Matt's Alcoholic Transformation: A Dark College Experience

このQ&Aのポイント
  • During our sophomore year, Matt developed a drinking problem that turned his college experience into a dark and troubling time.
  • His behavior changed drastically as he started drinking before class and smuggling gin into lectures.
  • Matt's excessive spending on alcohol and violent episodes showed the deep impact of his father's alcoholism on him.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

なんのwould

During our sophomore year, Matt developed a drinking problem. In our college environment, it was at first difficult to tell if he was truly an alcoholic or … simply in college. But quickly his behavior changed drastically. Matt would drink before class or smuggle gin into lectures in a water bottle. He spent most of his money on alcohol, amassing a liquor cabinet in his dorm that would have been impressive to Don Draper. Worst of all, my sweet friend became violent. He slapped a friend of ours in the face and roughly pushed me as well. Matt would cite the impact of his own father’s alcoholism on him when confronted. Matt would citeのwouldの意味を教えてください。(一時の出来事なので「~したものだ」ではおかしいですよね?)よろしくお願いします

• corta
  • お礼率76% (4119/5353)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.1

「~したものだ」の解釈でよいと思います。 確かに提示された文章では「He slapped a friend of ours in the face and roughly pushed me as well.」という一時の出来事を紹介していますが、これは一つの例として受け止めてよいと思います。 話者が言いたいのは、上記の事例の時を含め、マットは周りから非難されると(when confronted)「決まって(アルコール依存症だった)彼の父親の影響を引き合いに出してきたものだ」ということだと思います。 > Matt would cite the impact of his own father’s alcoholism on him when > confronted. 「マットは周りから咎められると決まって、アルコール依存症だった彼の父親か  ら受けた影響の所為にするのだった。」

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

関連するQ&A

• stay on top of his job

Two years ago, my husband’s personality drastically changed overnight. Months later, after showing him one of your columns, I convinced him to see a doctor. It turns out he had a minor stroke at the age of 40. He did not notice the change; however, I was concerned because his short-term memory was very limited, common sense was gone, and he was no longer affectionate or attentive with me. The first year was really hard, I helped him stay on top of his job, and I wrote extensive notes so he wouldn’t forget to feed our kids or forget to drop them off at day care on his way into work. stay on top of his jobはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、on his way into workはon his way to workと言っても同じことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• Would that he had.の意味は?

ある本を今読んでいますが、その中で分からない部分があります。 He took away his son, and that was the last XXX had heard of JJJ, even though, in the years following,he made a number of his own discreet inquiries to try to determine what had happened. Finally word came that the boy had died. Sitting across from him, XXX couldn't help thinking, Would that he had. The buzzing in XXX's ears, ......... XXXとJJJは人の名前です。 "Would that he had." は斜体フォントになっています。 質問は次の三つです。 1."Would that he had."の解釈。 2.何故、"Would"がここで大文字のWになっているのか。 3.何故、"Would that he had."が斜体フォントになっているのか。 難しいと思いますが、よろしくお願い致します。

• 同意文作成問題の解答を教えて下さい(高校受験)

(1)Will you wait here for me?  Will you wait here (     )I come back? (2)He went up to Tokyo at the age of twenty.  He went up to Tokyo (     )he (     )twenty. (3)I am tired because I worked hard.  I am tired (     )(     )hard work. (4)While he was staying in Paris,he visited his old friend.  (     )his(     )in Paris,he visited his old friend. (5)When I was going to station,I saw a friend of mine.  I saw a friend of mine (     )my(     )to station. (6)Look at the girl who has a beautiful lily in her hand.  Look at the girl (     )a beautiful lily in her hand.

• 翻訳

翻訳お願いいたします。 some time later, when the new marriage had settled into a routine, people wondered if the piano tuner would begin to think about retiring. With a bad knee, and being sightless in old age, he would readily have been forgiven in the house and the convents and the school halls where he applied his skill. Leisure was his due, the good fortune of company as his years sipped by no more than he deserved. But when, occasionally, this was put to him by the loquacious or the inquisitive he denide that anything of the kind was in his thoughts, that he considered only the visitation of depth as bringing any kind of end. The truth was, he would be lost without his work, without his travelling about, his arrival every six months or so in one of the small towns to which he had offered his services for so long. No, no, he promised, they'd still see the white Vauxhall turning in at a farm gate or parked for harf an hour in a convent play-yard, or drawn up on a verge while he ate his lunch time sandwhiches, his tea poured out of a Thermos by his wife.

