• 締切済み

晩餐会で引用されたポーの文章について

And banquets remind me of some passages from the works of Edgar Allan Poe, which seem to have been missed by those that sometimes abuse Eton. As I feel sure that these passages would give them pleasure I quote one here,leaving those for whom I quote them the exitement of proving them true. It is from a story called "William Willson" and tells of life of Eaton. Eton 出身の作者の文章です。晩餐会で引用されたポーの文章についてです。その作品は時にEtonを愚弄しているので、その部分はmiss(省略)された・・・ということなのでしょうか? 以下の文章では、自分がひとつ引用する文章が楽しみをもたらす理由(それが正しいと証明する興奮をもたらす?)がよく頷けません。 アドバイス頂けると助かります。 どうぞよろしくお願いいたします。

みんなの回答

noname#202629
noname#202629
回答No.2

And banquets remind me of some passages from the works of Edgar Allan Poe, which seem to have been missed by those that sometimes abuse Eton. Eton出身であれば、Etonは地名になりますね。 those は代名詞で unspecified number of people と言う意味があります。 by those that sometimes abuse Eton Etonを馬鹿に(愚弄)する人達 have been missed ”的を外す”のmissで転じて”気が付かない”とでも訳すと思うのですが、 Etonを馬鹿にする人達には気が付かないと思われる・・の一節を思い起こす・・ As I feel sure that these passages would give them pleasure I quote one here 彼ら(Etonを馬鹿にする人達)にとってもこれらの節は喜びに成り得ると思うため、此処にその一節を引用します。 leaving those for whom I quote them the excitement of proving them true. 此処からは、参考程度で考えてみてください。 文章の構造は Leave it ture. Leave (those) people ture. it=those for whom I quote them the excitement of proving them ↓ unspecified number of people who i quote them for the excitement proving them となるはずですが、このthemは”people(those)”を示すのかまたは、”Etonを愚弄した人達”なのか、その他の何かかがわかりません。 このthemを前の(those=unspecified number of people) として訳した場合 これらの人を証明する喜びのため私が引用したその人達(である人達)が真実であれ・・とでも訳のですかね?

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

ご回答ありがとうございます。言葉が足りずすみません。イートン校出身ということです。ご指摘部分精査してみます。

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。
noname#181603
noname#181603
回答No.1

miss は「懐かしく思う」 leave those (for whom I quote them) the excitement 「彼らに興奮を残す」 簡単に言うと 「晩餐会はポーの作品の文章を思い出させます。それはイートンを愚弄する連中が懐かしく思うものです。その文が彼らを喜ばせると確信しているので、ここに一つ引用します。後は、引用するので、それを正しいと証明する興奮を彼らに味わっていただきたい....」

hiro_ga2_91
質問者

お礼

missの意味を取り違えていました。ご指摘どうもありがとうございました!

全文を見る
すると、全ての回答が全文表示されます。

関連するQ&A

• 引用とモンテーニュ

下の英文を「引用とモンテーニュ」という見出しで収納したいのですが、「引用」にあたるquotationは複数形の方がいいでしょうか。 There were frequent passages of commentary in the Essays, and hundreds of quotations from authors who Montaigne felt had captured points more elegantly and more acutely than he was able to. He quoted Plato 128 times, Lucretius 149 and Seneca 130.   It is tempting to quote authors when they express our very own thoughts but with a clarity and psychological accuracy we cannot match. They know us better than we know ourselves. What is shy and confused in us is succinctly and elegantly phrased in them, our pencil lines and annotations in the margins of their books and our borrowings from them indicating where we find a piece of ourselves, a sentence or two built of the very substance of which our own minds are made... ...  * Alain de Botton, The Consolations of Philosophy

• この文章中のthatって?

I think most people believe that the greatest countries are those that have beaten in battle the greatest number of other countries and ruled over them as conquerors. (ほとんどの人は、最も優れた国とは最も多くの他国を戦いで撃ち破り、征服者としてそれらの国を治めた国である、と思っていることでしょう) 長文を解いていたら、こんな一文が登場しました。訳は回答に添えられていたものです。 この文中の二度目に出てくるthatの働きがいまいちよくわかりません。thatの直前のthoseがcountriesのことを示しているのは理解できたのですが、このthatがなぜ必要なのかわからないのです。 教えてください!

• 下記の文章が、さっぱりよくわかりません。大意で良いので、どなたか説明い

下記の文章が、さっぱりよくわかりません。大意で良いので、どなたか説明いただけないでしょうか? どうぞよろしくお願いします。 William Hill claiming the octopus's forecasts cost them £500,000 as punters flocked to follow his advice.' - GOOD! (william Hill a betting agency) I lost loads of $$$$ with them so happy they got beat BUT I garentee that that Sqid made them ALOT of $$$$ also

• この文章がうまく訳せません

Results indicate that, at increasing levels of distress, those who believe in greater attention to mood were more likely to report physical symptoms. at increasing levels of distressの訳し方と,その後の文章とのつなげかたがうまくできません。 「increasing levels of distressでは,(those who以下)の人は…」という訳し方でよいのでしょうか? どなたかご指導ください。

• isは省略可能?

