Ethical and Technical Challenges in Advancing Healthcare Databases: Is the U.S. Following the Lead of the UK and Denmark?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Last month, an organization began building a computer infrastructure to tie together healthcare records, allowing researchers to study the impact of lifestyles on health and determine the effectiveness of drugs for different individuals.
  • The United States should learn from the United Kingdom's efforts in creating a national healthcare database.
  • PCORI promises to involve patients in determining research priorities and assures that only anonymous data will be available to researchers.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

take care

24 Apr. 2014 のnature this weekです。 医療データベースを進展させることで研究者もテーラーメイドを求める患者にとっても利益になるがここには倫理的問題や技術的問題(セキュリティの面とかで)がある。 という文章です。イギリスやデンマークはうまくいってるがアメリカはおんなじようになるのかな?という疑問も投げかけてます。 (1)Last month, the organization began building the computer infrastructure that will tie these records together, allowing researchers to spot trends in how lifestyles affect health, which drugs are most effective for certain types of individual, and so on. If it works as advertised, these findings could save millions of dollars by allowing researchers to recruit the right participants for clinical trials and doctors to prescribe the right treatments for individuals. 先月、組織はこれらの記録をまとめて密接にリンクする医療データの基盤の作成を始めた。 これは研究者らに私生活がいかに健康に影響するかという考えに目をめをむけることを可能にし、臨床で用いられた薬物が個人の特定型に大変効果的であったものなどを列挙したものとなる。 この作業が宣伝効果となれば、これらの知見は臨床試験のために適切な患者を求める研究者らや個人に適切な処置をするために処方を行うことを医師らの存在を確立することにより数百万ドルのお金の財源ともなりえるのだ。 と訳しましたがallowingが二回出てきますがこの文章のつなぎが自信がありません。 (2)The United States would do well to watch the United Kingdom as it grapples with creating its own national database, care.data (see Nature 507, 7; 2014). アメリカはイギリスが行ったデータベース管理へ対する取り組みの成果を模倣するためにも見習うべきだ。 と訳しましたがここのasの訳仕方で躓きました。意味合いはわかるのですが確信がありません。 (3)PCORI says that it will let patients help to determine research priorities, and promises that only anonymous data and no individual records will be available to researchers. PCORI(Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute)は次のように述べている。これ(データベース)は患者に研究の優先度を決定するための手助けをさせるものとなり、そして単に個人の記録ではなく、莫大なデータを研究者が利用できることとなる日を約束する。 と訳しましたがここではやっぱりpromiseは可能性的なことでしょうか。

• ligase
  • お礼率92% (997/1082)
  • 英語
  • 回答数4
  • ありがとう数4

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • stringf35
  • ベストアンサー率66% (69/104)
回答No.2

だいぶ訳が不正確なところがあるので指摘させていただきます。 (1) 「how lifestyles affect health, which drugs are most effective for certain types of individual, and so on」 how A, which B, and so onと列挙しています。「生活様式がどのように健康に影響するかや、あるタイプの個人にもっとも効果的なのはどの薬剤か、などに目をめをむけることを可能にする」 「If it works as advertised」 「もしそれが宣伝どおりに機能すれば」 「these findings could save millions of dollars by allowing researchers to recruit the right participants for clinical trials and doctors to prescribe the right treatments for individuals」 「これらの知見により、研究者が臨床試験に適切な患者をリクルートし、医師が個人に適切な治療を処方することが可能になり、数百万ドルを節約することができるだろう」 allowingはどちらも同じ用法です。 (2) asは理由を表す助動詞です。 「The United States would do well to watch the United Kingdom as it grapples with creating its own national database, care.data」 do well to doで「~するのがよい」です。「アメリカはイギリスを観察するのがよいだろう。なぜならイギリスはcare.dataというデータベースの設置に取り組んでいるからだ」 (3) 「and promises that only anonymous data and no individual records will be available to researchers」 promisesという形から、andはsaysとpromisesを対等に結んでいることがわかります。ということで、promiseの主語はPCORIです。「PCORIは、研究者に利用可能なのは匿名のデータのみであり、個人情報は含まれないことを約束する」(やや意訳ですが)

ligase
質問者

お礼

ひとつひとつの不正確=大きな間違いを優しく丁寧にご指摘ならびご指導下さりありがとうございます。 お陰様でようやくいいたいことがわかりました。 今回答者様とほかの方がご指導いただきましたことをノートに取り終えました。今後ともよろしくお願い申し上げます。

