• 締切済み

watchとlookの動作イメージの違いについて

下記にan eldery woman's shoplifting を目撃したことを話すmailの文章があります。動詞を適語にして文を完成させます。 I was buying a new alarm clock the other day in Taylor's the jewellers, whan I actually saw somebody shoplifting. I'd just finished paying for my clock and as I turned around, an elderly woman was slowly putting a silver plate into a bag that She was carrying. Then she walked( was walking) over the another part of the shop and picked (was picking ) up an expensive-looking watch a number of times. when she thought that nobody was looking (looked), she dropped it into the bag. before I had a chance to tell the staff in the shop, She noticed that I was watching (watched) her and hurried out. Unfortunately for her, two police officers was walking past just at that moment and she ran straight into them. 上記の文の中の was looking とwas watching のみが正解らしいのですが、looked とwatched も それを最初から最後まで目撃したよ という意味ではlooked とwatchedもありだと思っています。 臨場感を考えると過去進行形しかありえないのでしょうか?それともlookとwatchの根本的な意味を間違っているのでしょうか?教えてください。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数3

みんなの回答

• IXTYS
  • ベストアンサー率30% (965/3197)
回答No.2

こんにちは。 良い指摘だと思います。 見るという意味の動詞には『see』『look』『watch』の三つが知られています。  『see』は漠然と視界に飛び込んで来る。  受け身の見る。 一方、『look』と『watch』積極的には意識して『注視する』『凝視する』 その意味では似ています。 両者の違いはその注視する対象が動いている物体かそうでないか。 動いている物体を凝視するのが『watch』なのです。   

nyanko33
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。このケースでは、『ある行動の最初から最後まで見る、目に入る』にあたるのはどれかという話ではないようですね。 watchの意味とlookの基本的違いがよくわかりました。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

1。上記の文の中の was looking とwas watching のみが正解らしいのですが、looked とwatched も それを最初から最後まで目撃したよ という意味ではlooked とwatchedもありだと思っています。 臨場感を考えると過去進行形しかありえないのでしょうか?  両方とも前にbe動詞の was がありますから、現在分詞を使って、過去進行形にしたのでしょう。 2。それともlookとwatchの根本的な意味を間違っているのでしょうか?  look はただ見る、watch は注意して見るです。しかし上の文では、  when she thought that nobody was looking 「誰も見ていないと彼女が思った時」も、She noticed that I was watching her 「私が見ていると彼女が気づいた」も、look と watch、どちらを使ってもいいと思います。

nyanko33
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます。なんとなく、理解できた気がします。 「誰も(その時)見ている状態にない」「私が(その時)見ている状態にない」としようと思えば 進行形しかない。ということなんですね、きっと。

関連するQ&A

• The Perfect Woman 英詩の訳し方。

こんにちは。下記に記します英詩の翻訳が上手に出来ません。どうか、アドバイスをお願い致します。 英詩(原文) ~ The Perfect Woman ~ Her eyes like an angel looking down at me with a smile so heavenly just want her with me. Although sometimes its hard to look and see which girl will eventually be the one for me but this time there will be no mistake because she's everything I've looked for to this day so when I ask to marry her what will she say well I guess I'll know when I find a woman that will stay. この詩の中で、二行目 just want her with me の訳し方 と最後の行 I find a woman that will stay のTHAT は何を指し示しているのでしょうか?全体的な訳し方も知りたいですが、これらの訳し方も御教え頂けましたら幸いです。詩は、省かれて書かれている部分が多く、中々上手く訳せません。アドバイスをどうぞ宜しくお願い致します。

• to beとto have been について

Mary is believed to be an actress although she is a quiet old woman now. Mary is believed to have been an actress although she is a quiet old woman now. Mary is believed that she is an actress although she is a quiet old woman now. Mary is believed that she was an actress although she is a quiet old woman now. 上記の4つの文の違いを教えて下さい。 よろしくお願いします。

• fireworks は see、watch どちらも同じように使えますか?

I saw fireworks at the waterfront. I chatted and watched the fireworks. see と watch と同じ「見る」でしょうか?