文法がわかりません。以下のページの記事の英文http://cheeptalk.wordpress.com/2011/03/29/liars-of-various-sorts/についてなのですが、最後から二番目の段落の一番最後の文章、 (引用開始)That’s because if other people are checking me and many of them demonstrate with their allegiance that they believe me, it reveals that my statements checked out with those that investigated.(引用終了) の文法に関して一部疑問点があります。私なりの目下の解釈では、 それは、他の人々が私の言っていることを調べ、そのうちの多くが私を信じると表明した場合、私の言っている内容が彼らにより精査された内容と一致しているということが明らかになるからである。 というものですが、もしそのような意味内容であるとすれば、 with those that investigated という部分は、with those that is investigated とすべきではないでしょうか?それともisを省略できるのでしょうか? または私の解釈が間違っているのでしょうか?よくわかりません。 よろしくお願いいたします。

• 英語を日本語に翻訳して欲しいです。

英文を日本語訳にして頂けますか。 about your requested on the different species, a lot of those species we are not allow to export them from Florida and even to touch them$B!D(B i know a lot of those species are been exporter thru California and now is been more restriction on a lot of the turtles i'm not going to be able to help you with that on lizard yes some of them i get them from time to time$B!D(B please send your complete order and as you want to proceed with the order... お願いします。

• 英語の文章の文法が分かりません

テキストに載っていた英語の文章がよく分かりません。 タイトルが、「車の影響について」です。 載っていた文章の男の方の文章をそのまま載せさせていただきます。 --------------------- But don't you think of the impact to the environment of driving? 1.I mean, all the gas and oil that you burn to drive. Not to mention, I mean, 2.just the car itself. 3.All those materials that are made. Why do you need all of that? でも車の環境への影響を考えていないでしょう? 車が走る為にはガソリンを燃やします。 その際、別の物質が出来ます。 そんなものが本当に必要でしょうか? --------------------- まず分からないのが、1番で、thatを関係代名詞と考えた場合、主語の後にto driveしか残らない見た事もない文法になり、 訳し方も分かりません。 直感的には、 「ガスとオイルは運転するためにもやしてます」 そして、2番で、名詞だけあって、文法も訳し方も分かりません。 「あなたが燃やしているのではなく、車自身が燃やしています」みたいな感じですか・・・? 3番は、thatが関係代名詞だとやっぱり主語しかないよく分からない文法で訳し方もよく分かりません。 「それらの物質は作り替えられます」でしょうか? 文法と訳し方を解説してください。 よろしくお願いします。

• この文章を訳してもらえませんか

難しくて・・・、自動翻訳とかだとわけ分からないので Some people think that sustainable society would have to stop using nonrenewable resources, since their use is by definition unsustainable. That idea is an overly rigid interpretation of what it means to be sustainable. Certainly a sustainable society would use gifts from the earth's crust more thoughtfully and efficiently than the present world does. It would price them properly and keep more of them available for future generations. But there is no reason not to use them, as long as their use meets the criterion of sustainability already defined, namely that renewable substitutes should be developed, so that no future society finds itself built around the use of resource that is suddenly no longer available or affordable.

• ある文章の意味

以下の文章で分からない個所があります。 This variability is true even of the use each one of us makes of language, 1.「This variability is true」と「even of the use」のつながり(文型)が分かりません。 trueとevenの間で文章が切れていると思うのですがいかがでしょうか? 2.「even of the use」と「each one of us makes of language」のつながり(文型)が分かりません。   それぞれが判断しているeven of the useと言う意味でしょうか? 3.evenのあとにofが来ているのですがこれはどの意味になりますでしょうか? 4.make of ...は「判断する」と言う意味でしょうか? 5.この文章の意味を教えて頂けないでしょうか? 宜しくお願いいたします。 補足 And a word or construction commonly accepted in one geographic area or by one particular group of people can be quite foreign to those in other locales or communities, even though all of them are speaking English. This variability is true even of the use each one of us makes of language, for our speaking and writing are frequently adjusted to the circumstances that surround them.

• この文章の和訳を教えてください。

3.1. Case of e=0 and i=0 We have first calculated 6000 orbits in the parameter range of b from b_min=1.9 to b_max=2.5 at intervals of 0.0001. It is already known from previous studies (Nishida, and Petit and Hénon) that no collision orbits exist outside this region.    The orbits vary in a complicated way with the value of parameter b (see Petit and Hénon, 1986). In spite of the complex behavior of the orbits, we can classify them in terms of the number of encounters with the two-body sphere, from the standpoint of finding collision orbits. The classes are: (a) non-encounter orbit, (b) n-recurrent non-collision orbit, and (c) n-recurrent collision orbit, where the term “n-recurrent orbit” means the particle encounters n-times with the two-body sphere. That is, n-recurrent non-collision (or collision) orbits are those which fly off to infinity (or collide with the protoplanet ) after n-times encounters with the two-body sphere, while non-recurrent orbits are those which fly off without penetrating the two-body sphere. Examples of orbits in the classes (a), (b), and (c) are illustrated in Figs. 2,3, and 4, respectively. The above classification of orbits will be utilized for developing numerical procedures for obtaining <P(e, i)>, as described in the next section. よろしくお願いします。

このQ&Aのポイント
  • 我が家のWin11PCは自作機3台目。時々生じるディスプレイの乱れは現在CPU内蔵GPUを使用している為から生じていません。
  • 乱れの原因はグラボにあると思っていますが、はっきりとしたことは分かりません。
  • NVIDIAのRTX3060か3060Tiが下落していますが、それらを買うなら、Intel第12世代Intel Core i5 12600K BOX+メーカー代理店保証が2年付与される、GYGABYTEマザーを買った方が宜しいのではないのでしょうか?価格的には同じです。手持ちのDDR4メモリ、CPUクーラー虎徹mrkⅡ、M.2SSD2本、電源、PCケース等が流用できます。
回答を見る