その他の回答 (3)

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.4

既にきちんとした解釈を示された方があるので気が引けますが、せっかくですから (2) と (3) も見てみます。 > (2) The United States would do well to watch the United Kingdom as it grapples with creating its own national database, care.data (see Nature 507, 7; 2014). > アメリカはイギリスが行ったデータベース管理へ対する取り組みの成果を模倣するためにも見習うべきだ。  do well to ... とか grapple with ... といった表現の意味は取れていると思います。  ただ、「模倣するためにも見習う」 という日本語は奇妙な印象を受けました。  これは as という接続詞の働きをきちんと把握せずに訳したためではないかと思われます。  ここでの as は 理由 というか、根拠を表しています。「英国は国家的なレベルでデータベースの構築に取り組んでいるのだから、米国もそれにならうとよかろう」 という文です。 > (3) PCORI says that it will let patients help to determine research priorities, and promises that only anonymous data and no individual records will be available to researchers. > PCORI(Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute)は次のように述べている。これ(データベース)は患者に研究の優先度を決定するための手助けをさせるものとなり、そして単に個人の記録ではなく、莫大なデータを研究者が利用できることとなる日を約束する。  「患者に研究の優先度を決定するための手助けをさせる」 というより、「(PCORI は) 患者が研究の優先度を決定するのを助ける」 ではないでしょうか。「患者」 に 「手助けをさせる」 としたら、酷というものです。  つまり、患者さんのデータを使わせてもらうにあたって、自分の血糖値に関するデータは使ってもいいとか、個人を特定できるようなデータは使って欲しくないとか、優先順位をつけてもらうわけです。どの程度の範囲までのデータなら使ってもいいのか、素人である患者さんにもきちんと説明した上で決めてもらう、ということでしょう。  「そして単に個人の記録ではなく、莫大なデータを研究者が利用できることとなる日を約束する」 という部分は、終わりになったということで安心なさったのか、解釈がおかしくなっている気がします。  only anonymous data and no individual records (匿名のデータだけで個人情報を含まないもの) という部分が will be available to researchers の主語です。  すると、「研究者が利用できるのは匿名のデータだけであり、その中に個人情報は含まれていない」 のだということを納得してもらう、という文であるということになります。  「研究者が利用できることとなる日を約束する」 ということを述べた文ではありません。

ligase
質問者

お礼

間違いのご指摘誠ならび補足訂正にありがとうございます。 そもそも莫大と匿名を勘違いして訳してました。いつもながらお恥ずかしい限りです。 今後ともよろしくお願い申し上げます。

