lookとseeの違いが分かる?初学者向け解説

このQ&Aのポイント
  • lookとseeの違いについて解説します。lookは意識的に視覚を向けることを表し、seeは偶然に目に入ることを表します。
  • 例文1では、Wilmaがlookを使って子供たちを見つけたことを伝えています。例文2では、海賊が偶然に子供たちを見つけたことを伝えています。
  • つまり、lookは意図的な視覚行為、seeは偶発的な目撃を表すという違いがあります。初学者にとっては細かい違いかもしれませんが、文脈によって使い分けることが重要です。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

look とseeの違いがよく分りません

こんにちは。 お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 以下のような文で、それぞれlookをseeに、seeをlookに置き換えることは可能でしょうか? 1、‟Look,”said Wilma.they saw a little boy.The boy was pulling a toboggan. 2、A pirate came up. He looked at the children.‟Children!” said the pirate. どちらも、初めて見るものに気づいたので、置き換えは可能なのではないかと思うのですが...。look とseeの違いがいまいちよく分らないのです。 どなたか、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英語
  • 回答数2
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.2

電車で正面に女子高生が座っていたとします。 いいミニスカートです。ピンクです。いいですね~。 あなたはつい、その美しき情景に見入ってしまいました。 すると女子高生が、「ちょっとあんた何見てんの!?」的な? 慌てたあなたは、「違いますよ!見えてきただけです!」って言い訳を返しました。 間抜けです。 この場合、前者はlook (at)、後者がseeです listenとhearと同じ関係ですね 意図的に見たか、光景が目に飛び込んできたか、という違いです。 例文の場合、どちらも”見る”というニュアンスで使われています。 ”見える”の場合がsee、”見る”という自発的行動の場合がlookです。 ですからこの場合、言い換えると不自然じゃないかと思いますよ。 ちなみに、watchも同じ”見る”という意味です。 動くものの場合watch、静止しているものの場合look、というように使い分けます。

jiqimao80
質問者

お礼

丁寧かつ詳細なご説明、有難うございます。 ご記載くださいました例え話に、思わず吹き出してしまいました。 ですが、それを読んで、分からなかった点が全て合点がいきました。 watchとlookの違いも教えて下さり、有難うございました。 大変勉強になりました。 有難うございました。

その他の回答 (1)

回答No.1

それぞれいくつかの用法がありますが, 基本として look は意思をもって「視線を向ける」です。 see は「視覚という感覚があるから見える」(あくまでも基本です) 文法的には look の場合,look at ~で「~を見る,見つめる」 1「見ろ」という場合,「視線を向ける」わけですので look がよく, かつ,look だけでいいです。(自動詞といいます) 「見ろ」と言われて視線を向けたら(結果として)「見えた」 というのが saw であり,何が見えたかが a little child です。 see の場合は何を見る(何が見える)かを see の後におきます。 (目的語といい,see を他動詞といいます) 2 は自ら意思をもって「子どもたちを見た・見つめた」わけですので look at ~となります。

jiqimao80
質問者

お礼

丁寧かつ詳細なご説明、有難うございます。 二つの単語に、ここまで違いがあるとは思いませんでした。 ご説明を見て、分からなかった点も全て合点がいきました。 大変勉強になりました。 有難うございました。

関連するQ&A

• look likeとbe like、lookの違い

こんにちは。お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 題名にも有りますように、look likeとbe like、lookの違いがよく分りません。 今、読んでいる本で、主人公が小人になり、部屋に置いてあるおもちゃの家に気づき、眺める場面で、 このような描写が有りました。 They looked at the house. It looked a big house. この文を読んだときは、おぼろげながらに意味をとったのですが、別の場面で、 今度は主人公が庭の草むらに入った場面で、 The children were in the grass and everything looked big. The grass was like a jungle. という描写をみるにあたり、look likeとbe like、lookの違いがさっぱり分からなくなってしまいました。 また、別の場面、こんどは主人公が恐竜の世界に迷い込んだ場面で、 It’s an apatosaurus. It’s like the one in the museum. It won't hurt us. という描写と、別の恐竜にあった場面で Another dinosaur was coming and it looked very fierce. という描写をみるにあたり、すっかり違いがわからず混乱してしまいました。 どのような違いがあるのでしょうか? どなたか、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• A Mother's Lullaby (2)

