Analytics Companies Barra and RiskMetrics: Captured or Slipped Away?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Why were analytics companies Barra and RiskMetrics captured in the trend towards global investing?
  • Understanding the significance of Barra and RiskMetrics being captured in the past decade.
  • Exploring the reasons behind the success of analytics companies Barra and RiskMetrics.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文の内容

Several slipped away, such as Lehman Brothers’ bond indices (now owned by Bloomberg). But Barra, the analytics company founded by fabled quant investor Barr Rosenberg, and JPMorgan’s RiskMetrics — the home of the “value-at-risk” measurement that dominates finance — were captured. These have profited from the trend towards more analytical, global investing during the past decade. 上記英文中で,文意からして,何故,were capturedなのかがわかりません。ご指導願います。

• jubu
  • お礼率86% (919/1061)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.1

この capture は「捕まえる」ではなく「魅了する、注意を引く」Image の capture だろうと思います。 例えば "He was captured the boss's attention. (彼は上司に目を掛けられた、または、上司の目にとまった)" という言い方があります。 ……この場合の「目を掛けられた」は「贔屓にされた」ではなく、上司の注意を引く仕事ぶりをしたとか成果を挙げたという意味ですが……。 Lehman Brothers’ は消えちゃったけれど JPMorgan’s は「(快く) 受け入れられたとか注目された」という意味を「captured through the word:世界中を魅了した:世界中から注目された」みたいな言い回しで表現したのではないでしょうか……実際 10 年間利益を挙げていたわけですし……。

jubu
質問者

お礼

感謝申し上げます。 今後とも宜しくお願い申し上げます。

関連するQ&A

• 英文を日本語訳して下さい。

The German advance then changed direction, moving from southerly to south-west. By 24 September, the town of Saint-Mihiel was captured and villages of Flirey, Seicheprey and Xivray recaptured. More French reinforcements arrived on 27 September but as the Germans were now firmly entrenched, French counter-attacks between Flirey and Apremont resulted in little change in the front line. French counter-attacks continued until 11 October. The battle created a salient projecting into the French lines south of Verdun, named the St Mihiel Salient. Of the two roads and one railway that led to Verdun, all but a minor road were closed, which imposed severe supply difficulties on the French troops in the RFV. The city was enveloped on three sides and neutralised as a base for French offensive operations. The area was to see much fighting over the rest of the war. Despite attempts by the French to reduce the salient in the First Battle of Woëvre in early 1915, the First Offensive Battle of Verdun in late 1916 and the Second Offensive Battle of Verdun in 1917, the salient was not reduced until the Battle of Saint-Mihiel in September 1918. The Maritz rebellion, also known as the Boer revolt or Five Shilling rebellion was an armed insurrection which occurred in South Africa in 1914 at the start of World War I, led by Boers who supported the reestablishment of the South African Republic in the Transvaal. Many members of the government were themselves former Boers who had fought with the Maritz rebels against the British in the Second Boer War, which had ended twelve years earlier. The rebellion failed, and the ringleaders received heavy fines and terms of imprisonment. At the end of the Second Boer War twelve years earlier, all former Boer combatants had been asked to sign a pledge that they would abide by the peace terms. Some, like Deneys Reitz, refused and were exiled from South Africa. Over the following decade many returned home, and not all of them signed the pledge upon returning. At the end of the second Boer War, those Boers who had fought to the end were known as "Bittereinders" ("bitter enders"); by the time of the rebellion, those who had not taken the pledge and wanted to start a new war had also become known as the "bitter enders." A German journalist who interviewed the former Boer general J.B.M. Hertzog for the Tägliche Rundschau wrote: Hertzog believes that the fruit of the three-year struggle by the Boers is that their freedom, in the form of a general South African Republic, will fall into their laps as soon as England is involved in a war with a Continental power. The Maritz rebellion マリッツ反乱

