Divorcing After 43 Years: How to Tell My Young-Adult Children

このQ&Aのポイント
  • How can I break the news of my divorce to my young-adult children after 43 years of marriage? This is especially difficult as one of them will be getting married next year.
  • Learn how to present a united front to your young-adult children when informing them about your divorce after 43 years of marriage.
  • Discover the meaning of 'present a united front' and how it applies to the challenge of telling your young-adult children about your divorce after 43 years of marriage.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

present a united front

How do I tell my young-adult children that their father and I are divorcing after 43 years of marriage? One of them will be getting married next year, which makes this harder for me. This is their father's doing and decision. I'm not sure I can present a united front. present a united frontとは平たく言うとどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4123/5358)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

"present a united front" で「共同戦線を張る」です。 平たく言うと、「夫と口裏を合わせて、離婚は二人で決めたことで、この決断に悔いはない、と子供たちに説明する」ということだと思います。 [解説] この離婚の原因は父親(夫)の方にあり、離婚すると決断したのも夫であると言っています。一方、話者の方は、子供の手前(特にこれから結婚を控えている子供に対して)43年もの間連れ添った相手と離婚するのは心苦しいと言っています。子供たちに対して夫の方は気軽に「離婚する」と言えるかも知れないが、話者の方はそう簡単に口に出したくはない。なので、夫の様に、まるで別れることに未練がないように振る舞うのは難しいかもしれない、と言っています。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• どのような意味でしょうか

My husband’s father died just before we got married, 17 years ago. He had been married to a woman with three daughters of her own, and the two had just had another baby girl at the time of his death. My husband and his brothers had a contentious relationship with their stepmother and stepsisters, and cut them out of their lives entirely after their father’s estate was settled. their father’s estate was settledはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• mutualの訳し方

After almost 20 years of marriage, my wife and I are getting ready to be separated. The separation is, thankfully, amicable and mutual. ここででのmutualはどう訳したら良いでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• Their father decided John should become president of the United State.

質問と言うより確認に近いんですが、 Their father decided John should become president of the United State. (1)presidentを辞書で引くと、the presidentまたはPresidentとして使うように書いてありますが、官職・身分を表すからですよね? (2)ここでのdecide (that)で、決めるという用法ではなく、(弱い意味で)~だと判断する,思うという用法ですよね?

• 日本訳してください!

下記内容を日本訳してください 宜しくお願いします When I was a child my parents got divorced. I was 3 years old. I didnt meet my father until I was 20 years old. I grew up very poor and had to spend many nights at home alone because my mother would work late in a factory. Now my mother and father have both married to new people and Ryan is just a child they had from another marriage. When the marriage is broen often the children are forgotten about.

• [至急]和訳と文法的に大事なところを教えてください

I was shocked. So were people all over the world, of all nationalities and political beliefs. When the two were found guilty, there were demonstrations all over the United States, and even in Europe. I heard people say that the decision to execute them was based on prejudice against them as immigrants and because of their political views. People demonstrated and protested the decision, demanding further investigation and more time in court. But nothing changed and on August 23, 1927 my friend was sent to the electric chair.

• どのような意味でしょうか

I am getting married this spring. This winter I have tried very hard to integrate my 6-year-old daughter and myself into my fiancé’s family since we don’t have much of one (only my grandmother is alive on my side, my grandmother is alive on my sideとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いしますm(_ _)m

Coming-of-Age Day Coming of Age Day is a national holiday which falls on January 15. This national holiday was created in 1948 and a described in the N ational Holidays Act as the day when young people are made aware of their achievement of adulthood and are congratulated. On this day large-scale ceremonies are held in all parts of Japan. The local cities and communities play host at the celbration ceremonies to all the young men and women who have had their twentieth birthday during the past year. The new adults gather together to hear congratulatory messages from the heads of their local government. Then one of the young people, speaking on behalf of the others, formally acknowledges that they have reached adulthood and pledges their determination to become good members of society. At the age of twenty young people receive the right to vote, smoke and drink, and obtain the freedom to marry without their parents' consent, but, at the same time, they must bear the responsibilities of adults.

• よろしくお願いします

My parents, who had been married 31 years, divorced last September. The decision to officially divorce was made roughly a year ago, by my mother, who was the one who left. My father has moved on. While I may think it’s far too soon, I know he’s an adult. While I may thinkのmayはどのような役割でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• どう訳したら良いでしょうか

My boyfriend of four years and I are planning to move across the country later this year, he to start graduate school and I to start a new job. We’ve never lived together, and to save money we’ve been living with our respective families. We’ve been planning this move for a long time, we’re committed to each other, and frankly we’re just ready to live together. The problem is my very conservative parents, whom I love. They don’t approve of couples living together before they are married and have gone so far as to say that their children would never do such a thing. My boyfriend and I certainly plan on getting married eventually, but we’re going to live together first. What sort of explanation do I owe my parents here? I’ll be a financially independent adult, and I know I’m free to make my own decisions, but I don’t want to create unnecessary conflict with my family or burn any bridges. I tend to retreat from conflict entirely with my family because it’s always been easier, and part of me wishes I could just not tell them anything at all, but I know I can’t avoid this forever. How can I ease my family into this? burn any bridgesとease my family into thisはどう訳したら良いでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• よろしくお願いします

I got married this weekend, and the D.J. was horrible, despite plenty of meetings before the wedding. I won’t go into the details, but he was awkward, cheesy, and unprofessional. I was in tears because of this guy. My question is: What is an appropriate response when wedding professionals don’t hold up their end of the bargain? ここでのcheesyはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、hold up one's end of the bargainは「〔契約などで〕一方の当事者としての責任を果たす」とありますが、「一方の当事者としての」とはどういうことでしょうか?単に「責任を果たす」ではいけないでしょうか?よろしくお願いします