続きです.. She was very weak,but she tried to be a mother to the poor little boy. She held him in her arms like a real mother. "Mommy," the boy was still crying. "Be a good boy," said the girl. "You'll be alright." she held the boy more tightly and began to sing again. After a while the boy stopped crying and quietly died. But the little mother did not stop singing. It was a sad lullaby. The girl's voice became weaker and weaker. Morning came and the sun rose,but the girl never moved again. 以上です。 宜しくお願いします(T_T)

• watchとlookの動作イメージの違いについて

下記にan eldery woman's shoplifting を目撃したことを話すmailの文章があります。動詞を適語にして文を完成させます。 I was buying a new alarm clock the other day in Taylor's the jewellers, whan I actually saw somebody shoplifting. I'd just finished paying for my clock and as I turned around, an elderly woman was slowly putting a silver plate into a bag that She was carrying. Then she walked( was walking) over the another part of the shop and picked (was picking ) up an expensive-looking watch a number of times. when she thought that nobody was looking (looked), she dropped it into the bag. before I had a chance to tell the staff in the shop, She noticed that I was watching (watched) her and hurried out. Unfortunately for her, two police officers was walking past just at that moment and she ran straight into them. 上記の文の中の was looking とwas watching のみが正解らしいのですが、looked とwatched も それを最初から最後まで目撃したよ という意味ではlooked とwatchedもありだと思っています。 臨場感を考えると過去進行形しかありえないのでしょうか?それともlookとwatchの根本的な意味を間違っているのでしょうか?教えてください。

• story of my life の一文です。

Every man declared that he had seen at least one deer, and that the animal had come very close; but however hotly the dogs might pursue the game, however well the guns might be aimed, at the snap of the trigger there was not a deer in sight. "They had been as fortunate as the little boy who said he came very near seeing a rabbit–he saw his tracks" 下の2行”Thy had---"がよくわかりません。 ” as fortunate as ---” ---と同じくらい幸運だったとするのでしょうが、  ” the little boy” が何なのか見当もつきません、 念のため前に戻り読み返しても少年は出てきません。 お盆休み中とは思いますが、よければお願いします。

• oneの使い方がいまいちよく分りません。

こんにちは。お世話になります。 英語初学者です。 英文を読んでいたら、 博物館での描写で、 They looked at a big dinosaur. ‟What is this one called?”asked wilf. ‟I don't know yet,”said nadim. ‟Let’go and see.” と言う英文が有りました。 この後も描写が続き、今度は博物館内でアテンド嬢から説明を受けているシーンで ‟I khow what that one is called,” という英文が有りました。 この時、英文を読んでいた際も、なぜ普通にit を使うのではなくoneを使うのか いまいちよく分らなかったのですが、 本日、別の本で The magic took the children to the sea,where lots of boats. Chip pointed to a yellow submarine. ‟Look at that one,” he said. ‟It looks just like wilf's submarine!” という英文に出会い、ますます意味が分からなくなってしまいました。 なぜ、it やthis やthatを使わず、oneを使うのでしょうか? どなたか、教えては下さいませんでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。

• 英作文の添削をお願いします

大学入試の問題です。英作文が苦手なので少しでも点数を伸ばせればと思っています。他にもいくつか投稿しようと思っていますので添削していただければうれいしいです。(><) 問題 下の絵にかかれた状況を自由に解釈し45~55語の英語で説明せよ。 The woman had putted a chocolate on the dish. however,now,it was disappeared. So she asked her children with anger whether they had eaten it. They answered "no",but when she looked at around the boy`s mouth,she found that the boy had eaten it.(46words) 不自然なところがあれば訂正お願いしますm(__)m

• 英語の和訳です。お願いします!!