• この英文の和訳お願いします。 難しいです。

翻訳サイトだと意味がおかしくなるので質問しました。 Later in this book I will describe information gained from other sources. Twelve old people in the sample were kind enough to keep a diary of their activities for a week in the spring of 1955. Four of these diaries are reproduced in an appendix. Special surveys were made of the social and family background of old people seeking help from the social services: a sample group of some 200 people originating in East London who spent the last period of their lives in L.C.C homes; and finally, 400 people being visited by home helps in Bethnal Green. The object of these surveys was, first, to explore the respective functions of relatives and of the social services in helping to meet the needs of old people, and second, to pinpoint those groups who make the heaviest demands on statutory and voluntary provision. In presenting the results I have tried throughout to keep individual people in the forefront. The research worker is so anxious to establish patterns, uniformities, and systems of social action that he is tempted to plan questionnaires that can be filled in simply and to confine his report largely to classificatory lists and tables of statistics. The uniqueness of each individual and each family is probably the fundamental difficulty about this. However those to be studied are selected, whether on grounds of likeness in age, situation, occupation, or class, once one meets them and behavior, relationships, attitude and interpretation. Standard questions, prepared beforehand, mean different things to different people; they are sometimes appropriate, sometimes inappropriate; by themselves they do not provide an adequate means of thoroughly investigating subjects as complex as this. Before one can apply or interpret the reliability of answers to set questions, one needs a fair idea of the most important relationships, activities, and characteristics of each person approached, important, that is, as they are judged by him. Too many of the principal features of social life might otherwise be missed or misrepresented. Although I believe with conviction that the methods of interviewing should be flexible and that reports on social research should convey the quality and diversity of individual and social behavior, I am not suggesting that the search for patterns of behavior, through statistical analysis and correlation, is not important. I am submitting only that once a social inquiry moves beyond simple description and measurement, for instance, of facts of a basically demographic kind, the build-up of statistics and indices of behavior becomes a subtle and complicated process that can only proceed in the context of a wide knowledge of the societies concerned. And such knowledge cannot be gained unless there is direct and continuous acquaintance with the people who are being studied.

• 英文の内容について教えてください

シーナ・アイエンガーの「The Art of Choosing」からの英文です。 The desperation of a life in captivity is perhaps conveyed best in Rainer Maria Rilke's poem "The Panther": As the animal "paces in cramped circles, over and over," he seems to perform "a ritual dance around a center/ in which a mighty will stands paralyzed." Unlike the dogs in the Seligman experiment, the panther displays his paralysis not by lying still, but by constantly moving. 【Just like the helpless dogs, however, he cannot see past his confinement. "It seems to him there are / a thousand bars; and behind the bars, no world." Whether the bars are real or metaphorical, when one has no control, it is as if nothing exists beyond the pain of this loss.】 【】の中の英文についてですが、 監禁を通り越して見ることはできない、それは1000のバーがあるようだ。 バーの背後には世界はない。 バーが本当にあるか比喩的にあるとかに関わらず、 人が支配をしないとき、 まるでこの損失の痛みを越えて何も存在しないようである。 というようなことを言っていると思われるのですが、 past his confinement・・・・pastは"通り越して"と訳すのでしょうか? and behind the bars, no world・・・・ここの意味がよくわかりません。 when one has no control, it is as if nothing exists beyond the pain of this loss・・・・ここの意味もよくとれません。(この損失の痛みを越えて、の部分はどういうことをいっているのでしょう?)

• 英文の内容が知りたいです!!

