• ベストアンサー
※ ChatGPTを利用し、要約された質問です(原文:下記の文章が、さっぱりよくわかりません。大意で良いので、どなたか説明い)

William Hill loses £500,000 due to octopus's forecasts

このQ&Aのポイント
  • William Hill, a betting agency, claims to have lost £500,000 as punters followed the forecasts of an octopus.
  • Many people lost money with the agency, so they are happy that William Hill suffered a loss.
  • However, it is believed that the octopus also made the agency a lot of money.

質問者が選んだベストアンサー

• ベストアンサー
  • SPS700
  • ベストアンサー率46% (15295/33014)
回答No.1

ウイリアム・ヒルは、賭けをする連中が彼にアドヴァイスを聞くべく集まったため、タコの予言で五十万ポンド損をしたという。 いい気味だ(ウイリアム・ヒルは賭け事のエージェントだ)私はおかげで金をゴマンと無くした、だから損したと聞いて嬉しい。しかしだ、このイカが多額の儲けをもたらしたことも間違いないと睨んでいる。  これは多分ドイツの水族館でワールドカップの8試合全部を、正確に言い当てた、蛸のことでしょう。終わりに sqid とあるのは squid「イカ」の間違いで、さらにこの「タコ」を指していると思います。

kokipiyo
質問者

お礼

ありがとうございます!

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 下記英文について質問があります

What was it that made the collection of Gamelan instruments so appealing to you? The fact that I had never played any of them before.Knowing that I would not see a collection like that in too many places made it really easy to decide to work with them. I think because I was so unfamiliar with the instruments it allowed me to approach them in a very unbiased way. To treat them purely as sound objects without the weight of tradition or set of rules about how to play them. Probably much to the horror of Gamelan traditionalists out there … Q1 Knowing that I would not see a collection like that in too many places made it really easy to decide to work with them. この文章の構造がわかりません。Knowingは動名詞ですよね。だとしたら、このknowingを受ける動詞はどれになりますか?madeでしょうか? Knowing made it really easy to decide to work with them. これで、knowing that~は、that以下を「知る事」は、ガムランを弾いてみるという決断を容易にした。 しかし、that以下がどうもピンと来ません・・・。 無理矢理直訳すると、「多くの場所であのようなコレクションを見た事がなかったと知る事は、them(ガムラン)を弾いてみるという決断を容易にした。」となりますが・・・。何も知らないからこそ、知りたいという欲求が沸いてきたということを言いたいのでしょうか? Q2 I think because I was so unfamiliar with the instruments it allowed me to approach them in a very unbiased way. このセンテンスのallowedはどう訳出しますか? Q3 Probably much to the horror of Gamelan traditionalists out there … このセンテンスの意味がわかりません。 Muchは名詞ですか?  The horror of Gamelan traditionalistsというのはガムランの伝統主義者の憎悪。ですか? つまり、この人は完全にガムランをオリジナルな扱い方をしたので、こう言っているのかと。 この文章の構造がわかりません。Knowingは動名詞ですよね。 無理矢理直訳すると、「多くの場所であのようなコレクションを見た事がなかったと知る事は、them(ガムラン)を弾いてみようという決断に至るのが簡単にした。」となりますが・・・。 以上です。よろしくお願いいたします。

• この文章の和訳をお願いします。

For the cases where |b_i~| is smaller than about 5.7, a particle with δ*=0 can enter the Hill sphere. The same as for the case e_i~=0, a particle which enters the Hill sphere revolves around the planet and after the complicated motion it escapes from the Hill sphere. As a result of this, the particle has quite different osculating orbital elements at the final stage from the initial. At the same time, a particle sometimes happens to be able to collide with the planet during the revolution. As |b_i~| decreases, the region of δ*, with which a particle experiences a large angle scattering or a direct collision, propagate on both sides around δ*=0 as seen from Fig.7. We can also see from this that the region of |b_i~| where a particle is largely scattered or collides with the planet, is shifted outward (i.e., to the side of large values of |b_i~| in comparison with that for the case e_i~=0). This is due to the fact that a particle has a finite eccentricity in this case and it can come close to the Hill sphere near the perigee point even if the impact parameter |b_i~| is relatively large. Fig.7. The change of the eccentricity ⊿e~ versus the parameter δ*, for particle orbits with various values of b_i~ and with e_i~=4. As b_i~ decreases from 6.0 to 2.0, the regions where a large scattering occurs spread to both sides of δ*=0. For b_i~=1, particles return half way to an opposite side of b_i~=0, conserving the initial eccentricity. 長文になりますが、どうかよろしくお願いします。

• この文章を訳して頂けますでしょうか

Don't say that life is always worth living!! Life is a experience that alot of people won't get maybe they die at birth or die young maybe. God put us all here for a reason! Don't you ever think your life is not valued . Always cherish life. I'm always going to be your friend and be here for you I got your back always. It's better for me this way because it's not fair to you that I don't know what I want right now. And things are changing now.