• ”Wiil”と”Would”・”Can”と”Could"の使い方について

「I am sure that he would get wonderful experience in Hawaii and you would have a good experience, too. Moreover, he would learn a lot from his experience, so he would be improve his English a lot.」 っと書いたのですが、使い方あってますでしょうか? イマイチ今回の場合のwillとwould、またCanとcouldなどの使い分けが分かりません。どんなときにどちらを使うのでしょうか?また上記の文は失礼な感じになっていませんか?(文法自体も間違っているかもしれませんか)

• 英文の和訳をお願いいたします

以下の英文を和訳していただけるかたのみで。 お願いできますでしょうか? 内容的にまだ続いてる感じだと思います。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。 Yet he had a fairly happy family life and childhood. Background and family history are important to him. He may have had a strong attachment or respect for his father, who was affluent and a sense of family pride. He may have missed out on parental love in his childhood. He would have grown reserved and cautious. May have had some health weakness or weakens of constitution. His interest would have centered on the family. He wanted to shine out. Make his family proud of him, and he would have helped other family members out and taken an interest in their lives and affairs.

• In his defense

I unfriended a classmate on Facebook because he dismissed my feelings when I referenced his homophobic teasing 40 years ago (I came out in high school). A lot of classmates teased me, but this particular guy was the worst of the group. In his defense, he was an ass to everyone, In his defenseはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• wouldについて

以下についてお教え頂けないでしょうか。 On the phone last Monday, you noted that you would be available for a more extensuve interview in person. (1)この文でwouldが使われていますが、どうして使われているのでしょうか? (2)なぜyou was available とされていないでしょうか? ご指導のほど何卒宜しくお願い申し上げます。

• 和訳お願いします!!

和訳お願いします!!  Good manners and etiquette are important in our lives. Without them, our world becomes an uncomfortable place to live in. However, many people have little idea of what is the right thing to do or to say in some situations. After all, we get no formal education or training in manners or etiquette. Most of us learn our manners from family and friends while we are still children. Very often, the manners we learn when we are children become habits for the rest of our lives.  I have a friend whose name is Bill. He is an executive at an American company and recently came to Japan on business. While having dinner together, he told me about how his company had tried to find a top-level manager. After much searching and interviews by experts, the list of applicants for the job was narrowed to three persons. As the final test, they were invited to dinner in a famous restaurant. Judging from the ability and experience, the last person,Tom, seemed to be the best. However, he was not employed. During dinner, he made noise while having his soup. He kept talking when eating. And he used his finger to push the last small vegetable on his fork. Bill said, "Oh, poor Tom. What a pity!"  I told Bill that his company should have employed Tom and then trained him like in Japan and that many people in the world eat with their fingers. "Oh, really?" he answered. I was also thinking of telling Bill about a famous incident that took place about ten years ago. The U.S.President got sick at a formal dinner in Tokyo and dirtied the clothes of the person sitting beside him. I would have liked to ask Bill: if people with such bad manners can become President of America, then what is wrong when someone uses his finger to push the last green pea on his fork? However, I decided to keep my mouth shut. The reason? This would be a bad topic to talk about, especially when having dinner with a friend. よろしくお願いします 人´Д`*) * 和訳+αで、段落ごとに約50文字ぐらいで、要約してもらえると助かります (´∀`*)

• ハリー・ポッターからの質問です。

His classroom smelled strongly of garlic, which everyone said was to ward off a vampire he'd met in Romania and was afraid would be coming back to get him one of these days. was afraid と would be の主語が省略されていますが、he was afraid the vampire would be coming back ~ ということですか?and でつながれていますが、どのような構造になっているのか教えていただけると助かります。よろしくお願いします。