Opposite of Saint Thomas

このQ&Aのポイント
  • Find out the antonym of Saint Thomas
  • Explore the concept of easily believing without seeing
  • Observations of the easily-believe type in Japanese culture
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

Antonym of "Saint Thomas"

Some of my friends call me Saint Thomas, because they say I am like him. the Apostle who would not believe the resurrection of Jesus until he saw Jesus with his own eyes What do you call person opposite of Thomas who easily believes anything ? As far as I observed Japanese they are easily-believe type. Easy to wash brain. Once they go into a sect of religious or political group, they are instantly brain-washed and become fanatic. Many Japanese including some of my frinds became fanatic without becomming Saint Thomas. What disgusted me was that their fanatic activities are often against peple's welfare. I want to know an English word for the person who does not try to see things with its own eyes, accordingly believes things too easily.

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数2

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
noname#202494
noname#202494
回答No.2

*Easy to trick or deceive* naive (adjective) a naive person lacks experience of life and tends to trust other people and believe things too easily trusting (adjective) willing to trust people, especially when it is not a sensible thing to do gullible (adjective) a gullible person is easy to trick because they trust and believe people too easily unworldly (adjective) someone who is unworldly trusts other people too much and is therefore easily tricked deluded (adjective) believing something that is not true credulous (adjective) tending to believe things that people tell you and therefore easily tricked or cheated an easy target someone who it is easy to criticize, cheat, or steal from gullibility (noun) the tendency to be gullible credulity (noun) a tendency to believe that something is true see someone coming (a mile off) to realize that someone is very easy to trick or cheat Enjoy comparing differences!

0123gokudo
質問者

お礼

Thank you very much for your answer. We see no apostle who would believe too easily the resurrection of Jesus even if he didn't see Jesus with his own eyes. Right?

その他の回答 (2)

• SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.3

Mr. Green もう優れた回答があるのでこれは余分です。 落選候補     simpleton, berk, booby, charlie, cuckoo, ding-a-ling, dingbat, ding-dong, dipstick, doofus, featherhead, git, goose, half-wit, jackass, lunatic, mooncalf, nincompoop, ninny, ninnyhammer, nit, nitwit, nut, nutcase, simp, fool, turkey, yo-yo

0123gokudo
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。 なるほど、Mr. Greenは分かりやすいし、憶えやすいですね。

• marbleshit
  • ベストアンサー率49% (5033/10253)
回答No.1
0123gokudo
質問者

補足

回答ありがとうございます。 Saint Thomasを「疑り深い人」という意味で使うことは分かるのですが、逆に「何でも簡単に信じてしまう人」もいますよね。そういう人たちのことを、一言で表す英語はないのでしょうか? そういう意味の質問なんですが、英語が拙いので伝わらなかったのでしょうか?

関連するQ&A

• I'm lots of thingsの意味

Who are you?と聞かれて I'm lots of things.と答えています。 どいういう意味になりますでしょうか。よろしくお願いいたします。

• 添削お願いします。

英文添削宜しくお願いします。 彼女は感情がすぐ顔[表情]に出るタイプである。    She is the type of person who shows her emotion easily. 行動力があるということは、時に莫大な後悔を生む。 The ability to take action sometimes produces devastating amounts of regret. 彼らは自分の都合の悪い事は答えようとしない。 They wouldn't answer things that may give their disadvantages.

• 英文添削をお願いします

下の文章の添削をお願いできますか? You may already forget when you said to me this but they are enough words for insult me. But even I feel so I still tried to behave nicely at that time. あなたはいつどんなふうにそれを言ったかも覚えてないかもしれなけれど、でもあの言葉の数々は私が屈辱を感じるのに充分だった。それでも、私はあのとききちんとあなたに接しようと努力した。 I wanted to believe that you are not the kind of person who can easily cheat one's wife and daughter. I wanted to believe that it is not possible that you are like that.... 私はあなたが簡単に奥さんや娘さんを裏切るような人だと信じたくなかった。そんな人であるはずないと思いたかった。 以上です。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• よろしくお願いします

Social phobia isn’t shyness. Shy people generally find other shy people to hang out with or are happy to be the quieter member of a group. People with social phobia, on the other hand, have an irrational belief that when they are with other people they are being judged and judged negatively at that. They don’t seek out social activities because they believe that they will embarrass themselves or be criticized by others. Staying away from people is a way of staying away from that fear. Sadly, that tactic only makes things worse. A person who seldom engages with others becomes less and less confident that they even know how. A person who seldom engages with others becomes less and less confident that they even know how.のthatは何にかかっているのでしょうか?訳も教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 英文和訳があります。和訳は正しいですか?

Americans who are in important positions would not make a big fuss about where they sit in a car for another reason. Americans strongly believe in equality as an ideal. Someone who is of high statues is expected to minimize his own importance. The people around him are also expected not to make too much of a fuss over him. An important person who is nice to the "little guy" is respected. 和訳 重要な地位にあるアメリカ人は、もうひとつの理由から車のどこに座るかについて大きな騒ぎは起こしません。アメリカ人は理想としての平等を強力に信じているのです。高い地位にいる人は出来るだけ目立たないようにすることを期待されるのです。彼の周りの人たちもまた、彼を過度にちやほやしないものと思われています。「平凡な人」に親切である影響力のある人が尊敬されるのです。

• 英文と日本語訳があります。翻訳は正しいですか?

