Single Woman Coping with Christmas Presents

このQ&Aのポイント
  • A single woman with a large extended family copes with buying Christmas presents by getting them early.
  • Her brother's wife announced that they will not be exchanging gifts with the extended family, causing her to return the gifts she got for them.
  • The brother's wife made a snide remark about her not understanding the true meaning of Christmas and withholding their gifts.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

that節について

I’m a single woman with a large extended family. I cope with the enormous project of buying Christmas presents by getting them very early. Everyone in my family knows this; it’s the family joke that I have all my presents purchased by Halloween. My brother’s wife, Jean, sent out a group text last week saying they have decided not to exchange gifts with the extended family and would only be getting gifts for each other and their own kids. They have five kids, both together and via previous marriages, so I understand, but would have appreciated more notice. My mom asked what I was going to do, and I said I’d keep the gifts for the kids but return the ones I got for my brother and Jean. Unfortunately, my dad, the family bigmouth, overheard us and told my brother. This weekend, Jean made a snide remark about how I didn’t understand the “true meaning of Christmas” and how I’m withholding their gifts simply because I’m not getting anything in return. In the moment, I snapped that she doesn’t get to spend my money for me, but on reflection I’m a little afraid she’s right. it’s the family joke thatとI snapped thatはなぜthat節がとれるのでしょうか?決まりがあるのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4119/5353)
  • 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> it’s the family joke thatとI snapped thatはなぜthat節がとれるのでしょうか?  前者が It is A that ... という構文であり、一種の強調文であり、普通は that を用いる (省略しない)。  後者は省略してもよいが、 I snapped A, but B. という2つの要素を持つ形の文なので、A をまず提示しておいて、次に B という要素も提示するのだという連続性の意識が働いているように見えます。that が略されても問題ないが、ない場合、文の前半だけで1つのことを言い切ってしまう感じになる。実際には、前半の in the moment ... と後半の on reflection (that) ... という異なる2つの要素を持ち出す意図があったのだから、前半では that を使って節であることを意識させ、後半では重複を避けて省略している、と見ることができるように思われます。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

その他の回答 (1)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9722/12094)
回答No.2

>it’s the family joke thatとI snapped thatはなぜthat節がとれるのでしょうか?決まりがあるのでしょうか? ⇒どちらのthat も「~すること」という名詞節を作るための接続詞です。 ☆ it’s the family joke that の場合:「(私はすべてのプレゼントをハロウィーンで購入したことが)家族の笑いのタネです」。ということで、it’s the family joke that I have all my presents purchased by Halloween のit が形式主語、that 以下 that I have all my presents purchased by Halloween「私はすべてのプレゼントをハロウィーンで購入したこと」が真主語ですね。つまり、このthat節は、「主語(節)としての名詞節」で、頻用される文法規則です。 ☆ I snapped thatの場合:I snapped that she doesn’t get to spend my money for me, but on reflection I’m a little afraid she’s right.「私は彼女が私に(プレゼント用の)お金を使わせないことを噛みつきましたが、考えてみると、少々残念ながら彼女の方が正しいかも知れないと思います」。ということで、このthat 節 that she doesn’t get to spend my money for me「彼女が私に(プレゼント用の)お金を使わせないこと」は、「目的語(節)としての名詞節」で、同じく頻用される文法規則です。 要するに、どちらのthat 節も、ごく普通の名詞節で、文法上何ら問題ありません。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• that節

My husband and I have been raising two of my grandkids: Their mothers are from my first marriage and addicted to drugs. It was rough the first few years, but I told my husband I couldn’t turn my back on the grandkids and he said that we together could do it. Fast-forward several years and he’s retired, the kids are 14 and 9, and I feel like I get punished all the time for “ruining his life and retirement” by choosing the grandkids over him. He always starts off that it was the only choice we could make, but there isn’t a day that goes by he doesn’t have a sarcastic remark about me or the grandkids’ mothers or how dishonest and horrible all women are. He always starts off thatはなぜ that節がとれるのでしょうか?何にでもとれるわけではないですよね?よろしくお願いします

• 副詞節のthat?

"I have no likes and dislikes about fruits, except for the stuff that might cause me stomach trouble"

• 同格のthat節?

