• 締切済み

I never could see myself...

以下の文章の「I never could see myself that much was the matter with me,except that I had a beastly cold.」という部分がどういう構文になっているのか、どういう意味なのか分かりません。  Many years ago when I was a young man,I was taken very ill-I never could see myself that much was the matter with me,except that I had a beastly cold. But I suppose it was something very serious,for the doctor said that I ought to have come to him a month before, and that if it,whatever it was,had gone on for another week he would not have answered for the consequences.  以上ですが宜しくお願い致します。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数0

みんなの回答

• scaddi231
  • ベストアンサー率47% (33/70)
回答No.2

No.1の訂正と補足です。 [訂正] coundn't => couldn't [補足] 最終的に意味は 「何が起こっているのかそれほどよくわかっていなかった。ただ、酷い風邪を引いてしまったなということは理解できた。」 that muchの“that”は、おそらく“as much as I can make it”の“as”のことであり、“as I can make it”は省略されたものだと思います。結構よく使いますよ。 要は、「~に対して十分なほど(ではない)」という意味です。

0123gokudo
質問者

補足

早速の回答ありがとうございます。まだよく分からないのですが、 was the matter with meの主語と意味はどう考えたらいいのでしょうか? that much was the matter with me(多くは私に関する事であった)---これをthat節と考え、seeの目的節と考えたら間違いですか?意味はよく分からなくなりますが・・・

• scaddi231
  • ベストアンサー率47% (33/70)
回答No.1

これ、口語っぽいですね。 声に出すと理解できるかも知れないです。形を見ると勘違いします。 1番目のthatと2番目のthatは無関係です。 see: 理解する that much: そんなに, それほど beastly: 恐ろしく 綺麗に整頓して分かり易く置き換えると.... I coundn't catch my condition well, which is going on, but I could understand that it was a dreadful illness.

関連するQ&A

• この難文、解りやすく説明していたたけませんか?

以下の文章の「I never could see myself that much was the matter with me,except that I had a beastly cold.」という部分がどういう構文になっているのか、どういう意味なのか分かりません。seeの目的語はmyselfなのか、それともthat以下なのか?wasの主語は何なのか? that muchは「それほど」という意味で句と考えるのか?それともthat節のthatなのか?muchの意味は?  Many years ago when I was a young man,I was taken very ill-I never could see myself that much was the matter with me,except that I had a beastly cold. But I suppose it was something very serious,for the doctor said that I ought to have come to him a month before, and that if it,whatever it was,had gone on for another week he would not have answered for the consequences.  以上ですが宜しくお願い致します。

• She's someone i could see myself with.

ガールフレンドを探してる男の子が言った言葉です。 i don't like her as a romantic interest but she's someone i could see myself with see myself withってどういう意味でしょうか。 宜しくお願いいたします。

• It was so cold that I could see my breath.

NHKラジオ英会話講座より (1)It was so cold that I could see my breath. とても寒かったので、息が白く見えた。 (2)We whispered so that no one would hear us. 誰にも聞こえないように僕達はひそひそ話した。 (質問)could,wouldについて教えて下さい。 (1)It was so cold that I saw my breath.とcouldを削除してしまったら、どうニュアンスは変わりますか?could の持つ役割を教えて下さい。 (2)同様に、We whispered so that no one heard us.とwouldを削除してしまったら、どうニュアンスは変わりますか?wouldの持つ役割を教えて下さい。  couldはcan(~が出来る)の過去形、wouldはwill(~だろう)の過去形、くらいの知識しかありません。 would/couldの初歩の道標をお願い申し上げます。以上

• I never wasとI was never

I never wasとI was neverの違いを教えてください。 海外のサイトで同様の質問を見つけましたが、いまいち理解できませんでした。 I never was a good cook. Possible context: Lisa's mother-in-law has pressured her to prepare Thanksgiving dinner for the extended family. Lisa has reluctantly agreed. She made an honest try but made a key mistake and the turkey was a failure. "Well, you know, I never was a good cook." I was never a good cook. Possible context: Margaret, in her eighties and living in a nursing home, is being interviewed by a gerontology student. She confides to the student, "I was never a good cook."

• 和訳を教えてください

和訳を教えてください 1 Androclus saw that it was a long. sharp thorn which hurt the lion so much. 2 Until that question was asked it had never occurred to me that I had been so happy. よろしくお願いします

• 英語のメール、、、

スイマセン、ペンパルからメールを貰ったんですが、ちょっと意味のわからない事かいてあるんです・・・なぜ自分は日本の女性に興味があるのかという理由を書いてくれたのですが、意味がわかりません。わかる方お願いします。 She was so Beautiful that I did not want to shut my eyes until the scene was over. After the movie I went to sleep. Suddenly I saw the same girl in my dream. Except she was in a white dress and jade rose petals fell this time. (I wish I finished that dream) Suddenly I woke up. I was late for shcool. TO make it worse it was raining the next day. As I got to school I noticed that many people were wearing rain coats. But the strange part was this: Every one had a hoody and umbrella. As they took them down I noticed that almost all of them were"JAPANESE"! I had been in that school for almost a year and I had never noticed I had Japanese fellow students. It was so surprising that I could not close my mouth! I wanted to talk to them but I did not know what to say. I could not speak. I did not want to sound stupid. But now that I have met you I know exactly what to say. It was something I could never say because I was so much in love with the beauty they have, that I was stunned. SO Now I have met you I will say what I could not say then........."HELLO"!

• 英訳の分からないところお願い致します。

"I got drunk and fell over a lot. I wasn't happy," he said later that year. "And I never had a drink problem, no matter what the papers said. Not having anything to do was the hardest thing. I let myself waste away doing nothing and, for a while, I bought in to that rock'n'roll thing. I jumped from one myth to another. It was a security blanket." *ロビーウイルアムズが飲酒問題について語った時の記事です。 僕は酒を飲んでなんども転んだ。僕は幸せじゃなかった。 のあとよろしくお願いします

• couldの意味

I desperately need your help. I thoroughly love my solitude. I love to garden, cook, sew and read. I grill every few weeks and make it a fantastic outdoor experience just for me. I could hardly wait to retire so I could finally enjoy myself completely. 最後の文のcouldはなぜcanではないのでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• [英語]並び替え問題を教えて下さい><

1. Had () () () () () () her father was once the president of the company, she would never have been employed. (1) it (2) the fact (3) been (4) for (5) not (6) that 2. It was () () () () () () I discovered how important it is to be able to speak English. (1) I (2) not (3) to work (4) that (5) until (6) began 3. I heard a rumor that the man was very dangerous and that on () () () () () () child alone. (1) account (2) leave (3) you (4) no (5) must (6) your

• I got myself a reference bookの【myself】

【all in one】を使って勉強中です。今回はその例文から質問させてください。  (all in one)→ http://www.allinone-english.com/ 例文38です A friend of mine found this instruction manual for me, but it has quite a few unfamiliar terms in it, so I got myself a reference book to look up their definitions. この項目はSVOOを説明する項目です 【I got myself a reference book】はその趣旨に沿った文章なのですが 単に 【I got a reference book】ではいけないのでしょうか? また、 【myself】を入れることで何か意味上のニュアンスが変わってきますか? よろしくお願いいたします m(_ _"m)ペコリ