小説の一節:文解釈について

このQ&Aのポイント
  • タイトル:文解釈について - 小説の一節を解読する方法を教えてください
  • タイトル:小説の一節の解説 - 解釈のポイントを伝えてください
  • タイトル:小説の一節の意味を知りたい - 解読のヒントを教えてください
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

文解釈について

小説の一節です。 He chose a spot not too far from the sidewalk. Where my mother changed busses she'd gone into a store and bought him a trowel and four packets of seeds. この文のshe'd gone into a store以下をどう解釈してよいのか分かりません。 busses she'dの間には何かが省略されているとは思うのですが。。 changed, had goneとあるので時系列に考えてみたのですが整理しきれません。 どなたか分かる方いらっしゃいましたら教えてください。

• 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
回答No.4

Where my mother changed busses she'd gone into a store and bought him a trowel and four packets of seeds. and の後に主語が省略されているので、 she had gone ~ and (she had) bought ~でかたまりのはず。 だから、where で始まる節の切れ目は where my mother changed busses しかありません。 学校文法ではここでコンマを入れるのですが、 現実にはないこともしばしばあります。 この where はもともと関係副詞で、「ところ」という先行詞を含み、 かつ、前置詞も含み、at the place where ~の意味で用いることができ、 そこから「~するところでは、~する場合には」という接続詞的用法が生まれました。 接続詞 when にしても同じように生まれたのです。 where は when ほどには用いないというだけのこと。 母がバスを乗り換えるところで、店に行ってスコップと4袋の種を彼に買っておいたのだ。 過去形でストーリーをすすめていくなかで、 彼がスコップと種を手にしていたのが、母が買っておいたもの、 とその過去の流れより前のことを表しています。 changed が過去形なのは #1 の方の訳のように、その過去時ではいつものことだから。

sunacchar
質問者

お礼

皆様、ありがとうございます。 どの回答も参考になりました。

その他の回答 (3)

• Nakay702
  • ベストアンサー率80% (9722/12094)
回答No.3

以下のとおりお答えします。 >この文のshe'd gone into a store以下をどう解釈してよいのか分かりません。 >busses she'dの間には何かが省略されているとは思うのですが。。 ⇒その位置に、省略はないと思います。(あってもカンマくらいでしょう。) >changed, had goneとあるので時系列に考えてみたのですが整理しきれません。 ⇒現在完了の用法の1つに、「現在までの経験を表す」というのがありますが、この場合のhad goneは過去完了ですから、「ある過去の1時点(タネなどを買った時点)までの経験を表している」のだと思います。 (全訳)彼は、舗装道路からあまり離れていない場所を選びました。 母は、バスを乗り換える場所でお店に入ったことがあるので、(そこで)移植ゴテと4袋のタネを彼に買いました。 (彼が選んだ「舗装道路からあまり離れていない場所」に、私の母が買ってあげたタネを植えることになるんでしょうね。) 以上、ご回答まで。

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.2

>Where my mother changed busses(,)she'd gone into a store and bought him a trowel and four packets of seeds. 接続詞の下記の使いかたと同じでwhrerever(...する所はどこでも[どこへでも]; …する場合はいつでも。) b. In any place or situation in which; wherever: Where there's smoke, there's fire http://www.thefreedictionary.com/where 母がバスを乗り換えたときはいつでも、まず、店に入って、~した。 この”まず”を示す言葉が過去完了形となる。大過去と同じような使い方。

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

彼は、歩道からそう離れていない場所を選んだ。  母が、(いつも)バスを乗り換える場所で、店に行き、種を四袋とスコップを彼に買ってやった。

関連するQ&A

• rabbit hole

My brother, a widower, is dating a new girlfriend after a long search. She is kind and loving, and I want them to be happy, but there’s one major problem: She has breast cancer, and she’s gone down the naturopathy rabbit hole. gone down the naturopathy rabbit holeはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• sale bin

My daughter has zero style sense. She tints her hair every color under the sun and dresses straight from the sale bin at the thrift store. She mismatches any and everything she puts on, and she's doing it to her children, too. Their clothes are dingy and outdated. I have bought them stylish clothing. She returns them and gets the ugliest clothes. She also gives the kids hideous haircuts. If I take them to a stylist, she will buzz the entire cut into a Mohawk. sale binとbuzzはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 久保田 利伸 

彼の曲で、だいぶ昔なのですが、 .... Oh, it's a magic (ブランケットがどうのこうの・) and she's gone, gone, gone ... という、とてもsweetな曲があったのですが、 ご存知でしたら、その曲名とアルバム教えてください。

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

I’m a grad student rooming with a friend. After moving in, our friendship became stressed. While she is a lovely, sensitive person, she is not always punctual about paying her half of the utilities or respecting agreements (notably, we had agreed that I could bring my dog up from my family home and she changed her mind the night before). The biggest issue, though, is that she’s much more chatty than I am. She knocks on my door at random times to have brief conversations. She’s also frequently upset about something I did or didn’t do, or something I didn’t anticipate she would need. We’ve talked about this in the past, but this dynamic keeps creeping into our interactions. this dynamic keeps creeping into our interactionsの和訳をよろしくお願いします

