Lost in the Rain: A Confused Tourist's Misadventure

このQ&Aのポイント
  • A middle-aged man finds himself lost in a foreign city after falling asleep on the bus and waking up at the wrong stop.
  • Confused and disoriented, the man stands alone in an empty square, feeling like an out-of-place tourist.
  • He realizes he looks lost and out of sync with the surroundings, resembling a traveler who has lost his group.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

英文を教えてください。

Altesa is in the rain, the rain starts as the bus rumbles down from the head of the valley towards the coast, fat drops spattering on the window against which I rest my face, and it is still falling when the bus pulls away, tyres hissing on the slick flagstones, leaving me standing on the north side of the square. It is a little after five in the afternoon, and the square is almost deserted. A young man is taking in chairs and tables under the awning of the café-bar across from me: he is the only person I can see. I stand in the partial shelter of a plane tree, the suitcase with the pictures propped against my leg. I see myself for a moment as part of the scene, in the way I sometimes do, and realize I look like someone lost—a middle-aged man who has fallen asleep on his bus and, waking in a panic, jumped off at the wrong stop. An out-of-season tourist who has lost his coach party. Guy BurtのThe Dandelion Clockからの英文です。 *********************************************************** I see myself for a moment as part of the scene, in the way I sometimes do, and realize I look like someone lost—a middle-aged man who has fallen asleep on his bus and, waking in a panic, jumped off at the wrong stop. この英文がわからないのですが、 in the way I sometimes do 私がときどきする方法の中で? and realize I look like someone lost— lostはどこかつながるのでしょうか? それともそこで文が切れて、a middle-aged man who has fallen asleep on his bus and, waking in a panic, jumped off at the wrong stop.が一続きですか? someone lost 誰かが失った? 失われた誰か? lostがどうなっているのかわかりません。 最後のAn out-of-season tourist who has lost his coach party.のcoach partyの意味がわかりません。 教えてください。よろしくお願いします。

• 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> in the way I sometimes do 私がときどきする方法の中で?  I sometimes do = as I sometimes do と考えてみてはいかがでしょう。語り手は雨に遭ってスズカケの木の下で雨宿りをしています。足元には写真の入ったスーツケースがある。語り手はふと、自分がそれらの写真の1枚に写っている人物の1人であるかのように感じる。それは一瞬のことではあったのだが、時にそういう感覚に襲われてことがある。そのことが in the way I sometimes do という部分で表現されているように思います。 > and realize I look like someone lost— lostはどこかつながるのでしょうか?  ここでの lost は 「道を見失った」 すなわち 「迷子になった」 という意味でしょう。「自分がまるで行く当てのない人間であるかのように思えた」 と述べています。 > someone lost 誰かが失った? 失われた誰か? lostがどうなっているのかわかりません。  この lost は 「後置修飾」 というらしいですが、後ろから前の名詞を修飾しる形です。 > 最後のAn out-of-season tourist who has lost his coach party.のcoach partyの意味がわかりません。  著者の Guy Burt は英国の人だそうなので、coach party とは 「長距離バス」 のことかと思いましたが、ひょっとしたら 「団体旅行のグループ」 のことかもしれません (下記 [参考URL] による)。そのように仮定するなら 「団体旅行のグループからはぐれてしまった季節外れの旅行者」 と読めます。

参考URL:
http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/coach-party
aduagrean
質問者

お礼

すごくわかりやすく解説していただいてありがとうございます! coach partyについてのリンクもありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• jumped on board

Unlike a lot of the pretentious NYC types I've dated in the past, my new boyfriend is a little bit hillbilly, with a goofy sense of humor, a simple vocabulary, and even simpler tastes. He's Midwestern, has great values, an excellent career in finance, and I've jumped on board with the country music and the football. jumped on boardはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 下記の英文を訳してくださる方はいませんか?

Physical and mental dependency are dealt with in different ways, depending on the resources available. If income is sufficient, the old person may continue to live “independently” in his or her own home. Often, however, monetary resources are too low, and the old person moves in with relatives, usually one of his or her children. If this resource is unavailable, because no child is willing or able to take in the aged and ailing parent, then the only recourse is institutionalization. Only a very small proportion of the aged population is institutionalized, however, amounting in 1970 to about 4 percent of white men, 6 percent of white women, and 3 percent of black men and women. お願いします。

• 英文の和訳

even in colder climates and more puritanical societies it has generally been true that the more clothes someone has on, the higher his or her status. this principle can be observed in medieval and renaissance art, where peasants wear relatively few garments, while kings and queens (including the king and queen of heaven) are burdened with layers of gowns and robes and mantles, even in indoor scenes. the recent fashion for "layered" clothes may be related, as is sometimes claimed, to the energy shortage; it is also a fine way of displaying a large wardrobe. 訳が分かるかたお願いします 特にわかりにくいのは (including the king and queen of heaven) と it is also a fine way of displaying a large wardrobe. の部分です。

• 次の英文の訳し方を教えてください

A man who is held up to the best and finest of his nature while on the court go off it and be a mucker.