英語を独学で習った方の文章です。 翻訳アプリを使用してみましたがまったくわかりませんでした…>_<… She's staring at me I'm sitting wondering wha t she's thinking, Nobody's talking, cause talking just turns into screaming, And now as I'm yellin' over her,she yellin' over me, All that that means is neither of us is listening, And what's even worse is that we don't even remember why we're fighting. So both of us are mad for, nothing fighting for, nothing crying for, nothing But we wont let it go for, nothing don't let for, nothing there should be, nothing To a love like what we got, oh baby. And it gets me upset girl when you're constantly accusing, Asking questions like you already know We're fighting this war, Baby when both of us are losing this ain't the way that love is supposed to go What happened to workin' it out? We fall into this place where you ain't back in' down and i ain't backing' down So what the hell do we do now? It's all for, nothing fighting for, nothing crying for, nothing We wont let it go for, nothing don't let for, nothing It should be, nothing To a love like what we got, oh baby I know sometimes its gonna rain, But baby can we make up now cause I can't sleep through the pain. Girl I don't wanna go to bed, mad at you And I don't want you to go to bed, mad at me No I don't wanna go to bed, mad at you And I don't want you to go to bed, mad at me... Baby, this love ain't gon' be perfect And just how good its gonna be We can fuss and we can fight Long as everything's all right between us before we go to sleep... Baby we're gonna be... Happy... どなたかお願いします!

• 少しキツイ内容かも知れませんが英文を訳して下さい

Rape apologists can step on all the Legos. Forever. Just a hell where you have to walk barefoot over seas of Legos for all eternity. 内容的に、少しキツイ表現があるのかも知れませんが、訳して欲しいです。 よろしくお願いします。

• 英文の内容について

callnoteというSkype録音ソフトが正常に動かずに会話が録音できなかったため問い合わせをしたところ 「My apologies for this issue, please check log files in the following location: c:\Users\<username>\Documents\Callnote\logs\ If you have it, please send it to us.」という返答がありました。 翻訳しましたが、イマイチ何をすれば良いか分かりません。この返答は何をしろと書いているのでしょうか?

• 英文の内容について教えてください。

ある製品を個人売買で売って、そのライセンスの譲渡についてメーカーに問い合わせたら 以下のような返事がきました。 you need to sell your product and contact me after that by e-mail together with the new owner. これは売った後に売主だけでなく、買主もメールで連絡が必要ということで よいでしょうか? 自信が無いのでどうかよろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文の内容がわかりません。

I can promise that i will think happy thoughts of you and might email you. if you ever need me for a dinner or a email or... you have but to ask. 私はあなたのうまいつきを考えて、あなたに メールするかもしれないと約束することが できます。 もしあなたが夕食かメールかその他の事で 私が必要とするなら、あなたはできますが、 しかし何がしてほしいのか尋ねさせて 下さい?? どこからどう訳していいのか、どういう気持ちで言ってる のかくみとれません。 少し省略してかいていますが、どなたか教えていただけます でしょうか?  宜しくお願いします。

• 英文の内容

All this argues for a change in thinking-especially among the politicians who have heaped regulations onto Western public companies, blithely assuming that businessfolk have no choice but to go public in the long run. Many firms now go (or stay) private to avoid red tape. The result is that ever more business is conducted in the dark, with rich insiders playing a more powerful role. 以上の英文で前半と後半の内容がしっくりこないのですが,お訳しください。

• この英文の内容、英文の作成について教えてください。

外国の学習サイト(ゲームで能力向上させるもの)にアクセスできません。 ユーザーネームとパスワードを入力すると If you just signed up, you may experience delay of up to 24 hours before the account is activated. If you experience a delay longer than this, please alert us through the contact box. という英文が出ます。これはどういう意味、どういった内容なのでしょうか? はじめ契約手続きでクレジットカードで料金を支払うのかと思っていたのですが、何の表示もなくて困ってしまいました。そのまま自分の情報を入力し、後で支払いはPayPalだということがわかり、順番が逆になったのですがその後にPayPalにも契約の手続きをとりました。 もう24時間どころか4日くらい経ってもアクセスできません。サイトに再度PayPalで引き落としてほしいとコンタクトした方が良いでしょうか?そうした場合、英語でどう表現すればよいでしょうか?どうか教えてください。