• ショートジョークなんだと思うのですが意味が分かりません。

A blonde woman goes into an electronic store. She goes to an elrctronic store to buy a TV. She looks around and she calls over the salesperson. She says to the salesperson, "Excuse me, I'd like to buy this TV." But the salesperson says, "I am sorry, but we do not sell to blondes, blonde women." and she is angry and she leaves the store. And the next time she comes back. She is wearing a black wig on her head. and she calls over the salesperson and she says to the sales person, "Excuse me, but I would like to buy this TV." and the salesperson says, "I'm sorry ma'am, but we do not sell to blondes." and she is angry again and she leaves the store for the third time. Finally, she comes back, this time she is wearing a red wig, dark sunglasses, a totally different dress and she says to the salesperson, "Excuse me, I want to buy this TV." and the salesperson says, "I am sorry,but we don't sell to blondes." and she says, "well, how do you know I am a blonde?" and he says, "well ma'am, you are not looking at a TV, you are looking at a microwave." 「ブロンドの方には売れません。」「どうして私がブロンドだと知っているの?」「あなたが見ているのはTVではありません。電子レンジです。」だと思うのですが、BlondeとMicrowaveのひっかかり7意味が分らないのです。これってジョークなんでしょうか?

• 訳と解釈

友達からこのようなメールをもらいました。(1)は私の訳であっているのか見てください。それとわからない部分もあるので教えて下さい。(2)は訳が解かりません おしえてくださいおねがいします (1)My first/ex Japanese girlfriend loved going to clubs with her friend and then she broke up with me because she met another guy at a club from a friend of hers so that really hurt me a lot 僕の日本人の最初の元カノは友達とクラブに行くのが大好きで僕との約束?を断って?他の男と会った。それは僕をすごく傷つけた。 (2)because I started learning Japanese so it would be easier for her but I guess she just used me. 僕の日本人の最初の元カノは友達とクラブに行くのが大好きで僕との約束?を断って?他の男と会った。それに僕をすごく傷つけた。

• 文の中からkeywordが探すを手伝ってください。

Mahalia Jackson Mahalia Jackson was born into a preacher's family in 1911, and she grew up in a riverfront shanty in New Orleans. She was motherless at five, working as a maid and loudness in her mid-teens. As a little girl, she would whisper to herself before she went to sleep, "someday the sun is going to shine down on me in some faraway place." In pursuit of that dream, Mahalia migrated to Chicago when she was still a teenager. She never expected to support herself by singing, and by the time I joined her, the hands she used so expressively in her performances had scrubbed floors, laundered and helped her earn a living as a hotel maid, factory worker, beautician and florist. But her remarkable voice brought her more and more invitations to sing-at funerals, in churches, at concerts. And, through her warm friendly personality and a life based on sound spiritual values and hard work, she eventually found her place in the sun. 1. It is stated in the passage that Mahalia ----. A) had no mother during her whole life B) lived in a fashionable house in New Orleans C) was orphaned when she wasn't even a teenager D) become a servant at the age of five E) grew up in a religious family 上記の文に対し、問1の答えはC)です。この文のどこにorphenedだと書いてあるのか教えてください。motherless ではないし、preacher's familyに born in するということから判断するのでしょうか?  お願いします。

• 緊急です。英語の品詞の働きについて教えてください。

文中の下線部の語について,品詞と働きを説明した文として誤っているものを,選択肢から一つ選びなさい。 (1)When Mrs. Green retired from her job in a big city, she went to live in an attractive village out in the country, and began to go into the nearest town every Saturday to buy food. She tried several stores and finally chose the most convenient one and began to shop there regularly every week. After she had visited the store several times, the cashier began to recognize her (2)and to smile and say, “Good morning, Mrs. Brown,” (3)whenever she came to pay for the things she had bought. At first Mrs. Green didn’t mind this, but after a few weeks, she said to the cashier on Saturday, “Excuse me, but my last name’s Green, not Brown.” The cashier smiled cheerfully and said, “I’m sorry.” But the following week, she said to her, “Do you know, Mrs. Brown, there’s another lady (4)who comes to our store every Saturday (5)who looks just like you.” (1)When       関係副詞である。 Mrs. Green retired from her job in a big cityを補部に取っている。 she went to … 以下の文全体を修飾している。 先行詞はない。 (2) and   等位接続詞(CC)である。 句と句を結び付けている。 began to recognize herとto smile and sayを結び付けている。 先行詞はない。 (3) whenever      副詞的従属接続詞(ASC)である。 she came to pay for the things she had boughtを補部に取っている。 began to recognize herを修飾している。 先行詞はない。 (4) who        関係代名詞である。 先行詞はanother ladyである。 関係詞節はwho comes to our store every Saturdayである。 関係詞節内での働きは目的語である。 (5) who      関係代名詞である。 先行詞はSaturdayである。 関係詞節はwho looks just like youである。 関係詞節内での働きは主語である。 以上、よろしくお願い致します。

• 和訳お願いします

高二の教科書の一部分なんですが 良く分からない部分があるので和訳をしていただけないでしょうか? “But you never really saw any fighting?” She smiled grimly. “Only in our house.” She took a small bite of her sandwich. It was surprising, the way the words had started pouring out. English words. This American boy had done nothing but smile at her encouragingly and here she was, putting into English things she’d never spoken of before in any language.

• この文の意味教えてください

A sculpture of Einstein sitting on a bench is more human and approachable than a sculpture in a museum. If you are walking along the street and see this Einstein, what do you do? You might put your arm around his shoulder pr ask someone to take a photo of the two of you. Perhaps you think about how Einstein changed the world and how you might change the world. Or what it might have been like to be the friends with Einstein. 最後のOr what it might have been like to be the friends with Einstein.ってどういう意味ですか? どなたか教えてください