A Silent Picture in the Year 1909

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In the year 1909, I feel as if I am in a moving-picture theatre, watching a silent picture with old-fashioned clothes and fast-paced action.
  • On a Sunday afternoon, June 12th, 1909, my father walks down the quiet streets of Brooklyn to visit my mother, dressed sharply and full of anticipation.
  • Immersed in the darkness of the theatre, I become anonymous and lose myself in the movie, experiencing the powerful emotions orchestrated by the organist.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

和訳お願いします。

I think it is the year 1909. I feel as if I were in a moving-picture theatre, the long arm of light crossing the darkness and spinning, my eyes fixed upon the screen. It is a silent plcture, as if an old Biograph one, in which the actors are dressed in ridiculously old-fashioned clothes, and one flash succeeds another with sudden jumps, and the actors, too, seem to jump about, walking too fast. The shots are full of rays and dots, as if it had been raining when the picture was photographed. The light is bad. It is Sunday afternoon, June 12th, 1909, and my father is walking down the quiet streets of Brooklyn on his way to visit my mother. His clothes are newly pressed, and his tie is too tight in his high collar. He jingles the coins in his pocket, thinking of the witty things he will say. I feel as if I had by now relaxed entirely in the soft darkness of the theatre; the organist peals out the obvious approximate emotions on which the audience rocks unknowingly. I am anonymous. I have forgotten myself: it is always so when one goes to a movie; it is, as they say, a drug.

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • Him-hymn
  • ベストアンサー率66% (3489/5257)
回答No.1

年は1909年だと思う。自分が映画の中にいて、奥から差し込んでくるライトが暗闇を縫ってきて、回転していて、自分の目はスクリーンに釘付けになっているかのように感じる。無声映画で、古い伝記のごときもので、役者たちはばからしいほど古くさい服を着ていて、瞬間場面が飛び飛びで連続し、役者も、飛び回ったり、おそろしく速く歩きすぎているようである。映像は筋やゴミが入っていて、撮影時に雨でも降っていたかのごとくであった。照明はひどい。 1909年の6月12日の日曜日の午後、父は母を訪ねる途中、ブルックリンの静かな通りを歩いている。その服は、アイロンをかけたばかりで、ネクタイは高さのある襟にきつく巻かれている。ポケットにはちりんちりんとコインの音がし、これから何か機知に富んだことを言う台詞を考えている。私は劇場のやわらかな暗がりの中で今、ずっとリラックスしてるかのごとくだ。オルガニストは、聴衆が知らないうちに居眠りをするような、はっきりわかるおおざっぱな感情をとどろかせる。自分が誰だかわからない。自分を忘れてしまった。映画に行くといつもそうなんだ。映画というのは、曰く、ドラッグ(麻薬)なんだと。

mangifera
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。

関連するQ&A

• 和訳をお願いいたします

英文を和訳していただける かたのみで、お願いできますでしょうか? 意訳大歓迎です。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Every birth certificate is a death certificate. From birth to death is a mere moment. All we perceive is just a fragment of time. If you imagine a rope, you can separate this one rope into many strands. One is the material worldly life and all you experience in it. Another strand is the past incarnations lives you have lived, their dormant memories are stored in your unconscious. The past too in this one life is another strand, it was once as real as now, and somewhere it still exists as real. The future too is real but as yet unlived. Deep inside our self we all know our own future, but only the few are gifted to know it consciously. And there is dream, we may think we dream but some dreams are fragmentary memories of other lives and dimension reached through sleep. In your subconscious these other realms hold memories of this older eternal love, its past and its future are already known, and this why the relationship will be an irresistible one, like a haunting spell cast over you.

• 英文の和訳

英文の和訳をしていただけるかた のみで、お願いできますでしょうか? 身体の内容だと思いますので、 抽象的かもしれませんが どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 His feet like his hands are broad and fleshy though not particularly large. Quite small taking into account the size of his body. Like the hands they have a slight square ness about them. They are warm and supported by thick ankles like milk bottles. His feet are not his best feature. I would say they were more serviceable than beautiful. He is prone to harsh skin like sandpaper, and Corns or chilblains on the soles and of the feet. Cold feet pains in the big toe as if bandaged. His shoes are too hard and unkind to him and badly fitting or too cheap and he walks too much and this is the cause of much of his feet’s main problems. One of the toe nails of the left foot may be damaged or missing. The little toes themselves a little bent under.. Toes become spasmodically cramped from time to time.

• 和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで。 お願いできますでしょうか? 若干抽象的なのかもしれませんが、 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 The stars can also disclose an astonishing amount about your future soul mates background. His life will be inextricably woven into your yours when you are married, and so in a sense his chart, which after all is a symbol of his destiny is woven into yours too, even before you know of his existence or meet face to face. So from your chart I can extract information about his life, not as much as it could from his own chart of course, but still enough to give you an insight in to his roots and his past. This is what I will come to next in the reading. His origins, roots and distant past. I will begin with his childhood.

