• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:In his defense)

What does 'In his defense' mean?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • In his defense, he was an ass to everyone.
  • Understanding the meaning of 'In his defense'.
  • Exploring the usage of the phrase 'In his defense'.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

In his defenseはどのような意味でしょうか?  彼の側にも弁護の余地はあって(彼のいじめの標的となった私は、聖人ではなく、アホだった)> 彼の方にも言い分がないではなく

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

その他の回答 (4)

• koncha108
  • ベストアンサー率49% (1312/2665)
回答No.5

In his defense, he was an ass to everyone, この文カンマで終わっているのでこの後が理解の助けになるんだと思いますが、あえてカットしましたか? in his defense は、「彼の自己弁護によれば、」と言う感じでしょう。 「彼の自己弁護によれば、彼は誰に対してもひどいやつだった、」

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。はい、余計だと思いカットしまいした。。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.4

まあ、"In his defence, he said" の検索結果を見ればhe saidが省略されているだけだと分かると思いますけど。 まあ、質問者さんがお読みになってるのも「2ちゃんねる」の英語版みたいなもんで、句読点がいい加減なのでどこからがセリフか分かりにくいのもあるでしょうね。 In his defense, (he said that) he was an ass to everyoneと、原文で書いてあればよかったんですけどね。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
回答No.3

2ちゃんねる風に言うならば 俺と元同級生、修羅場。 40年前にゲイだと元同級生のAにいじめられたものだ。 In his defense, he was an ass to everyone, (Aの弁:「俺は誰に対しても嫌な奴だっただけ。」) >In his defenseはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします 「彼の弁」って感じでhe was an ass to everyoneは、その人が言ったセリフの間接話法ね。

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
  • cbm51901
  • ベストアンサー率67% (2671/3943)
回答No.2

”In his defense" 「彼を弁護するならば」⇒「彼の名誉のために言うならば」 https://eow.alc.co.jp/search?q=in+someone%27s+defense まるで彼のことを擁護しているような発言ですが、"he was an ass to everyone," と続いているので、実はこれは皮肉です。 つまり、「(ゲイをカミングアウトした話者のことを彼が激しくからかったのは事実である)但し、彼の名誉のために付け加えておくと、彼は話者だけに攻撃的だったわけではなく、クラスメイト全員にとって非常に不愉快な存在(ass)だったのだ」

corta
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• shove it in his face

I just got a rather large promotion at work that I’ve been working toward for a long time. At first my fiancé gave me a half-hearted congrats and insisted he was happy for me. But over the course of a few days, he became depressed, angry, and starting taking jabs at me for no reason. I finally asked what the issue was and he admitted that he was jealous of my promotion. He has a great job, and while I will make fairly more money than he does, I always have made more money. His job has predictable hours and much better benefits. When he was promoted a while back I was genuinely happy for him—I saw it as our success, not just his. He sees this as a competition that he has lost. It hurts a lot because I want him to be happy for me. I don’t gloat or shove it in his face, shove it in his faceはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• on his own terms

My grandfather passed away three years ago. It was the first death in the family I’ve experienced. I was absolutely in bits when he died. He was very healthy all of my life until that point. He had an ongoing “flu” for a couple weeks that turned out to be cancer, and he passed within a month of letting all of the immediate family know about the diagnosis. He did not opt for treatment that would have lengthened his life, which I absolutely am grateful for. He passed on his own terms in his home. He passed on his own terms「自分が思うがままに死んだ」?でしょうか?どういうことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• union in his faith

I am agnostic, but my boyfriend is religious. He has recently become more devoted to his religion and is not certain but thinks he will want a union in his faith, which does not allow marriage to a non-adherent. union in his faithとallow marriage to a non-adherentはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• in houseなのか at a house

彼は昨日家にいました。と言いたいときに どういう言い方が正しいのでしょうか。 (1)He was in a house yesterday. (2)He was in house yesterday. (3)He was in his house yesterday. (4)He was at house yesterday. (5)He was in his house yesterday. 特にaをつけたりつけなかったりと違いがよく わかりません。ネイティブの感覚がわかる方、 どうぞよろしくお願いします。

• inについて

He was honest, clean, and clever. But one very important quality in men of good position he had never learnt , and that quality was politeness. in men of good position のところがよくわかりません。このinは何ですか? quality in~というかたちはないですよね?よろしくお願いします。

• 簡単な数学(in English)

Phillip charged $400 worth of goods on his credit card. On his first bill, he was not charged any interest, and he made a payment of $20. He then charged another $18 worth of goods. On his second bill a month later, he was charged 2% interest on his entire unpaid balance. How much interest was Phillip charged on his second bill? (1)問題の意味 (2)解き方 が分かりません。 教えてください!! よろしくお願いいたします。

• stay on top of his job

Two years ago, my husband’s personality drastically changed overnight. Months later, after showing him one of your columns, I convinced him to see a doctor. It turns out he had a minor stroke at the age of 40. He did not notice the change; however, I was concerned because his short-term memory was very limited, common sense was gone, and he was no longer affectionate or attentive with me. The first year was really hard, I helped him stay on top of his job, and I wrote extensive notes so he wouldn’t forget to feed our kids or forget to drop them off at day care on his way into work. stay on top of his jobはどのような意味でしょうか?あと、on his way into workはon his way to workと言っても同じことでしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• He visited Paris during his stay in France.

次の2文がほぼ同じ意味を表すように、( )内に適当な1語を入れなさい。   (1)He visited Paris while he was staying in France. (2)He visited Paris ( ) his stay in France. このような問題があったのですが、理解出来ないところがあったので質問よろしいでしょうか。  答えは(during)となっていました。hisのところからの意味がよく分かりません。  最初は、「彼のフランスに滞在の間、彼はパリを訪問した」と、 変な文にしてしまいました。  なぜ所有格がくるのでしょうか。どなたか教えて頂けるとうれしいです。よろしくお願いします。    

• up to his old ways

Two years ago, I caught my husband having an emotional affair with a friend of ours. Even though we went through counseling and he told me he was no longer in contact with her, he lied. He continued to lie for almost a year, even during our counseling sessions. In one session, he tried to blame me for his actions, and after six months, he still refused to take any responsibility for the affair. This whole thing has made me not trust him. I recently saw an email to an ex-girlfriend from high school. He said he wished he had been a better person, and that he would be looking for a woman like her. He says they were just reminiscing about the past. I believe he is up to his old ways. up to his old waysとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• He,his classmates ... everyone knew it.のHe,の意味は?

宜しくお願い致します。 Thoughout his youth Sparky was awkward socially. He was not actually diskliked by the other students; no one cared that much. He was astonished if a classmate ever said hello to him outside of school hours. There is no way to tell how he might have done at dating. Sparky never once asked a girl to go out in high school. He was too afraid of being turned down. Sparky was a loser.He,his classmates ... everyone knew it. 「Sparkyの青春期中、彼は人付き合い下手だった。彼は他学生には実際には嫌われては無かった;ただ誰もあまり関心が無かったのだ。彼はもしクラスメートが学校外で声を掛けらる丈で驚いた。彼はデートをどのように行っていたのか知る術は無い。彼は決して高校で女の子にデートを申し込む事は一度も無かった。彼は断られるのを恐れすぎていた。彼は負け犬だった。彼は、彼のクラスメートはそれを皆知っていた。」 という訳になると思います。 ここで最終文の"He,"は何のためにあるのでょうか? それと最後の"it"を「その事」と訳したのですが itよりthatの方がいいのではないのでしょうか?