• 下記の英文について教えてください。

When I think of old wives' tales and superstitions I think of childhood, which is naturally when I first encountered them, usually as warnings from adults. Whether from parents, grandparents, other people's parents, or even teachers, the authority of whomever told me that walking under a ladder was courting disaster, or that it was unlucky to tread on cracks in the pavement, or that if I broke a mirror it would bring seven years of misfortune, was enough to make me accept this unquestioningly. 出典 Black Cats & Four-Leaf Clovers whomever は文法的に間違いで、whoever です。文の骨格は the authority was enough to make me accept this unquestioningly. というのは分かるのですが、of whomever をどのように訳すと日本語らしくなるのかがわかりません。教えてください。

• 下記英文について質問があります

すいません質問があります。 I know Scott, as a producer, loves to single-handedly put other bands to shame and just slam the fuckin’ door closed on whole genres of shit. この英文の意味を教えてください。スコットというのはミュージシャンでもありプロデューサーでもある人物です。 I ain’t even trying to give the illusion that this is a “band” この文章の意味を教えてください。 自分のバンドにドラマーは必要かどうかという質問に対する回答です。 I personally am not a “performance” artist, I can not just manifest staged rage and act all aggro just because it’s go time — I’m not that theatrical or dramatic of a person. If the rest of them for some reason need the ego boost, they can go ahead [and perform live]. I don’t really care. 俺は「パフォーマンスアーティスト」ってやつじゃない。ステージで怒りを表現することなんて出来ないし、敵意をむき出しにするような態度もとれない。芝居じみたことをするような人間じゃないんだ、俺は。これ以降の if the rest of them~がわかりません。themとはなんなのか? theyとは何なのかというのもわからないです。 以上3つになります。よろしくお願いします。

• 次の英語の文章の間違いを文法的に説明して下さい

次の5つの英語の文章の間違いを、文法的に説明して下さい。添削指導するような感じで、丁寧に教えて頂けると幸いです。 問題は、「一億円の自由になるお金を持っていて、何か世界のためになることに寄付するとしたら、あなたはどのような団体に寄付したいと思うか。その理由と主に70語程度の英語で述べよ」というものです。 (1) I want to contribute one hundred millions yen to an organization which considers environment because I think that the earth is danger now. I wonder that it will be more danger in the coming generation. I want not to burden people to the future about the earth's environmental problem so much. (2) I want to contribute to the International Red Cross Society, if I have one hundred million for free. Many people living in poverty in the world, so I think we should do something what we can do for them. For example, the student council of my high school gathers many plastic bottle caps, then sends to them to developing countries. (3) I would contribute the money to building schools in indeveloped countries in Africa. Because I think the education in the youth play a very important role, and every child has the right to get an equal education. We get education as a matter of course, but in Africa many children can't. Kowing and learning something is interested, I want that they know a log of things of the world as to become international people. (4) I will subscribe the money to international organizations that are providing foods for many children who are starving in the world. The reason is that I want to help them in any way, whenever I watch their terrible situations on TV. I don't want to see the sorrowful sights that children who are of an age with me or younger than me are suffering any more. (5) If I had one hundred million yen, I would donate UNICEF. Because UNICEF contribute for poor children who live in the countries at war or in the devastated area by natural disasters. I cannot go there even if I had big money and was eager to provide them food and medical care, because it is very dangerous for me. So, I will donate UNICEF which help them by various ways. よろしくお願いいたします。

• この文章中のthatって?

I think most people believe that the greatest countries are those that have beaten in battle the greatest number of other countries and ruled over them as conquerors. (ほとんどの人は、最も優れた国とは最も多くの他国を戦いで撃ち破り、征服者としてそれらの国を治めた国である、と思っていることでしょう) 長文を解いていたら、こんな一文が登場しました。訳は回答に添えられていたものです。 この文中の二度目に出てくるthatの働きがいまいちよくわかりません。thatの直前のthoseがcountriesのことを示しているのは理解できたのですが、このthatがなぜ必要なのかわからないのです。 教えてください!

• 晩餐会で引用されたポーの文章について

And banquets remind me of some passages from the works of Edgar Allan Poe, which seem to have been missed by those that sometimes abuse Eton. As I feel sure that these passages would give them pleasure I quote one here,leaving those for whom I quote them the exitement of proving them true. It is from a story called "William Willson" and tells of life of Eaton. Eton 出身の作者の文章です。晩餐会で引用されたポーの文章についてです。その作品は時にEtonを愚弄しているので、その部分はmiss(省略)された・・・ということなのでしょうか? 以下の文章では、自分がひとつ引用する文章が楽しみをもたらす理由(それが正しいと証明する興奮をもたらす?)がよく頷けません。 アドバイス頂けると助かります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

• 下記の英文を教えて下さい。

アメリカのネットショップで小物を複数購入しました。支払いは終わっているのですが、商品と発送のことでメールが来ました。すみませんが意味を教えてください。お願いします。 Hope you are well. I see that you have made payment already. I believe that you will be booking your own courier then. Please do not book them yet, I will let you know once your order is ready. I have a question re the MADE IN USA labels, they are to go on the plastic packaging of the AAA, is this correct...? Also, some of the purses come in boxes but I think that you want the label to go on the BBB plastic AAA rather than the box in which the purse sits, is this correct..?

• この文章の和訳をお願いします。

Fig.4. Magnified figures of one of the discontinuous bands in 1.915<b_i~<1.925 in Figs. 3(a) and (b). There are many fine discontinuous bands in itself. Fig.5. Examples of particle orbits which belong to the discontinuous bands in Fig.4.  (a) and (b) are of particles which escape from the Hill sphere through the gate of L_1 and through that of L_2, respectively. The values of b_i~ are 1.91894 (a) and 1.91898 (b). Fig.6. Examples of purely Keplerian orbits with e_i~=4 for b_i~=2 and b_i~=10. The former curls (|b_i~|<4(e_i~/3) and the latter waves (|b_i~|>4(e_i~/3)). The values of δ* of both orbits are zero. ↓Fig.4. http://www.fastpic.jp/images.php?file=0045805708.jpg ↓Fig.5. http://www.fastpic.jp/images.php?file=9845810934.jpg ↓Fig.6. http://www.fastpic.jp/images.php?file=0162323295.jpg どうかよろしくお願いします。