• 英文の邦訳をお願いします。

I have always regarded his statements in regard to the Treatise as unreliable. The effect of the violent disappointment he had about that was to arouse a complex in him which prevented him from being sensible on the matter for the rest of his life; his chief object being to cover up and to excuse. On looking into Birkbeck Hill I find that I am not alone in attributing this side to his character. Hill writes on page viii of his preface: “Hume, with a levity which is only found in a man who is indifferent to strict truthfulness. . .”. 上記英文の邦訳をお願い致します。

• 英文について教えてください。

Moreover-taking the word "tragedy" in its most ordinary modern sense-it is Gretchen who suffers the tragedy, which Faust takes in his stride. We never see him hunted by the furies, like Orestes: no sooner has Part Two begun than spirits "remove the burning arrows of remorse, and cleanse his mind of memories." And though he dies blind like Oedipus, (1)【he does not blind himself with clasps plucked in a passion from the corpse of his beloved, resolved to live in infamy and night.】 Rather, he loses his sight when he is a hundred years old, just before he dies in a moment of elation. Faust's sufferings are incidental. He is not a tragic hero like Orestes, who is called upon to kill his mother, or like Oedipus, who owes it to his city to find out who killed his predecessor and who thus discovers that he killed his father and is wedded to his mother. In Faust, tragedy engulfs not the hero but representatives of unheroic, non-outstanding, suffering humanity: Gretchen, Philemon and Baucis, Gretchen's mother. The death of Philemon and Baucis in the fifth act of Part Two involves no tragic conflict in Faust's mind: he has given different instructions; their death is a hideous surprise to him; but again he takes it in his stride.(2)【 It is another episode, no more.】(3)【 In retrospect we realize, if it was not clear to us all along, that Gretchen's tragedy, too, was a mere episode.】 The drama is epic, the effect cumulative. 『Goethe's Faust by Walter Kaufmann』 上記の英文の(1)【】、(2)【】、(3)【】の部分について質問です。 (1)【he does not blind himself with clasps plucked in a passion from the corpse of his beloved, resolved to live in infamy and night.】 *clasps pluckedとはどういう意味にとればよいのでしょうか? *全体はどういう訳になりますか? (2)【 It is another episode, no more.】 *これはどういうことを言っているのでしょうか? another episodeとは? (3)【 In retrospect we realize, if it was not clear to us all along, that Gretchen's tragedy, too, was a mere episode.】 *文の構造がよくわかりません。 if節があって、帰結はGretchen's tragedy, too, was a mere episodeだと思うのですが、Gretchen's tragedyの前にthatがついているのがわかりません。 *また、it was not clear to us all alongのitは何をさしているのでしょうか? よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英文を訳して下さい。

he wife of the Republican presidential front-runner said Tuesday he is “an adult and he knows the consequences” of his prolific and sometimes inflammatory Twitter use. She was asked by CNN’s Anderson Cooper if she ever tried to get Trump to put his phone away and rein in his social media activity. “Anderson, if he would only listen. I do say it many times,” she replied, after revealing that she doesn’t let their young son, Barron, on Twitter. Trump, who has 7.5 million Twitter followers and nearly as many on Facebook, boasted about his social media prowess, saying it gives him a huge advantage over his rivals while marveling at its great reach. “I really enjoy doing it but it’s an asset,” he said. “You see what’s going on and there is some genius there. You just have to find the right genius.” Trump, who said he would sharply curtail but not eliminate his Twitter use if elected president, acknowledged that his retweets of supporters comments have gotten him in trouble. He has come under fire several times for his Twitter usage, most recently when he retweeted an unflattering photo of Heidi Cruz, the wife of Republican rival Ted Cruz. But Trump insisted that he composes his own tweets and doesn’t run any posts past an adviser or focus group. “During the day when I’m in the office, I just shout it out to one of the young ladies in the office,” who then does the typing, Trump said. But “during the evenings, after 7 p.m. or so, I will always do it by myself.” The Twitter revelations came near the end of an hour-long town hall in which Trump was joined by his Slovenian-born wife, a former model, and his four grown children. Trump ceded center stage for much of the evening, as his children answered a dozen question from the New York City audience and attempted to cast a warm, humanizing light on their sometimes abrasive father. Ivanka Trump, who gave birth two weeks ago, spoke eloquently about her father, who is aiming to decisively win the primary next week in his home state of New York, increasing the chances that he can clinch the Republican presidential nomination before the party’s convention this summer.

• 英文の訳をお願いします

以下の文章を訳していただけますか。お願いします。 He deeply desires, a true friend, someone whom he can express his feelings and thoughts to. People and relationships are important to him despite his independent exterior. He is interested in the lives and affairs of those close to him. He is an excellent arbitrator, negotiator and peace maker and meddler in other peoples problems. But not soft B, he is as forceful as he feels is necessary for achieving his own aims and ambitions, and if he feels others are not appreciative of what he is trying to do, then he will consider them unworthy of his time and efforts and he will take back what ever efforts he has made on their behalf, or whatever he has given then, When he gives to people it is not free, even if it just advice, it comes on loan. And at some point the loan is recalled. The favour owed is collected like a debt by him.

• 英語が堪能な方

自然な訳をお願いできますか? I think what's wonderful about Jenny's portrayal is that she is someone who is on a righteous course and is doing it for the sanctity of others but in a brutal way.

• 下記の英文を訳してくれる方はいませんか?

The mature years According to a popular stereotype, the accumulated experience of the elderly makes them wise and valued advisers. However, research has shown that in fact the most highly valued adviser is the middle-aged person in the range from5 to 55 years of age. Even the old prefer the advice of the middle-aged. お願いします。