• stringf35
  • ベストアンサー率66% (69/104)
回答No.3

No.2です。訂正です。 asは助動詞でなく接続詞です…

ligase
質問者

お礼

補足ありがとうございます。

• bakansky
  • ベストアンサー率48% (3502/7245)
回答No.1

> (1) Last month, the organization began building the computer infrastructure that will tie these records together, allowing researchers to spot trends in how lifestyles affect health, which drugs are most effective for certain types of individual, and so on. If it works as advertised, these findings could save millions of dollars by allowing researchers to recruit the right participants for clinical trials and doctors to prescribe the right treatments for individuals. > 先月、組織はこれらの記録をまとめて密接にリンクする医療データの基盤の作成を始めた。 これは研究者らに私生活がいかに健康に影響するかという考えに目をめをむけることを可能にし、臨床で用いられた薬物が個人の特定型に大変効果的であったものなどを列挙したものとなる。この作業が宣伝効果となれば、これらの知見は臨床試験のために適切な患者を求める研究者らや個人に適切な処置をするために処方を行うことを医師らの存在を確立することにより数百万ドルのお金の財源ともなりえるのだ。  なるほど、allow が2ヶ所に出てきますね。  「これらの記録をまとめて密接にリンクする」 という部分は、うまく訳したものだなと思いました。  たしかに allow のつながり具合は気になります。  allowing researchers to spot trends in how ... , which ... , and so on. という構文で、to spot trends in how ... であるだけでなく、to spot trends in which ... でもあります。  allowing は、ここでは ... which allows ... というのと同じことを表していると見ればいいと思います。  巨大なデータベースを構築するということを始めた、「それによって ・・・ が可能になる」 という文です。  おおまかにいうと、   → ライフスタイルと健康との関係とか、ある特定のタイプの患者に最も有効な薬は何かとか、他にも様々な傾向を調べることが可能になる」  といった文だと思います。  また、If it works as advertised は、「宣伝効果」 のことを述べているのではないと思います。as an advertisement ならそう解釈もできそうですけれど ・・・  ここでは、データベースの構築にはさまざまなメリットがあるとされていることを受けて 「いわれているようなメリットがあるとすると」 のような感じの文だと思います。  その部分以下の和訳は、私にはちょっと意味不明な文に思えました。  そういうデータベースが充実すれば、「臨床試験の対象とするに好適な患者を見つけることが容易になる (すると無駄な金を注ぎ込まなくてすむようになる)」 から could save millions of dollars (何百万ドルも節約できる) と述べているのだと私は読みました。  それから、こちらの方の allow ですが、これも allowing researchers to recruit ... and doctors to prescribe ... で、allow researchers であり allow doctors であるので、allowing は researchers にも doctors にもかかっています。 * とりあえずここまでにします。

ligase
質問者

お礼

いつも丁寧な解答解説ありがとうございます。 allowingの訳の方向性がおかげさまでわかりました。

関連するQ&A

• 以下の英文を日本語訳してください。

弟が気になっているで質問させてください。テストなどではありませんので宜しくお願いします。 We receive over 60,000 enquiries a year from which only a small proportion are approved by our experienced researchers to establish new categories. These are not 'made up' to suit an individual proposal, but rather 'evolve' as a result of international competition in a field, which naturally accommodates superlatives of the sort that we are interested in. We think you will appreciate that we are bound to favour those that reflect the greatest interest. Guinness World Records has absolute discretion as to which Guinness World Record applications are accepted and our decision is final. Guinness World Records may at its discretion and for whatever reason identify some records as either no longer monitored by Guinness World Records or no longer viable. As your record application has not been accepted, Guinness World Records is in no way associated with the activity relating to your record proposal and we in no way endorse this activity. If you choose to proceed with this activity then this is will be of your own volition and at your own risk.

