意味とは?neo-Vulcan pursuitsとは?

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 高校生時代、怒りと自制心に問題がありました。禅宗仏教と空手を研究していましたが、自分自身を再発明するには日本が最適な場所だと思いました。自分の尖った右耳が私をneo-Vulcan pursuitsに引き寄せているのかもしれませんが、はっきりとはわかりません。
  • 高校生の頃、怒りと自制心に問題を抱えていました。禅宗仏教と空手を学んでいた私は、自分自身を再生するために日本が最適な場所だと考えました。私の先の尖った右耳が私をneo-Vulcan pursuitsに引き寄せているかもしれませんが、はっきりとはわかりません。
  • 私は高校時代、怒りと自制心の問題を抱えていました。禅宗仏教と空手の勉強をしていた私は、自分自身を再発明するために日本を選びました。私の尖った右耳が私をneo-Vulcan pursuitsに引き寄せているのかもしれませんが、確かではありません。
回答を見る
  • ベストアンサー

neo-Vulcan pursuitsの意味

In high school I had many problems with anger and self-control. I had been studying Zen Buddhism and karate, and I thought Japan would be the perfect place to reinvent myself. It could be that my pointy right ear draws me toward neo-Vulcan pursuits--I don’t know. という英文がありました。最後の行のneo-Vulcan pursuitsとは、どういう意味でしょうか? 先の尖った右耳というのも何を指しているのでしょうか? (スタートレックのミスタースポックみたいなもの?)

• engg
  • お礼率90% (926/1022)
  • 英語
  • 回答数1
  • ありがとう数1

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • cbm51910
  • ベストアンサー率60% (460/762)
回答No.1

お察しの通り、"neo-Vulcan" とは「近代のバルカン人(的な)」の意味だと思います。 "neo-Vulcan pursuits" は、「近代バルカン人への探究」とでも言いましょうか。 この方は元々怒りっぽく自制心に欠けていると言っています。そのため禅と空手を通して、日本の文化に触れ、日本こそ自分が生まれ変わるのに最適な場所だと言っています。 スタートレックの中でバルカン人(e.g.ミスター・スポック)は、高い知性を有し、論理的で自制心が非常に強いという特徴を持ったヒューマノイイドとして描かれています。 恐らくこの方はこうした特徴を日本人に対するイメージに重ねているのだと思います。合っているかどうかは別として...

engg
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます! スタートレックは名前を知ってる程度で詳しく知りませんでした。スタートレック、バルカン人で調べてみます! お礼が遅くなってしまって、すみません!

関連するQ&A

• 意味が分かりません。

子供が生まれたミュージシャンがコメントするというシチュエーションで、 "The fans would have loved it and, to be honest with you, had I not had a tour and an album coming out I'd have maybe done the whole tour." 「ファンはそれを愛するだろう、正直に言うと、~」 この後半の意味が分かりません。お願いします。hadが文頭に来ているのはどういう文法でしょうか?

• どのような意味でしょうか

I'm 29. I never had a chance to date in high school. My family farms, and when I was 14, my grandfather could no longer help my dad. Dad couldn't take care of things alone, so I would go out and help him the minute I got home from school every day. Between the farm work and keeping up with my studies, I had to grow up fast. I graduated with a 3.5 grade point average, but because I had no time for dating, this part of my development has always been off. this part of my development has always been offとはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 意味の違い教えてください

意味の違いがわかるように和訳をお願いします 1-1 I hope you are strong and healthy. 1-2 I wish you were strong and healty. 2-1 If you help him,he will be happy. 2-2 If you had helped him , he would have been happy. 3-1 If he had started yesterday, he would be in time. 3-2 If he had started yesterday, he' have been in time. 4-1 Two more days would be enough for the work. 4-2 In another week, I would have been back at home. よろしくお願いします

