The Book of Mozillaの訳

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The Book of Mozillaとは、ネットスケープ・コミュニケーションズ(現在のMozilla Corporation)のウェブブラウザであるNetscape Navigatorの起動画面に表示されるメッセージの一部である。
  • 「a thousand thousand fold」は、何かが非常に大きくなることを表現しており、「like unto a great storm」は、非常に大きな騒ぎや混乱を指しています。
  • 正確な意味や用法については、宗教的な表現を含むため、文脈によって解釈が異なることがあります。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

The Book of Mozillaの訳

And the beast shall be made legion. Its numbers shall be increased a thousand thousand fold. The din of a million keyboards like unto a great storm shall cover the earth, and the followers of Mammon shall tremble. ネスケのイースターエッグからです。大体の意味は分かるのですが、「a thousand thousand fold」と「like unto a great storm」の二箇所がきっちりと訳せません。正確な意味や用法などを説明できる方、お願いします。

• Ned4L
  • お礼率83% (36/43)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • mudpup
  • ベストアンサー率41% (17/41)
回答No.1

迫力がある文章ですね。 まず、"a thousand thousand fold"は、「何何千倍」って感じでしょうね。通常"-fold"は「倍」を意味しますから、「2倍」は、"twofold"のように使われます。 次に、"like unto a great storm"は、「巨大な嵐のように」と訳せるでしょうね。"like unto"は、聖書などによく使われる表現です。 "a thousand thousand fold"は"a thousandfold"、 "like unto a great storm"は"like a great storm" とも書けたかもしれませんが、印象が全然違いますね。 嵐の真っ只中で、モーゼが紅海を二つに割る時のようなイメージがわきますね。

参考URL:
http://www.christusrex.org/www1/stanzas/L31-RedSea.jpg
Ned4L
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 >"-fold"は「倍」を意味 >"like unto"は、聖書などによく使われる表現 このような表現は知らなければ辞書で引くこともむずかしいので、非常に参考になりました。 また、参考URL、ちょっと驚きましたが楽しかったです。これもまたeaster eggですね。

Ned4L
質問者

補足

mudpupさんの回答を参考に訳してみました;  そして獣は増えるであろう。  その数は千の千倍になるであろう。  巨大な嵐のようにキーボードをたたく音が地上を覆い、  異教徒は震え上がるだろう。 MammonがいまだにMosaicをさしているのか、それともMicrosoftのことなのか、気になるところです。

その他の回答 (1)

noname#2733
noname#2733
回答No.2

"a thousand thousand"とは 1,000 x 1,000 = 1,000,000の事では? ちょうどmillionになるし。(^^;) mammon = wealth, materialism でMammonは富の邪神の事ですから、 Mosaicでは先ずあり得ないですよね。 やはりInternet ExplorerでMicrosoft社の事では? これってネスケのEaster Eggですもんね。(^^) どうやって出すんですか?

Ned4L
質問者

補足

>"a thousand thousand"とは 1,000 x 1,000 = 1,000,000の事では? 原文でthousandを二回繰り返しているのですから、それを尊重して訳すのが筋というものでしょう(笑) 百万と訳出してしまうと雰囲気が出ないというか、文章の改竄ではないですか? >Mosaicでは先ずあり得ないですよね ネットスケープの成立過程を考えれば、たとえMosaicが過去の遺物だとしても、候補には挙げておきたいものです。 >どうやって出すんですか? about:mozillaで出します。UNIX版なら尚善しです。

関連するQ&A

• 英語が堪能な方 訳をお願いできますか?

I: We hung out about six months ago or so. CS: I was like I've been here before and I came in the back way. I: You did exactly the same thing. And the last time you were here, I think you had about a hundred thousand followers on Twitter. CS: Yeah I'm at like 500 and it goes up like 5,000 a day and I'm like wow. I: At the Cody Simpson, talk to me about how this happened. Of course you were found on YouTube by mediators. CS: Yeah I was found I think it was two thousand and was the end of two thousand and nine. Um like October 2009. I had this producer was just like send me messages to Myspace I think it was and he was just like I think you're really talented why don't you come over and record some songs for me. So he flew me and my dad over and we just gotten in a studio and see what happen and.. I: Next thing you know. CS: Yeah it just it just went like that. I: And you teamed up with Flo Rida with..