• 和訳して下さいm(_ _)m

Yes very much, people of japan are hard working, they have their own and beautiful culture and traditions:) also as much i know, they are of helping nature too and i don't think there is any reason that one shouldn't like japan. Although good and bad people are everywhere but in fact after my country i like japan most in this world. What do you think about India? 和訳して下さいm(_ _)m

• 和訳お願いします。 すみません。

(1) I always think of them as being quite different. As for keeping myself dry, there is evidently no one here who can at all appreciate an emotional nature. Fortunately for myself , I don't care. The only thing that sustains one through life is the consciousness of the immense inferiority of everybody else, and this is a feeling that I have always cultivated. (2)But none of you have any hearts. Here you are laughing and making merry just as if the Prince and Princess had not just been married. (3)“Well, really,” wxclaimed a small Fire-balloon, “why not? It is a most joyful occasion, and when I soar up into the air I intend to tell the stars all about it. You will see them twinkle when I talk to them about the pretty bride” (4)“Ah ! what a trivial view of life ! ” said the Rocket: “but it is only what I expected. There is nothing in you; you are hollow and empty. Why, perhaps the Prince and Princess may go to live in a country where there is a deep river, and perhaps they may have one only son, a little fair-haired boy with violet eyes like the Prince himself; and perhaps some day he may go out to walk with his nurse; and perhaps the nurse may go to sleep under a great elder-tree; and perhaps the little boy may fall into the deep river and be drowned. What a terrible misfortune ! Poor people, to lose their only son ! It is really too dreadful ! I shall never get over it.”

• 和訳希望

以下の英文の和訳をしていただけるかたに、 お願いできますか? 途中の文章ですが、どうしても気になる単語があって 知りたくてお願いしたいです。 よろしくお願いします。 A change of residence brought about by money or lack of it, may produce change in the relationship. There are troubles or turbulence too in his family circle especially after deaths in his family. Sex is important to the partner, and control of other peoples emotions. But so long as the moon is unaflicted in this house it portends wealth in the relationship, but when afflicted the reverse

• 和訳できる方お願いします。

A moment later, he stiffens and clutches at his wounded throat. Then his head explodes: blood and gore bathe the First Lady, who crawls onto the trunk lid of the moving car in a wild and hopeless attempt to collect the pieces. It is one of the most brutally violent scenes ever captured on film. I won't describe it more closely, because even in print it's too wrenching. よろしくお願いします。

• 英文和訳です

英文和訳です No one should spend too much time on memories. Some people start doing that when they are twenty and never get over living in the past. And it is my feeling that too many memories are sad. They are of friends or events that are gone. The other day someoe asked me what year my father died and I could't remember. The date never seemed like one to memorize, and I don't think of him any less often for having put it out of my mind. 全体的に分かりにくいのですが、特に最後の一文がよくわかりません。 宜しくお願いします。

• 和訳希望

英文を和訳していただけるかた のみで、お願いできますでしょうか? 定型文です。 2つの段落になっています。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 The descriptions are complicated to work out from the chart, So there is only time in one reading to describe his face this vividly. Most people hunger to know more and want to know everything that it is possible to tell. In Soul mate two, I will add and enliven this portrait by describing his body in detail, his stance, mannerisms, his characteristic movements and so on. But for now we must move on to other important things. It is the stars which are lowest on the west horizon at your time of birth that have the strongest influence over your future marriage. This portion of the sky is known as the seventh house; or The house of marriage. It rules all serious love affairs and unions. This is the house I am going to be looking at next.

• 英文和訳

And should we defeat every enemy, and should we double our wealth and conquer the stars, and still be unequal to this issue, then we will have failed as a people and as a nation. For, with a country as with a person, "what is a man profited if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" There is no Negro problem. There is no Southern problem. There is no Northern problem. There is only an American problem.This was the first nation in the history of the world to be founded with a purpose. The great phrases of that purpose still sound in every American heart, North and South: "All men are created equal." "Government by consent of the governed." "Give me liberty or give me death." And those are not just clever words, and those are not just empty theories. In their name Americans have fought and died for two centuries and tonight around the world they stand there as guardians of our liberty risking their lives. Those words are promised to every citizen that he shall share in the dignity of man. This dignity cannot be found in a man's possessions. It cannot be found in his power or in his position. It really rests on his right to be treated as a man equal in opportunity to all others. It says that he shall share in freedom. He shall choose his leaders, educate his children, provide for his family according to his ability and his merits as a human being. To apply any other test, to deny a man his hopes because of his color or race or his religion or the place of his birth is not only to do injustice, it is to deny Americans and to dishonor the dead who gave their lives for American freedom. どなたかお願いします。