• 意味の違い教えてください

意味の違いがわかるように和訳教えてください 1 I hope you are strong and healthy. I wish you were strong and healthy. 2 If he had started yesterday, he would be in time. If he had started yesterday , he' have been in time. よろしくお願いします

• 意味を教えてください

I went to high school with a bunch of privileged, wealthy assholes who grew up to be more of the same. I grew up to be someone who doesn’t take shit, and I feel like the chip on my shoulder that’s been there since I was 13 is what’s keeping me from breaking down right now. grew up to be more of the sameとdoesn’t take shitの意味を教えてください。よろしくお願いします

• 過去完了・現在完了などについて教えてください。

質問の意味は分かるのですが、応え方が分かりません。 自分なりに回答を考えてみました。どうか解説をお願いいたします。 1.What are you doing right now? →I've been studying right now. 2.How long have you been? →I've been studying for three hours. 3.What were you doing last night at nine o'clock? →I had been studying last night at nine o'clock. 4.What time did you stop? →I had been stopped at 11 o'clock. 5.Why did you stop? →I had been finished. 6.How long had you been before you stopped? →I had been stopped before for three hours. 7.What are you going to be doing at nine o'clock tomorrow night? →I will be have been studying at nine o'clock tomorrow night. 8.What time are you going to stop? →I will be have stopped at 11 o'clock. 9.Why? → I will be have finished study. 10.How long will you have been before you stop? → I will be have stopped before three hours.

• 和訳をよろしくお願いします

I've had straight As in high school for the past two years and junior year, though theoretically the hardest, is shaping up to be lots of busy work... and lots of free points.http://community.sparknotes.com/2014/11/11/auntie-sparknotes-i-hate-my-body though以下の和訳をよろしくお願いします

• どのような意味でしょうか

Q. Old mementos: When I was in middle school, I kept a journal of my day-to-day activities and continued to do so throughout high school. It was a great writing exercise for me at the time and now serves as a great way to look back at those times in my life and see what I was up to. During those times, my friends and I would often print out pictures of boys we had crushes on from MySpace (which was the big thing at the time!). I had pasted those pictures in my journals. My question is: Is it weird to keep those pictures now as an adult? I feel like the guys in question would be weirded out if they knew I had pictures from their school days saved in my old journals that I printed off their MySpace pages—but I don’t want to get rid of them, either! I have fond memories of those days. What’s your opinion? A: It’s no weirder than keeping a yearbook. You’re not pulling up these guys’ old profiles on the Wayback Machine and printing them out now; pulling up these guys’ old profilesはどのような意味でしょうか?よろしくお願いします

• 英訳が難しい・・・

よろしくお願いします。 下記の日本語を、英語にしたいのですが 難しく、ニュアンスが伝わる形で英訳したいのですが 下記の()のニュアンスをだしたいです。 アドバイスいただけないでしょうか・・・? ”私は中学から今まで空手をずっと続けてきた 空手を通して自分(の心)を見つめているのだ。 自分は(長い間空手をしているが)未だに有段者ではない。 それは、黒帯を締められるほど、(空手を通して自分を律する)心が成熟していないからだ。(取ろうと思えば取れるが、あえてとらないのである) 空手に教わったこと、それは 勝つ心を持たないこと、負けない心を持つこと、という人生に対する姿勢である” 自分なりに英訳すると ”I have played KARATE since junior high school. I look at myself through playing KARATE. I have not yet had a black belt. Because I am not so matured that I have a black belt. I learned thorough KARATE an attitude that don't have will to win,have will not to lose." こんな形でつたわるのでしょうか? アドバイスを頂ければと思います。

• 添削お願いします。

To be honest, I wanted to study abroad in Australia after graduating high school. But I had not enough money to go there. So I enterned a cheaper tuition university in Japan, and got the job and earned money. 本当は高校卒業してオーストラリアの大学に行きたかった。 だけど、そこに行くための十分な費用がなかった。 だから、費用の安い日本の大学に入って、仕事を見つけお金を稼いだ。 よろしくお願いします。