Americans who are in important positions would not make a big fuss about where they sit in a car for another reason. Americans strongly believe in equality as an ideal. Someone who is of high statues is expected to minimize his own importance. The people around him are also expected not to make too much of a fuss over him. An important person who is nice to the "little guy" is respected. 日本語訳 重要な地位にあるアメリカ人は、別の理由もあって車内でどこに座るかについて大げさに騒ぐようなことはしないでしょう。アメリカ人は、理想としての平等を強く信じています。高い地位にいる人は、自身の重要度を抑えた振る舞いをすることが期待されるのです。彼の周りの人たちもまた、彼のことで大騒ぎしないことが望まれます。「平凡な人」に印象の良い重要人物が尊敬されるのです。

• 訳し方を教えてください。(映画の解説文)

映画の解説文の一部なのですが、以下のパラグラフの前半部分がよくわかりません。many are not who they have seemed to beはどういう意味でしょうか? 訳し方を教えてください。 By the film’s end many are not who they have seemed to be and the central causes of the initial tragedy are seen as a complex knot of broken people fighting against hopelessness to rediscover the essential things they have lost.

• 英文の和訳です。

全体的には長く大変でしたが、これといって一文が長いものはなかったので、まだ訳せました。 ただ、ところどころ知らない単語や忘れかけていた熟語が出てきたので、覚えておこうと思います。 スペルミスには気を付けましたが… お願いします。  Some of the world´s most famous persons have suffered from a similar disability. Albert Einstein, the physicist. Thomas Edison, the inventor. Auguste Rodin, the artist whose statues are in museums around the world. What disabled these three highly-intelligent men? Strange as it may seem, they all suffered from learning disabilities, the name given to a number of related learning disorders.  Persons with learning disabilities are of normal or higher intelligence. Yet they have great difficulty learning to read, write or use numbers.  Almost always, there is a problem with one of the mental processes needed to understand or use written signs or spoken language. A learning-disabled child sees and hears perfectly well. Yet he or she is unable to recognize differences in sizes, shapes or sounds that are easy for others to recognize.  Learning disabilities are very common. They affect perhaps 10 percent of all children. Four times as many boys as girls have learning disabilities.  Since about 1970, new research has helped brain scientists understand these problems better. Scientists now new there are many different kinds of learning disabilities and that they are caused by many different things. There is no longer any question that all learning disabilities result from differences in the way the brain is organized.  You cannot look at a child and tell if he or she has a learning disability. There is no outward sign of the disorder. So some researchers began looking at the brain itself to learn what might be wrong.  In one study, researchers examined the brain of a learning-disabled person who had died in an accident. They found two unusual things. One involved cells in the left side of the brain, which control language. These cells normally are white. In the learning-disabled person, however, these cells were gray. The researchers also found that many of the nerve cells were not in a line the way they should have been. The nerve cells were mixed together.  This study was carried out under the guidance of Norman Geschwind, an early expert on learning disabilities. Dr. Geschwind proposed that learning disabilities resulted mainly from problems in the left side of the brain. He believed the left side of the brain failed to develop normally. Probably, he said, nerve cells there did not connect as they should.  Researchers are continuing to investigate many possible influences on brain development and organization. They know that the two sides of the brain control opposite sides of the body. Usually, the left side of the brain is stronger than the right side. So most persons are right-handed. They use their right hand for most actions. Researchers long wondered why left-handed boys develop learning disabilities more often than right-handed boys. 以上です。

• 英語の意味を教えてください

英語文章で「accepting them for who they are 」の意味を教えてください。 When someone criticizes you or says something not-so-nice, just forget it. Worse things have been uttered in human history. Even when you know the person meant it, remember that you become stronger by accepting them for who they are and knowing your capabilities.

• 和訳についてお願いします。

A part of history is the story of science, of what we have found out as to how things happen, why they happen and what things are. (質問1) how things happen, why they happen and what things are. 「物事がどのようにして起こるのか、何故起こるのか、それらは何なのか」→訳はこれでよいでしょうか?(更に良いものがあれば教えてください。特に、thingsは「物事」でいいのか、それとも「現象」など、変えてしまっていいのか。) (質問2) 質問1と同じ箇所ですが、「how things happen=物事の生じる過程」「why they happen=物事の生じる理由」「what things are=物事の種類?」最後の「物事の種類」でいいのかよく分かりません。 (質問3) what we have found out as to how things happen, why they happen and what things are.の具体例はどのようなものでしょうか? (質問4) A part of history is the story of science, of what we have found out as to how things happen, why they happen and what things are. この文章は、同格構文だと思いますが、どことどこが同格関係になっているのでしょうか?(自分が思うに、scienceと what we have found outですが、なぜwhat we have found outの前にofがあるのですか?)