• 癌の重要な分岐点

17. Apr. 2014のthis weekです (1)Researchers showed how patterns of mutation can be used to track down the agent that caused them — sunlight, for example, leaves a footprint that differs from a cancer-causing viral infection. 研究者は変異の形式を引き起こす因子をいかにして追跡し方を示した。たとえば太陽光(紫外線のDNA変異は)癌関連性ウイルス感染とは異なる足跡を残す。 be used track downの訳をおざなりにした感が否めません。 (2)TCGA was initially controversial, because researchers worried that the project would direct funds away from grants to individual investigators. Early results — which showed that cancer mutations were much more abundant and diverse than expected — even evoked schadenfreude in some circles (see Nature 455, 148; 2008). Criticism died down as the project bore fruit. TCGA(The Cancer Genome Atlas)は初めは議論の余地があるものだった。なぜなら計画での直接的な資金源が助成金でなく個人投資家に切り替わることが懸念されていたためである。初期の結果では予想された以上に重複性と多様性が見つかり、そしていくつかの集団では人の不幸を喜ぶことを引き起こすこととなった。 批判はプロジェクトが成果をなす前にそもそも消えた。 と訳しましたがここで ヒトの不幸を喜ぶサークルとはいったいどういうことでしょうか。なぜこの文章が突然出てくるのかがあまりわかりません。意味合いとしては変異を集める=がん患者を集める。より偏見がたくさん出てきた。という意味合いはわかりますが流れからしてよく把握しきれませんでした。あとこの批判が死んだ。的な文章のうまい訳が分かりません。 ここでのasはどういう使い方でしょうか。 (3)TCGA aims to complete sequencing and further characterization of its cancer samples by the end of the year. After that, a few groups will receive funding to analyse the data for the next two years. But the programme, as it existed, will cease. ここで But the programme, as it existed, will cease. の訳が分かりませんでした。どの計画もどれもこれもが途絶えてしまった。でもあるプロジェクトだけは二年なら持ちそうだ。けれどもこのプログラムは以前のものと同様に捨てられてしまうだろう。 という意味合いはわかるのですがas it existedが何を指しているのでしょうか。 TCGAでいいのでしょうか。 (4)Some cancer researchers have advocated that the programme should continue. Stopping now would be premature, their argument goes, because we have yet to achieve a comprehensive catalogue of cancer-causing mutations. A study published earlier this year determined that compiling a list of mutations present in at least 2% of cancers would require sequencing of about 2,000 tumours in each of at least 50 tumour types. いくつかの研究者は計画を続けるべきだと提唱した。 計画が今日止められたのはこれが未熟だったためであると彼らは主張する。なぜなら彼らはまだ癌関連性変異の全体的なカタログを完成していないからである。 ある研究結果が今年の初めに公表されたが、これは癌の少なくとも2%での存在する変異の有力な目録が少なくとも50の腫瘍型の2000腫瘍のシーケンスを要求するものであることが確かめられた。 と話の流れがちんぷんかんぷんな訳になってしまいました。 (5)Other teams will no doubt do the same, allowing researchers to learn more about the importance of a given mutation by associating it with the response to therapy or to overall prognosis. 他の研究者も同じようなこと(過去の未熟だったデータを引き継ぎ正確なデータを示す試み)をするだろう。研究者は治療や予後の反応に関連した変異を考慮する重要性についてさらに学ぶ機会が与えられたのだ。 でいいのでしょうか。ちなみにこの文章の手前では最近の技術はすごいよ。そしてTCGAのころのやりっぱなしのデータは置換するべきだということを言った後この文章が続きます。 (6) The end of TCGA also represents an opportunity for the field to balance its cancer-genomics projects more evenly between cataloguing mutations and studying their functional significance. TCGAの終わりはまた変異のカタログと機能的重要性のさらに規則的な関連性を確かめる癌ゲノム計画の平衡を保つための分野を与える機会ともなった。 悪いものを見つめて今日よくしようという考えが広まるいい題材になった的な意味として捉えましたがあってますでしょうか。

• 和訳してください(+_+)

So it may seem that there are no limits to the body,and that we will continue to see new records forever. Can this really be so? Isn't it likely that men and women will gradually approach some absolute limits? Most of the recent improvements in sports records have been the result of improvements in diet, coaching and training methods, and the increasing number of people participating in sports. In a few sports such as skiing and pole-vaulting, improvements in equipment have made a big difference. Again, some people fear that we may be reaching the limits. The pressure to break records has often had unfortunate results, such as the secret use of dangerous drugs (sometimes called "doping").

