英Times紙のコラムの一節・Is work! Doing Shift

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 火曜日に私は仮想のバスを運転し、街を移動する体験をしました。
  • 新企画「ザ・シフト」の推進役であるアリス・マイルズは、この経験について話すことを検討しています。
  • アリスと私はお互いの南京虫の経験について話しました。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英Times紙のコラムの一節・Is work! Doing Shift

英Times紙のユーモアコラムからです。筆者はマシュー・パリス氏。10月23日のものです。 最後の「Shifting sands」と題するパートを引用します。 On Tuesday I did one of the weirdest new things I have done. For “The Shift”, a new series starting on these pages soon. I tried driving a virtual bus in a bus simulator at Willesden Junction. Incredibly realistic. I negotiated a whole virtual town, hitting the kerb and narrowly missing several cyclists and a taxi. Afterwards I was nearly sick. Wondering yesterday whether The Times's Alice Miles, who is organising the series, would mind a premention of the episode in this diary, I texted to ask. Her reply: “Am in gas mask. Bed bug. Pest control.” Bed bugs are ghastly: I know, from an African boyhood. Sorry for Alice and her little girl, and admiring her honesty in speaking about this, I texted my sympathies on her domestic vermin(注 : 一部関係がないので省略). To ease her embarrassment I made candid mention of my own bedbug experiences. Her reply was swift: “Is work! Doing Shift.” 上記の最後のセリフ「Is work! Doing Shift」の意味と、できれば普通の文章に直した場合どんな言葉を補うことになるのかご教示いただければ幸いです。 なお、その他の部分の訳は以下のようなものと思います。 火曜日に私はこれまでのうちでもっとも奇妙な体験をした。「ザ・シフト」のためである。「ザ・シフト」はこのコーナーでまもなく始まる新しい企画の名前です。ウィルズデン・ジャンクションでバス・シミュレーターを使い、仮想のバスを運転したのだ。信じられないほどリアリティーがあった。私は仮想の町をあちこち移動し、歩道の縁石に乗り上げたり、あやうく自転車に乗った人数人やタクシーにぶつかりそうになったりした。あとで気分が悪くなるほどだった。 新企画「ザ・シフト」の推進役の中心であるタイムズ紙のアリス・マイルズがこのコラムでバス・シミュレーション体験について早々に触れることをどう思うか気になったので、昨日、私はメールで尋ねてみた。彼女の返信は「目下、マスクを装着中。南京虫。害虫駆除」だった。 南京虫はおぞましい存在だ。自分もアフリカで少年時代を過ごしたからよく知っている。アリスと彼女の幼い娘さんには気の毒な話だ。南京虫のことを率直に打ち明ける彼女に感嘆して、私は彼女に(注 : 一部関係がないので省略)お悔やみの言葉を送った。彼女がとまどうかもしれないと思って、自分の過去の南京虫との関わり合いをざっくばらんに話した。 彼女からすぐに返事が返って来た。「Is work! Doing Shift」。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

たとえば、 This is work! I am doing "The Shift" work. 「仕事よ!シフトの取材中なのよ。」 のような意味かも。 The Shiftというのが様々なバーチャル・シミュレーション体験についての連載記事であるなら、なんとなくつじつまが合います。

kaiyosei
質問者

お礼

レスありがとうございます。 うーむ。これは予想外の答えでした。 いや、省略されている語句が This と I am というのはなんら不自然には感じません。自分にもごく自然に感じられます。 しかし、それが意味するところはまったく想定外でした。 なるほど「シフトの取材中」と解釈すると文章の最初にその話が出ることとつじつまがぴったりあいます。 ということは、ひょっとして、南京虫うんぬんというのはゲームの上のことであって、実際にはマイルズ女史は南京虫で苦労しているわけでは全然ないということになるわけでしょうか。 実際はゲームの話だったので、それが結局この文章のオチであるということでしょうか。この可能性は自分の頭にはまったく浮かびませんでした。 しかし、そう考えるといかにもこのユーモアコラムにふさわしい結末です。 まだ100パーセントこの解釈が正しいかどうか自分には確信がもてませんが、非常に説得力のあるご意見と思います。 ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• 英Independent紙のコラムの一節