• about:mozillaの和訳

何かの時にかっこいいセリフとして使えるかも...と、ブラウザ大戦争時代のことを皮肉ったabout:mozillaの記述を自分なりに訳してみました。(Q.408094にも同様の質問があるようですね) ---------about:mozillaより-------------- And so at last the beast fell and the unbelievers rejoiced.But all was not lost, for from the ash rose a great bird.The bird gazed down upon the unbelievers and cast fire and thunder upon them. For the beast had been reborn with its strength renewed, and the followers of Mammon cowered in horror. --------------------------------------- (長く続いたその戦いは結局)獣の敗北に終わり、裏切り者たちは喜んだ。しかし、全てが失われたわけではなかった...やがてその灰からは大きな鳥が生まれたのだ。 その鳥は裏切り者達を睨みつけ、炎や雷を落とした。 獣はその強さを一新して生まれ変わり、そして金の猛者達を恐怖に陥れた。 ------------------- 何か違和感があるんですが、どうしたらもっと訳がよくなりますかね?「裏切り者」ってのがなのかな? (余計な言葉足しすぎたせいかも?)

• 訳を教えてください

A quotation, like a pun, should come unsought, and then be welcomed only for some propriety of felicity justifying the intrusion. よろしくお願いします。

• 英文契約書の訳について

「shall be or hereby is entirely freed and relieved of」の訳について質問です。 「免除・放免され、または本契約書において免除・放免され」という訳だと同じことを2回言っていると思うのですが、どうなのでしょうか? shall beとherebyは、any and allのように単なる強調で、訳は「本契約書において免除・放免される」と訳せばいいのでしょうか? どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

• 契約書の訳を教えてください!

今急に契約書の翻訳を頼まれたのですがどうしてもわからない箇所があります。 詳しい方、助けていただけないでしょうか。 The Parties shall keep the execution of and matters provided in this Agreement confidential and shall not disclose or otherwise provide the same to any third party; provided, however, that such confidential obligation shall not apply to the information required to be disclosed by a court or administrative authority in accordance with due proceeding or the information required to be disclosed in accordance with provisions of the applicable laws and regulations; provided, further, however that, in such case, the parties shall ensure that the relevant information is disclosed or provided to the minimum extent possible. The provision of this Article 16 shall survive the termination or expiration of this Agreement for a period of [3 years] years after such termination or expiration. すみません。自分でやってみたのですがむちゃくちゃで、、どうかお願いいたします。

• 英文の契約書の日本語訳に困っています

海外のお客様との契約書を初めて扱うことになり、日常会話では使われないような言い回しや単語が出てきているので、英訳に困っています。 どなたか日本語訳をお願いできないでしょうか Arbitration and Competent Court of Law Nothing in this agreement shall be construed so as to require the commision of any contrary to law, and , wherever there is any conflict between any provision of this agreement and any statute law or ordinance concerning the legal rights of the parties, such as the right to contract, the latter shall prevail to the extent it cannot be disposed of by said partied, but in such an event, the affected provisions of this agreement shall be curtailed and limited only to extent, necessary to bring it within the legal requirements. In the event that the provisions of this article shall be invoked by either party hereto and any curtailment or limitation of this agreement alerts said rights and duties of the parties hereto, then said parties shall negotiate in good faith, so that rights and duties of said parties, as nearly as possible, shall be the same as before the invocation of the foregoing provisions of this article. Should any part of provision of this agreement be held unenforceable or in conflict with the law of any jurisdiction, the validity of the remaining parts or provisions shall not be affected by such holdings and an equitable adjustment shall be negotiated by the parties, whereby any portion of this agreement, that may be in violation of the laws of a country to which this agreement extends, may be stricken or modified and equitable adjustment can be made to conform the revised portion to the benefits intended as set forth herein. Any dispute, controversy of claim arising out of or in connection with this agreement, or the breach, termination or invalidity thereof shall be settled by the amigable arbitration of the international Chamber of Commerce at Singapore. よろしくお願いいたします

• 『The sound of summer ~』2

Ray Bradburyの『The sound of summer running』という短編からの質問です。 A few people drifted by on the sidewalk outside, in the hot sun. Still the man and boy stood there, the boy glowing, the man with revelation in his face. “Boy,” said the old man at last, “in five years, how would you like a job selling shoes in this emporium?” “Gosh, thanks, Mr. Sanderson, but I don’t know what I’m going to be yet.” “Anything you want to be, son,” said the old man, “you’ll be. No one will ever stop you.” The old man walked lightly across the store to the wall of ten thousand boxes, came back with some shoes for the boy, and wrote up a list on some paper while the boy was lacing the shoes on his feet and then standing there, waiting. The old man held out his list. “A dozen things you got to do for me this afternoon. Finish them, we’re even Stephen, and you’re fired.” ☆Mr. Sanderson(the old man)というのは、靴を売っているお店の主人です。 ********************** Still the man and boy stood thereについて boyに定冠詞がついていないのはどうしてでしょうか? ********************** but I don’t know what I’m going to be yet.について "でも僕は何になるのかまだわかりません”と言っているのでしょうか? to beは「~になる」、という意味ですか? ********************** “A dozen things you got to do for me this afternoon. Finish them, we’re even Stephen, and you’re fired.” のセリフについて we’re even Stephenの意味がわからないのですが、you’re firedは「きみは解雇だよ」ということですか?つまり、その日の午後だけお店を手伝ってくれればそれでいいよ、ということですか? *********************** 教えてください。 よろしくお願いします。

