of acting,you willneed to know what other performers who have appeared on the stage in earlier scens have said and done. この英文のthat to do a good job のところの文法がわからないです。このthatの用法はなんですか??thatのあとにto不定詞がきているのがわからないです。 よろしくお願いします!

• 和訳をお願いします。

"Here's to the kids. Who will never have 100 percent confidence in anything they do, and to the kids who are okay with that." "Here's to the kids. Who second guess themselves on everything they do." "Here's to the kids. Whose idea of a good night is sitting on the food of a car, Watching the stars." 文頭のwhoやwhoseの意味・働きがよくわらず、一体どうやって訳せばよいのかさっぱりわかりません。よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳至急お願いします(ノA`)!!

ブライヤー元首相の奥さんの話です。 It might be thought that Cherie Booth would have enough to do being the Prime Minister's wife ,but she chose to continue her career as one of the top lawyers in the country. Indeed she has become something of a model woman, who has been able successfully to juggle the demands of family and career.

• ランダムに単語をカッコにできますか?

例えば A group of scientists recently announced the discovery of new genes and proteins in the world's oceans. American Craig Venter is leading the study. He and other scientists have been using a boat called Sorcerer Two to collect the genetic information. のような分があったとして、適当な単語を()にしたい。 A group of ( ) recently announced the discovery of new genes and proteins in the world's oceans. ( ) Craig Venter is leading the ( ). He and other scientists have been using a boat called ( ) Two to collect the genetic information. という風に。 英語のリスニングの練習をするために、このようなことができると助かります。()にする個数を選べると、さらにうれしいです。 よろしくお願いします。2007を使っています

• 接続詞の略でしょうか

It is concluded that, because of the problematic implications that the ideology of genetic determinism might have for individuals’ wellbeing and for our public policies, bioethicists should be careful to present these issues in ways that do not promote questionable ideas about the causal role of genes in human diseases and behaviours. 遺伝子決定論という考え方は個人的な健康のため、わが公共政策のためにあり、 倫理学者たちは、人間の病気や行動における遺伝子の原因の役割について 疑問を呈する考え方を助長しない方法で、こうした問題を表明するように 注意すべきである。 *訳してみました。どうも意味が分かりません。 (1)どうやら遺伝子検査を吹聴するなと述べているように感じます。    こんな感じに読めるでしょうか。  (2)individual wellbeing 個人的な健康/で良いですか (3)for our public policies 遺伝子検査とその診断がなぜ、公共政策になるのか     分かりません。しかしこう書いてある/正しいでしょうか (4)S+might have for A+for Bという書き方です。     SはA,Bのためであり…/という理解は正しいでしょうか。     have X for/という書き方が普通だと主ぴますが、違います。     Xが抜けているのでしょうか (5)public policies, (and, but) bioethicists should be このように、and, butのどちらかの補足して、考えられますか。   bioethicists should be は独立したSVCですので、接続詞ではなく、 (.)が適当でしょうか。 *よろしくお願いします。

• 移民の話です。翻訳お願いします。

移民についての文章です。 日本語訳をお願いします。 Our door has to be open—but not wide open. We cannot let in all of the world's many millions who wish to come. And we are entitled to be selective. The key question is how effectively our policies have been designed to address our interests. Another short answer: Not at all. That is why we have to take this opportunity to change them. The bipartisan bill by a group of 10 U.S. senators is a good and bold attempt to sort out this issue after decades of confusion. The senators are right to call for a change of emphasis to put more stress on special skills and limit the numbers claiming entry on the fact of a relationship to someone here. Today, once an individual has become an American citizen, he or she can petition on behalf of relatives, not only spouses and children but also parents and siblings, who in turn can bring other relatives over, creating so-called chain immigration. This allows an immigrant to bring in a brother who brings in a sister, who brings in a brother-in-law, who brings in a daughter, ad infinitum.