• (2)長文読解

(1)の続きです。 Like all really primitive people, women will go on refusing to believe in or bow down to the laws of Nature. Nature may tell them, for instance, of the correct position of the human waist; but they will not listen to her; they will insist that the human waist may be anywhere you like between the neck and the knees, according to the fashion of the moment, and Nature may as well put her fingers in her ears and go home. they will not listen to herのtheyはwomenだと思うのですが、そうするとherは誰を指しているのでしょうか?Natureですか? Nature may as well put her fingers in her ears and go homeの意味が全くわかりません。どういうことを言っているのでしょうか? ----Spring Fashions:Robert Lynd

• 日本は英語に、英文は日本語に訳してください。

・どんなにゆっくりのボールでも、行くべきところへ行けば、いいスコアが出る。 ・そのせいで、ボウリングは簡単だと思っている人も多い。 ・これがこのスポーツの醍醐味だと言える。 ・The researchers believed it was people`s emotional response to Rokia`s difficult situation that led them to act. ・The problem is that men are less studied than women about the way they dress. ・Knowing exactly what all the other people in the race will do is less important than thinking about what you might do as an individual.

• 次の英文を和訳してほしいです。

There was one large difference between the animal study and the human research projects mentioned in the article: the researchers controlled what the animals in the earlier studies ate, while the humans reported their eating behavior. Thus, as Dr. Bartke mentions, there is a question about the quality of the data. As long as the researchers kept careful records on what was fed to the animal subjects and prevented the animals from getting food from other sources, they could be confident of the food intake measurement. Humans, however, are not lab rats. It is not ethical, or generally possible, to completely control the environment that a human experiences. In this case, it was likely not economically feasible to control the diet for the subjects in the “diet group.” As a result, the researchers relied on self-reported data from these subjects. It is very unlikely that all of the members who reported that they cut their caloric intake by 30% actually did so. If the control their diet and observe their action, then we might be able to accept that the members of the group actually reduced their calories by 30%. However, one would then worry that a group of people who could take three months to go to a lab environment might not be representative of the general population.

• AOLから英語のメールがきた

GW中にAOLの自分のアカウント宛にAOLから英語のメールが届きました。自分は日本のAOLと契約してるのですがなんで英語のメールがきたのでしょうか。また48時間以内にアクションを起こさないと契約が無効になると書いてあるようなのですが、なんで契約者に対してそんなメールをしかも英語で送ってくるのかわかりません。新手のフィッシングかな?と思ったのですが、クリックした先もAOLのサイトだったので放置してたことに不安を感じています。 Dear AOL Member , It has come to our attention that your AOL Billing Information records are out of date. That requires you to update the Billing Information. Failure to update your records will result in account termination. Please update your records within 48 hours. Once you have updated your account records, your AOL session will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Failure to update will result in cancellation of service, Terms of Service (TOS) violations or future billing problems. You must click the link below and enter your login information on the following page to confirm your Billing Information records.. To update your AOL records Click here . クリックして飛ばされる先はhttp://bill.aol.comでした。

• この英語訳でよろしいでしょうか?訳してて、とても変なのですが。。

It may be that japan,even thought it has no natural resources and must make and sell things to survive,does not have to work as hard as it does:and if the eagerness to work gradually declines,we may expect that the whole pace and rhythm of the land will change. もしかしたら日本は天然資源がないかもしれないけれども、生き残るために作ったり売らなければいけない。でも、懸命に働かなくてもいい(?)そして、もし熱心に働くということが下降線をたどるなら 私たちは全体のペーストリズムが変わることを期待するかもしれない.

• take the spot of

I am a straight woman who recently moved to the U.S. In order to make friends, I joined a softball team. I found a team that was described as “feminist”; I later found out that it was a lesbian team. (I don’t mean that it is gay-friendly, I mean that it is specifically for lesbians and bisexual women.) I am wondering if I need to tell my teammates that I’m straight. I don’t want to take the spot of an actual gay woman, but I feel like if I leave, I am letting the team down and it could be perceived as homophobic. I like the women on my team, who have all been very friendly to me, but I worry they might be angry that I am taking the spot of a bona fide lesbian or bisexual woman. ここで出てくるtake the spot ofはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 和訳お願いします…

I have to go to sleep, goodnight 〇〇, and remember that things will change and you will find a good situation if you stay positive and keep trying, you can always come visit here and travel to see beautiful nature with me, I'll help as much as I can listening and looking for opportunities for you, I have some ideas already