• 『The sound of summer ~』2

Ray Bradburyの『The sound of summer running』という短編からの質問です。 “Please!” Douglas held out his hand. “Mr. Sanderson, now could you kind of rock back and forth a little, sponge around, bounce kind of, while I tell you the rest? It’s this: I give you my money, you give me the shoes, I owe you a dollar. But, Mr.Sanderson, but—soon as I get those shoes on, you know what happens?” “What?” “Bang! I deliver your packages, pick up packages, bring you coffee, burn your trash, run to the post office, telegraph office, library! You’ll see twelve of me in and out, in and out, every minute. Feel those shoes, Mr. Sanderson, feel how fast they’d take me? All those springs inside? Feel all the running inside? Feel how they kind of grab hold and can’t let you alone and don’t like you just standing there? Feel how quick I’d be doing the things you’d rather not bother with? You stay in the nice cool store while I’m jumping all around town! But it’s not me really, it’s the shoes. They’re going like mad down alleys, cutting corners, and back! There they go!” ☆Mr. Sandersonというのは、靴を売っているお店の主人です。 *************************** Mr. Sanderson, now could you kind of rock back and forth a little, sponge around, bounce kind of, while I tell you the rest? It’s this: の個所に付いて could you kind of rock back and forth a littleのrock back and forthは「前後に揺れる」という意味だと思うのですが、kind ofにつながっている構造がわかりません。 また、bounce kind ofの後はrock back and forth a littleの省略でしょうか? sponge aroundというのは、靴のまわりを拭くという意味ですか? It’s this:のItは何を指しているのでしょうか? ************************* I owe you a dollar.について 少年のお金では靴を買うのに1ドル足りず、その分サンダーソンさんに借りができてしまう、ということですか? ************************** Bang! I deliver your packagesについて Bang!は「感嘆符」の意味で書かれているのでしょうか? **************************** Feel how quick I’d be doing the things you’d rather not bother with?の個所について ここは、どうやって訳すのでしょうか?you’d rather not bother withの部分がよくわかりません。 ************************** They’re going like mad down alleys, cutting corners, and back! There they go! について cutting cornersとは「手抜き」という意味なのでしょうか?? There they go!のThere(そこへ)はalleysのことですか? ************************** 質問が多くなってしまい、申し訳ありません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語訳を教えてください。

学校で英語訳を頼まれたのですが、英語がすごく苦手で遅々として進みません。 特に表紙に書かれている英語が単語の辞書を調べても意味が通じるように訳せません。 どなたか教えていただけませんか?よろしくおねがいします。 They came unto a land, In which it seemed always afternoon. A land of streams! Some, like a downward smoke, Slow-dropping veils of thinnest lawn, did go, And some thro’wavering lights and shadows broke, Rolling a slumberous sheet of foam below. They saw the gleaming river seaward flow From the inner land : far off, a mountain-top, A silent pinnacle of aged snow, Stood sunset-flushed : and, dew’d with showery drops, Up-clomb the shadowy pines above the woven copse. Tennyson, The Lotos-Eaters. MACMILLAN AND CO., LIMITED ST. MARTIN'S STREET, LONDON

• どなたかこの英文の日本語訳をお願いします。

Clause 9 : Damage to the Leased Property In the event that the Leased Property shall be destroyed or damaged by fire, explosion, storm, tempest, flood, strike, riot, aircraft or anything dropped there from, (except where such destruction or damage has been caused by the fault or negligence of the Lessee) and the Leased Property shall be rendered unfit for use or completely destroyed, then either party shall have the alternative, by sending within 30 (thirty) days, written notice to the other, to terminate this Agreement. On the contrary, if neither party wants to terminate this Agreement the Lessor shall, after receiving the insured amount, promptly rebuild and reinstall the Leased Property to substantially their former condition. No rental shall be payable until the Leased Property are again rendered fit for occupancy and use according to this Agreement.