Is it "give up trying" or "give on up trying"?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • "give on up trying" is incorrect. The correct phrase is "give up trying".
  • In a study on the effects of smoking on mental and physical health, Dr. Benjamin advised people who are trying to quit not to give up trying.
  • According to VOA News, both mental and physical health are affected by smoking.
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

give on up trying

下記の英文に、"give on up trying."とありますが、単に"give up trying."と書くべきものを間違えたのか、"give on up trying."は正しいのか教えてください。 Dr. Benjamin told people who are trying to quit not to give on up trying. Dr.Benjamin は(タバコを)やめようとしている人々にあきらめないようにといった。 よろしくお願いします。 出展:VOA News http://www.voanews.com/english/news/health/Studies-Show-Smoking-Affects-Both-Mental-Physical-Health-112377664.html

• 英語
  • 回答数3
  • ありがとう数3

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • ucok
  • ベストアンサー率37% (4288/11421)
回答No.2

give up on trying の間違いだと思います。意味はgive up tryingとほぼ同じですが、前者のほうが「trying“に関して”give up」というニュアンスが深まります。

dartymac
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。give up on trying という表現があるんですね。

その他の回答 (2)

• shougiL
  • ベストアンサー率84% (11/13)
回答No.3

give up on trying という表現はあるみたいですよ。 give up trying の方が一般的だと思いますが、give up on trying も使われる表現だと思います。 この場合は、「on」 と 「up」 が逆になっている、というパターンですね。

dartymac
質問者

お礼

回答ありがとうございます。

• KappNets
  • ベストアンサー率27% (1557/5688)
回答No.1

give up trying が正しいと思います。

dartymac
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございました。

関連するQ&A

• getting up on top

下記の英文の最後の"getting up on top" とはどういう意味ですか。よろしくお願いします。 As the president's motorcade made its way through Dealey Plaza in Dallas, Hill was on a vehicle behind the presidential limousine. “I heard an explosive noise to my right rear, the rear of the motorcade," said Hill. "I saw the president grab at his throat and move to his left and I knew something was wrong, so I jumped and ran toward the presidential car with the idea of getting up on top. 【出展】 VOA: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Secret-Service-Agents-Open-Up-About-Kennedy-Assassination-134257948.html

• bang for your buck

下記の文のbecause 以下の意味がわからないので、教えていただけませんか。 よろしくお願いします。 "Most of my focus has been on diet, because the bang for your buck for changing your diet is really profound," Mozaffarian noted. --補足-- 【前後の文】 At the Harvard School of Public Health, Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian focuses on the connection between diet and chronic diseases. "Most of my focus has been on diet, because the bang for your buck for changing your diet is really profound," Mozaffarian noted. And Dr. Mozafarrian believes that just as growing numbers of Americans have quit their smoking habits, they can beat the obesity trap, and avoid the cancers and other diseases that result. 【出展】 VOA:http://www.voanews.com/english/news/health/Report-Obesity-Related-Cancers-Rising-136871703.html

• 文の構造がわからないのですが、教えてください

”There will continue to be outbreaks of this sectarian violence. It's extremists trying to ignite sectarian violence is what's going on.”  上の文でThere will の後にcontinueという動詞が来ていますが、どのような構造なんでしょうか。 それから、次の文はwhat's going onをthe thing that's going onと取りましたが、でもis が2つあって構造がよくわかりません。正しい文ではないような気がするのですが...。でもそうだとしたらどのようにかえればよいのですか。話しているうちに、違うことを言おうとして文が乱れたのかなとも思うのですが、よくわかりません。 これはVOAのニュース http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-10-26-voa3.cfm の5段落めです。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• in which とhow について

以下の文章にin whichとありますが、 Now let’s listen to Dr. Boufford talk about how businesses are reacting to the ways in which living in a city affects their employees’ health. which はways を説明しているのですが、文章を繋げないで書くとしたら、 1.Now let’s listen to Dr. Boufford talk about how businesses are reacting to the way 2. Living in a city affects their employees' health in it. というのは正しいでしょうか。 又、関係副詞howに置き換えて Now let’s listen to Dr. Boufford talk about how businesses are reacting to how living in a city affects their employees’ health. というのは文法的には正しいのでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• give that....