今回は英国 Independent紙のユーモアコラムからです。筆者は Dom Joly氏。 最初から2番目の段落までを引用します。 Dom Joly: I'm crazy about Palin, and she's everything I hate Sunday, 21 September 2008 It's getting quite embarrassing. I'll be flicking through the "dirty" channels, hoping for a glimpse of what I desire when... Stacey bursts in and I have to fast-flick back to 'Takeshi's Castle' on Challenge. It's too late though ? she knows what I'm up to. "Have you been watching Fox News?" she'll scream accusingly. I pretend to not know what she's talking about, but this lady is not for turning. "I don't know what you find so interesting about Sarah Palin but it's got to stop ? she's a monster." I try to bury myself deep into the comforting folds of my leather sofa. I know she's right but I am in the grip of a terrible obsession with the US VPILF. I can remember when I first saw her ? all white teeth and sexy glasses and hair scrunched up in a bun like some cliched teenager's mom fantasy. She was so... in charge... and so... sure of herself... she's not a blinker. She's everything I hate ? a right-wing born-again who feels that she might be "good" with foreign policy because she can "see Russia from my house". McCain is about as healthy as Jimmy Savile and, should he win, she'll probably be President by Valentine's Day and at war with Belgium by the spring. I know all of this and yet, I think I love her... there, I've said it, it's out there. 2番目の段落の最後の文章 I know all of this and yet, I think I love her... there, I've said it, it's out there. の意味を教えて下さい。 なお、全文はこちらで読めます。 http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/columnists/dom-joly/dom-joly-im-crazy-about-palin-and-shes-everything-i-hate-936861.html * なお、良回答の20ポイントはなんとか1人に絞りますが、10ポイントの候補は1人に絞るのが難しいのが常です。その場合、回答時間の早い方に決めさせていただきます。ご了承下さい。 (shiremonoさん、前回のIHTの質問の際、ポイントがつかなかったのはそういう理由です。すみません)

• The U.S. economy is doing very poor

The U.S. economy is doing very poorly right now. The unemployment rate in Los Angeles is already 14%. I have some income properties and a lot of my tenants can't pay rent because they have lost their jobs. I don't know what to do. 現在、米国の経済は悪化しています。 ロサンゼルスでは失業率がすでに、 14%になっています。 私は、いくつかの収益不動産がありますし、 沢山の借家人は失業しましたので、 家賃を支払うことができません。 どうすればいいのか分からないんです。 日本語訳は合っていますか?

• Financial Times経済コラムの一節・その2

前の「Financial Times経済コラムの一節・その1」に引き続き、同一コラムからの質問です。すなわち、Financial Times の Willem Buiter 氏による3月3日付けの「The unfortunate uselessness of most ’state of the art’ academic monetary economics」(「最先端」と称される金融経済学の大半は役に立たない)というタイトルのもの。 第3段落を引用します。 The most influential New Classical and New Keynesian theorists all worked in what economists call a ‘complete markets paradigm’. In a world where there are markets for contingent claims trading that span all possible states of nature (all possible contingencies and outcomes), and in which intertemporal budget constraints are always satisfied by assumption, default, bankruptcy and insolvency are impossible. As a result, illiquidity - both funding illiquidity and market illiquidity - are also impossible, unless the guilt-ridden economic theorist imposes some unnatural (given the structure of the models he is working with), arbitrary friction(s), that made something called ‘money’ more liquid than everything else, but for no good reason. The irony of modeling liquidity by imposing money as a constraint on trade was lost on the profession. 上記の文章を次のように訳してみました。誤訳、不適切な訳等の指摘を歓迎します。 最も影響力のある新古典派、新ケインズ派の経済理論家らは皆、経済学で言うところの「完備市場」の枠組みで物事を捉えている。考えられ得るあらゆる性質(考えられ得るあらゆる偶発事象や結果)をカバーする条件付き請求権を取引する市場が存在する世界、異時点間の予算制約が常に仮定によって満たされる世界では、債務不履行や破産、支払い不能は考えられない。したがって、非流動性――資金調達の際の非流動性や市場の非流動性――もまた、考えることはできない――もしそれに後ろめたさを感じる経済理論家がなんらかの(当人が扱っている経済モデルの構造からすれば)不自然で、恣意的な摩擦係数を設定しない限り。それは貨幣と呼ばれるものをなんら正当な理由もなしに他のなによりも流動性に富むものにした。お金を取引上の制約因子として設定することで流動性をモデル化するということの皮肉さは彼らには無縁だった。