I was doing some last-minute Christmas shopping in a toy store and decided to look at Barbie dolls for my nieces. A nicely dressed little girl was excitedly looking through the Barbie dolls as well, with a roll of money clamped tightly in her little hand. When she came upon a Barbie she liked, she would turn and ask her father if she had enough money to buy it. He usually said "yes," but she would keep looking and keep going through their ritual of "do I have enough?"  As she was looking, a little boy wandered in across the aisle and started sorting through the Pokemon toys. He was dressed neatly, but in clothes that were obviously rather worn, and wearing a jacket that was probably a couple of sizes too small. He too had money in his hand, but it looked to be no more than five dollars or so at the most. He was with his father as well, and kept picking up the Pokemon video toys. Each time he picked one up and looked at his father, his father shook his head,"no".

• 英文の和訳をお願いできないでしょうか

" Well, then," said Epimetheus, who was a very good-tempered child, like a multitude of children in those days, "let us run out and have a merry time with our playmates." "I am tired of merry times, and don't care if I never have anymore!" answered our pettish little Pandora.... "At least, " said she, "you can tell me how it came here." "It was just left at the door," replied Epimetheus, "just before you came, by a person who looked very smiling and intelligent, and who could hardly forbear laughing as he put it down" 心苦しい部分もあるのですが以上の分の和訳を教えていただいてもいいでしょうか? 関係詞? 仮定法?  自分でやってみてもいまいちわからなくて。。

• 日本語に翻訳してください!

Teresa loved children very much. She liked to talk about a little boy who was brought to her by some Sisters. He was suffering from a bad stomachache. “So I sat the child down and asked when he last ate something. That morning? Nothing. Last night? Nothing. Yesterday? Nothing. The stomachache came from hunger!” Teresa worked hard for poor children. For example, she started an international fund that helps children by supporting programs to train them. 宜しくお願いします。

• 何方かこの英文を日本語に訳してください。

Early on the morning of August 6 ,1945, Shigeru left home for Hiroshima. His class had to work in Nakajima-Shinmachi in the center of the city. It was a beautiful summer morning. Hs lunch that day was rice, wheat and beans. The wheat and beans were the first harvest from the new field. About a little past eight, there was a sudden flash and Shigeru's mother, Shigeko, heard a roaring sound. She looked up and saw a big mushroom cloud high up in the sky in the direction of Hiroshima. she was worried about her son's safety. Later that day, many people came back to Itsukaichi from Hiroshima. Some were badly injured and others were seriously burnt. they all said Hiroshima was a sea fo flames. Shigeru did not come home that night. The next day, Shigeko decided to go and look for shigeru. She and shigeru's uncle left for Hiroshima. In the city they saw lost of dead people here and there. The city was totally destroyed. Shigeko was afraid her son was dead. She and Shigeru's uncle looked for Shigeru around Nakajima-Shinmachi. She looked at one body after another, but she couldn't find him. On August 8, Shigeko received some information about Shigeru. It said that Shigeru was some where around Nakajima-Shinmachi. She and Shigeru's uncle went to the same place again. They looked and looked for him. After some time the uncle said, "I don't think we can find him around here. Let's go to another place." Shigeko would not listen. Shigeru was some where near. Suddenly she thonght she heard shigeru's voice. "Mom!" it said. she stepped toward a body. It was only bones. She held her breath. Under the bones, she saw an ash - covered, blackened lunch box. The name "Orimen" was carved on it. She opened it and found everything there-rice, wheat and beans. She thought, "Everything is exactly the same, but in has all turned black. Shigery had no chance to eat his lunch." She was in tears. She borught home his bonse and ashes and the lunch box. A few bays later Shigeko went out to their field and sprinkled Shigeru's ashes there. Sprinkled Shigeru's ashes there. The next year, she planted a white hydrangea in the field. Even today, over sixty years later, the plant still puts forth beautiful white flowers.