以下の英文でいくつか質問があります。 1.この文の構成は基本的に私たちはall the folksにthat以下のことをgiveするという理解でいいのでしょうか。 2.a heads-up to a day or two earlierのtoの役割は何でしょうか、省略は可能でしょうか。 3.we thoughtは挿入されているという解釈でいいのでしょうか。 よろしくお願いいたします。 So we can give all the folks that we gave a heads-up to a day or two earlier, we can say okay, it’s worse than we expected, it’s as expected, or maybe it’s a bit of a dud and is not going to be the impact we thought it might have here on Earth.

• この off はどういう意味?

ここでの off はどういう意味で使われていますか。よろしくお願いします。 Off the Caribbean island of Dominica, school children are thrilled to see whales up close. 出展:http://www.voanews.com/english/news/environment/Nations-Debate-Changes-to-International-Ban-on-Commercial-Whaling--91760794.html

• 問題が解けません

一応自分でも解いてみたのですが、分からない点があるので解説をお願いします。 全て選択問題です。 1, Could you give me ( ) about the hotel? (1)an information (2)many information (3)many informations (4)some information 「information」はたいてい不可算名詞として扱われるみたいですが、この場合どれを選択したらよいのでしょう? 2, That sofa would take up too ( ) in the flat. (1)much room (2)much rooms (3)many room (4)many rooms 答えは(1)だと思ったのですが、訳し方がイマイチ分かりません・・・。 3. He has quit ( ) because of his poor health. (1)drinking (2)to drink (3)of drinking (4)from drinking 「quit」の後は「~ing」が来るので、答えは(1)だと思ったのですが、「his poor health」はどう訳せば良いですか? 4 Bill is ( ) to turn up on time. (1)capable (2)necessary (3)sure (4)used 自分の答えは(3)です。 「be sure to」=「きっと~する」 「turn up」=「折り返す」 「on time」=「時間通りに」 これで、「きっと時間通りに折り返す」という風に考えました。 解答お待ちしております。

• taking their tolls on

下記の文章のtaking their tolls on のtheir は、何を指していますか。Enviromental stress を指していると思いますが、その場合意味が良くわかりません。 わかる方がいらっしゃいましたら、よろしくお願いします。 Environmental stresses are taking their tolls on the insects, however, and this year's Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement has gone to researcher May Berenbaum, who is studying solutions to the bee crisis. *take a toll on ~に被害[損害]を与える、~に犠牲を強いる 前後の文章 Bees play an important role in agriculture, pollinating crops and providing us with the natural sweetener, honey. Environmental stresses are taking their tolls on the insects, however, and this year's Tyler Prize for Environmental Achievement has gone to researcher May Berenbaum, who is studying solutions to the bee crisis. 出展:VOA http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Bee-Expert-Honored-with-Tyler-Environmental-Prize-121265429.html

• 英語討論「公共の場での喫煙は禁止すべきか」の添削お願いしますl。

「公共の場での喫煙は禁止すべきか」というテーマで英語討論をすることになりました。私なりの考えを英文でまとめてみました。英語の討論をあまりしたことがないのですが、このような表現でよいのか自身がありません。よきアドバイスをおねがいします。 Smoking should be banned in public places; for or against? I support a bun about smoking in public places such as eating and drinking places , department stores, hospitals, theaters, assembly halls , and so on….. For reason, the first, the harmful effects of tobacco on health are well known. I read on the web that every year about 5 million people around the world die from tobacco-related illnesses. Moreover evidence about the risks of passive smoking is clear, I’ve hard that second-hand smoking in the workplace causes many deaths each year. I have a child so I worried when I go with my son to stores or restaurant, if there is a person who is smoking around us. The second reason is that a ban would encourage more smokers to quit. My husband smokes every day, but I want him to quit smoking for my son, me and himself. I think ,however , It’s difficult for him to quit… The third, the health-promotion law in Japan aims to prevent passive smoking in public places. Now, many eating places have smoking or non-smoking seats, but I think for preventing passive smoking, smoking places should be covered tightly. More aggressive methods are required.

• "breast of cancer" ?

下記文中の”breast of cancer” は”cancer of breast”の間違いでしょうか。それとも文法的に正しいのでしょうか。 よろしくお願いします。 Dr. Sterns said researchers need to find out how much of the drug is needed and how often it should be administered to rid the breast of cancer. --出展-- http://www.voanews.com/english/news/health/New-Breast-Cancer-Treatment-Shows-Great-Promise-135778523.html