• Financial Timesのコラムの一節

今回は Financial Times からです。 上記ウェブサイトの経済コラムの「アメリカ資本主義の終焉」と題する文章の一節で意味がわからない部分があるので教えて下さい。 全文は以下のサイトで読めます。 http://blogs.ft.com/maverecon/2008/09/the-end-of-american-capitalism-as-we-knew-it/ ここから2つの段落だけを引用します。 Even where private deposit insurance exists, this is only sufficient to handle bank runs on a subset of the banks in the system. Private banks collectively cannot self-insure against a generalised run on the banks. Once the state underwrites the deposits or makes alternative funding available as lender of last resort, deposit-based banking is a license to print money. That suggests that either deposit-banking licenses should be periodically auctioned off competitively or that depostit-taking banks should be in public ownership to ensure that the tax payer gets the rents as well as the risks.The argument that financial intermediation cannot be entrusted to the private sector can now be extended to include the new, transactions-oriented, capital-markets-based forms of financial capitalism. 2番目の段落の文章 That suggests that either deposit-banking licenses should be periodically auctioned off competitively or that depostit-taking banks should be in public ownership to ensure that the tax payer gets the rents as well as the risks. を訳していただけないでしょうか。(特に悩んでいるのは the rents の意味ですが。rents の解釈についてだけでもかまいません) よろしくお願い致します。

• 英Spectator誌のコラムの一節

今回は英国誌 Spectator のユーモアコラムからです。筆者は Hugo Rifkind 氏。 自分にはわからないことがいろいろあると述べた中での文章です。 一段落分を引用します。 I certainly don’t understand what has been going on at Cern, although that seems to be OK. In fact, there would appear to have been some sort of columnists’ moratorium circulated on Cern, even though I wasn’t cc’d in on it, which basically says that nobody needs to understand it, but everybody can write about it anyway, and the fact that nobody really knows what the hell they are on about is just one of the things that makes the whole damn shebang so thoroughly clever and super. I’m hoping this approach doesn’t catch on, and spread to other areas, or I might be out of a job. 文中の Cern は「欧州合同素粒子原子核研究機構」。先頃、世界最大の素粒子加速実験を行ったことで話題になりました。 上記段落中の次の文章の解釈にやや自信がないので解説・訳などをお願い致します。 In fact, there would appear to have been some sort of columnists’ moratorium circulated on Cern なお、全文はこちらで読めます。 http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/columnists/2088411/shared-opinion.thtml

• work a third shift

I sometimes work a third shift. とあったのですが、どのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• she gives me a good deal

For the past four years, I've been having a friend do my hair. "Marcy" and I knew each other in grade school and lost touch, but I saw on Facebook that she was doing hair and decided to start seeing her. She is a very sweet woman and is passionate about her work, and I am grateful that she gives me a good deal. she gives me a good dealというのは「値引きしてくれる」ということでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英Times紙のコラムの一節・Be that face and~

前の質問の決着がついていませんが、手元に質問がたまっているので、同時並行して質問させていただきます。 英Times紙のコラムからです。前回の質問と同様、オバマ氏の大統領選挙勝利をめぐり書かれた多くのコラムの中のひとつ。 筆者はマシュー・パリス氏。「Calm down! He's not President of the World」と題する10月8日のものです。 内容は、オバマ氏に対する熱狂を戒め、もっと冷静に対処することを呼びかけたもの。 後半の段落を3つ引用します。 He is the pop star whose poster adorns the adolescent's bedroom wall; the Blessed Mary who understands her supplicant's every woe; the gentle Jesus, a personal friend who will not forget us; the David Beckham who is surely deeper/cleverer/gayer/more cultured (depending on your bent) than he seems; the Queen Mother who, if she ever had come to tea, would have got on with us like a house on fire. It is desperately important that we never meet these people, for reality would be cruel. We thought they knew our joys and woes, heard our prayers, and when it dawns on us that the demigod at whose feet we laid them hasn't listened, can't help, or doesn't care, our sense of rebuff will be personal. In our minds we were friends. Believe me, the disillusion when Elton John looks bored to meet you and turns away can be bitter. There is no limit to the adoration of the potential fan club for an individual who - in myth or reality - can present a welcoming, receptive but essentially blank face with warmth, with charm, and perhaps a little guile too. Be that face and tremendous power will be transmitted through you, for you will be reflecting - back upon those who sent them - a million prayers. 上記文中の Be that face and tremendous power will be transmitted through you, for you will be reflecting - back upon those who sent them - a million prayers. の訳をご教示ください。 なお、前の2段落の訳はざっと次のようなものと思います。 オバマ氏は、若者が寝室の壁に飾るポスターとなるようなポピュラー音楽のスター。嘆願者達のすべての悩みに理解を示す聖母マリア。慈悲深きキリスト。我々のことを常に気にかけてくれる個人的友人。見かけよりも確実に深みがあり、賢明で、陽気、教養を備えた(あなたのお好み次第でどれでも)デビッド・ベッカム。もし我々の家にお茶のために立ち寄ったとしたら、まことに上手く会話に溶け込める英国女王。 こういった人物達に決して会わないことが極めて重要事である。現実は残酷なものだからだ。彼らは我々の喜びや悲しみを承知している、我々の願いを聞き届けてくれる、そう我々は思い込んでいる。そして、我々がその足元に身を投げ出した神々しい存在が、我々の言葉に注意を払わず、手を差し伸べることをせず、あるいは、なんとも思っていないということがうっすらと感じ取れるようになったとき、自分が拒絶されたという感覚は切実なものとなる。心の中では我々は友人同士だったのに。実際、エルトン・ジョンがあなたに会って退屈そうにし、そそくさとどこかに行ってしまったとしたら、失望のほどは思い知られよう。

• IHTのコラムの一節4

例によってインターナショナル・ヘラルド・トリビューン紙のコラムの一節からの質問です。中途の文章の2つほど、解釈に自信がないので訳をお願い致します。 前後の段落を含めて引用します。 I'm not about to write a paean to Nixon. I watched him quit in a bar in Bolinas, California; I can still hear the cheer. But even his tortured nature betrayed some essential seriousness about the fate of the United States of America. By contrast, the Bush crowd has gambled the future of this country with abandon. (And Nixon did resign. Whatever happened to the notion that someone - a Cabinet member, a Wall Street CEO, the inventor of credit-default swaps - might actually fall on his or her sword? Shame has become a quaint chivalric notion, like honor, a thing of another American time.) Let's take a closer look at the Bush gamble. It's worth doing, because the first person in this country to re-price risk on the basis that it no longer existed was the president. Now, that's leading by example. The gamble involved going to war in Iraq at an estimated cost to date of about $700 billion (does that figure sound familiar?) while opting not to raise taxes but lower them. It involved going into that war, and another in Afghanistan, while asking not for shared sacrifice but a collective maxing-out in the service of shopping. 上記の文章中の because the first person in this country to re-price risk on the basis that it no longer existed was the president. Now, that's leading by example. の訳をお願い致します。 なお、他の部分をざっと訳すと次の通りです。 私は別段ニクソン大統領を誉めそやそうというのではない。私は彼の辞任発表をカリフォルニアのボリナスのバーのテレビで見守った。その時の歓声はいまだに耳に残っている。しかし、彼の屈折した性向の中にさえ、アメリカの将来に対するある本質的な真面目さがうかがえた。これとは対照的に、ブッシュ政権の人々は自分達の思うがままにこの国の未来を担保にして大博打をやっている。 (それにニクソンは実際に職を退いたのだ。誰かが――政権内の人間、ウォール街のCEO、CDSの発明者などが――自らの失敗の責任をとるという考えは一体どうなったのか? 「恥」という概念は奇妙な、騎士道的概念、「名誉」と同様に、アメリカの古きよき時代の概念になってしまった。 ブッシュのやった大博打を仔細に検討してみよう。それはやってみる価値がある。なぜなら、the first person in this country to re-price risk on the basis that it no longer existed was the president. Now, that's leading by example. その大博打とは、イラクとの戦争を開始したこと。現時点で推定7000億ドルのコストがかかっている(またかというような額である)。それも、増税どころか減税しながらである。それから、イラクとは別にアフガニスタンでも戦闘を展開していること。国民の間で犠牲を分かち合おうと呼びかけることはせず、国民が一丸となってショッピングに従事することを最大化しようと図りながらである。

• 和訳 His work is……

和訳 His work is…… His work is an exploration of the strong tendency in English literature and histori- ography to posit a longing for a golden age in which the city (and the forms of complex social organization it both produces and comes to represent symbolically) was not the dominant venue of human life. 彼の作品は英国の文学や修史の中に、その中で都市(と都市が生み出し象徴的に表現するようになる複雑な社会組織の形式)は人の人生にとって最もふさわしい場所ではなかったという、ある黄金時代へのあこがれがあると想定する、ある強い傾向の探究書である?? 都会と田舎の比較から、都会には田舎の生活に対するあこがれがある云々といった内容ですが、In which以下の文章がよくわかりません。特にカッコ内のit bothのitは何を指すのでしょう?