抹茶ラテの粉末を買ったんですが、そこに This is our original"Awadachi" Matcha au Lait that you can enjoy the good taste and fine flavor. と書いてあります。 このthatは同格のthat節でしょうか? enjoyの目的語があるので関係代名詞ではないと思います。 また同格のthat節も取れる名詞が決まっていると本に書いてありました。 もしSVOまでもすべて取れるthatの用法があるなら教えてください。 例えば以下の文なんかは文法的にありえないですよね? I want to have a book that I study English. これを作るなら I want to have a book to study English.だと思いますので。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

My fiance and I are getting married in my family's hometown and my parents are hosting (and paying for) the wedding. My family are minimal drinkers though not opposed to some drinking. My fiance's large extended family is accustomed to weddings with full open bars. My parents' initial desire was to serve beer and wine during cocktail hour and dinner, and they have increased that to supplying beer and wine for a full reception and adding one cocktail option. they have increased that to supplying beer and wine for a full reception and adding one cocktail optionの和訳をよろしくお願いします

• 訳し方を教えてください

Members of my family love to extend invitations to birthday parties at a restaurant of their choice, and they expect you to bring a gift and pay for your own meal. It is my understanding that the host handles the food bill in expectation that the guests will bring gifts and have a great time. This is the way I have known it to be done. Now that I live in the South, social etiquette among my family members has become strained and has caused me to decline invitations. ここでのstrainedの訳し方を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 意味と文法的解説をよろしくお願いします

I was supposed to be getting married this weekend, but 10 days ago my fiancée called it off saying, “It wasn’t right.” This was a huge blow, of course, and I’m still struggling with it. My problem is that once it was announced I was inundated with messages from people asking about their gifts. I get that they want their gifts back, and I’m going to return everything. But I really need some space here just for a few days until I can get to a better place. Is it rude to put out a message on social media just saying that? just saying that?の意味と文法的解説をよろしくお願いします

• 長文和訳お願いします!

長文和訳お願いします! 読みにくかったらすみません My dear 〇〇 I'm slowly getting over my jet lag and getting used to my normal life again. Life in Japan was so easy for my ... everyday eating out in a restaurant, hotel room got cleaned every day ... In Belgium I need to do all that myself ... it is a bit of work ... but part of me is happy to be back in my own house ... and not havening to live out of my suitcase. But at the same time I'm very sad that I have left Japan and that I'm now so far away from you.

• flew her out

My father began dating four years after my mother passed away from a terrible bout with cancer. He and I have always been close; in fact, I have always considered him to be one of my best friends. But since he started dating he has changed. I just traveled across the country for a family funeral and discovered that he has a new love in his life, and that he flew her out to see all of our extended family. My dying grandmother got to meet her, but I didn't even know her name! flew her outはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、got toはcouldに置き換えられるでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• If that does it

I have been friends with “Jon” for four years. He’s a great guy but not my type. Four months ago Jon got drunk, confessed his undying love for me, and tried to kiss me. I gently rejected him and got someone else to sober him up. The next day, Jon apologized. I told him I valued our friendship and since then, our things have gone back to normal—but several of our mutual friends are pressuring me to give Jon a chance. They ignore my refusals and try to sell me on him. One got very angry when I started dating someone new and accused me of stringing Jon along. I was honest with Jon, and I have tried to be kind (I don’t complain to him about my love life or anything). I have asked Jon several times if we are OK, and he said yes, but all this interference from our friends has left me with doubts. Jon and I have plans to go to France this summer with another friend, and I have spent a lot of money on nonrefundable tickets. Should I ignore all this or press Jon for more details? —Pining I don’t think it’s Jon you need to speak to right now. It’s possible that he’s been pretending to be fine while secretly complaining to your friends, but that’s not at all certain, and the people whose behavior is bothering you right now are your mutual friends—so tell them to knock it off. “I’ve been very clear with Jon from the start that I care about him as a friend and I’m not interested in him romantically. I’m not stringing him along, but I’m also tired of your attempts to convince me I ought to want to be with him. I don’t know why you think it would be a good start to a romantic relationship for one party to have to be repeatedly talked into it. I certainly don’t. You need to stop.” If that does it, great! If that does itはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 添削して下さい><お願いします。

I have been studying for two years at university in Hyogo Prefecture. I major overall policy there,and that study the various learning such as internatinal relatins,enviromental,and law. I'm happy to go to school,because I fortunate to have a lot of friends like best friends and study there. I study hard to achive my dream from now on for becoming a lawyer and speaking English fluently. But I often change of pace at times. All one can say is that ,as I am, I have to do my best in any case for the porpose of getting my priorities. あんまり良い表現使ってないような気がします。出来たらどう直したいいかとアドバイスなんかあったらお願いします。