• look likeとbe like、lookの違い

こんにちは。お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 題名にも有りますように、look likeとbe like、lookの違いがよく分りません。 今、読んでいる本で、主人公が小人になり、部屋に置いてあるおもちゃの家に気づき、眺める場面で、 このような描写が有りました。 They looked at the house. It looked a big house. この文を読んだときは、おぼろげながらに意味をとったのですが、別の場面で、 今度は主人公が庭の草むらに入った場面で、 The children were in the grass and everything looked big. The grass was like a jungle. という描写をみるにあたり、look likeとbe like、lookの違いがさっぱり分からなくなってしまいました。 また、別の場面、こんどは主人公が恐竜の世界に迷い込んだ場面で、 It’s an apatosaurus. It’s like the one in the museum. It won't hurt us. という描写と、別の恐竜にあった場面で Another dinosaur was coming and it looked very fierce. という描写をみるにあたり、すっかり違いがわからず混乱してしまいました。 どのような違いがあるのでしょうか? どなたか、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• look とseeの違いがよく分りません

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 以下のような文で、それぞれlookをseeに、seeをlookに置き換えることは可能でしょうか? 1、‟Look,”said Wilma.they saw a little boy.The boy was pulling a toboggan. 2、A pirate came up. He looked at the children.‟Children!” said the pirate. どちらも、初めて見るものに気づいたので、置き換えは可能なのではないかと思うのですが...。look とseeの違いがいまいちよく分らないのです。 どなたか、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 和訳してください。

英語に詳しい方、翻訳機を使わずに和訳してください。 細かい部分がよく理解できません。 I trying to convince her that she didn't need to ask me for everything, that I wasn't always right about everything, that she should speak up and stand up for herself and argue with me when I had the wrong idea... but she just didn't want to learn. Deep down inside, I discovered, she was the sort of woman who wanted a strong man to dominate her, whom she could lean on and rely on for anything she needed. She wanted to feel safe and taken care of. I don't think that's a bad thing on its own... but over those years I started to become a man I don't want to be: arrogant, controlling, overconfident. Like I couldn't help but enjoy all that power she was always giving me. But I don't want to be that man. And I don't want to live that relationship. I *have* to be able to grow, to learn, to always be taking life as a new lesson, but how can I do that if I'm never wrong about anything? It was too tempting, and it made me a darker person. So, though I loved her very much and it tore my heart to do it, I had to end our relationship. I was not the man she was looking for, even though she wanted me to be. And she was not the woman I have been looking for, even though I desperately loved her beauty and inner light

• 関係代名詞なんですが・・

I saw a girl.She was walking in the park 2文をthatを用いて1文にかきなおせ!という問題があるとします。 a girlをthatとした場合どうなるんでしょうか? 教えてください

• Go wild.

'We've got the local paper on microfiche,' said the woman. She was large, and had silver hoops in her ears. Scarlett could feel her heart pounding in her chest; she was certain she looked guilty or suspicious, but the woman led her into a room with boxes that looked like computer screens, and showed her how to use them, to project a page of the newspaper at a time on to the screen. 'One day we'll have it all digitised,' said the woman. 'Now, what dates are you after?'  'About thirteen or fourteen years ago,' said Scarlett, 'I can't be more specific than that. I'll know it when I see it.'  The woman gave Scarlett a small box with five years' worth of newspapers on microfilm in it. 'Go wild,' she said.  上の文中のGo wild.を翻訳してください.

• 英語の訳をお願いします!!

I was in the cafe by the north entrance to the station, reading my paper and having a coffee .I had an appointment with a client nearby and I was killing time because I'd arrived half an hour early.I suddenly heard a terrible shout, and when I looked out of the window,I saw that a woman was in the middle of the crossing. I assumed she'd fallen off her bicycle because it was lying on the tracks and all her shopping had come out of her basket.People were calling out to her from the road.Some were telling her to stay put and others were telling her to get off the crossing. She didn't seem to know what to do.She just say there.One of the waiters in the cafe saw this and ran out to get her.

• 過去完了は過去の一瞬の動作を表す?

I was watching the video when the call from the client came through という文章があります 僕は I had watched the video~ かと思ったのですが正解はI was watchingでした 理由は過去完了は一瞬の動作を表し、 過去形は動作の一部始終を表すからだという事ですが これがよくわかりません なぜこの文は過去形を使うのでしょうか?? よろしくお願いします