• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:a diplomatic hall of mirrors とは)

Understanding 'A Diplomatic Hall of Mirrors'

このQ&Aのポイント
  • The phrase 'went into a diplomatic hall of mirrors' refers to Taiwan's complicated international status that it has been unable to resolve.
  • It means that Taiwan's international position became extremely complex and confusing, making it difficult for the country to navigate its diplomatic relations.
  • The reference to the 'hall of mirrors' suggests that Taiwan's international status is like a maze or puzzle with multiple reflections and distortions.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • d-y
  • ベストアンサー率46% (1528/3312)
回答No.1

hall of mirrorsというのは、まわり中鏡だらけの迷路のようなもので、そのなかにいると自分がどこにいるのか全然分からない状態になるような場所のことだと思います。

itiko04
質問者

補足

回答ありがとうございます。しかし、diplomatic がついているのもあって、文全体を訳するとどうなるのか、それをお願いできますでしょうか?

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• of・・・?coming?

英語を勉強している者です。 わからない所があるので教えて下さい。 That's the whole point of coming to a hot spring. 温泉につかるためにここに来たんじゃない。 ここに(温泉に)来た理由を示している文とお考え下さい。 この whole point の後に続くof coming to a hot spring. の 文の使い方が分かりません。 ofの後は動名詞のcoming なのでしょうか? それだと 温泉へ(に)来る「こと」のwhole point(目的) という変な文章になりませんか? 最初の訳とは程遠い意味合いになると思うのですが。 解答お願いします。

• 文法 の質問です

Hu Jintao, China's president, on Thursday laid out in the clearest terms yet one of Beijing's key conditions for any resumption of talks with Taiwan a call that met with immediate rejection from Chen Shui-bian, Taiwan's president. laid out  は a call につながると思うのですが。 そうすると one of Beijing's key conditions for any resumption of talks with Taiwan はどこにどのようにつながるのでしょうか? 文法的に説明していただきたいのですが。 なお yet は 最上級を修飾して  yet found 等の用法は辞書にも出ていました。 出典は5月12日フィナンシャルタイムズの下記の見出しの記事です。 China cites ‘1992 consensus' as key to Taiwan talks

• 訳してください。お願いします・・・・

The line of analysis runs directly couter to the image, presented by the liberal institutionalists, of the United State as a benign benefactor, underwriting a set of regimes which allowed the members of the anarchic international system to escape from a suboptimum outcome and into a position of Pareto optimality. です。長いので、よく分かりません。よろしくお願いします。

• catching a cuff full of

I parked the car under the black-green canopy of three oaks, and walked towards the sound of the tennis balls. I heard an exasperated voice say, “Deuce again.” It was Brenda and she sounded as though she was sweating considerably. I crackled slowly up the gravel and heard Brenda again. “My ad,” and then just as I rounded the path, catching a cuff full of burrs, I heard, “Game!” Her racket went spinning up in the air and she caught it neatly as I came into sight. “Hello,” I called. 上記の英文でcatching a cuff full of burrs, が何を描写してるのか皆目分かりません。 よろしくお願いします。

• 和訳お願いします!

Inside the vending machine was a container of water with a hole at the bottom. A valve in the hole kept the water from escaping. The valve was attached to one end of a lever. When a coin was dropped into the machine, it fell on one end of the lever. As that end went down, the other end went up, lifting the valve from the hole in the water container. Water would flow out until the lever rocked back. 長くてごめんなさい! 説明文がわかりません(><)

• 英文を訳してください

Yet the very nature of the new weapon proved a mixed blessing, making it as much a source of provocation as of diplomatic leverage. こちらの文の前半なのですが、 a mixed blessingはどのように訳せばいいのでしょうか? 内容はアメリカが核兵器(原爆)を作ったなどの話の流れなのですが、 「しかし、新しい武器の本質は外交的な力のように、多くの挑発の源泉となって~を証明した」となると思うのですが…。 わかる方訳して欲しいです。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• We go into the country,no

We go into the country,not order to escape from noise,but in sarch of a different kind of noise. どうして、カンマが入るのですか?

• 和訳お願いします。

The laws of gravity, the weight of history and of precedent, have caught up with the Obama presidency. We are beyond stirring speeches. The novelty of the Obama approach, and the Obama persona, has worn off. There is a whole American diplomatic tradition to draw upon—engagements made, wisdom acquired in the course of decades, and, yes, accounts to be settled with rogues and tyrannies. They might yet help this administration find its way out of a labyrinth of its own making. 第4文の意味がわかりません。訳して頂けませんか。

• the way of the world

NHK実践ビジネス英語2016年8月号Lesson 9(4)のWuさんの台詞です。 But that's the way of the world these days, I’m sorry to say. 「でも残念ながら、近ごろの世の中ではそれは当たり前なのです。」 That's the Way of the World(邦題:暗黒への挑戦)は、Earth Wind & Fireのスタジオ・アルバムです。大げさな邦題が付いていますがグループ名に合わせたのでしょうか。曲の歌い出しが次のように始まります。 Hearts of fire creates love desire Take you high and higher to the world you belong 曲の中頃に次の歌詞lyricsがあります。 Stay young at heart, 'cause you're never, never old That's the way of the world と言うことで、また少し頑張ろうと思いました。続いてが、今回の質問部分です。 Plant your flower and you grow a pearl Child is born with a heart of gold Way of the world makes his heart so cold 歌詞の文句で文法を持ち出すのも、野暮な話ですが、 Plant your flower and you grow a pearl は、命令文+andですから、「あなたの花を植えろ、そうして真珠を育てる。」 [質問1] 日本語としては変な感じですが、何かの言い回しでしょうか? 因みに、”grow a pearl”は米国大手スパーマーケットチェーンTargetのOnline Shoppingサイトの名前になっています。関係ないかな。 2行目の「黄金の心を持って生まれた子供」が、3行目では、”Way of the world”によって彼の心が冷たいものにされてしまいます。 [質問2] Way of the worldには定冠詞theがありません。この曲の主題である”the way of the world”とは違うものですか?違うとしたら、どういう意味でしょうか? Wu: It’s awful, isn’t it? But that's the way of the world these days, I’m sorry to say. Social media lets people be anonymous and not take responsibility for their actions. And yet it’s crystal clear what they’re doing because social media often makes it easy to see how the person ignoring us is interacting with other people. @2016年8月L9(4) [ついでながら] NHK講座のテキストでの使われ方は、曲のイメージとは異なるようですが、私自身は、the way of the world these days「世の中そんなもんだよ、近頃は」と訳してみました。フーテンの寅さんなら何て言うでしょうね? ※OKWAVEより補足:テーマ「実践ビジネス英語」から投稿された質問です。

• よろしくお願いします

Bud still doesn't manage his money well. He needs so many things in his house, yet he went out and bought a truck he doesn't need. He now has six years of payments on it, his auto insurance went up, and if he ever needs new tires, we are talking thousands of dollars. I want him to sell it and get a reasonably priced truck. He says he will lose money on the sale, which is true, but why sink even more into it? lose money on the saleとsink even more into itの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします